Got your Vega? Share your thoughts!

Guest PaulOBrien

Don't know why anyone would want to take it back? With Paul's update on their its a really good device, for £239 its a bloody steal!!

Yeah I'm close to getting one as soon as they come back in stock, I just want to see what the browsing experience is like, especially embedded flash video this is important to me.

I wrote a quick review of the Vega in another thread earlier this morning when I was on the train on the way to work.

I've expanded the review a little bit and tidied it up slightly and published it on my Android Guide site...

http://www.androidguide.co.uk/blog/2010/no...iew-advent-vega

cool, will take a look.

thanks

Guest firedup
Yeah I'm close to getting one as soon as they come back in stock, I just want to see what the browsing experience is like, especially embedded flash video this is important to me.

cool, will take a look.

thanks

Flash playback has been good for me, equally as good as on my W7 netbook... better than I had thought.

Guest Evil Kaz

My first impressions:

I was worried that the build quality might not be great but its solid enough that i cant see it being a major problem. The OS itself is very responsive, loading web pages is very quick. So far im very impressed with the performance with flash, most videos play fine, some audio out of sync but seems to depend on the website. Flash games work great aswell as long as mouse hover/keyboard controls aren't required.

Have experienced strange behaviour with the Vega:

* When trying to play a 720p and 1080p trailer (from sd card) the device locks up nearly every time using the stock player.

* Last night after the battery sunk below 30% the touch screen was mis-reporting were i was clicking, rebooting it several times didn't fix it until i tried it again this morning.

* Sometime after the battery went below 25% the device switch off as if totally out of power, this has happened twice now. Battery needs calibration?

When i try and wake the device the screen comes on but its very dark, i can just make out the unlock swipe icon. Trying to wake it again seems to fix this.

* Its hard to tell when the device is off and when its just sleeping, i just came back to it again and the wake button wouldn't respond until I rebooted.

* It feels like my Vega has strange viewing angles. I don't know how to explain it.

Having said all that i am enjoying the Vega, its a great size and fun device. I intend to make a few videos soon showing off its capabilities :P

Guest ramb02000

Hi guys, i like the device.. one thing, is there anyway to get homepage to rotate? It allways displays in landscape and wont rotate.. find it a bit annoying... any ideas? Cheers

Guest Evil Kaz
Hi guys, i like the device.. one thing, is there anyway to get homepage to rotate? It allways displays in landscape and wont rotate.. find it a bit annoying... any ideas? Cheers

If you have the Modaco custom Rom running you can get Launcher Pro off the market.

Guest ramb02000
If you have the Modaco custom Rom running you can get Launcher Pro off the market.

Cheers mate. I got zeam going, just needed to turn a rotation setting on.

Thanks

Guest rferrett

I have only been plsying for a couple of hours but I must say really impressed given the price. The darnedthing is a bargain. Viewing angle isnt perfect, but it deffo does what I want it for and i will be keeping it for sure.

Guest rferrett

Just tried the YouTube app on Custom R3 mod to watch "Mid Morning Matters" on youtube. Was flipping class.

I am well pleased with the Vega... if only the viewing angles were slightly better....

Guest removed-14

I'm tempted to start a thread called "Bought a Vega?" With a poll to ask:

* Yes, its still stock firmware and it's great

* Yes, it has a Modaco update and it's great

* Yes, but it has been returned due to poor viewing angles

* Yes, but it has been returned due to another reason

* No, but I want one!

* No and I'm not getting one

What does everyone think?

I'm tempted to start a thread called "Bought a Vega?" With a poll to ask:

* Yes, its still stock firmware and it's great

* Yes, it has a Modaco update and it's great

* Yes, but it has been returned due to poor viewing angles

* Yes, but it has been returned due to another reason

* No, but I want one!

* No and I'm not getting one

What does everyone think?

I would be interest to see the results of that.

Guest mikefrommega

in one of Paul's posts I saw in the specs:

-Multi-touch: 4 fingers

-Built-in 3G broadband SIM card slot: yes <------------------

-Battery Type: Li-Polymer

does it actually have it?????#

(sorry if the question has already been asked and answered. i tried looking for it, but was unsuccessful)

Guest removed-14
in one of Paul's posts I saw in the specs:

-Multi-touch: 4 fingers

-Built-in 3G broadband SIM card slot: yes <------------------

-Battery Type: Li-Polymer

does it actually have it?????#

(sorry if the question has already been asked and answered. i tried looking for it, but was unsuccessful)

This first model doesn't have 3g capability but we've heard the next model out early next year will have it.

Guest rferrett

I must say I am really not all that bothered about 3G. I cant imagine there will be many occasions when I owuld want to use a tablet where I would not either have wifi or my mobile with me for tethering.

I guess the one advantage would be that tethering somewhat rinses the battery on my HTC Desire (what doesn't?), but all the same 3G has always been low on my list of priorities.

Mind you I will probably get the 3G Adam when (if?) out...

Ralph

Guest removed-14
I must say I am really not all that bothered about 3G. I cant imagine there will be many occasions when I owuld want to use a tablet where I would not either have wifi or my mobile with me for tethering.

I guess the one advantage would be that tethering somewhat rinses the battery on my HTC Desire (what doesn't?), but all the same 3G has always been low on my list of priorities.

Mind you I will probably get the 3G Adam when (if?) out...

Ralph

And would you not need a second mobile phone contract?

Guest rferrett

Indeed, I have a PAYG data sim for O2, I reckon there might be situations where it oculd be handy being able to buy some mobile data not off your phone. But in reality it is a low priority for me.

Guest nerdlinger

Sending mine back. The screen gave me a splitting headache in about 30 minutes. The viewing angles are just too limited. Trying to use it in potrait to read PDF's felt like somebody was stabbing me in the face.

Shame really, because browsing was actually quite enjoyable.

Guest Qwertymon

You can use mifi adapters if you need web acces but cant or dont want to tether, There was plans to sell the vega witha get connected contract using the mifi as its wireless

Edited by Qwertymon

Guest whatkatedoes

Had it an hour or so - very happy with it. Pauls mod applied, angry birds tested, no Angry bird am I :D

Also - the screen is fine with me.. the Folio in portrait mode was much MUCH worse - I can read comics in portrait mode without having to alternate closed eyes lol

Dont get me wrong.. the screen is the weakest element of the whole affair... but I'm happy with it :P