[ROM][OLED+TFT] FLB-Froyo G2 for ZTE Blade

Guest Simon O

Guest Frankish
Yes. Will allow customization of APKs easily and you can either make a nandroid or a recovery zip.

Signing the system was easy enough to do. I used APK Manager to resign framework-res.apk and all system apk files. I found out that system apps need to match the signature of the framework so in an ideal world if all custom roms signed using the test keys then apps and frameworks would be interchangable.

So framework-res.apk and all apps in /system/ hmm i think kallt should be doing this. And you're right anyone else too!

I don't recommend it, my guess is that japanese dialer is one of the main reasons of Jellyfish being more battery-hungry.

So moving to this AOSP dialer should fix the battery problems? Seems like a positive thing to me to use it. Unless I'm missing your meaning.

Edit:- Just to make things clear I was asking if I could port the dialer from this rom over to Japanese Jellyfish, I didn't think my original reply was that ambiguous, but I'm just playing it safe by explaining it.

Edited by cobhc

Guest pollypoll
If it's worth anything, I think your ROM is very stable and personally I have no battery/dialer issues.

Wifi is a problem in every ROM and for me it's working as expected.

Thanks!

+1. I've been running off a single charge for nearly 24 hours and the battery is at 84%. I've been browsing, texting, emailing, experimenting with wifi, playing a bit of Angry Birds and downloading apps. I've even played with car navigation.Its the best froyo I've tried so far and the best ROM for battery. Many many thanks!

Jim

After an evening of good hard testing I have had exactly no problems atall.

Battery life is fine. Its faster than any other I've used, more stable, cleaner, everything works as it should (so far at least). When you said you felt R6 was a bit crap a part of me died inside. It's still an amazing ROM, best out there so far, just a lot of little bugs that need ironing out over the next few releases, but its far FAR from crap.

Jus' sayin'.

Guest Bill_W

Hi, I'm really excited to try this ROM, having read so much about it, and what it provides, and this is my first crack at loading a ROM on my new Orange San Fran. But sadly, I have bad 'feedback' to report. I don't want to dishearten anyone, and I'm not sure if I have a noobie type problem, but here are the results.

I am using

Orange San Fran with TFT screen - original build Number OUK_P729BV1.0.0B08

Clockwork Recovery - recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.8_blade.img

ROM - flb-froyo-blade-r6.zip

I followed the procedure at

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...and-other-roms/

Everything went smoothly, except on my Fedora14 laptop the drivers were not loaded, so I use an Ubuntu LiveCD, as suggested,

ROM loads from the SD Card successfully, so then I try the first boot.

I see the Green Android, then the Flashing ZTE Logo, but thats as far as it gets. It seems stuck in a loop, repeatedly loading the ZTE logo.

I'll try power off, and another reboot, and report back. If anyone recognises this symptom and has a workaround I'd be grateful to hear from you. Otherwise I'll try the previous R5 release. Seemed a little more stable. Maybe you should call this release 'Sid', like the wayward kid in Toy Story and Debian releases.

Thanks for all your help so far,

all the best, Bill

+1

The callers name does show up in the call log though.

i have this problem as well :D

i think it's the only "serious" problem of this rom, good work.

Guest Davie1888

Battery life is fine. Its faster than any other I've used, more stable, cleaner, everything works as it should (so far at least). When you said you felt R6 was a bit crap a part of me died inside. It's still an amazing ROM, best out there so far, just a lot of little bugs that need ironing out over the next few releases, but its far FAR from crap.

Jus' sayin'.

Totally agree the best by far :D , some small tweeks are you will have a great phone :P

Guest dadashi
Bill_W

....ROM loads from the SD Card successfully, so then I try the first boot.

I see the Green Android, then the Flashing ZTE Logo, but thats as far as it gets. It seems stuck in a loop, repeatedly loading the ZTE logo.

I'll try power off, and another reboot, and report back. If anyone recognises this symptom and has a workaround I'd be grateful to hear from you. Otherwise I'll try the previous R5 release. Seemed a little more stable. Maybe you should call this release 'Sid', like the wayward kid in Toy Story and Debian releases.

Thanks for all your help so far,

all the best, Bill

don't forget to do a data wipe and cache wipe in clockwork before flashing the new rom...and of course do a backup of your original system so you can go back again...if it's not too late...

Edited by dadashi

Guest Bill_W
don't forget to do a data wipe and cache wipe in clockwork before flashing the new rom...and of course do a backup of your original system so you can go back again...if it's not too late...

Hi, well I did a Factory Reset from the phone menus just before loading the Clockwork Recovery utility, I was hoping that would cover that issue of removing data and apps that would be incompatible with the new ROM that gets loaded. So I skipped doing that from the Clockwork menu. But the first thing I did with Clockwork installed was make a Backup to the SD Card, so between that and the other Stock ROM images on this site, I should be in a good position to restore to the original state.

