How to: Install CM6.1 (beta 0.30), DTApps2SD, and OC kernel

Guest twrock

How it is possible to make in customisations that at screen disconnecting it was switched off 3G the and remained in operation only 2G (EDGE)?

Sorry, I don't know. But I will suggest that your post this question over in the CM6 Discussion/Help thread. You might have more chance of getting an answer there since this thread is mostly about installation.

Guest roockycoller
The 710 oc kernel working great for me too. I've been using it for two days without problems.

Where can I find the 710 oc kernel? You just have to flash it with clockwork or you need some special sequence?

Thanks in advance

Guest agitate
How it is possible to make in customisations that at screen disconnecting it was switched off 3G the and remained in operation only 2G (EDGE)?

I'm using this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=739530

Works really well, and the switch back to 3G when you turn the screen back on (on T-mobile UK at least) is very quick (~3 seconds). Saved me lots of battery life so far.

Guest Eagleman1971

Hi

The guide is fantastic. This was my first upgrade of an Android Phone and it went smootly (almost :rolleyes: ).

Btw i have a u8320. So, seems everything went fine but... but i dont have the File Manager icon in the applications list.

Is it that is missing in Froyo or in my install? I want to browse on the card to lounch some installs of apps locally but cant do it :huh:))

Guest iKrautDroid
The 710 oc kernel working great for me too. I've been using it for two days without problems.

how can i get this overclock kernel? Do I have to flash a certain zip and where can I download it? Or do I have to enter a certain syntax?

Pleas help!

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Guest Fusion0306
how can i get this overclock kernel? Do I have to flash a certain zip and where can I download it? Or do I have to enter a certain syntax?

Pleas help!

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

You have to flash it from recovery. It's somewhere in the overclock thread.

Guest iKrautDroid
You have to flash it from recovery. It's somewhere in the overclock thread.

Checked out the overclock thread but there are so many differnt links and kernels.

could you please tell me what youre kernel is called, maybe even post a link or at least tell me on wich page you found it.

the thread has 20!

thanks again

Hi

The guide is fantastic. This was my first upgrade of an Android Phone and it went smootly (almost :rolleyes: ).

Btw i have a u8320. So, seems everything went fine but... but i dont have the File Manager icon in the applications list.

Is it that is missing in Froyo or in my install? I want to browse on the card to lounch some installs of apps locally but cant do it :huh:))

You are correct. It is not there. I suggest you download the free Andexplorer from the Market as a replacement.

Guest Hubert FONGARNAND
I also have a U8230 and the 691 MHz OC kernel works fine for me...

I always wonder why U8230 owners install U8220 roms (UK update) on their phones... You should be using the official U8230 2.1 update for your phone, not an update for a slightly different phone, with different partition sizes...

I'm sorry... but i've not seen any other official update (than the UK update or tre or hungarian) for the U8230... could you provide links?

Guest Hubert FONGARNAND
I also have a U8230 and the 691 MHz OC kernel works fine for me...

I always wonder why U8230 owners install U8220 roms (UK update) on their phones... You should be using the official U8230 2.1 update for your phone, not an update for a slightly different phone, with different partition sizes...

Ok, i've updated my U8230 with official RBM2 (Austria) update... and reflashed CM6.1 0.3... and i've the same problem... the only working kernel is the original one (528 Mhz)... If i try a different kernel... it boot loop!

Guest iKrautDroid
This 691 CM kernel works.

Flibble's (if i'm right) 710 fixed CM kernel works.

-----

-----

Quake III Arena

--

Non-OC: 13FPS average

691MHz: 19FPS average

710MHz: 20FPS average

--

Whom gamers should say "Pleeease, make a faster kernel for us to have tempting 24fps! B) :) :)"

?

where did you get that 710 mhz kernel

Guest iKrautDroid
I'm still reading about people having problems with installing and running the other OC kernels (as you have mentioned yourself here). So I haven't gone back to try it myself.

My primary intention here is to have a relatively simple set of instructions that works for "98.6%" of the people who follow it, so I'm trying to stay conservative about it. And I'm only listing in that first post what I have actually done and can duplicate and can verify myself. So for the time being, that is the 691MHz kernel.

But, as others have posted even as far back as the first page of this thread, other OC kernels seem to work fine for at least some of the people who install them. So my hope is that if people can get the "basic" installation to work, they should understand how to choose a different OC kernel and get that to install as well.

Please post the kernels because i cant find any good ones.

