ROM cm6 AIO v7 (based on beta 0.40)

Guest Richard_Arkless

Guest Richard_Arkless
Can I still install a theme on this?!

With the high density level I mean.

I really like the Blue S Theme and would like to install that one again.

As long as it is made for cm 0.4 then yes

Weve gone over what lcd density is but ill go over it again

lcd density in simple terms makes everything smaller so that more items get displaced on the screen, Advantages? more screen realstate, makes it seem you got a higher resolution, text are easier to read

Disadvantages: could in theory use more system resources but I havent noticed a speed difference and also some apps aint built for the lcd density so some apps aint always full screen

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Back on 0.3, 0ne of the files I deleted for my "personal" rom was the bootanimation. Did I unknowingly create the necessary space for my additional apps by doing that? Am I correct in concluding that space created anywhere in /system is space available for additional apps in /system/app?

What are the consequences for deleting the boot animation and not replacing it with another one?

Does the phone still boot?

Or causes it to hang after the "Android" boot image?

Would really like to know, cause more space = more speed = more fun!

Guest Richard_Arkless
What are the consequences for deleting the boot animation and not replacing it with another one?

Does the phone still boot?

Or causes it to hang after the "Android" boot image?

Would really like to know, cause more space = more speed = more fun!

It continues to boot, it will either have the default android loading screen or just a black screen

Guest Berndvh
This is a bug in cm6.1 port in general so its a bug in this rom and the original rom from tom, I think this bug isnt in the official cm roms

The best I can say you do is install blade wifi fix which turns the wifi off then back on as soon as you turn on the screen and unlock it or wait for someone to find the fix

hmm thnx for the reply i will try that!

keep up the good work ;D

Guest AntonioPT
Back on 0.3, 0ne of the files I deleted for my "personal" rom was the bootanimation. Did I unknowingly create the necessary space for my additional apps by doing that? Am I correct in concluding that space created anywhere in /system is space available for additional apps in /system/app?

Yes, /system and /system/app are on the same partition, so if you free space in some folder inside /system, you will have more space for putting apks in /system/app.

Guest AntonioPT
Wow, amazing how "common knowledge" gets to be common. Enough of us "solved" the DT Apps2SD problem by removing RomManager, so we all assumed it was that specific app. But really, we're just back to a space problem! Crazy.

But is Tom's 0.4 larger than 0.3? Is there more in /system/apps? Because I did try 0.4 and Flib's Gapps as a fresh install and had the problem. In 0.3, there was enough space, and I didn't have that problem there.

But, I think there are plenty of apps that are better put into /data anyway for future updating purposes. Better to fill the rom with apps that aren't likely to change and are more critical to getting the initial system to run well.

+1 to apps in /data. It's much easier to uninstall, replace and update apps in the /data partition, giving the user greater app control and freedom.

IMHO, Rom Manager, Twitter, Maps, Facebook and every app that can be installed through the Market should either be placed on /data or not be in the ROM at all, as users can easily install ONLY the apps they want.

Guest Richard_Arkless
+1 to apps in /data. It's much easier to uninstall, replace and update apps in the /data partition, giving the user greater app control and freedom.

IMHO, Rom Manager, Twitter, Maps, Facebook and every app that can be installed through the Market should either be placed on /data or not be in the ROM at all, as users can easily install ONLY the apps they want.

So do you propose to move all gapps except for the market to data bacause you can now get them from the market, if so then im willing to create and upload a modified version of gapps

Guest AntonioPT
So do you propose to move all gapps except for the market to data bacause you can now get them from the market, if so then im willing to create and upload a modified version of gapps

That would be nice :)

BTW, can you download Navigation from Market or does it come included with Maps?

If you want any help let me know and I'll try to help when I have some free time.

Guest Richard_Arkless
That would be nice :)

BTW, can you download Navigation from Market or does it come included with Maps?

