stackbladroid_v0.2 - Froyo ROM for Zte Blade aka Orange San Francisco

Guest stackrish

Guest nicksoph

Hi Stack

Just flashed v2 on top of flibblesan's rom - deleted Dalvik cache only

Like the boot animation

38.7fps neocore

900 then 970 then 924 quadrant scores - which may be lower than previous best of 980 on FLB3a - but feels faster?

Some apps lost - but some still ok including the ime Kboard -

Titanium backup used to reinstall missing apps

Turning off wifi and turning it on again makes it connect ok - not had a chance to try it going to sleep

chmod on su needed to keep root.

Transitions and animations quick. No oblivious faults from not wiping and starting from scratch.

No Youtube showing?

After trying it for half a day it seems to be power hungry and feeling warmer

Thanks for letting us try it.

Edited by nicksoph

Sorry, I couldn't get this out yesterday. I have now updated the main post with details of the update.

Thanks for your interest.

hi, i tried new one v0.2, dont know why, but there is 3 different dialer in the apps. i have some mp3 files that this rom does not play. i have tried flb rom it playes. may be if you can improve some of the music player settings please. power control widget not working for me. otherwise this is best rom so far i have tried. any chance for overclocking?

Edited by tapash

Guest Sebastian404
If you are one of those people whose Blade are affected by the infamous "Blade WiFi issue", you can download the following file and apply it via ClockWorkMod recovery.

I had a look at the fix for eclair, but it seems to be the wifi directory... what did you do to 'fix' it?

Guest misterLjay

great work on the rom, so far so good, will have a play with it in the morning

EDIT: synced up with my google acc and market fine but for some reason i couldn't obtain SU permission for Titanium to restore my apps, even after numerous reboots. Titanium Backup just hangs, requesting SU. Reverted back to FLB for now, fortunately I made a backup in clockworkmod.

Edited by misterLjay

Guest BillBong
great work on the rom, so far so good, will have a play with it in the morning

EDIT: synced up with my google acc and market fine but for some reason i couldn't obtain SU permission for Titanium to restore my apps, even after numerous reboots. Titanium Backup just hangs, requesting SU. Reverted back to FLB for now, fortunately I made a backup in clockworkmod.

Same here on mine. Titanium keeps losing root permission which means re-rooting/downloading busybox to get it working and then next time you it loses root again. Also I'm getting repeat "forced closes" on Quickboot and multiple screen freezes/lockups. I don't know if my problems just come from trying to restore everything from a 2.1 Titanium installation but I'm going back to 2.1 for now.

Guest stackrish
I had a look at the fix for eclair, but it seems to be the wifi directory... what did you do to 'fix' it?

It replaces the firmware for the atheros chipset with the one from http://nv-tegra.nvidia.com/gitweb/?p=3rdparty/atheros.git. It doesn't completely fix the issue, but does improve behaviour for me on Froyo. I haven't given it a proper test on Eclair.

In addition the "wmiconfig" command is also broken on the stock Orange ROM. If you try to "setwowmode" on 2.1 or the leaked 2.2 build, you'll see this. I am not sure if the wireless settings depend on that command to do stuff like wakeup from sleep.

Guest stackrish
hi, i tried new one v0.2, dont know why, but there is 3 different dialer in the apps. i have some mp3 files that this rom does not play. i have tried flb rom it playes. may be if you can improve some of the music player settings please. power control widget not working for me. otherwise this is best rom so far i have tried. any chance for overclocking?

Hmm.. There should be only two dialer apps. The default dialer is the one provider by the Contacts application. I have included "Dialer One". But it is not set to be default. AFAIK there isn't an configuration option with Launcher2 to specify which Dialer to use. So I couldn't make 'Dialer One' the default.

If you install LauncerPro or ADW, you'll have an option to select this as the default dialler.

"Power control widget" and most other widgets does not work on first boot. Just do one reboot and it should working afterwards. If it doesn't work after the reboot please let me know.

I am not a big fan of "Over clocking", so it is not something I have in my plans. Also no one has managed to build a custom 2.6.32 kernel yet.

Guest stackrish
Same here on mine. Titanium keeps losing root permission which means re-rooting/downloading busybox to get it working and then next time you it loses root again. Also I'm getting repeat "forced closes" on Quickboot and multiple screen freezes/lockups. I don't know if my problems just come from trying to restore everything from a 2.1 Titanium installation but I'm going back to 2.1 for now.

The forced closes could be because you are trying to restore everything from 2.1. Can you try restoring individual apps - one at a time?

Guest oh!dougal

WiFi Fix (Improved WiFi behaviour)

If you are one of those people whose Blade are affected by the infamous "Blade WiFi issue", you can download the following file and apply it via ClockWorkMod recovery.