Guest jordanclarke69

hey group, help please!!

i upgraded to android 2.1 mod v1.7 with the ultimate pulse owners guide. as it went so easy, i figured i'd try 2.2 using twrock's guide.

this involves going back to the official 2.1 but now i can only get a mixture of 2.1 official and 2.1 mod. for example, my phone now has the 2.1official background them and extra apps but also the teminal emulator that's on the mod. i've re-done the official and mod guide several times nothing's changing. any ideas??

also, once i made the partition for swap and apps2sd on my card, do i need to do the 'partition' step each time, because when i look at the properties of my 2gb card on my pc, it is only showing about 1.4gb?? or does the sd card keep the partition so i just need to wipe and install new versions??

and finallly....(sorry)...... on twrocks guide he mentions i should be able to find clcokwork recovery elsewhere, but i've done a search for it on this site, and i honestly can't find it anywhere????

i upgraded to android 2.1 mod v1.7 with the ultimate pulse owners guide. as it went so easy, i figured i'd try 2.2 using twrock's guide.

this involves going back to the official 2.1 but now i can only get a mixture of 2.1 official and 2.1 mod. for example, my phone now has the 2.1official background them and extra apps but also the teminal emulator that's on the mod. i've re-done the official and mod guide several times nothing's changing. any ideas??

You need to wipe the phone (from recovery) before reinstalling the 2.1 official ROM.

Guest jordanclarke69

so i just tried to install the 2.1 mod exactly as the guide says..... (which worked fine the first time)

and even though i'm creating a backup, wiping, flashing the v1.7termfix, doing the partition, and restoring.....

the phone sets up and starts off the phone but in the 2.1 official!! wtf!

could this have anything to do with the partition in the card i've made? as i said earlier, when a look at the properties of the card via my pc, it only see's 1.4gb?? do i need to make the partition everytime?

also, i just thought... the first time i did it at Step 4: Plug your device into your computer and wait for the drivers to be installed (Windows Only)

i remember getting a little pop up in my pc saying it installed new drivers. but it hasn't done it since (maybe because it only needs to do it once??)??

Edited by jordanclarke69

and finallly....(sorry)...... on twrocks guide he mentions i should be able to find clcokwork recovery elsewhere, but i've done a search for it on this site, and i honestly can't find it anywhere????

Here's the link to Clockwork Recovery. I'll go back and put this link in the first post here as well.

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...covery-2-5-0-4/

hey group, help please!!

also, once i made the partition for swap and apps2sd on my card, do i need to do the 'partition' step each time, because when i look at the properties of my 2gb card on my pc, it is only showing about 1.4gb?? or does the sd card keep the partition so i just need to wipe and install new versions??

It is not required that you "go back" to 2.1 official to install CM6.1beta0.30. But you need to have Clockwork Recovery installed and you need to have "some" 2.1 rom installed. And you need to do a full wipe of the phone.

I only suggest that people who are having problems getting things to work consider reinstalling the official UK2.1 rom to try to solve their problems. But if you do a factory reset/data wipe, that should suffice for the vast majority of people.

If you have correctly made the ext2 partition for your apps2sd and swap partition for swapping, there is no reason to do that again each time. But since Windows can only see your fat32 partition and can't see ext2 or swap partitions, you are being told by Windows that you only have 1.4 gb of space on your 2 gb card. The rest of the space is now in those other two partitions. If you looked at that card with a Linux machine, you would (hopefully) see all three partitions.

So yes, you just need to wipe your phone and install the new rom you want. Those partitions stay there until you choose to delete them (assuming you got them there correctly in the first place).

Edited by twrock

Guest Fulcrum_X

Hi,

First post here, but since march this year I'm lurking around for all the great work and news about the Pulse.

At this moment I'm trying to get the CM6.1 ROM working on my 8220, after I'd always used stock roms (1.5 and later the HU 2.1, then UK 2.1). However it seems like it's getting stuck in the proces. This is exactly what I did:

- Flashed UK 2.1 again.

- Wiped my SD and made a Fat32 partition, EXT2 and a (Linux) Swap (it's a class 2 SD though). Put all the zips on the SD.

- Installed ROM manager (free, with ads) and wanted to flash the Pulse ROM. However, I got an error because my phone isn't rooted.

- Booted into Fastboot and started install-recovery-windows.bat from the recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.4-pulse.zip on my Windows 7 machine (drivers Pulse seemed to be installed fine).

- Rebooted Pulse into Recovery mode (Clockwork), did a backup, wiped phone and wiped battery stats.

