Remove Orange Apps on San Francisco, Simple Beginners Guide!

Guest xeyaztian

Guest targetbsp

Can you remove Global Time? It's the only non branded app that I envisage having no use for whatsoever.

[edit]

well, I removed it and nothing has broke yet. :)

Edited by targetbsp

I don't think a post about installing custom roms is much going to help ali achieve what this thread is all about - namely getting rid of the orange junk without actually having to install custom roms :)

I downloaded androot onto my pc, copied it to the phone via usb cable, went to the filer app built into the phone and installed it from there. Once you've installed it, you then have an app (universal androot) with basically 2 buttons: root the phone and unroot it. Once it's rooted, load up titanium and click the problems button so it downloads the version of busy box it needs. Then you can uninstall the things you want in titaniums backup/restore tab. Once you're done, unroot it and finally you can uninstall busy box, titanium and androot.

You are a super star, I done it. Thansk for your help.

Guest IPB_Refugee
Debranded my phone yesterday with success but two things remain to wipe - at boot; Orange logo + animated Orange screen. Anyone know what to wipe?

Hello,

I don't have an Android device yet but it should not be too difficult when you already rooted your phone:

- Download a usable bootanimation.zip and place it on root of your sdcard (directly in folder /sdcard).

- In Terminal type:

su

cp /data/local/bootanimation.zip /data/local/bootanimation_orig.zip

cp /sdcard/bootanimation.zip /data/local/

reboot
When something goes wrong, you can simply restore the original bootanimation from Orange:
su

cp /data/local/bootanimation_orig.zip /data/local/bootanimation.zip

reboot
Credits go to Houka420 from xda-developers. Source:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=744826
You can use ADP to change the bootscreen, too:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=717322
Here are some pretty bootscreens that should work for Orange San Francisco:
http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blade-blade-modaco-com/320463/idroid84-bootscreens-download/

I guess you will have to rename your desired bootscreen to bootanimation.zip, but that might be wrong. Just take a look at the /data/local folder to get the correct file name (you need superuser permissions for this) and also try to extract the zip file and take a look at its content.

Good luck and kind regards

Wolfgang

Guest milkykung
I downloaded androot onto my pc, copied it to the phone via usb cable, went to the filer app built into the phone and installed it from there. Once you've installed it, you then have an app (universal androot) with basically 2 buttons: root the phone and unroot it. Once it's rooted, load up titanium and click the problems button so it downloads the version of busy box it needs. Then you can uninstall the things you want in titaniums backup/restore tab. Once you're done, unroot it and finally you can uninstall busy box, titanium and androot.

Thank you for your nice walk-through. Please clarify something for a newbie like me, will you? ^.^ Does Titanium backup app free version work for this purpose or it needs to be a PRO version?

What about the "problems" button you mentioned in order for the app to download correct busybox version? Where can I find that option? After the busybox app is installed, can I start uninstalling app via Titanium?

Thank you very much in advance. I'm learning Android day after day :)

Cheers,

I tried to download universal Androot (all versions ) but it cones up as (cannot download. The content is not supported on this phone.) what can i do next ?

Guest spannerz

Thanks to the OP.... Now I've got my SF nice and unOranged....

I couldn't use Titanium pro... keep crashing when it tried to reboot after program removal... the SystemApp remover works a treat and a bargain for 64p

Thanks to all the help here!

Guest mumbinns

Many thanks,

I was able to get rid of all the Orange stuff I didn't want and declutter my phone.

I am a woman in my fifties with no technology background and I was able to download the apps and follow the instructions step by step without killing my phone. I say if you are thinking of doing this - go ahead and try it.

Guest milkykung
I am a woman in my fifties with no technology background and I was able to download the apps and follow the instructions step by step without killing my phone. I say if you are thinking of doing this - go ahead and try it.

