[kernel][Overclocked] Overclocked kernel

Guest Stephen Hyde

Guest popoyaya
Ok, this seems pretty good. Palmary is a fair bit smoother than Froyo. Only problem is battery status as already known, and I can't seem to short press the power button to lock the screen, even though the long press works fine.

"Palmary" what? Froyo is an Android operating system. Palmary is a company that makes software that runs on Android and other phones.

"Palmary" what? Froyo is an Android operating system. Palmary is a company that makes software that runs on Android and other phones.

That should have read a fair bit smoother than on Froyo.

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest oh!dougal
My custom ROM (based on the french blade ROM) and optional overclocking updates:

<...>

Kalit, is there anywhere that a 'catalogue' for the rom could be found, maybe with a 'known issues' list? (Like is the battery indication fixed?) And presumably everything flashes in simply with Clockwork?

PS -- and would the speedups flash update other french-based roms, or are they dependent on anything else that you might have put in as a foundation?

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest kallt_kaffe
Kalit, is there anywhere that a 'catalogue' for the rom could be found, maybe with a 'known issues' list? (Like is the battery indication fixed?) And presumably everything flashes in simply with Clockwork?

PS -- and would the speedups flash update other french-based roms, or are they dependent on anything else that you might have put in as a foundation?

- Official thread: http://www.swedroid.se/forum/showthread.php?t=25609 (in swedish) I'll propably make a "international" thread here or at xda-developers later when time allows.

- Flash with Clockwork

- The boot.img will only work with my rom for two reasons. My ROM has the modified keylayout to fix the powerbutton issue and init.rc also depends on /system/bin/userinit.sh that set's a propery after called Apps2SD. Without it, init.rc won't proceed.

Guest kallt_kaffe
looks like thats for me to investigate then :rolleyes:

Oh, I'll get there and help you out eventually, remember I just got my blade the other day... Give me some time to catch up. :huh:

Guest jasonXXx
- Official thread: http://www.swedroid.se/forum/showthread.php?t=25609 (in swedish) I'll propably make a "international" thread here or at xda-developers later when time allows.

- Flash with Clockwork

- The boot.img will only work with my rom for two reasons. My ROM has the modified keylayout to fix the powerbutton issue and init.rc also depends on /system/bin/userinit.sh that set's a propery after called Apps2SD. Without it, init.rc won't proceed.

Any chance you can make a boot.img with overclock enabled and userinit.sh enabled for the uk 2.1 orange rom please?

Guest Sebastian404

- Flash with Clockwork

How about srtarting your own thread for the ROM here, use Paul or mine as a 'guide' for how to format it :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tiny Jacky

overclocking would be very helpful for this 600Mhz device

keep going, I'm waiting for a kernel with all functions working on 2.2 :P

Edited by Tiny Jacky

Guest JayGB1982

I'm still yet to get my hands on a San Fran but after weeks of reading this site it looks live the devs are doing a great job!

I'm personally looking forward to the possibility of a under-volted kernel. After reading most the info on this forum battery life is the one thing i'm concerned about!

Guest kallt_kaffe

Overclocking has been done and has been successful to levels around 672-729.6MHz (individual for every phone) but using the 19.2MHz multiples to clock the CPU (which seems to be the only alternative to go above 600MHz) and not using the standard PLL clocks seems to degrade 3D performance. Propably some bus speed timings that gets less optimal when we switch clock for the CPU. So basicly you'll get a phone that is faster on number chrunching but is slower in 3D games/apps. I will reintroduce overclocking addons to the Hungarian Hedgehog ROM soon as it has been reported to make the popular game Angry Birds run faster (propably a very CPU intensive game due to it's physics calculations).

Undervolting should be possible, I haven't tried but I know what parameter to change to lower the voltage on step for the 600MHz level. Not sure how much it will help with battery life though. There are a lot of stuff other than the CPU that consumes power like wifi, gsm, display, sensors, gps etc...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oh!dougal
Overclocking has been done and has been successful to levels around 672-729.6MHz (individual for every phone) but using the 19.2MHz multiples to clock the CPU (which seems to be the only alternative to go above 600MHz) and not using the standard PLL clocks seems to degrade 3D performance. Propably some bus speed timings that gets less optimal when we switch clock for the CPU. So basicly you'll get a phone that is faster on number chrunching but is slower in 3D games/apps. I will reintroduce overclocking addons to the Hungarian Hedgehog ROM soon as it has been reported to make the popular game Angry Birds run faster (propably a very CPU intensive game due to it's physics calculations).

Undervolting should be possible, I haven't tried but I know what parameter to change to lower the voltage on step for the 600MHz level. Not sure how much it will help with battery life though. There are a lot of stuff other than the CPU that consumes power like wifi, gsm, display, sensors, gps etc...

Ummm. How about UNDER clocking?

I note from System Info that my phone (running HH latest) sleeps and screen saves at 245mhz.

The 122 speed appears to be theoretically available, but never used.

Does it work? Would it be useful?

The 320 and 480mhz speeds do seem to be used but only for a tiny fraction of the time.

Any knowledge about what's going on there?

Guest kallt_kaffe

Just to let you know... Been trying to understand how the overclocking works the last few days and I have done some improvements...

(all Neocore scores are without sound)

600MHz (stock frequency)

Linpack : 3.665, 3.716

Neocore : 37.4, 36.9, 35.8(hwui)

Quadrant: 379, 406 (hwui)

691.2MHz (overclocked)

Linpack : 4.381, 4.272, 4.376, 4.347(hwui)

Neocore : 42.2, 42.4, 37.2(hwui)

Quadrant: 447, 474, 473(hwui), 507(hwui)

For those who have tried the some benchmarks with the "old" overclocking know the only score that improves is the linpack score. Neocore with the old method goes down to something like 28fps when overclocked to 691.2MHz. Quadrant usally got down scores around 350-370. There's still a performance penalty in Neocore when enabling hardware UI accelleration. Quadrant on the other hand increases slightly with hardware UI.