- Loaded and installed all zips, mentioned in the starting post of this thread.

- Rebooted... I see "A N D R O I D" in text appearing on the screen. I read in the startpost it might take long.. I waited over 30 minutes before I put out the battery. I mean, this is too long, right? Put back the battery and booted the phone. Again Android in text, nothing more.

Am I too quick giving up, or did I something wrong here? First time installing a custom ROM, but not sure what I did wrong. I hope someone out here can give me some assistance, I would appreciate it :-)

Edit: Didn't knew what was wrong, so I wanted to go back to the stock 2.1. I noticed I accidentally erased the Nandroid backup as well. Put back the 2.1 update on the SD card and wanted to update, got the ANDROID white text again. After adjusting some things I noticed the SD card wasn't mounted. After mounting the SD card the firmware update is running again. I wonder if that was the problem as well why it wouldn't boot into CM6.1... oh well maybe I'll try again later or tomorrow ;-)

Edited by Fulcrum_X

Hi,

First post here, but since march this year I'm lurking around for all the great work and news about the Pulse.

At this moment I'm trying to get the CM6.1 ROM working on my 8220, after I'd always used stock roms (1.5 and later the HU 2.1, then UK 2.1). However it seems like it's getting stuck in the proces. This is exactly what I did:

- Flashed UK 2.1 again.

- Wiped my SD and made a Fat32 partition, EXT2 and a (Linux) Swap (it's a class 2 SD though). Put all the zips on the SD.

- Installed ROM manager (free, with ads) and wanted to flash the Pulse ROM. However, I got an error because my phone isn't rooted.

- Booted into Fastboot and started install-recovery-windows.bat from the recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.4-pulse.zip on my Windows 7 machine (drivers Pulse seemed to be installed fine).

- Rebooted Pulse into Recovery mode (Clockwork), did a backup, wiped phone and wiped battery stats.

- Loaded and installed all zips, mentioned in the starting post of this thread.

- Rebooted... I see "A N D R O I D" in text appearing on the screen. I read in the startpost it might take long.. I waited over 30 minutes before I put out the battery. I mean, this is too long, right? Put back the battery and booted the phone. Again Android in text, nothing more.

Am I too quick giving up, or did I something wrong here? First time installing a custom ROM, but not sure what I did wrong. I hope someone out here can give me some assistance, I would appreciate it :-)

Edit: Didn't knew what was wrong, so I wanted to go back to the stock 2.1. I noticed I accidentally erased the Nandroid backup as well. Put back the 2.1 update on the SD card and wanted to update, got the ANDROID white text again. After adjusting some things I noticed the SD card wasn't mounted. After mounting the SD card the firmware update is running again. I wonder if that was the problem as well why it wouldn't boot into CM6.1... oh well maybe I'll try again later or tomorrow ;-)

Yes, 30 minutes is way too long. (Something like five minutes might not be.)

I suggest you start over, and this time only do the steps in the guide exactly as it says. Don't add to it (i.e. try to do something from RomManager; there is nothing about RomManger in the guide) or skip anything that is in the guide.

You said you've successfully installed the stock UK2.1 rom (by flashing the /dload/updata.app) and have Clockwork Recovery installed, so installing the CM rom should work for you too. But you need to follow the guide precisely.

Alternately, you can have a look at this thread and see if that goes better for you:

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...d-on-beta-0-30/

(But don't misunderstand the "no wipe required" comment Richard has there; I suggest you do a full wipe.)

Edited by twrock

Guest Fulcrum_X
Yes, 30 minutes is way too long. (Something like five minutes might not be.)

I suggest you start over, and this time only do the steps in the guide exactly as it says. Don't add to it (i.e. try to do something from RomManager; there is nothing about RomManger in the guide) or skip anything that is in the guide.

You said you've successfully installed the stock UK2.1 rom (by flashing the /dload/updata.app) and have Clockwork Recovery installed, so installing the CM rom should work for you too. But you need to follow the guide precisely.

Alternately, you can have a look at this thread and see if that goes better for you:

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...d-on-beta-0-30/

(But don't misunderstand the "no wipe required" comment Richard has there; I suggest you do a full wipe.)

Hi twrock, thanks for your reply.

I was checking the "The Ultimate Pulse Owners Guide" and the installation thread for Clockwork recovery by Flibble. I was a bit confused which steps exactly to follow, because it was also referring to those threads.

Oh well, I'll try again tonight! I hope I get it working this time. Thanks!