Wow :D Thank you for sharing that info. It is very impressive and that could only mean you are now a real "tech savvy" lady :rolleyes: That gives me a motivation to do it :huh:

Did you use "Titanium" or "SystemApp Remover by Danesh" to uninstall Orange apps? I'm thinking to do it but so scared of bricking my phone :D How about your current memory space out of 150MB? Mine is like 41MB free :huh:

Cheers,

Edited by milkykung

Guest milkykung
How do you hide the orange stuff ? If I go into the Applications list, I can see them but can't find a way to hide them.

Hi :rolleyes:

I think you can go LauncherPro by clicking menu>Preferences>General Settings>Hidden app is right there on the menu. I'm not sure whether this feature is available in the free version as I'm using the paid one ^^

Hope this helps :huh:

Cheers,

Guest mumbinns
Wow :huh: Thank you for sharing that info. It is very impressive and that could only mean you are now a real "tech savvy" lady :rolleyes: That gives me a motivation to do it :huh:

Did you use "Titanium" or "SystemApp Remover by Danesh" to uninstall Orange apps? I'm thinking to do it but so scared of bricking my phone :D

Cheers,

I used the SystemApp Remover - It gave two lists of installed apps and I went through each list deleting the ones I 'knew' I could get rid of and it deleted each app one at a time. You get the chance to cancel each deletion. Once I was rid of the obvious stuff I did a second round of deletions during which I referred to several pages of this thread - as posters have updated the thread with more apps to delete.

good luck

Guest spannerz

I had much trouble getting this thing rooted and also I'm an idiot and new to smart phones or even slightly clever phones, so here's what I do: (sorry if this IS the way)

Copy universal Androot from my pc to the SD card on the SF (I created a folder called androot and copied into there)

Downloaded 'Astro' file manager from market place

Downloaded 'Busybox' from market place

Downloaded and paid 64p for 'SystemApp Remover' from market place

I started Astro file manager, located the Universal Androot file, open app manager, launch, select 'superuser for android 2.0-2.2, press 'Go Root' ignore that it says it's already rooted (cos it didn't work!) and press 'root me please' wait then it says 'woot your device is rooted' (sic), exit.

Run Busybox installer, click ok, click 'install', when it says 'Status:Done!' then exit *(maybe only have to do this the once?)

Run 'SystemApp remover' and now (and only when rooted) can you access the'system apps' tab to uninstall 'System Apps' (Orange apps)

Scroll through list of crud to remove (maybe use the 'backup' option before uninstalling for good just in case.

hope that helps other clueless twerps like me :rolleyes:

I'm happy for someone to correct me but I tried and tried and couldn't get it to work without doing the above. I had no luck with Titanium as it kept erroring but maybe I hadn't rooted it despite trying!

Edited by spannerz

Guest delboymel

A very easy guide even for me!! Just one thing, after uninstalling the apps i don't need, is it ok to leave:

Universal Androot

System App Remover

BusyBox

on my phone in case i need them again???

My internal space is now down to 77%MB Free - shame i didn't make a note of what it was before i uninstalled the Orange stuff (doh!)

Guest milkykung
I used the SystemApp Remover - It gave two lists of installed apps and I went through each list deleting the ones I 'knew' I could get rid of and it deleted each app one at a time. You get the chance to cancel each deletion. Once I was rid of the obvious stuff I did a second round of deletions during which I referred to several pages of this thread - as posters have updated the thread with more apps to delete.

good luck

TYVM4ur reply and details of what you did.

I had much trouble getting this thing rooted and also I'm an idiot and new to smart phones or even slightly clever phones, so here's what I do: (sorry if this IS the way)

Copy universal Androot from my pc to the SD card on the SF (I created a folder called androot and copied into there)

Downloaded 'Astro' file manager from market place

Downloaded 'Busybox' from market place

Downloaded and paid 64p for 'SystemApp Remover' from market place

I started Astro file manager, located the Universal Androot file, open app manager, launch, select 'superuser for android 2.0-2.2, press 'Go Root' ignore that it says it's already rooted (cos it didn't work!) and press 'root me please' wait then it says 'woot your device is rooted' (sic), exit.

