ROM cm6 AIO v7 (based on beta 0.40)

Guest Richard_Arkless

i'm wondering if it is actually market which does the installation, or rather some other app. because market seems to be downloading fine, and even completes the download. the reboot happens after installation starts.

Edited by ve100

Guest lingwooc
i'm wondering if it is actually amrket which does the installation, or rather some other app. because market seems to be downloading fine, and even completes the download. the reboot happens after installation starts.

I fixed this by doing a full wipe and install (or two i forget) and formatting the sd card again with Rom Manager which I managed to install before I'd turned on moving apps to sd. I've no idea which step was the key but it all works now so there is hope. I did the setup on the slower kernel but I'm back on to the 710 now. I think its app2sd related but I've no real idea.

I dont think its an issue with gapps, try partitioning the sd card in gparted either from a live cd of it or from a live cd of ubuntu, if you are unfamiliar with this then do some research on them, they aint too hard

Going back onto this rom development, I have been busy getting some uni work done (and of course christmas) thats need to be in as soon as we start again but will continue this rom after the new year, until then I will continue to look for new stuff that I can include

I do want to include antonioPT's kernel but I feel its not ready, I have asked him to include ext3 and 4 support which should speed up a2sd but will decrease the life of the sd card but at least its there if anyone wants it

Oh and antonio (thanks) was kind enough to post a zip on a thread that is full of touchpal language packs so to make it easier for people to find ill upload it to dropbox, it is in the optional stuff folder, just download the language you want, install then set it

One more suggestion for you. The next time you try to reinstall, go into Recovery and in the partitions options, format system. Then do a full wipe. Then try the install again.

First of all, thank you Richard and Twrock!

I got my market-reboot problem sorted this night :(

I really don´t know if this makes any sense, but maybe someone with the same problem might find it helpful:

All I did different when reinstalling all the cm6 stuff was that i didn´t use the "normal" gapps but the tiny ones instead ;)

For the Rest i did exactly the same, which means formatting and wiping via Clockwork!

Then i installed cm6, Gapps tiny mdpi, Starkos 691 kernel and it works just fantastic!

No more Reboots ;) (But the "old market" at the moment..)

So, sorry again, for disturbing this Romdevelopment and thank you guys for all the help and hard work you´re doing here for less gifted people like me ;)

Edited by mrand

I got my market-reboot problem sorted this night :(

I really don´t know if this makes any sense, but maybe someone with the same problem might find it helpful:

All I did different when reinstalling all the cm6 stuff was that i didn´t use the "normal" gapps but the tiny ones instead ;)

For the Rest i did exactly the same, which means formatting and wiping via Clockwork!

Then i installed cm6, Gapps tiny mdpi, Starkos 691 kernel and it works just fantastic!

No more Reboots ;) (But the "old market" at the moment..)

it looks like my pulse might be having the same issues as yours. did you get the gapps-tiny signed .zip from cyanogen, or elsewhere? cyanogen's zip seems to have many HTC apks, and i don't know whether that migt create any conflicts down the line.

i have further tested this rom, and i can't install any apps, whether from inside market or outside via adb or a file browser. the symptom is the same in all instances - reboot while installing!

so now i suspect this is not a market specific problem, but wider. i'm sure i (and perhaps you) are not the only ones with this problem.

it seems this problem is not occurring with those who are using app2sd and jit and compcache. and hence, they suggest enabling all these as the solution. imho, this is not the solution, perhaps a workaround. something somewhere is broken, and we don't know how this affects us.

ps: this is not to criticise the good people doing all this hard work. pls don't take me the wrong way. i have only praise for you all. :-)

thanks to mrand for confirming a suspicion that i had regarding our pulse. folks, we need to clearly understand what type of device we have, and configure it accordingly. if not, things might work, and what doesn't might not reflect on where the symptoms appear.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?titl...ion/Google_Apps

Please have a look at the above cm wiki, and identify what type of device is our pulse - tiny, mdpi, tegra, or hdpi. google apps come in different flavours for each device.

