MoDaCo Custom r6 discussion archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest 2old2mould

This may be of some use to some of you. I had all sorts of dramas trying to get Paul's ROM onto my Vega. Having rooted and flashed my N1 with Cyanogen's CM6 mod I thought this would be a doddle... it wasn't.

The main issue was getting Windows to recognise the device properly. I was running windows 7 and whatever I did the laptop I was using would not change drivers to the one within Paul's ZIP file.

Eventually after much wailing and gnashing of teeth I starting surfing the net for any info on the Nvidia Harmony/Tegra drivers and lo and behold I came across a little bit of code which resolved the problem.

Firstly I uninstalled any and all reference to the device in Device Manager including the Composite Driver and Mass USB driver.

I then disconnected the device and used wordpad to open the Google drivers which came in the SDK (android-sdk-windows\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf) and inserted the following (under Google.NTx86).

;NVIDIA Tegra

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7000

%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100&MI_01

I saved the file and then rebooted my laptop (just to be sure).

I reconnected the device and when the new hardware wizard popped up for the Nvidia Harmony, I pointed the wizard at the modified google driver and bingo, it installed correctly.

I was then able to carry on with the installation using ADB.

FYI for those of you having trouble with changing your command prompt to match the Directory, a simple way is to copy your CMD.exe app from SYSTEM32 (make sure you copy and not cut!) to the folder you have install-windows.bat located in. Then, when you run the CMD prompt it will automatically run within that folder (in W7 anyway!).

Hope that's clearer...

2o2m.

Guest flyingscotno1

On an aside since I've updated to this my google search bar is now only half screen rather than full screen. Is there a way to get the old one back or is it the way it is with updates (that I wouldn't want to uninstall for a search bar?)

Thanks for the code. Sounds like similar issues to me and my W7 computer- one device a doddle next one not so!

Guest gitf@ce

I found a simple solution... can't beleive the hassle it's just caused me with auto driver installing etc.

I've just been told to finish putting up the xmas lights (ouch), I'll post back asap.

Guest jellywobbles
Set device to debug

Connect the device

Microsoft will load its generic usb storage driver

Bottom left hand side in the system tray open the USB connection icon by double clicking on it

Select USB Mass Storage Device

Right Click on it

Choose Driver Tab

Select Update Drivers

Select No not this time click Next

Select Install from Specific Location

Choose Directory you unzipped Pauls USB driver too

Install all drivers when prompted

It will do at least two the second being the Composite Driver

Once finished

Start Run CMD

Then in the MSDOS window CD to Pauls update then run install-windows.bat

Volia

It is simply microsoft selecting the wrong driver for you.

Good luck

:(

Cheers Unclebob - without you, I'd never have got this installed! I tried TWO WinXP laptops - both no go!

After reading your instructions - BINGO!

Thank you - after over an hour of trying I was beginning to wish I hadnt bought the bl**dy thing :)

Your valuable "tip" needs merging with Paul's instructions. :)

Guest landofhopeandglory
I found a simple solution... can't beleive the hassle it's just caused me with auto driver installing etc.

I've just been told to finish putting up the xmas lights (ouch), I'll post back asap.

Can't wait gitf@ce....

Guest gitf@ce

Ok... i'm on Win 7 x64.

Tried all of the suggestions here and just became frustrated when after uninstalling drivers they would just auto install again, no options to select from disk etc..

I have a myriad of computers with different os'es... same issues.

Just before I was about to fling this ruddy tablet out of the window (pressure from the wife etc), I decided to have one last fiddle. All I did was click properties of one of the Tegra drivers in device manager (it's missing from my system now but it was the lower one of two I had showing) - driver - update driver and then browse my computer and locate the usb driver in the baked rom I had downloaded. It instantly installed and the Tegra changed to Android Phone - Android Composite ADB Interface.

I then clicked start - run - typed in cmd - ok - cd\ (location of install-windows.bat) and hit enter. Everything loaded without a hitch!

Sorry if this is a mess but I'm exhausted and need some kip.

Guest jellywobbles
............... touch screen is a little imprecise, there is a way to calibrate it?

thanks

I agree - I get a fair bit of "character bounce" when using virtual keyboard. :) Would be nice to be able to calibrate it.

Other than that - the new ROM makes an excellent table simply brilliant!

Guest jellywobbles
WOW!

alcaholics have the AA

gambling addicts the GA

we must join the FVAC Frustrated Vega Annon Club

4 of us already.....

If just one kind sole who has already modified their Vega so it's running like a steam train on speed, could re-do it right from scratch as if they had just got the thing out of the box and video a follow me how to.you would be a hero and well rewarded for your random act of kindness...I too wish to be treated like an idiot and walked by the hand so steadily you would think I needed two new hips. :)

I have to say I agree 100% with all that you have said. I am much older than your 50 years - been in IT for yonks - have flashed re-flashed my HTC HD2 with so many ROM's I cannot remember how many times; built a MAC Clone for £300 - all of which was kids play when compared to "re-flashing" my Advent Vega! I was almost at the point where I was gonna give up & send it back to Currys. I tried a Win7 laptop & two separate WinXP laptops - no go on any of them. In all cases MS insisted on ignoring the new Vega drivers - I just couldnt "see" the damn device in Device manager, until I manually "forced" a driver upgrade using the drivers that came from the kitchen. I think I was so frustrated after a couple of hours, I just couldn't see the obvious solution of a manual install!