If you want any help let me know and I'll try to help when I have some free time.

it should be fairly simple to do considering the flb gapps has done most of the work when it comes to the updater script, ill also update the apps to the latest versions if I have time

edit: do we need the 3 htc type apk's in the flb gapps

I am currently running AIO v3 - it used to always show a lot of running apps in ES Task Manager and only around 15M Available Memory, and would occasionaly reboot

I have used a2sd to set lowmem-moderate and now I have fewer running apps (as per pre Froyo ROMS), more available memory and no reboots (so far!), but my swap partition is not fully used

Shouldn't all of the infrequently used apps have been moved to swap to free up memory, rather than having to be killed off by memory management ?

Is it that without 'lowmem-moderate' my swap partition was being filled up but couldn't accomodate enough apps and I therefore ran out of normal memory ?

My swap partition is currently set to 32Mb (although it is reported as 59460 by 'free') - should I expand swap to be 64Mb and change lowmem back to default ? (which I could do while updating to AIO v4)

Thanks

Interesting discussion. I'll weigh in.

If you do that to the extreme, then you've got a bunch of wasted space in the /system partition that a lot of people won't be able to use anyway. I'm thinking you might as well install the "standard" set of apps there that most everyone wants to have when they finish the basic install. That seems close to what is happening at the moment. Is my thinking flawed?

Personally, I have to modify whatever rom I want to use to make at least enough space for Chinese handwriting. But I think the percentage of people who really need the extra space in /system is pretty small. Might as well fill it with something. Those apps that can be updated via the Market will still get updated even if there is an extra copy left over in the rom. Is that not correct?

And personally, I find it a little frustrating to boot into a rom for the first time and not be able to find the "standard" set of apps. So I'd suggest that even the apps that a lot of people will replace if they can (think Filemanager), still should show up in at least /data.

Finally, I still don't understand why we aren't being given an error message during rom installation that the /system partition is over full. It gives the impression that the install worked, when it really didn't. Is this a function of the install script or Recovery?

Just my $0.02.

Guest Richard_Arkless
I am currently running AIO v3 - it used to always show a lot of running apps in ES Task Manager and only around 15M Available Memory, and would occasionaly reboot

I have used a2sd to set lowmem-moderate and now I have fewer running apps (as per pre Froyo ROMS), more available memory and no reboots (so far!), but my swap partition is not fully used

Shouldn't all of the infrequently used apps have been moved to swap to free up memory, rather than having to be killed off by memory management ?

Is it that without 'lowmem-moderate' my swap partition was being filled up but couldn't accomodate enough apps and I therefore ran out of normal memory ?

My swap partition is currently set to 32Mb (although it is reported as 59460 by 'free') - should I expand swap to be 64Mb and change lowmem back to default ? (which I could do while updating to AIO v4)

Thanks

I havent messed with how it handles multitasking, its probably how cyanogenmod is setup, I expect they optimised it for high memory devices and because of that its better to keep them in memory as they are faster to retrieve

The reason why it shows 59460 instead of 32 is because of compcache, it is like swap except it reserves itself in ram instead of in a partition or a file and then anything that goes into it gets compressed to save overall memory

I would keep the swap the same size as 32mb is fine and maybe

Guest Richard_Arkless

If you do that to the extreme, then you've got a bunch of wasted space in the /system partition that a lot of people won't be able to use anyway. I'm thinking you might as well install the "standard" set of apps there that most everyone wants to have when they finish the basic install. That seems close to what is happening at the moment. Is my thinking flawed?

Personally, I have to modify whatever rom I want to use to make at least enough space for Chinese handwriting. But I think the percentage of people who really need the extra space in /system is pretty small. Might as well fill it with something. Those apps that can be updated via the Market will still get updated even if there is an extra copy left over in the rom. Is that not correct?

And personally, I find it a little frustrating to boot into a rom for the first time and not be able to find the "standard" set of apps. So I'd suggest that even the apps that a lot of people will replace if they can (think Filemanager), still should show up in at least /data.

Finally, I still don't understand why we aren't being given an error message during rom installation that the /system partition is over full. It gives the impression that the install worked, when it really didn't. Is this a function of the install script or Recovery?

Just my $0.02.