FYI when I power off + on I see the same behavior. Green Android followed by the ZTE Logo, then repeated load of the ZTE Logo in a loop.

I'll try load it again, and clear cache + data from the Clockwork menu.

cheers Bill.

Guest Bobby Demos

I've had to return to Paul's custom 2.1 rom. The phone wouldn't let me input text in certain areas of the device, such as settings and wifi tethering.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Guest Bill_W
Hi, well I did a Factory Reset from the phone menus, I was hoping that would cover that issue of removing data ......

I'll try load it again, and clear cache + data from the Clockwork menu.

He he !! Thanks Dadashi. Thats fixed it.

Its loaded to the launch screen showing the Green Shoots of Recovery wallpaper, and loads of apps and menus and everything.

I 'll have a look around and let you know how it works. This is great :-) Bill.

Guest pellonet

Jus' sayin'.

+2

Apart from a couple of very minor niggles I cannot find anything to be disappointed with.

Definitely the best so far for me, a couple of short steps from perfect.

Guest jonuwz

To fix the caller id.

Flibblesan,

Apologies if this has already been fixed or you've already figured it out.

The number is displayed because Phone queries the contacts provider with incompatible sql and bombs out.

its a very minor incompatibility. (famous last words)

logcat shows the sql blowing up on 'ORDER BY raw_contacts.mode_id'

raw_contacts.mode_id doesn't exist, and is only used in the ORDER BY

If you download sqlite3 and do this :

adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/database/contacts2.db .

sqlite3 contacts2.db

alter table raw_contacts add column mode_id INTEGER;

.exit

adb push contacts2.db /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/database

make sure the owner of the file is correct , chmod 660, then reboot

Then CallerID works.

Maybe the contacts database is created by some ZTE code which doesn't create the mode_id column,

or maybe the AOSP apk files you are using are from a different API level.

I would have thought that as long as Phone, MMS, Contacts, ContactsProvider and the ContactsSyncAdapter are all inline it should work.

They are the providers and consumers are far as i'm aware.

Mixing and matching codebases :D Didn't stackrish build a genuine froyo AOSP for the Blade ?

Regards,

John

Edited by jonuwz

Guest hojintao
Changelog

r6 - 8th January 2011

New:

- Custom built kernel for all ZTE Blades. OLED and TFT, 3mp and 5mp cameras. Any issues please report.

- Majority of system applications updated to Android 2.2.1 base.

- A2SD enabled. Needs an ext2/ext3 partition on the SD for use. Will automatically activate if you have one.

- Buggy ZTE SmartDialer replaced with the Android dialer. If you need a T9 dialer please install an alternative from the market.

- System has been completely resigned using the test key. Custom frameworks will need to be resigned accordingly. This will make it a lot easier for people to produce custom themes.

- Distinct multitouch enabled for applications that support it such as Google Maps. Allows two finger rotation.

- Stagefright disabled as it's broken.

Fixed:

- Camera app should no longer crash for 5MP users

- Facebook contact sync now works

- Changed default DNS from Taiwan to Google DNS. May fix the no connection issues affecting some users. This is an untested fix

- Removed CheckinProvider which caused high CPU usage. Removed all ZTE apps apart from Filer and Task Manager

r5a - 3rd January 2011

Fixed:

- Email app crash when viewing fixed. Tested as fully working.

r5 - 2nd January 2011

Fixed:

- Email app force close when forwarding email

- PIN & Password lock screen configuration no longer force closes

r4a - 2nd January 2011

Fixed:

- Menu button unlock disabled. Gingerbread theme updated with the fix.

r4 - 1st January 2011

New:

- Browser reverted to stock configuration with no pre-installed Chinese bookmarks

- Settings.apk fixed to remove ZTE Hand Service.

- HSDPA icon enabled

- Launcher2 from G2 ROM with corrected shortcuts

Apps:

- Android Term

- Google Car Home

- Google Market

- Google Maps

- Gallery3D

- Live Wallpapers

- Magic Smoke Live Wallpapers

- Smart Dialer

- YouTube

- Google Listen

- Google TTS

- QuickOffice

- WiFi Status

Hi,

I'm a newbie to the Android and smart Phone. I have bought DELL XDC28 which is basically a ZTE RACER (I guess ). I want to upgrade the 2.1 to 2.2 Android and i have downloaded Clockwork,FastBoot and Update.rar files and i have also downloaded the ROM Manager.

I have done the fast boot command from the command prompt for clockwork recovery image as per the instructions here

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to...-san-francisco/

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...rkmod-recovery/

but when i reboot the phone by pressing the power and vol+ or vol- nothing happens the DELL Logo appears and nothing happens. I guess it does not boot in the recovery mode. I also installed the ROM manager and tried boot from it but did not workout. It simply hangs on the Dell Logo.

What could be the problem ? I shall be very much thankful if you could help me out.