Like all things - once you have done it - its a doddle. I'll see if I can put together some instructions - as its clearly this darned driver update that's causing all of the misery!

Once its done, it transforms the Vega into a fantastic piece of kit.

Merry Xmas :)

P.S. If anyone living in the Southampton area is struggling with applying the new ROM, I'll be glad to help out.

Edited by jellywobbles

Guest landofhopeandglory
I have to say I agree 100% with all that you have said. I am much older than your 50 years - been in IT for yonks - have flashed re-flashed my HTC HD2 with so many ROM's I cannot remember how many times; built a MAC Clone for £300 - all of which was kids play when compared to "re-flashing" my Advent Vega! I was almost at the point where I was gonna give up & send it back to Currys. I tried a Win7 laptop & two separate WinXP laptops - no go on any of them. In all cases MS insisted on ignoring the new Vega drivers - I just couldnt "see" the damn device in Device manager, until I manually "forced" a driver upgrade using the drivers that came from the kitchen. I think I was so frustrated after a couple of hours, I just couldn't see the obvious solution of a manual install!

Like all things - once you have done it - its a doddle. I'll see if I can put together some instructions - as its clearly this darned driver update that's causing all of the misery!

Once its done, it transforms the Vega into a fantastic piece of kit.

Merry Xmas :)

P.S. If anyone living in the Southampton area is struggling with applying the new ROM, I'll be glad to help out.

jellywobbles,

I have asked the wife if we can move to Southampton....she said no because the children have only just settled with the new probation officer. :)

If you would be so kind on your instructions to explain what one will see on each screen on each step.

It would also be most valuable to know just what the end loaded product should have/look like so we know if we have been 100% successfull or not.

Can I ask if a USB 3G will be able to be connected and work for the Vega after Pauls new ROM?

Thanks again to all who have been so patient with the IT illiterate such as I.I have had my 3 Vegas over 3 weeks now and its amazing how far you can throw them out of frustration. We are so lucky we don't have a cat (or rather the cat is!).

Guest unclebob31
Cheers Unclebob - without you, I'd never have got this installed! I tried TWO WinXP laptops - both no go!

After reading your instructions - BINGO!

Thank you - after over an hour of trying I was beginning to wish I hadnt bought the bl**dy thing :)

Your valuable "tip" needs merging with Paul's instructions. :)

Jellywobbles...

no worries appreciate the sentiments and happy my post managed to help you.

Always issues at some point with USB and microsoft and its not an obvious solution updating through the USB system icon - but it works!

Hats off to Paul though.

Great work and well worth the subscription.

The best

UB

Kitchen updated to r5, prebakes online soon!

P

Changelog

r5 15/Dec

• Updated to 1.06.5 release base
  • Updated all Google components
  • Now including a 'small bar' prebake option
  • Re-added Flash (which now auto-installs at the start of the add-on install process)

Guest TylerDurdenK
Kitchen updated to r5, prebakes online soon!

P

Changelog

r5 15/Dec

• Updated to 1.06.5 release base
  • Updated all Google components
  • Now including a 'small bar' prebake option
  • Re-added Flash (which now auto-installs at the start of the add-on install process)

Sounds great Paul.

Can you confirm whether applying this add on will wipe my apps and settings?

Thanks.

Guest Sir Gash
Applying the addon won't, but upgrading to 1.06.5 will!

P

Thanks Paul! Just to confirm, we must install 1.06.5 first even if we are on R4+PP? I assume that if I do a nandroid backup using Clockwork recovery of my current ROM, then upgrade to 1.06.5 then R5+PP, if for any reason I want to go back a nandroid restore will take me back without any problems?

Cheers.

Guest MonkeyBoy451
Applying the addon won't, but upgrading to 1.06.5 will!

P

Yeah thats a shame - just upgraded to 1.06.5 before I realised I hadnt run titanium back in a while.

Have installed the r5 from the Kitchen and all appears fine so far on stock. :)

Guest landofhopeandglory
Yeah thats a shame - just upgraded to 1.06.5 before I realised I hadnt run titanium back in a while.

Have installed the r5 from the Kitchen and all appears fine so far on stock. :)

Now I know what runners feel like when the are constantly lapped by those that can run.. :)

Guest MonkeyBoy451
Now I know what runners feel like when the are constantly lapped by those that can run.. :)

lol - its no so bad - my last backup was a couple of days ago - in all the excitement of r5 coming this morning, I completely forgot about doing a backup 1st.

Wont make that mistake again. lol

Thanks Paul! Just to confirm, we must install 1.06.5 first even if we are on R4+PP? I assume that if I do a nandroid backup using Clockwork recovery of my current ROM, then upgrade to 1.06.5 then R5+PP, if for any reason I want to go back a nandroid restore will take me back without any problems?

Cheers.

Correct (on both counts).

P