Got your Vega? Share your thoughts!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest removed-14
The Advent Vega would be my ideal hacking / experiments machine, but I'll wait for more reviews (a 10" touch display with poor viewing angles just isn't right for a device that is supposed to be suitable in a multi-user context).

I don't buy that. My tablet is for me to use. If i'm sharing the content ill plug it into my HD tv. The viewing angles are fine. They aren't as good as a monitor say but they aren't terrible either.

Would you mind posting a screen shot/pic of what Angry Birds looks like on it please.... Wouldn't play at all on the Folio and I wasn't sure how good it would look at that size....

Ill see if I can do a video, if not some pics.

EDIT: Video is 14% uploaded.

Edited by removed-14

Guest amarko5
Mhmm, the 80MB firmware update is an EXE file (not self-extractable, so can't be renamed to ZIP). Not great for non-Windows users.

The XDA folks have a complete ROM replacement for the Tegra-based Toshiba Folio, for those interested in hacking the Advent Vega.

to be honest it's not a major issue really, there are ways of running windows on osx and linux / unix machines

this is a good one http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

and if the truth be known i bet most users of these other machines will already be aware of this B)

Guest Bisto321
I don't buy that. My tablet is for me to use. If i'm sharing the content ill plug it into my HD tv. The viewing angles are fine. They aren't as good as a monitor say but they aren't terrible either.

Ill see if I can do a video, if not some pics.

Think 'us' galaxy tab users are spoiled with our screen - it is pretty darn good.

When I had my folio it was comparable (almost) to my ACER netbook screen, but because the tablet is not fixed to a keyboard and constantly viewed at the same angle it can be a bit distracting.

The folio was terrible in portrait mode, what is the advent like?

The folio screen looked very much like one of those lenticular images (turn it left and right to see another image) you get in a cereal box in portrait - hurt my eyes.

I understand that some of you are pleased that Advent are on the case fixing these small software issues and it does show that they are watching, but is it really good enough to launch with widget errors and no market?

Guest removed-14
Think 'us' galaxy tab users are spoiled with our screen - it is pretty darn good.

No doubt the Tab is a fab screen.

When I had my folio it was comparable (almost) to my ACER netbook screen, but because the tablet is not fixed to a keyboard and constantly viewed at the same angle it can be a bit distracting.

The folio was terrible in portrait mode, what is the advent like?

I tried to do a vid of the screen from various angles but 1) I don't have enough hands to do everything and 2) the reflection from the office lights is making my camera go nuts if I tilt the Vega upwards! But it isn't that bad.

I understand that some of you are pleased that Advent are on the case fixing these small software issues and it does show that they are watching, but is it really good enough to launch with widget errors and no market?

Widget errors are fixed in the latest version of the firmware (not tried myself, I'm waiting for Paul to hack stuff in like the Market B) ). Once the Widget errors are fixed and some kind of Market is on then the average user will be more than happy, especially for the price. For me I know the Widgets will work and I know Paul will get us all a custom ROM we will love!

Guest TylerDurdenK
You could try WinAmp, not sure if the APK is available from their website, but I've put in on my Archos 101 and works quite nicely

Thanks for the idea. I've actually just installed PowerAmp, which is working very well, and in full screen too.

Sound quality is not good however, not through any player / website. The treble seems distorted at any volume.

Guest removed-14
@tonyyeb Have you tried RockPlayer?

I don't have any videos at work to try on it so no point at the moment. Hopefully when I get home from work (after 9pm!) I should be able to play more.

Guest removed-14
The specs don't seem to tell you but if you can help, I would like to know if the battery is user replaceable?

Cheers

The back does look it would come off, but I can't see how you would start. As it's day 1 of ownership i'm going to try. I'm sure it wont be long before someone does have it apart!

Guest Bisto321
Thanks for the video! B) I'm torn on weather to get this or the Galaxy Tab now. I was going to pick up a Tab Friday so there is plenty of more time to get everyone's impressions of the thing.

The Advent is looking like it may be a winner, mostly because it seems to be at least as good(bad?) as the folio, but at a much better price.

The TAB is excellent and I am very impressed with the quality and features (GPS, 3g, screen da da da) but the Advent is a different animal and looks pretty nice at the price.

The TAB is coming down in price, got mine for £440 at PCW who price matched staple's - 10% Shame you can't go and play with the Advent, but if you order one online you can play with it for a few days and then send it back under the distance selling regs if you don't like it :)

Why would you want to? It doesn't have support for the h/w accelerated chipset yet... or am I missing something?

What I want to know is whether the standard system player will play 720p/1080p .mkv's streamed across the wifi with DTS soundtracks in as all our content is ripped to that standard. Not sure if g will have enough bandwidth for that though (the fact it doesn't have wireless N is the only thing putting me off getting one of these at the moment).

Guest newcube
The Advent is looking like it may be a winner, mostly because it seems to be at least as good(bad?) as the folio, but at a much better price.

The TAB is excellent and I am very impressed with the quality and features (GPS, 3g, screen da da da) but the Advent is a different animal and looks pretty nice at the price.

The TAB is coming down in price, got mine for £440 at PCW who price matched staple's - 10% Shame you can't go and play with the Advent, but if you order one online you can play with it for a few days and then send it back under the distance selling regs if you don't like it ;)

But the question for me is still: "Archos 101 or Advent Vega?"

Has anyone used both?

Guest SilentMobius

Hi all. Hope everyone is having fun with their Vega's

If you have time could you please post a video propping the Vega up in portrait mode and moving the camera from side to side by about 20deg each way, just to give us an idea of how usable it is in portrait. I couldn't use the Folio in portrait at all, if the Vega is ok it's an immediate purchase for me.

Guest Bisto321
Widget errors are fixed in the latest version of the firmware (not tried myself, I'm waiting for Paul to hack stuff in like the Market :) ). Once the Widget errors are fixed and some kind of Market is on then the average user will be more than happy, especially for the price. For me I know the Widgets will work and I know Paul will get us all a custom ROM we will love!

Yeah, Paul and the other devs will be all over it and it will be 'as it should' pretty soon.

My observation was about the average punter getting it out of the box and not understanding why they can't put widget thingies on the screen without an error, why they can't put more apps on it from the AppsLib thing (any answer from Advent yet?) and why the .exe update file does not work on their Mac/Linux box.

Early day's and they will get it right I am sure - good job the first 15,000? or so went to MoDaCo members B) - the average Joe may get a bit lost!

Guest TylerDurdenK

I've installed it, and I'm in the process of copying some video content to the device.

Any particular formats you want testing?

I've installed it, and I'm in the process of copying some video content to the device.

Any particular formats you want testing?

720p/1080p .mkv with DTS audio would be good for me B)

Guest Bisto321
But the question for me is still: "Archos 101 or Advent Vega?"

Has anyone used both?

I would say that if you are set on one of these devices the Advent would win hands down. Much better spec and you won't have to pay for your codec's and features (favourite trick of Archos).

The only unknown between the two is the screen comparison - but I think the Archos is very similar.

Guest removed-14
Hi all. Hope everyone is having fun with their Vega's

If you have time could you please post a video propping the Vega up in portrait mode and moving the camera from side to side by about 20deg each way, just to give us an idea of how usable it is in portrait. I couldn't use the Folio in portrait at all, if the Vega is ok it's an immediate purchase for me.

Here is a quick video with viewing angles. Just uploading a portrait one too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NHeRrEXh68