Official 2.2 Froyo Untouched

Guest Stephen Hyde

I've got a common question:

From my understanding, this procedure to flash the Froyo OS doesn't really seem to be depending on anything. Since it flashes the boot image, the baseband and the main system image, it shouldn't really matter what OS/baseband is on the Streak before performing this update. The only thing that is not being flashed is the recovery, but as long as the recovery isn't needed, that shouldn't be an issue.

Given that my assumptions are correct, I would have 2 questions:

1. Couldn't this procedure be used for any kind of "virtually-bricked" Streaks to get to a running system, making it possible to either leave it then, or go back to whatever one wants to go back using the known how-to's?

2. Why are all these downgrading procedures so complicated when this procedure here indicates that you can simply flash boot, baseband and system image from any given firmware using fastboot, no matter what is currently installed on the device? Or the other way around, why isn't it possible to extract these 3 images from each firmware update package so that they can simply be flashed via fastboot? And again, I know that the recovery partition is there as well, but shouldn't it be possible to simply flash the matching recovery image (or a custom recovery) after flashing the 3 firmware images?

The bottom line is that I'm just wondering why things are so complicated when it comes to downgrading to whatever, when this flashing procedere here seems to work out of almost any condition and without any preparations.

But probably I'm just missing something important... B)

1 there's no such thing as a "virtually-bricked" streak, just people who don't really know what to do to put it right.. :) there are more partitions that get flashed that are sometimes needed..

a real brick is one that has nothing going on, wont even go into low-level upload mode.

2 its the dell update pkgs them selves that are the issue, they are encrypted, so locked to specific baseband and recovery versions.. the pkgs have some partiitons that are flashed that dont seem to use standard fastboot system.

tbh I didnt even realise how we could extract the contents easily till yesterday :)

then there's the users, who struggle with something as simple as an update.pkg, most people really struggle with anything more than that.

Guest BigBlue007
1 there's no such thing as a "virtually-bricked" streak, just people who don't really know what to do to put it right.. :)

I know. And this is exactly what I'm referring to with the term "virtually-bricked" :)

2 its the dell update pkgs them selves that are the issue, they are encrypted, so locked to specific baseband and recovery versions.. the pkgs have some partiitons that are flashed that dont seem to use standard fastboot system.

I see.

tbh I didnt even realise how we could extract the contents easily till yesterday ;)

So how did you do it when you posted your 1st post in this thread? ;)

then there's the users, who struggle with something as simple as an update.pkg, most people really struggle with anything more than that.

I see. Again. B)

But again regaring my first question: Is it correct to assume that the procedure in post #1 in this thread should be usable on virtually any Streak with whatever on it currently, as long as fastboot is accesable?

Guest streakuser
1 there's no such thing as a "virtually-bricked" streak, just people who don't really know what to do to put it right.. B) there are more partitions that get flashed that are sometimes needed..

a real brick is one that has nothing going on, wont even go into low-level upload mode.

tbh I didnt even realise how we could extract the contents easily till yesterday :)

Thanks for that info. It's all a learning curve, and I managed to copy your prop into the system today and much faster. I really think that people aren't following instructions *word for word* and fallen into that trap before myself.. Thanks again!

Guest streakuser
And Swype B)

Yep I did the same - without a factory reset. Then I applied the reset and wished I hadn't. Luckily I backed up basic settings with APM Back-up from the market which had me up and running in a few minutes. -- and pasted fards build prop into the system folder using Root Explorer from the market for £2.50. Really happy with the streak now especially as everything appears to be working as it should do with seemless switching between wifi and 3g etc. No Camera FC's for me - and only minor gripe is that the volume buttons are still inverted! Unless 1.6 had it wrong??

Guest sandjero

Newbie here!!!

After "BRICK MODE" of 24 hours I did learn the lessons.

Start with my O2 Version 3883 and flashed the "unthouched 2.2" from Mr. Hyde.

Brick mode

Tried many things but nothing solved the problem.

After much reading I was able to recover my streak on stock Version 4399

Then Version 8105 then flash the "untouched 2.2" and Froyo 2.2 came smooth.

Thanks for the guys who did the instructions step-by-step and Mr. Hyde for the great job.

I'm wonder if anyone can direct me to upgrade for Mr. Hyde 1.4.1 version.

Edited by sandjero

Guest ronj1986

THANKS, this saved my Streak..........Unfortunately I found this after I had called Dell and they sent a replacement, I should receive that tomorrow in the mail though.

Guest rugbyleaguefan
Hi there,

anyone knows how to do that on a Mac?

Any help is welcome!

Cheers, Lutz

Hi All,

Could do with knowing this myself, as well..

Cheers

Andy

Guest hdbueller
I am as confused as a baby in a topless bar......I am on the O2 2.1.1 update with the 21-us bb rooted with UA. Can I just flash this as a regular update, or do I need to do the baseband sh.. I mean stuff? LOL

Thanks.....

Nevermind....I got it! B)

Guest ghostcorps

Sooo I have the Dell logo issue after trying to flash from O2 1.6.

I've given up reflashing the same thing over and over, get nothing by holding the power while putting the battery in and am seeing no success with factory resetting... is there an image file that will put me back to 4399 so I can try something else?

Edited by ghostcorps

Guest sandjero
Sooo I have the Dell logo issue after trying to flash from O2 1.6.

