[ROM][OLED+TFT] FLB-Froyo G2 for ZTE Blade

Guest Simon O

Guest Baggy Pipes

Could be me again, or a coincidence.

Since installing r8a last night without wiping:

1) I have the Weather/News widget on my desktop which now says - 'Sorry, unable to connect. Please try later.'

2) Email now says 'Unable to open connection to server.'

3) I can't connect to the 'Market'. It says - 'Attention. A network error has occured. Retry or cancel and return to the previous screen.'

I have a data connection and can browse and check ebay account so have internet. Use giffgaff and APN correctly set to use giffgaff.

Anyone else having problems connecting to servers?

Solved - See below.

Edited by Baggy Pipes

Guest Baggy Pipes
Could be me again, or a coincidence.

Since installing r8a last night without wiping:

1) I have the Weather/News widget on my desktop which now says - 'Sorry, unable to connect. Please try later.'

2) Email now says 'Unable to open connection to server.'

3) I can't connect to the 'Market'. It says - 'Attention. A network error has occured. Retry or cancel and return to the previous screen.'

I have a data connection and can browse and check ebay account so have internet. Use giffgaff and APN correctly set to use giffgaff.

Anyone else having problems connecting to servers?

Solved.

Turned Mobile Data off then back on.

All 3 points from above now working. Strange!

Guest Simon O
Solved.

Turned Mobile Data off then back on.

All 3 points from above now working. Strange!

Yes, I get the same issue with giffgaff. I think it's caused by the phone having APN information for O2, giffgaff and Tesco which all use the same ID numbers which is why they are all displayed on the APN screen. The best fix for giffgaff users I've found is to use the giffgaff application from http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.shirley/...gaffAPN.1.3.apk as this will delete the O2 and tesco APNs leaving only giffgaff.

Guest Simon O
Hi flibblesan,

will this resolve the issue with losing GSM signal when using wifi? Or is that another fix?

After all you do a great job here in the forum. Thanks for all your work here!

It may do if the issue is caused not by actually losing signal but the phone believing signal level is too low. The fix involves changing the code in services.jar to match the signal levels in the original 2.1 rom. Seems that the V880 uses different levels which is why our phones with 2.2 are reporting very low signal strength. kallt_kaffe used this fix in JJ and has very kindly given me some tips to fix this on FLB.

How are people finding battery life with R8a - I have been using it for a day or so now and it seems to be worse than R6 for me ?

I did do a wipe when I upgraded and in Settings is reporting battery usage is 100% down to Android System ?

What are other people finding ?

Thanks

Gavin

Guest The Soup Thief
How are people finding battery life with R8a - I have been using it for a day or so now and it seems to be worse than R6 for me ?

I did do a wipe when I upgraded and in Settings is reporting battery usage is 100% down to Android System ?

Thanks

Gavin

Can't be certain. I've got so used to plugging my phone in each night that I've tended to do it pretty religiously, then I noticed a week or so ago on paul's r11 that I was at 60% and more after a day's use, so started charging alternate days. Switched to FLB 8 and later 8a over the weekend and I'm getting similar performance

When I switched from FLB 6 to MCR 11 I felt like there was a modest improvement, but to be honest it depends to such a huge degree on what you're doing, and I know that when I install a new ROM I tend to work the phone a bit harder as I explore it, using up more juice

I guess the Froyo ROMS' performance can be expected to converge over time

A doublng in battery life vs stock ROM is good enough for me though ...for now... :P

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest Simon O

Thanks

Gavin

You are misunderstanding the battery usage screen. It simply means Android System is using 100% of the current power draw. It's nothing to worry about as the actual draw will be low unless you have an application utilizing the CPU 100%.

High CPU usage and applications using partial wake lock to prevent the phone from sleeping are the causes of low battery usage.

Also whenever you install a new ROM you must ensure you give the phone a full charge with the power adapter. USB doesn't fully charge the battery.

Normal usage you should be seeing the phone last a couple of days unless you are using any application that uses GPS, wifi or high CPU such as games and video playback.

Oh another thing... the battery in the blade is sh1t3.

Edited by flibblesan

Guest Len Ash
You are misunderstanding the battery usage screen. It simply means Android System is using 100% of the current power draw. It's nothing to worry about as the actual draw will be low unless you have an application utilizing the CPU 100%.

High CPU usage and applications using partial wake lock to prevent the phone from sleeping are the causes of low battery usage.

Also whenever you install a new ROM you must ensure you give the phone a full charge with the power adapter. USB doesn't fully charge the battery.

Normal usage you should be seeing the phone last a couple of days unless you are using any application that uses GPS, wifi or high CPU such as games and video playback.

Oh another thing... the battery in the blade is sh1t3.

The screen brightness under auto needs recalibrating too... the scaling is wrong (certainly on the OLED version) and seems odd on the TFT too. The screen is generally too bright for the ambient conditions. I suspect the V/X880 phones use a different sensor and this has not been taken in to account.

Higher than necessary brightness would not help battery life...

Guest fmacbris

I'm afraid that I am experiencing occasional dropping of the data connection (twice today, a couple of times yesterday) leading to web page not available, no mail etc on r8a +gb theme + circle battery mod. I can get it back my going to the Mobile network settings screen and unticking then immediately reticking the "Data enabled" checkbox. I have not noticed and pattern as to when it happens (yet...).

Thanks for the replies and clarifications - standby time seems to be as good as ever - it just seems that the battery life seems to drop quickly when actually using the phone - possibly the brightness is an issue ? EDIT: I have an OLED phone.

I have the GB theme and circle battery indicator giving a percentage so perhaps this makes it more obvious than normal.

