How many San Francisco mobiles returned?

Guest Brianrh

I can't say I've had a problem when I've called Orange. I've dialled 450 and gone through the menu system and been clear and concise with the problem. I'm put on hold for 30 seconds while they check, and they come back to me with a confirmation it requires a replacement, where they proceed to take my address and arrange an exchange time.

It depends on whether you get through to somebody who gives a damn, a lot of the Orange CS just don't.

Guest ballist1x

new one arrived today although it was scheduled for monday. anyway its working great no green screen issue so far but holding off rooting this one until ive tested it overnight.

Guest That-Guy

Had mine a week and so far I am very happy with it, in fact the gf now has one too B)

I have Unlocked, De-Branded and Rooted both of them with no problems.

The build quality seems to be good so far too!

Guest Mike Toner

Had my SF for a month now and no probs so far. Being new to Android I have made a few mistakes with apps and thinking the phone has a problem but coming to this site has made me realise its me and not the phone. Used to buy phones £200+ but this has been the best out the lot for the price. Cheers ZTE.

Guest southeastblue

Had mine since early October and it's been 100% fine.

Only minor annoyance is the rubbery coating on the case has very slightly rubbed off on the top 2 corners of the back section of the phone.

I'm on my second one. The first would randomly lock up and would not start again until you take the battery out and then put it back again. The Orange shop replaced it with a new one without any questions. This was after exactly 28 days. My second one is acting strange, it is now 1 week old. During calls, it drops the call and reboot, this has happened twice already :-( If this continues I will need to take it back again. Has anyone had similar problems?

Guest TurboGP

i had to ring up today to order a replacement one. We have two and one of them hardly charges up and the phone gets so hot. Only removed orange apps and not put any other roms on.

Guest thevoid

I thought ours would have to go back due to signal strength issues, but strangest of things happened, put a silicone case on it off a nokia e71 and the signal seems to be fine, weird to say the least.

I thought ours would have to go back due to signal strength issues, but strangest of things happened, put a silicone case on it off a nokia e71 and the signal seems to be fine, weird to say the least.

I've noticed with my phone that where I live the 3G signal is very weak. If I have the phone set up to automatically switch between 3G and 2G, when using 2G the signal is showing the full four bars most of the time and I might typically see a signal strength of 13-19 ASU. When the phone grasps just enough 3G signal to switch to that mode I get no bars showing and the strength is around 1-3 ASU. It is possible, I think, that a very weak 3G signal will switch the phone to the 3G mode, but when the signal is even weaker it falls back to 2G and shows a far stronger signal.

This may not be the "phenomenon" you have witnessed, but it might just be that fitting the case (or just random fluctuations in signal strength) dropped you out of an already weak 3G signal and landed you with a strong 2G one. Anyway, just a thought. FWIW I have my phone set to use 2G only, since my need for high speed internet is rare. If I find I need 3G speeds and I have a good 3G signal then I'd happily switch the phone to 3G mode.

I wonder if any of this might also be a reason that people may experience poor battery life under 3G - maybe the phones are searching for a poor 3G signal rather than having an easy time of it on a 2G signal. Of course, none of this should be San Francisco specific, but I think it's something to ponder.

Edited by tdodd

Guest thevoid
I've noticed with my phone that where I live the 3G signal is very weak. If I have the phone set up to automatically switch between 3G and 2G, when using 2G the signal is showing the full four bars most of the time and I might typically see a signal strength of 13-19 ASU. When the phone grasps just enough 3G signal to switch to that mode I get no bars showing and the strength is around 1-3 ASU. It is possible, I think, that a very weak 3G signal will switch the phone to the 3G mode, but when the signal is even weaker it falls back to 2G and shows a far stronger signal.

This may not be the "phenomenon" you have witnessed, but it might just be that fitting the case (or just random fluctuations in signal strength) dropped you out of an already weak 3G signal and landed you with a strong 2G one. Anyway, just a thought. FWIW I have my phone set to use 2G only, since my need for high speed internet is rare. If I find I need 3G speeds and I have a good 3G signal then I'd happily switch the phone to 3G mode.