I've given up reflashing the same thing over and over, get nothing by holding the power while putting the battery in and am seeing no success with factory resetting... is there an image file that will put me back to 4399 so I can try something else?

Hello I found instructions and files here: http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...rboot-recovery/

Hi Stephen

This guide worked perfectlty for me and I was able to update from 'official O2 8105 2.1' to 2.2.

However, having experienced the 'too many page redirect' website issues and the FC on the camcorder I decided regrettably to go back to 8105 and await the O2 official ROM.

However, one thing I noticed is that the baseband is changed with the update you described to 2.2 (to 00 - understandably) but when you come to perform an update with an Update.pkg (dell's offcial) 2.2 ROM you get FOTA mismatch - because the baseband is still recorded somewhere as 21 not 00. Looked in build.prop but did not dig any further (noob).

Anyway - sitting now waiting for officail O2 rom or for confirmation that the Camcorder and website issues are resolved before I update further.

keep up the good work guys this site is awesome!

Same boat here. I'm about to go back to O2 2.1 until the website issues are resolved. The camcorder issues has been fixed but there are too many websites I visit regularly that give the too many page redirect error.

Guest LorD CLockaN
Same boat here. I'm about to go back to O2 2.1 until the website issues are resolved. The camcorder issues has been fixed but there are too many websites I visit regularly that give the too many page redirect error.

Just use Opera Mobile

Guest ghostcorps
Hello I found instructions and files here: http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...rboot-recovery/

Thanks, but until I get past the logo, I can not put any files on the phone itself.

I was hoping there would be a system.img equivalent for 4399, so I can flash it with Fastboot and start again.

Edited by ghostcorps

Guest AirKilroy
here's my Build.prop in case anyone wants it and has rooted the build..

extract and copy to /system (backup the old one)

it helps speed things up a bit

if you install busybox, (from the market)

then the sysctl.conf goes in /etc/ and is called by adding

sysctl -p

to /etc/init.streak.post_boot.sh on a new line after the esac

if feeling adventurous change the 6000000 value to 3000000 in sysctl.conf

Thanks fards! I didn't mess with the value in the sysctl.conf file, but here are my stock 2.2 benchmarks before and after your tweaks:

Stock 2.2:

Quadrant: 791

Linpack: 34.742

After fards tweaks:

Quadrant: 1309

Linpack: 35.15

Guest ghostcorps

Finally got it!! B)

But, here is my little contribution to the topic...

If you use RebelSIM II you should first update the RebelSIM firmware to 1.3 (currently beta) before upgrading or the sim wont be recognised.

Thanks Steve and everyone else who contributed.

Hello,

I tried flashing this untouched froyo rom and the files copied over fine using flashboot but I was stuck at the dell logo. I was on stock 1.6 ATT US with 31 baseband...i did a nandroid backup prior to flashing the files. I restored the nandroid backup and now get the flashing lights and it boots into 1.6 with a battery error and battery charging disabled error...and in the settings the baseband version and phone number is unknown....seems like during the initial froyo update the baseband was updated and the nandroid backup did not bring it back...is there a way to get the stock baseband 31 back? or do a complete US ATT 1.6 restore? Any help would be appreciated to get this back to the way it was originally. Thank you

Guest Brunswick

trying to flash these files. In fastboot mode and typed in first line in cmd. Hanging on <waiting for device>. Man this is making me nervous. I just want to get this working on my Streak. Anyone help me out here?

Guest @lk3mizt

hey guys... newbie here.

sorry!

quick question: I'm using the official eclair from dell (O2 dell), so can i install this official froyo from the OP, no problem?

Thanks.

Guest toyfreak
Hello,

I tried flashing this untouched froyo rom and the files copied over fine using flashboot but I was stuck at the dell logo. I was on stock 1.6 ATT US with 31 baseband...i did a nandroid backup prior to flashing the files. I restored the nandroid backup and now get the flashing lights and it boots into 1.6 with a battery error and battery charging disabled error...and in the settings the baseband version and phone number is unknown....seems like during the initial froyo update the baseband was updated and the nandroid backup did not bring it back...is there a way to get the stock baseband 31 back? or do a complete US ATT 1.6 restore? Any help would be appreciated to get this back to the way it was originally. Thank you

You have to flash O2 1.6 first and then AT&T 1.6 using these instructions:

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...ing-the-streak/

Guest EgosXII

so i've updated to the official, after being on stephen's brilliant 1.3...

all goes swimmingly EXCEPT i am completely unable to install any hi-def games.... angry birds, pocket legends, and minisquadron download, but say 'installation unsuccesful' after that... anyone have ANY idea what to do?? i've rebooted, tried downloading heaps of times, formatted the phone...

any ideas? would it be worth formatting the SD card??

i didn't install the tweaks cause i don't have root explorer-- would it help and is there any free alternative?

thanks heaps guys!

Guest HansTWN
so i've updated to the official, after being on stephen's brilliant 1.3...

all goes swimmingly EXCEPT i am completely unable to install any hi-def games.... angry birds, pocket legends, and minisquadron download, but say 'installation unsuccesful' after that... anyone have ANY idea what to do?? i've rebooted, tried downloading heaps of times, formatted the phone...

any ideas? would it be worth formatting the SD card??

i didn't install the tweaks cause i don't have root explorer-- would it help and is there any free alternative?

thanks heaps guys!

Don't take the short route from this thread. Go back to the official 1.6 and then use the *.pkg file to upgrade. See the link in the thread right above your post.