i installed the tiny version of gapps, which works seamlessly for me. clean install, clean interface, no errors. furthermore, it seems to have a smaller footprint, which i love. i am growing to hate bloatware with a passion lately... :-)

my order of flashing - CM AIO v5b1.zip, Flash Zeam Launcher.zip, gapps-mdpi-tiny-20101020-signed.zip. working perfect... as yet! first boot was very much quicker, and market auto-updated zeam and superuser on first start. neat!

i disabled auto-update though, as i don't like to update apps without looking at change logs. many apps seem to be going nagware, spyware, etc. and i routinely clean those out.

i'm a happy man for now... (ps: i notice many warnings/errors in the bootlog, but that is for another day... i shouldn't bother you guys too much)

Edited by ve100

thanks to mrand for confirming a suspicion that i had regarding our pulse. folks, we need to clearly understand what type of device we have, and configure it accordingly. if not, things might work, and what doesn't might not reflect on where the symptoms appear.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?titl...ion/Google_Apps

Please have a look at the above cm wiki, and identify what type of device is our pulse - tiny, mdpi, tegra, or hdpi. google apps come in different flavours for each device.

i installed the tiny version of gapps, which works seamlessly for me. clean install, clean interface, no errors. furthermore, it seems to have a smaller footprint, which i love. i am growing to hate bloatware with a passion lately... :-)

my order of flashing - cm6, zeam launcher, tiny gapps. working perfect... as yet!

i'm a happy man for now... (ps: i notice many warnings/errors in the bootlog, but that is for another day... i shouldn't bother you guys too much)

I´m glad this also worked for you!

To be honest, i personally don´t know if it was the Gapps tiny or the reinstall and rewiping that solved it, but at least we have working cyanogen on our pulses! ;)

So, one more time: Big thanks to Richard, TomG and of course all of you guys who are working hard on our lovely "low end device" and patiently helping out people like me, who understand only half of what they do to their phones :(

If anyone of you is visting Munich (Germany) next year, just let me know and beers are on me! (And we have the best beer here in Bavaria...) ;)

Cheers!

it looks like my pulse might be having the same issues as yours. did you get the gapps-tiny signed .zip from cyanogen, or elsewhere? cyanogen's zip seems to have many HTC apks, and i don't know whether that migt create any conflicts down the line.

i have further tested this rom, and i can't install any apps, whether from inside market or outside via adb or a file browser. the symptom is the same in all instances - reboot while installing!

so now i suspect this is not a market specific problem, but wider. i'm sure i (and perhaps you) are not the only ones with this problem.

it seems this problem is not occurring with those who are using app2sd and jit and compcache. and hence, they suggest enabling all these as the solution. imho, this is not the solution, perhaps a workaround. something somewhere is broken, and we don't know how this affects us.

ps: this is not to criticise the good people doing all this hard work. pls don't take me the wrong way. i have only praise for you all. :-)

Most of the problems you are describing probably have nothing to do with apps2sd, jit and compcache. I'm having a little trouble understanding your meaning though, so maybe it's just that. But let me explain my experience and see if that makes sense to you.

First, a disclaimer. I am not a developer nor a real "hacker". I don't have extensive knowledge of the Android OS. I am just a guy that likes to mess around with other roms and get them to run the way I like them to. So I have done a lot of experimentation, made a lot of mistakes, and had some successes. But sometimes I don't even know why or how I got something to work. So everything I write below is as best I understand it currently, but it is likely not completely accurate. But if you find it helpful for your own understanding, great. :( Otherwise, just ignore it. ;)

The Gapps version you choose to install matters. But the main reason it matters is that there is only a limited amount of rom memory space. So if you install a version of the CM rom that is already large in size, there is not enough room left in rom to install all of the apps in some versions of Gapps. In addition, if you install other apps directly into that same partition in the rom (the system partition) you can also end up with a problem.

Then to complicate things further, the basic CM rom does not seem to remove the individual Gapps that are already on your device when you flash it. (I have to be a bit careful here, because I am only describing the behavior that I have seen, and I can't speak for all versions/modification of the CM rom.) So if you previously had installed a version of Gapps with a lot of "extra" Google apps, you might not have enough room left to get the full installation to work properly.

