[kernel][Overclocked] Overclocked kernel

Guest Stephen Hyde

Guest kallt_kaffe
Sorry for the double post, but Kallt, do you have any idea what to change to give this kernel a voltage bump?

Yes, but I believe 600MHz and above is allready using the highest available voltage but I'll have another look at it.

Yes, but I believe 600MHz and above is allready using the highest available voltage but I'll have another look at it.

I hope that's not the case, but thanks for looking. 768mhz seems stable for me without HWUI, though certain apps run a lot slower without HWUI for some reason.

Edit: Also, would AHB go up to 400mhz? lol.

Edited by cobhc

Guest kallt_kaffe
Sorry for the double post, but Kallt, do you have any idea what to change to give this kernel a voltage bump?

From the looks of it, it cannot be done. The voltage settings seems to use 3 bits which gives values from 0-7 and 600MHz is allready using the highest setting(7).

From the looks of it, it cannot be done. The voltage settings seems to use 3 bits which gives values from 0-7 and 600MHz is allready using the highest setting(7).

Aww, that is a shame. Oh well, I'm still very pleased with 768mhz and no HWUI, it's very very snappy.

Edit:- Could AHB be pushed to 400mhz you think? Also does this seem to be something that gets overclocked on other phones?

Edit2:- Could you try a 800mhz oc kernel for me to play with as 768mhz with no HWUI seems pretty stable for me, I'd love to try higher.

Edited by cobhc

Guest tonnikala

With boot_ahb_overclocked.img kernel @ 768 MHz:

Neocore, sound off: 42.2 fps

Linpack: 4.905

Quadrant: 573 (do I need full version to view scores on different tests?)

Every test was ran twice and these were the highest scores.

Seems stable, maybe it would be nice try overclock to something around ~800Mhz. Phone is Finnish Blade with Finnsh Fillyonk RLS2. I will try with hwui on (I think it's disabled by default)

Yeah, it's disabled by default.

HWUI seems to speed up some things for me (mainly 2D games and emulators), but also slows Launcher Pro down. Even with the same clock speed with and without HWUI I can see a big drop in performance on Launcher Pro.

With HWUI enabled you won't get higher than 729 stable IME.

Guest tonnikala

.. tests continued @ 768, hwui on, sound off:

Neocore: 38.0 fps

Linpack: 4.909

Quadrant: 570

So Neocore dropped but Linpack and Quadrant was the same. I can't feel that the LauncherPro is slower with hwui on...

768 was stable at least for benchmarks. Maybe I try setcpu stress test as a stability test. Working JIT would be nice for a Eclair (at least it will give better benchmark results :) ). That is the biggest (speed) advance when compared to froyo...

Edited by tonnikala

I do have a semi working libdvm.so for Eclair which enables some form of JIT, but it only gives a small boost. Strange how LauncherPro seems the same to you with HWUI on, maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance to settle down after changing the setting and rebooting.

I've hit 46.3 on Neocore with 768mhz, near 590 on Quadrant, and 4.95 in Linpack.

The modified libdvm.so bought Quadrant to something like 650, and Linpack to 5.9 I think, I didn't test Neocore.

And to answer your question above, yes you do need the advanced version of Quadrant to see individual scores.

Edited by cobhc

Guest tonnikala

SetCpu stress test ran 30 min after I stopped it - no errors. I continue with 768 MHz / hwui on and lets see how stable it is as everyday use.

You got ~10-15% better score on Neocore... that's a quite lot.

SetCpu stress test ran 30 min after I stopped it - no errors. I continue with 768 MHz / hwui on and lets see how stable it is as everyday use.

You got ~10-15% better score on Neocore... that's a quite lot.

That was without HWUI, so it's only a little better than your score.

Guest Phoenix Silver

i had Quadrant : 879 with fibblesan 2.2 rom

neocore : 36.7

with daily apps open, normal use of the phone.

Edited by Phoenix Silver

Guest tonnikala

Yep, but 2.2 has JIT as default and that makes Quandrant scores to bump up. I would like to have the best possible 3D speed and Neocore is best for that (when compairing kernels / roms).

And it possbile to get over 1k @ Quadrant with Froyo, but the phone itself isn't two times faster than with Eclair rom. As normal use the difference (responsiveness) is quite minimal.

Guest Phoenix Silver
I've had 1072 on the Modaco 2.2 rom, we're talking about 2.1, not 2.2.

yeah i know it was just for info :)

(linpack 7.051)

Edited by Phoenix Silver

Guest kallt_kaffe
Aww, that is a shame. Oh well, I'm still very pleased with 768mhz and no HWUI, it's very very snappy.

Edit:- Could AHB be pushed to 400mhz you think?

It's currently set to Cpuspeed/2 in the agressive AHB overclock version. The more moderate version uses cpuspeed/3 which is the default for the 600MHz mode. Next step would be Cpuspeed/1 which is, well, same speed as the CPU and while I haven't tried I am pretty sure that won't work well.

Also does this seem to be something that gets overclocked on other phones?
Not as far as I know but I haven't looked for it either.

Edit2:- Could you try a 800mhz oc kernel for me to play with as 768mhz with no HWUI seems pretty stable for me, I'd love to try higher.
I'll compile a version with more speeds enabled when I get time. I didn't expect anyone to be able to run 768MHz stable but I guess I was wrong.

It's currently set to Cpuspeed/2 in the agressive AHB overclock version. The more moderate version uses cpuspeed/3 which is the default for the 600MHz mode. Next step would be Cpuspeed/1 which is, well, same speed as the CPU and while I haven't tried I am pretty sure that won't work well.

Not as far as I know but I haven't looked for it either.

I'll compile a version with more speeds enabled when I get time. I didn't expect anyone to be able to run 768MHz stable but I guess I was wrong.

You sir, are the man! :) *waits impatiently*

Guest tonnikala

*waits impatiently*

So do I :)

Is there any possibilities to get working JIT on Eclair / Blade? There was for HTC Hero (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=659756), but that doesn't work at all on Blade. kallt_kaffe's Eclair is working so fine that I don't have any hurry to get Froyo.

Guest kallt_kaffe

Have ANYONE hade ANY issues with the AHB overclocking? Like not being able to overclock as high as before or even not booting at all? I'm considering making it the default in FFJ RLS3. I can overclock just as high with AHB agressivly overclocked as with the more moderate AHB overclocking and it gives a noticable Quadrant score increase even att 600MHz so it's all positive so far.

• 2 weeks later...