Remove Orange Apps on San Francisco, Simple Beginners Guide!

Guest xeyaztian

Hi, all seems well since uninstalling the crap, except for Orange Weather is running when i startup.

Is this where i do as DaveyP suggests above? Tbh not really sure how to edit an xml file. Do i locate that file and edit via the phone itself? Is it just a text file and i remove certain lines?

Sounds scary :)

Also wondering what is TouchPal? I got rid of the Spanish & French but left the english there as i thought it'd be important

Edited by Pia23

Is this where i do as DaveyP suggests above? Tbh not really sure how to edit an xml file. Do i locate that file and edit via the phone itself? Is it just a text file and i remove certain lines?

No

Editing the .xml is only for doing a bit of house keeping (where the files you removed are still showing as applications that have a 0 file size)

If your not sure then leave it alone, cos messing it up can bring an attack of bad karma

Edited by DaveyP

No

Editing the .xml is only for doing a bit of house keeping (where the files you removed are still showing as applications that have a 0 file size)

If your not sure then leave it alone, cos messing it up can bring an attack of bad karma

Ok, will stay away. Thanks :)

Guest xeyaztian

Touchpal is an alternative to the Android Keyboard, I'm not a fan of it, but that's just me!

And Orange weather can be replaced by a good weather app if you don't use it.

Guest milkykung

Hi all :)

I'm wondering how much space you guys gain back from uninstalling those Orange-branded apps. I'd imagine to be something like 30-40MB / less or more approximately??? I'm totally new to Android and feeling this thread might be a good way to go for me to free limited 150MB internal memory.

I'm hesistant to do this because my battery lasts 22 hr 50 mins based on "Battery left" calibration app and that is a moderate use throughout the day. And I think I can live with that. Do you guys go over 24 hours once no orange apps are running?

Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers,

Edited by milkykung

Hi all!

One question about debranding my SF doing it as described in first post - do I lose the ability to use clockworkmod with some of Pauls ROM's if wanted?

Newbie as I am ..... better start somewhere!

Would it be possible for anyone to share the standard email client to use with outlook as I unistalled the orange email.

I made this mistake to but I am now using K9 which I downloaded form the market.

It seems to work fine.

Guest nedian05
I made this mistake to but I am now using K9 which I downloaded form the market.

It seems to work fine.

I dont know the setting required by K-9 for Microsoft outlook. It was very easy in standard email application.

Guest Acathla-
Would it be possible for anyone to share the standard email client to use with outlook as I unistalled the orange email.

http://db.tt/zc1rTsG

This should be the standard 2.1 Email apk

adb remount

adb push Email.apk /system/app/

adb reboot

Edited by Acathla-

Whilst on the subject of email, i left the Orange one there as i like it a lot. Was working fine until an hour ago when it says "validating phone number" but gives "error validating phone number" so can no longer use it. Must admit i'm gutted as i liked it, will try K9 for now but wondered if anyone else has come across and found a solution.

Guest Acathla-
Whilst on the subject of email, i left the Orange one there as i like it a lot. Was working fine until an hour ago when it says "validating phone number" but gives "error validating phone number" so can no longer use it. Must admit i'm gutted as i liked it, will try K9 for now but wondered if anyone else has come across and found a solution.

hi Pia you stranger (NTHW!)!

Usually the Orange email app gives an 'error validating phone number' if you have a non-orange SIM in...

Get the Email.apk from my link above and install that - I think its very similair to Orange mail

Usually the Orange email app gives an 'error validating phone number' if you have a non-orange SIM in...

Get the Email.apk from my link above and install that - I think its very similair to Orange mail

Ha! Hi!! :) I am on Orange, have been for my whole life (honestly, i should break free one day)

Will have a looksee now, thanks!

Have just installed it, i was worried as it said i'd have to use the Paid version to connectot free email accounts (i assumed it means hotmail) but i've got it all up and running and looks good. Wish you could change the colour scheme though. Thanks :)

Guest targetbsp

I registered for the sole purpose of saying thanks for this thread! I saved about 100mb of system memory and the phone no longer sites on 100% cpu occupancy for ages after starting up. I removed the optionally suggested clocks and alarms.

The latest release version of androot kept telling me the phone was already rooted but the latest beta seemed to work fine. Titanium kept telling me I didn't have root access but in actual fact it just didn't like the busy box from the market - clicking the problem button so it gets it's own copy worked fine.

Guest milkykung
I registered for the sole purpose of saying thanks for this thread! I saved about 100mb of system memory and the phone no longer sites on 100% cpu occupancy for ages after starting up.

Thank you for confirming the 100MB memory freed after the whole process. I'll consider doing this as well :)

Cheers,

Hi again ..... "cleaned" my SF using method in this thread - worked like dream!! Really easy doing it! Thanks for this guide. Will have my SF this way 'til I "dare" put a nice ROM on it.

Guest twatter
Can somebody guide me how to install and root the phone please.

I downloaded the latest from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=747598) to my computer and dont know how to install into my my mobile and get it rooted.

I would appreciate that if guide me step by step.

Thanks

You need to read through the sickies..... and the following post

installing the modaco custom roms ... if it helps, say thanks to the person who created this post

Hopefully it will become clear....

Guest targetbsp

I don't think a post about installing custom roms is much going to help ali achieve what this thread is all about - namely getting rid of the orange junk without actually having to install custom roms :)

I downloaded androot onto my pc, copied it to the phone via usb cable, went to the filer app built into the phone and installed it from there. Once you've installed it, you then have an app (universal androot) with basically 2 buttons: root the phone and unroot it. Once it's rooted, load up titanium and click the problems button so it downloads the version of busy box it needs. Then you can uninstall the things you want in titaniums backup/restore tab. Once you're done, unroot it and finally you can uninstall busy box, titanium and androot.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Georgechalkida

Hallo guys..I am new to this forum and this is my first post.I want to ask you 2 questions.I want to remove some orange apps from my pfhone.What should i do..?? And the second question is that i can;t connect to 802.1 EAP wifi network Wheen i try it says "Type credential storage number"..What should i do..??

Thanx a lot and i hope we will be in touch really often..

By the way i am Greek and i study in U.K...!! :)