MoDaCo Custom r6 discussion archive

Guest PaulOBrien

My apps can't get root either, wonder if this is related to the vega official update rather than paul's bolt-ons?

yer its not just titanium, its all apps that require root access.

good job i did nandroid before updating to this.

Edited by r8zer

Guest MonkeyBoy451
Have you tried the 're-enable Flash' thread in the forum?

P

Yep, tried that first but no joy unfortunately.

Have just downloaded the apk that sir gash linked above and installed that, then went to m.flash.com and it appears to be working again. :)

Guest gingercat
Have you tried the 're-enable Flash' thread in the forum?

P

Thanks - sorry, didn't spot that thread - flash up and running now. Lack of root access for apps is my only issue now. Thanks for all ur hard work!

Guest warriorscot

I had issues with root a reflash with a new rom fixed it, have no idea why it didn't work the first time it was the same in both windows and linuxs until I eventually got sick of it and started over.

I had issues with root a reflash with a new rom fixed it, have no idea why it didn't work the first time it was the same in both windows and linuxs until I eventually got sick of it and started over.

right will try from 1.0.6.5 again and try again.

EDIT:: Yerp weird, first install didnt like it, second time round worked perfect!!

Edited by r8zer

Guest gingercat

Ok, so I got the dreaded blank screen on boot, thought to be related to the beta clockworkmod. Re-flashed official rom, then modaco rom, this time using the batch file rather than clockworkmod. Installed just fine and apps now have root access again so I can only assume that the clockwork flash method resulted in the root issue.

Guest fpdave100

note that the first line echo Waiting for device... doesnt come out because it has a > character in it, which redirects output to a file (its a standard Unix feature which Windows uses).

Mine still doesnt get any further than

D:\Temp\vegaupdate>install-windows.bat

Waiting for device... ensure USB Debugging is enabled in Settin

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

tho :)

Guest androiduser101

I've just installed R5 but Flash sites aren't working for me? iPlayer for example wants me to install Flash. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance..

Guest Pyr0x64
Ok, so I got the dreaded blank screen on boot, thought to be related to the beta clockworkmod. Re-flashed official rom, then modaco rom, this time using the batch file rather than clockworkmod. Installed just fine and apps now have root access again so I can only assume that the clockwork flash method resulted in the root issue.

i had the problem with apps not requesting root access after using clockworkmod recovery to flash the add-on pack, and also ended up having to reflash again after rebooting to a blank screen.

after re-flashing 1.06.5 then the addon pack using the batch file method instead i have root again :)

Edited by Pyr0x64

Guest landofhopeandglory

For those that offered to help:

I am running Windows XP:

I have downloaded and flashed the 1.06 on each of the 3 vegas without any probs.

I chose my apps boxes on Pauls ROM on page 1 and baked it, then placed that file onto my desktop.

I extracted the USB file from the bake, unzipped it and again placed the file on my desktop.

I turn on the Vegas de-bug, connect the USB cable to the laptop and Vega and in Device Manager, uninstall the mass usb storage device and the Nvidia Harmony devise in disks.

I then go to the top of device manager were the name of my computer is, right click and select check for hardware changes.

I am then asked to install file, which I manually select, pointing to were Pauls unzipped USB file is on my desktop.

This works as the disk then identify as a ADP but immediately windows again asked for another file.

Despite opening the baked file and clicking on windows -jnstall.bot apart from a quick flash, nothing.

So I do the same only this time chose have disk and insert by cut and pace the files link name of Pauls Baked ROM on my desktop, again nothing happens.

I feel I am not far from cracking it but am slowly losing the will to live.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Guest NDroidB

I have the same problem as 'warriorscot' had with R5 prebaked smallbar rom - the bar does not appear to be any smaller.

Also noticed that when the add-on is installed using the cmd prompt method, there is a message towards the end of the list which states that there is 'not enough space' (just before 'setting permissions').

All seems to be working a treat though, including flash....... just no smallbar. :)

Any thoughts?

P.S. Many thanks Paul - U R D Man!

Guest fpdave100
:

I turn on the Vegas de-bug, connect the USB cable to the laptop and Vega and in Device Manager, uninstall the mass usb storage device and the Nvidia Harmony devise in disks.

I then go to the top of device manager were the name of my computer is, right click and select check for hardware changes.

I am then asked to install file, which I manually select, pointing to were Pauls unzipped USB file is on my desktop.

:

I'm on Windows 7 x86 Pro and struggling, and only got my Vega today, and am very much an Android newbie

I have updated to 1.06.05 Ok (including installing the usb driovers that came with it)

I have tried to install the drivers that come with the r5-vega-modacocustomromaddon-smallbar-signed.zip

but windows says "Windows could not find driver software for your device."

what I do is:

put vega in to debug mode, and attach USB

it fails to install driver and doesnt give me option to select one

I have to go in afterwards against the APX device in WIndows Device manager I select Update Driver

browse to the driver that came with the package, and it gives that error msg.

