Got your Vega? Share your thoughts!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest removed-14
Just a thought, has anybody tried playing media off a USB stick plugged into the Vega?

I've tried a usb stick (and other usb devices) and they don't work. Perhaps Paul can fix that in the firmware.

Guest mikefrommega

Hi all,

has anyone tried the vega with fring for a video call? Or maybe, has anyone managed to install fring? just a thought, i loved video calls on fring via skype (on my phone), but since the 2 fell out, i am considering getting a vega (and not only for the video calls, but it would be nice if it supported them).

thx

Guest TylerDurdenK
Hi all,

has anyone tried the vega with fring for a video call? Or maybe, has anyone managed to install fring? just a thought, i loved video calls on fring via skype (on my phone), but since the 2 fell out, i am considering getting a vega (and not only for the video calls, but it would be nice if it supported them).

thx

Just installed and ran a test video call,seems to work fine.

Downloaded from here

http://reg.fring.com/app/getfring.sis?m=444

Guest elkay62
I wanted it to replace the netbook in the living room, but the mrs plays facebooks games and they dont appear to work on the android tablet and i can really justify keeping both

I was planning on getting it for my wife, with facebook games a main requirement. I'm surprised that it can't handle flash games, as my daughter's Desire (2.2) can.

Anyone have any success with flash games? Or willing to give one a go? e.g. http://www.mindjolt.com/games/scarab-solitaire

regards

elkay

Guest matneee
Or willing to give one a go? e.g. http://www.mindjolt.com/games/scarab-solitaire

regards

elkay

Works fine as far as I can tell, although I was just about ready to end it all after a couple of minutes of that bloody music B)

Also tried bookworm, which also worked, and Machinarium actually ran better than it did on a bog-standard netbook once it was in full screen.

Guest Bisto321
I've tried a usb stick (and other usb devices) and they don't work. Perhaps Paul can fix that in the firmware.

well at least the folio was good for something B) usb mouse, keyboard and hosting worked out of the box.

Not sure why it does not on advent, another simple test that advent forgot to do?

If it works on the folio paul should be able to replace the missing/broken bits from the folio rom, the options are enabled in the config - just not working it would seem.

Anyone tried usb after the upgrade? Plugging a keyboard into a tab is a bit wierd though, defeats the idea of a tab does it not? But I could see why it may be useful, hosting is a good option to have too.

Guest whatkatedoes

Saw this on twitter:

@AdventVega:

@ollieandroid The USB port is currently a single function port. We decided it was more valuable as a way to connect to a PC.

@AdventVega:

@ollieandroid We are investigating if we can auto-switch the USB port to allow both syncing and connecting USB drives.

Hopefully just a software thing?

well at least the folio was good for something B) usb mouse, keyboard and hosting worked out of the box.

Not sure why it does not on advent, another simple test that advent forgot to do?

If it works on the folio paul should be able to replace the missing/broken bits from the folio rom, the options are enabled in the config - just not working it would seem.

Anyone tried usb after the upgrade? Plugging a keyboard into a tab is a bit wierd though, defeats the idea of a tab does it not? But I could see why it may be useful, hosting is a good option to have too.

Guest Bisto321
Saw this on twitter:

@AdventVega:

@ollieandroid The USB port is currently a single function port. We decided it was more valuable as a way to connect to a PC.

@AdventVega:

@ollieandroid We are investigating if we can auto-switch the USB port to allow both syncing and connecting USB drives.

Hopefully just a software thing?

thats good news, advent seem to have learned from the folio nonsense and are doing a good job of this customer care thing. Makes the price even more of a bargain.

Guest elkay62
Works fine as far as I can tell, although I was just about ready to end it all after a couple of minutes of that bloody music :P

Also tried bookworm, which also worked, and Machinarium actually ran better than it did on a bog-standard netbook once it was in full screen.

Ive played a couple of games on Facebook without any problems.

Thanks folks, looks likes it's just what we want.

On the Scarab music - drives everybody crazy here as well!

Elkay

After setting mine up last evening i'm pretty pleased with my purchase. I think I may to go back to stock and start again though, as flash has stopped working.

The viewing angle of the screen is the biggest gripe which I was expecting but I can see why others wouldnt like it .. Otherwise it was money well spent in my book.

Hopefully we will have a stable rom replacement in the near future, mine crashed a few times last night after I installed Dolphin HD, otherwsie I can't fault it so far, other than of course the viewing angle.

Guest matneee
After setting mine up last evening i'm pretty pleased with my purchase. I think I may to go back to stock and start again though, as flash has stopped working.

Ah, the flash thing can be sorted out very simply as per this thread;

Flash Thread

Does anyone know what Curry's/PC World's returns policy would be for this device? I assume that if I was unhappy with the device or it didn't meet my expectations I would be able to return for a full refund regardless if it was faulty or not?

I guess if I was to root and install a custom rom I wouldn't be able to return it?

Many thanks

Does anyone know what Curry's/PC World's returns policy would be for this device? I assume that if I was unhappy with the device or it didn't meet my expectations I would be able to return for a full refund regardless if it was faulty or not?

I guess if I was to root and install a custom rom I wouldn't be able to return it?

Many thanks

EVen if you rooted it and put a custom rom on it you could still put the base build back on it .. .so yes you would be able to return it .. short of taking it apart

EVen if you rooted it and put a custom rom on it you could still put the base build back on it .. .so yes you would be able to return it .. short of taking it apart

Cool, do you know how much time you have to return, I guess 10 working days?

Guest removed-14
Cool, do you know how much time you have to return, I guess 10 working days?

7 working days under distance selling rules, if you buy online. You could however sell it on ebay for a profit at the moment, one went for £350 + p&p the other day.

Guest Bisto321

Many thanks

if you have opened it you only have 7 days to return it for any reason under distance selling regs. After that you may only return it if it has a fault.

Depends how nice pcw/currys are feeling, they may take it after.