Thanks In Advance

Guest gusthy
If you download sqlite3 and do this :

adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/database/contacts2.db .

sqlite3 contacts2.db

alter table raw_contacts add column mode_id INTEGER;

.exit

adb push contacts2.db /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/database

make sure the owner of the file is correct , chmod 660, then reboot

Hmmm, makes dialer force close.

The direction can be good, but something not perfect.

(One of the not perfect things is that the directory is ......../databases, nont database, but it is not important, something else is wrong too)

jonuwz, can you please continue the work on it?

Edit:

"owner of the file" is "app_0:app_0", it is easier to set if we know, who is the owner :D

Now it works, took some time to set the file rights well:

- su app_0

- cd /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases

- cat contacts2.db >a.tmp

- rm contacts2.db

- mv a.tmp contacts2.db

- chmod contacts2.db 660

Edit2:

This fix won't be so trivial, since contacts2.db is not included in the ROM. It is created when first syncing contacts, so I guess, contacts provider has to be changed or modified.

Edit3:

Or, as a dirty hack, the ROM may contain an empty contacts2.db, and the uptade script can copy it into its place.

Edited by gusthy

Guest gusthy
Hi,

I'm a newbie to the Android and smart Phone. I have bought DELL XDC28 which is basically a ZTE RACER (I guess ). I want to upgrade the 2.1 to 2.2 Android and i have downloaded Clockwork,FastBoot and Update.rar files and i have also downloaded the ROM Manager.

I have done the fast boot command from the command prompt for clockwork recovery image as per the instructions here

but when i reboot the phone by pressing the power and vol+ or vol- nothing happens the DELL Logo appears and nothing happens. I guess it does not boot in the recovery mode. I also installed the ROM manager and tried boot from it but did not workout. It simply hangs on the Dell Logo.

What could be the problem ? I shall be very much thankful if you could help me out.

Thanks In Advance

If DELL XDC28 is a ZTE Racer, and you flashed different images for ZTE Blade on it, it obviously won't work. On the other hand, there is a ZTE Racer forum here, in MoDaCo, why don't you try their stuff?

Edited by gusthy

Guest vareBlade
Hi,

Thanks In Advance

You sure you holded Volume DOWN (-) and then powered on? or was it volume up (+)?

Volume Up = developer mode

Volume Down = Recovery mode

Also this:

If DELL XDC28 is a ZTE Racer, and you flashed different images for ZTE Blade on it, it obviously won't work. On the other hand, there is a ZTE Racer forum here, in MoDaCo, why don't you try their stuff?

If there is a ZTE Racher forum why ask it here?

Edited by vareBlade

Guest nick_sub

I've been looking fordward to trying Froyo as soon as it was stable enough so have the JJ ROM a go yesterday. Unfortunately I installed it just minutes before FLB r6 was released but I had a few niggles with it so took the opportunity to try FLB r6 as I really like his work on the Pulse ROMs.

The wifi isn't reconnecting after a while, but it looks like fibble is aware of this and I have every confindence he will manage to fix it. Everything else I've tried works perfectly so I'm going to stick with it.

Great work once again fibble - please keep it up!

Guest gauviz

Md5 sum of gingerbread theme is not matching.

fibblesan can you please re-upload it. Perhaps upload it to a mirror.

Also this ROM is much better than JJ RLS5. I mean much faster.

ADWLauncher EX works perfectly. It was really choppy in JJ RLS5.

Best 2.2 ROM and very stable.

Guest jonuwz
Hmmm, makes dialer force close.

The direction can be good, but something not perfect.

(One of the not perfect things is that the directory is ......../databases, nont database, but it is not important, something else is wrong too)

jonuwz, can you please continue the work on it?

Edit:

"owner of the file" is "app_0:app_0", it is easier to set if we know, who is the owner :D

Now it works, took some time to set the file rights well:

- su app_0

- cd /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases

- cat contacts2.db >a.tmp

- rm contacts2.db

- mv a.tmp contacts2.db

- chmod contacts2.db 660

Edit2:

This fix won't be so trivial, since contacts2.db is not included in the ROM. It is created when first syncing contacts, so I guess, contacts provider has to be changed or modified.

Edit3:

Or, as a dirty hack, the ROM may contain an empty contacts2.db, and the uptade script can copy it into its place.

chown app_0.app_0 contacts2.db

Is the command you need. For me it was app_12

Flib - what git repository did you pull the AOSP code from, and what froyo branch?

What APKs did you replace with AOSP versions?

Guest gusthy
chown app_0.app_0 contacts2.db

Is the command you need. For me it was app_12

Flib - what git repository did you pull the AOSP code from, and what froyo branch?

What APKs did you replace with AOSP versions?

sure, but for me it responded no group app_0.

sure, but for me it responded no group app_0.

If anyone does manage to get a fix could you upload a patch/guide so we can get a fix even if Fib isn't around.

Cheers :D

Guest ed.dark
Not working for me either - the persons name is not displayed when they phone you - just the number??

Is there any way of replacing the dialer?

I use dialer one - no probs