Got your Vega? Share your thoughts!

Guest PaulOBrien

Got my Vega this morning, initial impressions are good:

- Its heavier then I was expecting but no big deal but feels sturdy and good build quality.

- Screen is nice but viewing angles not so good (not sure what I feel about this yet, needs more use)

- Out of the box the device is limited, if I didn't have Paul's great ROM probably wouldn't keep it.

- Browsing is very nice, flash works well, even managed to get Tvcatchup.com working.

- Its a shame that some Android apps aren't compatible with large screen devices, hopefully this will be remedied with the new releases.

- The keyboard seems to be overly sensitive, I think I read somewhere that it happens when the device is charging so hopefully that will be fixed.

Overall very happy but I wish it had a kick-stand ;)

well hello folks. just had my vega for 2 days and loving it - and i'm a mac user! is that wrong? my ipod touch is too small for the things that the vega does so well...

it doesn't have the superb interface of the ipad but then it's less than half the price so, even though i'm a loyal mac user, i'm afraid that the ipad is simply too expensive and i'm getting sick of apple's walled garden - and the fact that they refuse to put blu-ray players into macs!

anyway, i know that android 3 may solve some issues like the market place -- but what is the simplest way to get/install widgets (gadgets?) onto the vega?

also, i've downloaded the pdf manual but how do i actually read it on the vega - does it need a pdf viewer installer?

can you use chrome/opera on it - how?

please be gentle...

Mine has (finally) arrived today! Ordered last Thursday, it arrived in Ipswich (where I live) on Monday, but was then sent to Hams Hall, Birmingham(!?) and then came back to Ipswich yesterday. DHL really are useless, and their tracking website only seems to get updated once per day. Arrived home to find a card through the door, assumed it would be at the local depot and I wouldn't be able to collect until at least tomorrow, but was hoping it might have been left with a neighbour. Either option would have been preferable to what had actually happened - they just left it behind the wheely bin. That's £250 of shiny new electronics, outside all day, in sub-zero temperatures! Didn't it need a signature on delivery!?

Anyway, I brought it in and let it get up to room temp before turning on. Everything working fine. First impressions:

• Seems slightly smaller in my hands than I expected (probably due to the 10" diagonal being widescreen rather than 4:3).
  • Impressed with the screen brightness and resolution - when it's turned on, the reflections don't seem to be a problem indoors (so far, at least)
  • Build quality seems pretty good. Nice magnetic catch on the cover for the usb/hdmi/microsd ports. The odd creak if you squeeze it tightly in certain places, but certainly not flimsy.
  • Comes with barely any preinstalled apps - even the facebook/twitter/youtube shortcuts on the desktop only link to the website not native apps.
  • After 20mins playing I'm ready to root and reflash. Apart from the browser, it does very little - perfect for what I want (once I put the market on it), but definitely not ready for mainstream use. Without any sort of market, or easy access to apps (and by easy I mean a route that my mum could take - ie. not downloading and installing a new ROM), it compares very poorly against other tablets on the market.

If that sounds overly negative, it isn't meant to - I'm very excited that it's arrived, and impressed with the hardware (especially considering the price). So far it's everything I wanted from a tablet, but I'm not (and I guess most people that read this forum aren't) average technology consumers. Can't wait to get a new ROM on it and start installing apps.

I'll be back in an hour...

Guest JingleManSweep
Mine has (finally) arrived today! Ordered last Thursday, it arrived in Ipswich (where I live) on Monday

Hello fellow Ipswichian... Nice to know somebody else on MoDaCo from Ipswich!

Guest JingleManSweep
Hello fellow Ipswichian... Nice to know somebody else on MoDaCo from Ipswich!

Now thats weird... Was just reading your Twitter feed (to find out what you did in Ipswich), and then got an email on my Android phone saying you are now following my website twitter feed (www.androidguide.co.uk).

Freakish coincidental timing or what!

Now thats weird... Was just reading your Twitter feed (to find out what you did in Ipswich), and then got an email on my Android phone saying you are now following my website twitter feed (www.androidguide.co.uk).

Freakish coincidental timing or what!

Hehe, small world! :-)

Guest warriorscot

DHL aren't that great, I would definitely make a complaint though. Leaving stuff outside is a big no no as far as I am concerned. Royal Mail doesn't even do that any more at least where I come from.

