03/Mar Gr26 - NO SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.3.3 / GRI54)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest UKTamo
Actually, think I probably know the dropbear issue, bear with me...

P

Thanks... I reflashed 4 times cos I thought I'd missed it off my build... Paul I messaged you on twitter... about a mirror for delia... seeing as it can be so slow :(

Guest ShirazS

I've just flashed this ROM and taken it for a test run. It beats any other GB rom out there for speed and performance. Awesome stuff Paul :(

Guest thephreak
Hi Paul,

Thanks again for the work you've done on this. Working great so far!

I'll +1 to a Kitchen option to install the drop down power controls found in a few other custom ROMS. They're quite useful, more so when you've not got them anymore!

And other bug, which appears to be across all Gingerbread ROMS, and I wonder if you could work his magic on...

Bluetooth Phonebook sharing!

I can pair my phone to my Sony system (one of the standard ones in a Ford Focus) and all is well. I can make calls, receive them etc... turn of the engine, restart, reconnect no problems.

But, if I accept the phonebook sharing request, where my phone sends numbers to the stereo so it can display who's calling, it stops the phone connecting properly thereafter. Constantly connecting and reconnecting.

Any clues on how to fix?

Cheers,

John

have the same problem with my parrot... also have this issue on the gingervillian1.4 rom.

Guest tuatha
I'm looking into trackball wake, no plans to add the pulldown menu controls at this time.

P

Aw, that's a pity. The pull-down controls are my favourite mod.

Hopefully somebody else will have the skillz to make a flashable zip for us...

Guest ShirazS
re: Flashlight / Radio, no, not the HTC versions, but we might be able to put in replacements.

You could use the ones CM and Oxygen use.

Edited by ShirazS

Guest thunder62
You could use the ones CM and Oxygen use.

I am using the flashlight button in Quick Settings (available in the Android Market) and it works just great....

Guest ShirazS
I am using the flashlight button in Quick Settings (available in the Android Market) and it works just great....

Will try that, thanks. Is there an FM Radio app from the Market that might work?

Guest bornesen

Hello Paul,

I have used you Blade Froyo Rom on my ZTE Blade and it was perfect. In the meantime I have switched to a Desire which is running with the Oxygen 2.01. I quite like it but I have huge problem with the USB transfer rate when writing to the SDCard. I have read that this is problem of the kernel Gingerbread is using. Can you confirm this, because that should be the case with your Rom too then.

Guest Anchor Man

I'd like to add my thanks to Paul for this ROM. I have to say I've been really impressed with it (coming from Paul's r9 Sense ROM) - especially the battery life, it's much better.

Hopefully Paul is able to iron out the last few kinks that people have mentioned to really put the icing on the proverbial cake.

Quick question:

I flashed before Paul fixed the echo issue so I've now downloaded a new copy of the ROM from the kitchen. Have others flashed over an existing install without any problems (i.e. without wiping first)? Just wondering, to be safe I may just wipe and start again anyway as Titanium Backup makes the process pretty painless.

Guest renegade027
Hello Paul,

I have used you Blade Froyo Rom on my ZTE Blade and it was perfect. In the meantime I have switched to a Desire which is running with the Oxygen 2.01. I quite like it but I have huge problem with the USB transfer rate when writing to the SDCard. I have read that this is problem of the kernel Gingerbread is using. Can you confirm this, because that should be the case with your Rom too then.

It is an issue with 2.6.37 and .38 kernels. My understanding is that there's very little to gain from running a .37/.38 kernel on an Android phone compared to a, say, 2.6.35 one, which does NOT have the USB transfer issue. So you could as well try one of those. This one for example: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=883598

Two more things to note:

1) HTC Desires often have issues with HAVS kernels, so it might be a good idea to stick with a SVS one. Nobody, to the best of my knowledge, has been able to show HAVS is significantly more energy efficient.

2) With a Desire you'd never get USB transfer rates as fast as you were getting with the Blade. It's just one of very few shortcomings of the HTC Desire - crappy internal SD reader.

Finally, a solution which does not require replacing the stock kernel (very nice): Search the market for Multi Mount SD-Card Lite - a clever little utility - actually a widget - that gives you a one touch SD storage mount to a computer while still having the card mounted under Android. As a side benefit you get your Desire's USB transfer rate close to its potential even with a .37/.38 kernel.

Downsides of this approach include: phone would freeze occasionally on disconnect from Multi Mount SD - maybe once every 10 times. Also the Lite version has a very annoying ad-supported interface which activates at bootup if the widget is placed on any of your homescreens.

Hope this helps.

Nick.

Guest Cwiiis

I wiped and flashed this rom last week - it's great on the whole, especially coming from a dodgy Desire HD rom, but occasionally my phone will just randomly reboot and then get stuck in a reboot loop.

Also, when picking the reboot option from the power-button menu, it seems to just get stuck and the dialog won't disappear (but steals touch input, meaning you have to take the battery out...)

Last issue, the USB mass storage mount screen appears over the lock screen when you have a pattern lock setup - that's surely a security issue?

Is anyone else experiencing this? (the random reboots are very seldom, so it may take a week or more before you experience it... I'm not sure what conditions trigger it)

Guest haggis23

I'll agree to the reboot loop issue, but I've only had it once since 3rd March (today actually), happened while playing a game, but being that rare doesn't bother me.

Guest bornesen
It is an issue with 2.6.37 and .38 kernels. My understanding is that there's very little to gain from running a .37/.38 kernel on an Android phone compared to a, say, 2.6.35 one, which does NOT have the USB transfer issue. So you could as well try one of those. This one for example: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=883598

Two more things to note:

1) HTC Desires often have issues with HAVS kernels, so it might be a good idea to stick with a SVS one. Nobody, to the best of my knowledge, has been able to show HAVS is significantly more energy efficient.

2) With a Desire you'd never get USB transfer rates as fast as you were getting with the Blade. It's just one of very few shortcomings of the HTC Desire - crappy internal SD reader.

Finally, a solution which does not require replacing the stock kernel (very nice): Search the market for Multi Mount SD-Card Lite - a clever little utility - actually a widget - that gives you a one touch SD storage mount to a computer while still having the card mounted under Android. As a side benefit you get your Desire's USB transfer rate close to its potential even with a .37/.38 kernel.

Downsides of this approach include: phone would freeze occasionally on disconnect from Multi Mount SD - maybe once every 10 times. Also the Lite version has a very annoying ad-supported interface which activates at bootup if the widget is placed on any of your homescreens.

Hope this helps.

Nick.

Wow, tnx a lot renegade027 for this exhaustive reply. I will try the 2.6.35 Kernel first and then MultimountSD should this be necessary. Apart from it is hard to believe that the BLADE is really ahead of the Desire when it comes to SD card reader quality BUT it explains a lot.