I wonder if any of this might also be a reason that people may experience poor battery life under 3G - maybe the phones are searching for a poor 3G signal rather than having an easy time of it on a 2G signal. Of course, none of this should be San Francisco specific, but I think it's something to ponder.

the issue was the gsm signal as a whole, most of the time the number was unreachable

Guest sorrowuk

If you phone up and get orange to replace a faulty san francsico how does it work?

Do they send out a new one and collect the old one at the same time or what happens?

Guest squidlr

You call Orange, tell them what the problem is and if they agree to replace, they send a courier to deliver the main part of the phone within 24 hours. They take away the broken phone, but you keep the original phone back cover, battery, microsd card and sim. Great service.

Edited by squidlr

Guest steve1221

But whatever you don't forget to remove the original phone back cover, battery, microsd card and sim. If you forget, they're gone, they can't be got back from the courier (I used to work on the phones at Orange and even when we told people that they still wanted the courier to come back because they forgot (or realised after it had gone that they hadn't taken off their pictures) and it won't happen...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest paper doll
You call Orange, tell them what the problem is and if they agree to replace, they send a courier to deliver the main part of the phone within 24 hours. They take away the broken phone, but you keep the original phone back cover, battery, microsd card and sim. Great service.

I've just sent one back and I was told to keep the sim and microSD and had to hand over the phone (including back cover), battery and charger.

Guest PeaNut_HU

I like to mention, that normally, people don't open topics to just state that he/she bought a phone and it is very good, working fine etc etc contrary to ppl having bad experience will surely search and find phones or phone batches with quality issues. So i am writing to let you know, i have an Orange SF (OLED/512MB) and are absolutely happy with battery life, no lockups, no calling/3G problems whatsoever, working fine since i got it, and already got it second hand, so it got used before me too.

One thing i think could help in identifying problematic phones maybe, to make a table of IMEI/serial numbers of the problematic series, maybe it could be narrowed down to a week/month of manufactured phones, or based some other data we could identify problematic series.

Guest theInquisitor

Just for the statistics: A friend of mine and me bought six OSFs in Switzerland, of which two were unusably defective. One wouldn't boot (stopping at bootloader) and on the other the touchscreen stopped working after the first power-cycle. Tried everything to rule out software issues as cause. And third device (they're all TFT) has really a lot of apparent faulty pixels. That makes a failure rate of 50% in my case.

Guest some_postman
Just for the statistics: A friend of mine and me bought six OSFs in Switzerland, of which two were unusably defective. One wouldn't boot (stopping at bootloader) and on the other the touchscreen stopped working after the first power-cycle. Tried everything to rule out software issues as cause. And third device (they're all TFT) has really a lot of apparent faulty pixels. That makes a failure rate of 50% in my case.

<stats geek>Readers of this need to remember that small samples like this don't necessarily reflect the population mean. The real failure rate may be 1 in a 1000, even if this sample is 1 in 2. Binomial (pass/fail) samples require large sample sizes to estimated the true mean</stats geek>

Guest The Soup Thief
<stats geek>Readers of this need to remember that small samples like this don't necessarily reflect the population mean. The real failure rate may be 1 in a 1000, even if this sample is 1 in 2. Binomial (pass/fail) samples require large sample sizes to estimated the true mean</stats geek>

<stats geek> Respect to your Bayesian analysis! </stats geek> :)

Most are fine, a few seem a bit dicky - it looks like the Inquisitor was doubly unlucky

Guest 23rdian

Had mine since end of September too but have the high CPU issue. Works fine for a while but is unreliable when rebooting. Shame as is otherwise a great phone.

Do you think it's worth trying to return this one?

Guest paper doll
Had mine from end of September and was awesome. Had to replace it yesterday for unresponsive power button.

still need to test the new one though!

That's what I've had to return my second one in 10 days for.

The build quality on this phone is appalling.

Next time it breaks (which is almost inevitable) I can get a different model, should have my money back really as there isn't an equivalent phone at the same price (and now i can see why).

If something seems too good to be true it usually is.

Guest flatnote31
That's what I've had to return my second one in 10 days for.

The build quality on this phone is appalling.

Next time it breaks (which is almost inevitable) I can get a different model, should have my money back really as there isn't an equivalent phone at the same price (and now i can see why).

If something seems too good to be true it usually is.

I was eating it alive! I use it constantly for blogging,tweeting, Satnav, E-reader and media player every now and then