Free space in system

My rom without gapps: 11.6mb

My rom With flb gapps: 5mb

My rom with my version of gapps: 7mb so its not much of a space difference, so should I keep it or just stick with flb's gapps

I havent messed with how it handles multitasking, its probably how cyanogenmod is setup, I expect they optimised it for high memory devices and because of that its better to keep them in memory as they are faster to retrieve

The reason why it shows 59460 instead of 32 is because of compcache, it is like swap except it reserves itself in ram instead of in a partition or a file and then anything that goes into it gets compressed to save overall memory

I would keep the swap the same size as 32mb is fine and maybe

Hi Richard - thanks for the reply, but is there a bit missing from the end ?

Guest Richard_Arkless
Hi Richard - thanks for the reply, but is there a bit missing from the end ?

Yea sorry I left it at that and went downstairs and when I got back I thought I finished typing lol

I predict that it goes based on priority

1st use a moderate amount in memory

2nd move a bit to compache

3rd move a bit to swap

so try reducing compcache and see if the free amount of swap decreases

Guest Richard_Arkless

Ok I found something interesting

format system then flash the rom = 11mb

dont format and flash the rom = 7mb

what? the rom should format the system shouldnt it

maybe this is the reason twrock why 0.3 worked for you and 0.4 didnt, the fact that its not formatting before it flashes

Guest AntonioPT

[...]

If you do that to the extreme, then you've got a bunch of wasted space in the /system partition that a lot of people won't be able to use anyway.

[...]

Well, I propose that the apps from gapps-tiny (the essential that most users want - YouTube, GMail, Google Sync, Maps...) should be placed on /system (here's a list).

The other non-essential apps (Facebook, Twitter, etc...), IMHO, should not even exist on a ROM.

Again, this is just my honest opinion...

do we need the 3 htc type apk's in the flb gapps

Yes.

Guest AntonioPT
Ok I found something interesting

format system then flash the rom = 11mb

dont format and flash the rom = 7mb

what? the rom should format the system shouldnt it

maybe this is the reason twrock why 0.3 worked for you and 0.4 didnt, the fact that its not formatting before it flashes

Quoting CM 0.40's updater-script:

format("MTD", "system");

It says that formats system, so I have no idea why you got different results...

Edited by AntonioPT

Guest Pulseuser1

Hey, I'm coming from Tom G's 0.40 CM6.2 ROM, and I was wondering if i could download and flash this version over it without doing a factory reset and getting rid of all my apps

Guest Berndvh
Donations

I dont want any money but what I really need is dropbox space so please as appreciation for this rom please use or send the referral link below to all your friends

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTY4MzY5OQ?src=global

How it works

1. Click referral link above

2. Create account

3. Install dropbox client (YOU MUST DO THIS or else we wont get the 250mb of extra dropbox space for free!)

i made an account and installed the client. but cant really see if you got 250mb of extra dropbox space.

but if you did get it, the pleasure was all mine :)

Guest Berndvh
Hey, I'm coming from Tom G's 0.40 CM6.2 ROM, and I was wondering if i could download and flash this version over it without doing a factory reset and getting rid of all my apps

it should be no problem it is the same rom but with some extra additions to it. at least i did it without problems. just do a nandroid backup first to be sure :)

Guest Richard_Arkless
Quoting CM 0.40's updater-script:

format("MTD", "system");

It says that formats system, so I have no idea why you got different results...

I know its strange that I now suddenly have to wipe to get the extra free space

If someone has any free time on their hands can someone see if you get the same outcome

so 1st wipe system, flash the rom then reboot into android go into the terminal and type df and make a note of the disk free space for system in the terminal

go back into the recovery and this time just flash the rom without manually formatting is it the same free space amount?

You dont need to wipe as this is based on that rom

i made an account and installed the client. but cant really see if you got 250mb of extra dropbox space.

but if you did get it, the pleasure was all mine :)

yea I got a notification saying someone installed dropbox

I just want to say this, when I put up that link I did not expect many people to use that link but suprisingly I get the notificiation every couple of hours or so, getting to the point, everyone THANK YOU

This rom and tom's original cm port is probably our last thread of life for our poor pulses so im happy to continue making these roms

Im also thankful that there is a large and great community that is continuing to look for amazing and new things on the web to make our phone more amazing

Guest Pulseuser1
it should be no problem it is the same rom but with some extra additions to it. at least i did it without problems. just do a nandroid backup first to be sure

Okay, thank you Berndvh