So my current understanding is that you need to try to follow the instructions for the particular rom you are installing and not try to mix and match different CM roms with different Gapps. Otherwise, you can end up with a mess that doesn't completely work because it didn't all fit. The person who is modifying the rom should be able to tell you which Gapps you should install alongside their rom so that everything fits. (In the case of this rom by Richard, he has included a version of Gapps you can download.)

This will also be influenced by the official 2.1 rom you flashed previously, because different roms have different sized partitions. And this is also why I suggested to you that you format the system partition in Clockwork Recovery. I was trying to get you to remove all traces of previously installed Gapps so that you would have a completely fresh installation.

Ok, there you go, for what it's worth. As always, YMMV.

Edited by twrock

Guest Richard_Arkless

ve100 and mrand, the first time that you installed this rom did you install the final version or the WIP one

the reason I ask is that v4, the official cm rom and the cm port has this "feature" where it will backup the existing gapps so that the user does not have to install gapps again, this is a problem because you dont want apps that was made for 2.1 to be restored in 2.2 and causes you to have problems. So onto the next question, when upgrading from 2.1 did you remember to format system manually before flashing this rom, if you forgot then that could very well be the reason why you are having app installation problems

V5 of my rom has this feature removed so it wont have anything left over from the previous rom which could be the reason why its suddenly working for you

Edited by Richard_Arkless

ve100 and mrand, the first time that you installed this rom did you install the final version or the WIP one

the reason I ask is that v4, the official cm rom and the cm port has this "feature" where it will backup the existing gapps so that the user does not have to install gapps again, this is a problem because you dont want apps that was made for 2.1 to be restored in 2.2 and causes you to have problems. So onto the next question, when upgrading from 2.1 did you remember to format system manually before flashing this rom, if you forgot then that could very well be the reason why you are having app installation problems

V5 of my rom has this feature removed so it wont have anything left over from the previous rom which could be the reason why its suddenly working for you

i was using the final build! (first and second attempt; didn´t dare to use WIP ;))

I came from flb 1.7 oc, downgraded to 2.1 uk, wiped and formated everything, installed clockwork and then cm6- gapps tiny- 691 mhz kernel.

In Clockwork i did a factory reset and in partitions menu i formated system!

so, from my point of view i did everything that is required for a fresh and clean install, but as i mentioned, probably i´m not the one to judge what is right when it comes to flashing and stuff ;)

Richard, do you think v5 will be released as final any time or is gingerbread your next target?

I only used CM for a couple of hours now, but i have to say that i´m really impressed by this! Especially because i used my girlfriends "brandnew" pulse before, running 1.5 official ;) (Of course she´s running cm6 now! even before i did :( )

Edited by mrand

Guest Richard_Arkless
i was using the final build! (first and second attempt; didn´t dare to use WIP ;))

I came from flb 1.7 oc, downgraded to 2.1 uk, wiped and formated everything, installed clockwork and then cm6- gapps tiny- 691 mhz kernel.

In Clockwork i did a factory reset and in partitions menu i formated system!

so, from my point of view i did everything that is required for a fresh and clean install, but as i mentioned, probably i´m not the one to judge what is right when it comes to flashing and stuff ;)

Richard, do you think v5 will be released as final any time or is gingerbread your next target?

I only used CM for a couple of hours now, but i have to say that i´m really impressed by this! Especially because i used my girlfriends "brandnew" pulse before, running 1.5 official ;) (Of course she´s running cm6 now! even before i did :( )

Ok ill look into what has changed from v4 to v5b1

I want to add more things into v5 before releasing it as final, ill probably release it sometime in january

If you find anything then please post a reply with a link to it and ill say whether its worth including

Gingerbread is not yet ready for general usage so I will continue development of this rom until it is of course ready

Guest Adam1511

Hi, just a quick question. I downloaded and flashed the ROM, OC'd kernel and gapps and it's pretty nice but I'm suffering from random reboots that I've had for a while. I've finally given in and it's going into T-Mobile for repair as the reboots are getting on my nerves and seem to be more frequent now.