I was just trying to narrow down potential causes to see if it was the new version or an installed app which is using the battery. I removed the Ebay app for this reason.

Thanks

Gavin

Edited by gavinp

Guest Simon O

Watchdog may help alerting you to any application taking the P and using too much CPU or keeping the phone awake.

fmacbris: What network are you using?

Guest fmacbris
Watchdog may help alerting you to any application taking the P and using too much CPU or keeping the phone awake.

T-mobile PAYG in Bristol

Guest technomaniac

Hi all,

First of, this is a great rom. When I upgrade is there a way I can still keep my widgets and icons on the front screens. They all disapeared and I did not wipe anything.

Thanks Greame

I just noticed all my APN entries are full of asterisks - clearly nothing is broken as I can connect ok, but was just wondering if it was just me and what the cause was.

OK, thanks - I have installed Watchdog - will see if it highlights anything.

Thanks

Gavin

Guest burstlam

try out r8a with JJ's wpa_supllicant

wifi fail to reconnect when awake from screen off

whch doesn't encounter in R7a

what is the big differnce between these 2 supplicant files?

and is there anyway I could edit the mtu values myself?

and FYI,

some pals in Hiapk discussion group of PRC report that when they try to enable HW accl

by the build.prop, there is nothing change. it seems that even when "hw=0' , hw accl is on already.

also, some report slow amoled touchscreen reflex in r8/a (I doesn't feel any about this.)

pls advice if u available.

anyway,

it is a brilliant work, flibblesan.

thank you so much

Guest Len Ash
try out r8a with JJ's wpa_supllicant

wifi fail to reconnect when awake from screen off

whch doesn't encounter in R7a

what is the big differnce between these 2 supplicant files?

and is there anyway I could edit the mtu values myself?

and FYI,

some pals in Hiapk discussion group of PRC report that when they try to enable HW accl

by the build.prop, there is nothing change. it seems that even when "hw=0' , hw accl is on already.

also, some report slow amoled touchscreen reflex in r8/a (I doesn't feel any about this.)

pls advice if u available.

anyway,

it is a brilliant work, flibblesan.

thank you so much

You need to remove the comment out # on the debug line in build.prop.

Guest DrEzkimo

not sure if this is a rom or phone issue or app issue?

when using maps in the car I put the charger in and change settings to not sleep while charging. I then put the brightness on full and put the phone in the cradle and all goes well. then a few mins in the screen dims.

edit: just tested and although the phone is on the mains here at home and full brightness, it also dims after a while if not being used. handy normally sure, but not when your using the maps to see where you are.

any ideas?

Thanks for the constant updates to your ROM Fibblesan, it just keeps getting better and better.

I am still having problems getting Twitter to integrate with my contacts. The option to tweet is still not there when I click on someone's picture and the bubble pops up. Have tried removing my account and re-adding it and rechecking the sync option within Twitter. Anyone got any ideas where I might be going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Guest rutteger
It may do if the issue is caused not by actually losing signal but the phone believing signal level is too low. The fix involves changing the code in services.jar to match the signal levels in the original 2.1 rom. Seems that the V880 uses different levels which is why our phones with 2.2 are reporting very low signal strength. kallt_kaffe used this fix in JJ and has very kindly given me some tips to fix this on FLB.

Good to hear that and look forward to that fix. Had noted the 2G and esp 3G signal on the Blade was significantly worse than other mobiles I have. This lead to one Blade constantly switching from 3G to 2G due to low 3G signal. Hopefully this fix might sort that issue.

Guest fmacbris
...when using maps in the car I put the charger in and change settings to not sleep while charging. I then put the brightness on full and put the phone in the cradle and all goes well. then a few mins in the screen dims...

For me, with screen set to 1 minute timeout, I have noticed that after 45s the screen dims and then turns off after another 15s. This happens just in normal use - on battery.

Is it possible to have Vibrate and Ringtone for Incoming call alert?

I have set vibration to always but it still ONLY rings when I receive a call.

When you are out and about (esp. in noisy areas) you would want phone to both ring and vibrate for call alert.

Guest RottenFoxBreath
Is it possible to have Vibrate and Ringtone for Incoming call alert?

I have set vibration to always but it still ONLY rings when I receive a call.

When you are out and about (esp. in noisy areas) you would want phone to both ring and vibrate for call alert.

Works fine here...Switched Vibrate to "Always" on 8a, and it vibrrates and rings with tone.

Edited by RottenFoxBreath

Guest RottenFoxBreath
For me, with screen set to 1 minute timeout, I have noticed that after 45s the screen dims and then turns off after another 15s. This happens just in normal use - on battery.

Sygic Aura has a setting for the screen to stay lit, not sure about maps, but Google Navigation doesn't sleep here.

Settings - Applications - Development - and make sure the box next to "Stay Awake" is ticked.

Tried earlier this morning, and it worked, the screen never went out.

* Programmes used were Sygic Aura, Sygic Mobile Maps, Navigation, and Copilot, they never went dim.

Google Maps on the other hand, dims, as does the screen when plugged in, and set to "never sleep", but AFAIK, it has always done that when on charge, probably like a screensaver.

Or you always have Keepscreen, CalmRead, Screen Mode Widget, Screebl Lite, and probably a ton of others, to keep the screen from dimming/turning off, available on the market.(some of them are widgets, so easy to just have a 1 button click fix).

Edited by RottenFoxBreath

Guest Davie1888
when using maps in the car I put the charger in and change settings to not sleep while charging.

Could you tell me where in settings you set this please

Oops!! Rottenfoxbreath just posted answer as I was typing

Edited by Davie1888