I've been running the Eclair patch over Seb's r6 fat for several days now.

It seemed to make reconnection snappier, but I'm afraid 'Blade WiFi Fix' still has to occasionally kick in to cycle the power to get reconnected.

I had "wifi sleep never" set.

However, the thing I've now noticed is that the top of the phone (just above the camera lens) now gets hot during wifi use - which I'm pretty sure it never did before.

And, not surprisingly, the battery run-time has taken a dive.

Accordingly, I'm getting rid of this patch, which means a rom reflash ... Sorry!

I believe it was better than stock at "failing across" to wifi after using mobile data, but it ain't worth knackering the battery and cooking the phone just for that.

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest gambieter

I have installed this ROM and some apps (Adfree, Docstogo etc), and use Move2SD to store apps on a 8 GB class 6 SDHC card. While it works fine so far (and apps are going to the SD-card), I do feel it is very sluggish compared to BladeVillain. Browsing through the applications menu feels slow.

That is different than what I expected for a "vanilla" ROM?

Guest Olly232

I've got into a bit of a mess with this rom. Root access is somewhat intermittent which means Titanium backup only works accasionally. I want to go back to 2.1 and start again but clockworkmod recovery doesn't respond to any buttons and rom manager won't load a rom. I have reinstalled clockworkmod recovery but it made no difference. Any ideas please?

Guest rupertgo

Brill... thanks for that. Only... I can see things like the GTalk app have been added, and once again, everything about the rom works beautifully, but I can't find Youtube - and, so frustratingly, I still have the "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server" error (have once again done the whole full reset/microSD card removal/SIM removal thing) - so no email or apps for me!

Is the Youtube app there somewhere? Or is there some way for me to load it independently?

Ta,

R

[EDIT: I have managed to sideload the Youtube app, and it does seem to do the biz for getting past the account problem above. Lots of syncing now going on, although the marketplace is still confused and bombs out with an undefined error immediately. I'll give it a little while for account info to propagate through the Googlemind, and get back to it. For future reference, if anyone else is facing the same problem, I solved this by...

1. Downloading Sideload Wonder Machine from here - http://forum.androidcentral.com/android-si...wonder-machine/

2. Downloading the latest Android SDK from here - http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

3. Copied the ADB file from the SDK to the SWM directory (updates the database of known Android machines to lnclude the Blade/SanFrancisco)

4. Downloaded the Youtube app from the top of the list here - http://www.filestube.com/a/android+youtube+apk

5. Moved the apk file to SWM's transfer directory

6. Ran SWM, and da-dah!

All under Ubuntu. Had to run chmod +x menu.sh on SWM and run it under sudo (sudo ./menu.sh). Windows and Mac options are probably less hackerish.

Apols if it's against the rules to mention other forums, or if there's a better way of doing this from stuff here, but this worked for me - so far!

/EDIT]

Edited by rupertgo

Guest Kasei99

It's a really nice rom, works fine for me except for the "Dialer" crashing, "Dialer One" and "Phone" work okay though.

Feels snappier even though Heap size got reduced v1 48M -> v2 32M? I'm so happy with it because the stock rom was unbearable and the custom 2.1 still at times kind of "lagged" somehow for me. This just runs very smooooth :P

The only real annoying thing are the problems with wifi. Sometimes it won't connect or doesn't reconnect after the screen turned off for a couple of minutes. Didn't have that kind of problem with the MaDaCo r4 lite rom.

Guest stackrish

Now that we have what looks like a better and stable ROM from China, I am not sure if this work is any longer relevant. I haven't yet tested the new ROM. But I guess it is only a matter of hours before someone releases a better one.

So anyone who is planning to try this ROM that has some not so nice kludges please hold on. A better one is almost there.

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...tem-files-dump/

Guest a55hole
Brill... thanks for that. Only... I can see things like the GTalk app have been added, and once again, everything about the rom works beautifully, but I can't find Youtube - and, so frustratingly, I still have the "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server" error (have once again done the whole full reset/microSD card removal/SIM removal thing) - so no email or apps for me!

Is the Youtube app there somewhere? Or is there some way for me to load it independently?

Ta,

R

Just extract the youtube apk from another rom (eg 2.1)

did you connect to gmail via 3 or 2G (data allowed)?

Guest zhcimon

Is it possible to include the original Swedish dictionary in next release?

I just want to say that this rom is the best i've tested so far. Easily the fastest, most stable and longest battery time!

Guest johnny21a

This has been the best ROM for me, super fast and no issues so far. Only think I would like would be Gtalk, if I get it from another rom do I just have to run the apk from a file manager application or do I have to copy it somewhere in the filesystem ?

And another question, is there a kernel that has support for overclocking ???

Thank you very much for your time!