Got the r4 ROM and performance pack installed. Took a little while as I had to mess around with USB drivers - probably my own fault as I've played around with various different configs on my pc and laptop for different android devices.

Installing a bunch of apps from the market now, but need to tear myself away and make dinner.

WordFeud looks to work okay, and PocketRacing looks awesome! Might try to take a little video later of it in action...

Guest matneee

I've been stuck in a hotel in Leeds for the last three days, and my Vega's made it actually quite bearable. I can't really think of a more glowing recommendation than that.

Edited by matneee

Guest greenie-uk

I got a Toshiba folio 100 when it was released and sent it back in a day. Just got the Vega today,hardware is so much better quality! put the modaco rom and PP on it straight from the box and am so far very pleased!

Guest beaker656

Had mine 10 days now & can't praise it enough. I put Paul's pp on straight out of the box so can't compare stock to improved however I'm currently on holiday and thanks to the hotels free wifi it's a godsend. On the flight over from fully charged I watched 2 films

Shutter island @ 2hr 8mins on 50% brightness. 84% battery left.

Sherlock Holmes @ 2hr on 100% brightness. 47% battery left.

The viewing angles were a pain at times, but on the in seat tray with a handy blob of blutac it stayed put leaning on the seat in front.

2 days surfing a couple of hours here n there and it finally gave up the ghost. The screen reflection was a pain at times with the Mexican sun beating down but that's a cross I have to bear.

Just wish I could update to 1.06 & put on the new pp, have to wait until I home.

Guest Paul Fraser

Had mine a couple of days now and immediately put on the custom pack from this site; without this I think it would be rather crippled (no Android market) but modded reckon it is 90% as good as an iPad for about half the price. And lighter.

Have managed to sort out Flash, Angry Birds (I'm not a game player but this is great fun), Kindle (but couldn't get Asimov's SF magazine purchased off of Amazon even though it says Kindle for Android is supported), iPlayer, Catchup TV, Google Skymap, etc.

The screen is average I would say with not a great viewing angle and a bit unresponsive at the corners. I got the screen protectors and case so no particular glare with the former applied. Overall, quite pleased with it; waiting for the iPad 2 was doing my head and I wasn't going to buy one of the v1 ones.

A few questions:

Google Skymaps shows a portrait pic when I'm in landscape and when I turn it it goes to landscape -- permanently 90 degrees out.

Is Skype call only no video? Thanks.

Edited by Paul Fraser

First impressions ... I am underwhelmed

The screen viewing angles are annoying, bordering on crap. Every slight tilt changes the colour or visibility of anything on the screen

I am also having problems getting it to connect to my router ..... something which 20 or so other devices happily connect to. Why won't it just work out of the box?

I bought the Vega to do some browsing, reading documents and viewing pictures on, and initial thoughts are that it is crap for doing these basic things. OK its £180 less than an Ipad, but that is irrelevant if the thing can't do these simple things

The thing has got four days to convince me otherwise it's going back

Overall had it for a couple of days now and loving it, i agree about the screen viewing angles but I have kind of got used to putting it in the ideal position already without thinking about it so not an issue, also increasing the brightness seems to help with this. Mine is a little unresponsive at the bottom right hand corner when in landscape and for some reason hitting backspace on the keyboard likes to select an "L", but again i've got used to pressing it a bit lower. At the end of the day for 240 notes it has exceeded my expectations

Guest MotherSpyder

All. I. Can. Say. Is. That. I. Am. In. Love.

:)

I'm coming up to 24 hours with my Vega now, so.. far from enough time to be conclusive...

But there are no faults with my unit at all (touch wood) and for the price this device is bee-ee-a-yootiful!

Yes, viewing angles blah blah... it's not that bad, and certainly not a deal-breaker.

Google is referencing Honeycomb on the Tegra250, DSG are showing good support for their product, and

Paul and co show no signs of letting up either, and i personally have some nifty ideas in the pipeline...

I play with a lot of tech day to day, including the iPad (perk of the career choice) and all i see when looking

at the vega is potential, freedom and value.

Count me in as a very chuffed bunny ;)

Edit: P.S. forgot the obligatory "this was posted from my Vega!"

Edited by MotherSpyder