But I'd like to ask, as I'm going to reflash T-Mo 2.1 UK onto it, will this also remove the modified kernel or should I download a different one?

Guest Richard_Arkless
Hi, just a quick question. I downloaded and flashed the ROM, OC'd kernel and gapps and it's pretty nice but I'm suffering from random reboots that I've had for a while. I've finally given in and it's going into T-Mobile for repair as the reboots are getting on my nerves and seem to be more frequent now.

But I'd like to ask, as I'm going to reflash T-Mo 2.1 UK onto it, will this also remove the modified kernel or should I download a different one?

Yes when you flash the official 2.1 update then everything will be wiped (recovery, bootimg, data)

Was you getting the reboot error in other roms and have you got swap?

Guest Adam1511

I'll flash that tomorrow then. :(

And yeah, it started randomly rebooting about a month and a half ago using FLB 1.5. Upgraded to the latest FLB mod when that came out and it was still doing it. Went to UK 2.1 and it was the same. There was a thread on here a while ago where others had that problem and it needed going in for repairs so I'll have to see what T-Mo say.

Guest Richard_Arkless
I'll flash that tomorrow then. :(

And yeah, it started randomly rebooting about a month and a half ago using FLB 1.5. Upgraded to the latest FLB mod when that came out and it was still doing it. Went to UK 2.1 and it was the same. There was a thread on here a while ago where others had that problem and it needed going in for repairs so I'll have to see what T-Mo say.

Ah rgiht ok, guess you got a dud

Guest Richard_Arkless
Hey Richard can you tell me about ZipAlign? It must be enabled or disabled? You know it shows it at a2sd check.thanks:)

Ok first off what is zipalign? I dont really know, I did a search a while ago when I stumbled across it in the a2sd check and found this answer from the android sdk website

"The Android 1.6 SDK includes a tool called zipalign that optimizes the way an application is packaged. Doing this enables Android to interact with your application more efficiently and thus has the potential to make your application and the overall system run faster"

Now the advantage is you get more ram and space

Disadvantage is that you get longer boot time which varies based on how many un-optimised apps you have got

So really its up to you, I would only run it every now and again, not keep it on all the time

Guest totiadrenalin

BT bug fixed.

The Bluetooth.apk is buggy.

So extract the bt app from the CM6.2-0.40 from tom and

adb push to /system/app

But you will have to delete it's data after pushing the new Bluetooth.apk.

so in terminal:

rm -r /data/data/com/android.bluetooth/

And after that

reboot

That's it!

Now the bluetooth will work.

Best regars

TOTI

Edited by totiadrenalin

Guest totiadrenalin

Also I found something about changing the mac address in linux.

ip link set address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx dev eth0

Where "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" is the desired mac address.

But first turn on the wifi.

I'm not sure if things gonna work this way.

Because in android Linux is only the kernel.

And there's some other services that control the mac address, and etc.

Also you can try this command in the terminal.

ip link set eth0 address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

And

ip link set eth0 broadcast XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

Again with wifi turned on.

To check if the MAC is really changed type:

ip link show eth0

I can't confirm this is gonna work.

But at least it worth to try.

Edited by totiadrenalin

Guest totiadrenalin

Also I found something about changing the mac address in linux.

# ifconfig eth0 down

# ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:80:48:BA:d1:30

# ifconfig eth0 up

# ifconfig eth0 |grep HWaddr

Try this thing to.

I can't confirm does it gonna work.

BT bug fixed.

The Bluetooth.apk is buggy.

So extract the bt app from the CM6.2-0.40 from tom and

adb push to /system/app

But you will have to delete it's data after pushing the new Bluetooth.apk.

so in terminal:

rm -r /data/data/com/android.bluetooth/

And after that

reboot

That's it!

Now the bluetooth will work.

Best regars

TOTI

Thanks for the info and ideas Toti.