Run Busybox installer, click ok, click 'install', when it says 'Status:Done!' then exit *(maybe only have to do this the once?)

Run 'SystemApp remover' and now (and only when rooted) can you access the'system apps' tab to uninstall 'System Apps' (Orange apps)

Scroll through list of crud to remove (maybe use the 'backup' option before uninstalling for good just in case.

hope that helps other clueless twerps like me :huh:

I'm happy for someone to correct me but I tried and tried and couldn't get it to work without doing the above. I had no luck with Titanium as it kept erroring but maybe I hadn't rooted it despite trying!

THank you for a detailed walk-through. Congrats for that :huh:

A very easy guide even for me!! Just one thing, after uninstalling the apps i don't need, is it ok to leave:

Universal Androot

System App Remover

BusyBox

on my phone in case i need them again???

My internal space is now down to 77%MB Free - shame i didn't make a note of what it was before i uninstalled the Orange stuff (doh!)

TY4ur info on percentage of free space after removing Orange system apps :D That's really a lot :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Guest madsam106
Thank you for your nice walk-through. Please clarify something for a newbie like me, will you? ^.^ Does Titanium backup app free version work for this purpose or it needs to be a PRO version?

What about the "problems" button you mentioned in order for the app to download correct busybox version? Where can I find that option? After the busybox app is installed, can I start uninstalling app via Titanium?

Thank you very much in advance. I'm learning Android day after day :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Many thanks from me, just done it and works fine.

It needed to be put in clear steps like that for me to do it

I used this guide and all worked well.

The only thing is the free space on the sd card, usb mass storage etc has only changed by a meg or two. 124 meg free

If you look at applications/running services it shows 239 meg available.

Used Titanium ang got rid of most orange stuff, games demos and touch pal.

Building myself up to flash at some stage but thought there would be a bigger gain in memory here.

Is this correct or have I fluffed this simple process?

Cheers Gordy

Guest xeyaztian

Shawn0 if it seems dodgy, then you're going to be an Android Newbie for a while and I recommend an iPhone to you! And if you read the thread, you'll see it isn't dodgy! (Sounds blunt but saying things like that is quite trollish??!?!)

Spannerz, that's correct, and glad it worked! Backup is a good idea aswell!

Mumbinns thats great, it is simple, even being classed as young at 21 I still find some things hard!

Milkykung, this wont brick youre phone, I mean if you dont delete an important app/demo then youll be fine!

Also for others, Titanium looks like it works for everyone, but I haven't tried it so don't know, but I think it does...

Edited by xeyaztian

Guest spike69

My first post here and it's a positive one, thanks for the advice on this it worked a treat, I'm suitably impressed by this phone.

I think I have removed all the Orangey bits I don't want, except the start up logo with the Orange square. Is this something that can be removed as well?

Edited by spike69

Guest jasonXXx
My first post here and it's a positive one, thanks for the advice on this it worked a treat, I'm suitably impressed by this phone.

I think I have removed all the Orangey bits I don't want, except the start up logo with the Orange square. Is this something that can be removed as well?

Yes but you would need to unpack the boot image if you use superboot it will be removed.

Guest spike69
Yes but you would need to unpack the boot image if you use superboot it will be removed.

Thanks for the reply, so its not something I could have removed using SystemApp remover?

Guest milkykung
Milkykung, this wont brick youre phone, I mean if you dont delete an important app/demo then youll be fine!

Thank you so much for re-assuring me "xeyaztian" :rolleyes: I strictly follows your steps and advice by others as being a newbie myself :huh: No trouble at all :huh:

For now, I just managed to root my SFDroid by Universal Androot after several trials without installing Superuser, soft-root option etc. I did root it in the end and installed Shootme. Thank you so much everyone, you guys rock and help each other out ^.^

Here are some of my snapshots: Click HERE :D

Edited by milkykung