Sorry I'm not completely understanding though. You mentioned the "CM6.2-0.40 from tom".

Did you mean CM6.1 instead of 6.2? Or is there another rom from Tom I don't know about? I'm confused.

Does this bug affect all CM6.1 roms or just this rom here?

Thanks for your help.

Richard, the first few times I installed your final version and gapps from your dropbox. nothing else. i followed all your instructions, including reset/wipe and format system partitions, via clockwordmod recovery. i had stock t-mobile 2.1uk. then subsequent attempts, i also formatted all other partitions except sdcard. so practically, i was starting with a clean slate. each attempt to install any apps would result in a reboot. no other problems!

i can see the point twrock is making. as also what you say about backing up gapps. if we are reinstalling gapps, i agree there is no reason to backup. personally, i prefer light-weight apps, and tiny gapps is working very well. i don't understand what the huge gapps offers over and above tiny gapps. i did a bit of research, and failed to understand.

the final time, and i haven't needed to try again - i decided to try your v5 from your dropbox and tiny gapps from cyanogen site, as per the link in my previous post. i did the same procedure all over again, reset/wipe, format partitions, from clockworkmod recovery. this is definitely faster and more powerful. i have had no problems since. well, apart from a few minor niggles that i list below:

the red button puts phone to sleep. although, i don't like that, i can live with it. i am more concerned that any of the front buttons wakes up the phone. how can i disable wakes? can i hack some keyboard configs?

power button doesn't list open apps. reboot offers.a submenu, which is great. perhaps red button could be reconfigured to list open apps?

wifi keeps getting disconnected, and it keeps trying to reconnect but fails with message "disconnected". i had the same problem with stock t-mobile uk2.1 too. i suspect this could be my router problem.

(ps: sorry for late reply. i'm not online very frequently.)

Edited by ve100

Guest Richard_Arkless
the red button puts phone to sleep. although, i don't like that, i can live with it. i am more concerned that any of the front buttons wakes up the phone. how can i disable wakes? can i hack some keyboard configs?

power button doesn't list open apps. reboot offers.a submenu, which is great. perhaps red button could be reconfigured to list open apps?

wifi keeps getting disconnected, and it keeps trying to reconnect but fails with message "disconnected". i had the same problem with stock t-mobile uk2.1 too. i suspect this could be my router problem.

(ps: sorry for late reply. i'm not online very frequently.)

To change the function of the red button install spare parts from the market and change the option in there

The wifi reconnection is a problem in cm in general so not just my rom, to resolve this install blade wifi fix from the market (better add the above and this to the FAQ)

To change the function of the red button install spare parts from the market and change the option in there

The wifi reconnection is a problem in cm in general so not just my rom, to resolve this install blade wifi fix from the market (better add the above and this to the FAQ)

what i would prefer is map red button to get currently running or recently open apps. do you know how i could do that?

cyanogen has migrated most spare parts functionality into his cyanogenmod settings. is this red button funcationality cyanogen's feature or yours?

wifi is working great, better than 2.1 did. so i'm loathe to apply any fixes. but i will look for what that fix is and what it means? i also notice that wifi doesn't disconnect on sleep. is that expected?

Guest Richard_Arkless
what i would prefer is map red button to get currently running or recently open apps. do you know how i could do that?

cyanogen has migrated most spare parts functionality into his cyanogenmod settings. is this red button funcationality cyanogen's feature or yours?

wifi is working great, better than 2.1 did. so i'm loathe to apply any fixes. but i will look for what that fix is and what it means? i also notice that wifi doesn't disconnect on sleep. is that expected?

The only way you can change it would be to go to /system/usr/keylayout and then edit querty.kl and change key 107 from endcall to home, this way when you press it then it will go home and when you hold then it will open recent apps, AFAIK you cant dedicate the button to only recent apps. Anyway what about when you want to end calls?

Its a feature of cyanogenmod, I didnt bother changing it

The reconnect issue only occurs after a long period of time so you wont see it if you put it to sleep then wake it back up straight afterwards