I can re-install the drivers that came with the 1.06.05 package, but they dont do the trick do they?

what am I doing wrong?

Speaking of flash, I installed a cooked R5 on top of 1.06.5 and flash initially didnt work, so went to /system/etc/shuttle_priv and installed it manually, but just noticed its the older. 18 version, Ive just installed the newer. 22 version and will see how it goes

Guest jasonic8
I have to go in afterwards against the APX device in WIndows Device manager I select Update Driver

I thought the APX device only appeared when using the advent 'recovery' mode to flash the official rom - have I got that wrong?

When applying the MoDaCo Custom Add-on you just power on normally but with debug mode enabled (Settings->Application->Development). If you don't see the Harmony device (that's the one you direct to MoDaCo's USB drivers) then maybe uninstall the Tegra2 device and the USB mass storage and scan for hardware changes. That worked for me.

Edited by jasonic8

Guest fpdave100
I thought the APX device only appeared when using the advent 'recovery' mode to flash the official rom - have I got that wrong?

When applying the MoDaCo Custom Add-on you just power on normally but with debug mode enabled (Settings->Application->Development). If you don't see the Harmony device (that's the one you direct to MoDaCo's USB drivers) then maybe uninstall the Tegra2 device and the USB mass storage and scan for hardware changes. That worked for me.

I read somewhere on here that to replace the correct driver I had to run in recovery mode - I may have got mixed up between debug and recovery modes tho!!

gonna try once more in my win7 box, then over to my old WinXP box

[edit]

Looking a bit better now.

for the benefit of others:

I connected my Vega with debugging on, but NOT in recovery mode

I scanned for drivers and it came up with Nvidia Harmony.

I went to change its device but it has 2: Tegra something and USB mass storage.

I uninstalled the Tegra device

I uninstalled the mass storage device

I scanned for hardware changes and it found an USB -> Android Debug bridge interface device for the first time!

I then updated the drivers of that device to point to Paul's specific ones from his download

it eventually said "Windows has successfully updated your driver software", and I have an "Android Phone -> Android Composite ADB Interface" device.

Maybe I should stop now while I'm ahead. Note sure I can stand anymore dissapointment tonight and I need sleep!

[Edit2]

I didnt go to sleep. It did something, lots of files being trabnsaferred and then a reboot, but also:

push: files/system/etc/shuttle_priv/libflashplayer_froyo_gles2_20101019_v10.1.95.18_signed.apk -> /system/etc/shuttle_pr

iv/libflashplayer_froyo_gles2_20101019_v10.1.95.18_signed.apk

[b]failed to copy[/b] 'files/system/etc/shuttle_priv/libflashplayer_froyo_gles2_20101019_v10.1.95.18_signed.apk' to '/system/et

c/shuttle_priv/libflashplayer_froyo_gles2_20101019_v10.1.95.18_signed.apk': No space left on device

Setting permissions

Error: Could not access the Package Manager.  Is the system running?

Done, rebooting

I certainly have MANY more apps, and can access the market. Wooheee!!

Thanks to all who helped

Edited by fpdave100

Guest swarrans
I read somewhere on here that to replace the correct driver I had to run in recovery mode - I may have got mixed up between debug and recovery modes tho!!

gonna try once more in my win7 box, then over to my old WinXP box

[edit]

Looking a bit better now.

for the benefit of others:

I connected my Vega with debugging on, but NOT in recovery mode

I scanned for drivers and it came up with Nvidia Harmony.

I went to change its device but it has 2: Tegra something and USB mass storage.

I uninstalled the Tegra device

I uninstalled the mass storage device

I scanned for hardware changes and it found an USB -> Android Debug bridge interface device for the first time!

I then updated the drivers of that device to point to Paul's specific ones from his download

it eventually said "Windows has successfully updated your driver software", and I have an "Android Phone -> Android Composite ADB Interface" device.

Maybe I should stop now while I'm ahead. Note sure I can stand anymore dissapointment tonight and I need sleep!

[Edit2]

I didnt go to sleep. It did something, lots of files being trabnsaferred and then a reboot, but also:

push: files/system/etc/shuttle_priv/libflashplayer_froyo_gles2_20101019_v10.1.95.18_signed.apk -> /system/etc/shuttle_pr

[b]failed to copy[/b] 'files/system/etc/shuttle_priv/libflashplayer_froyo_gles2_20101019_v10.1.95.18_signed.apk' to '/system/et

c/shuttle_priv/libflashplayer_froyo_gles2_20101019_v10.1.95.18_signed.apk': No space left on device

Setting permissions

Done, rebooting

Thanks to all who helped

You're there - don't worry about the error message

Guest swarrans
For those that offered to help:

I am running Windows XP:

This works as the disk then identify as a ADP but immediately windows again asked for another file.

Despite opening the baked file and clicking on windows -jnstall.bot apart from a quick flash, nothing.

So I do the same only this time chose have disk and insert by cut and pace the files link name of Pauls Baked ROM on my desktop, again nothing happens.

I feel I am not far from cracking it but am slowly losing the will to live.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

What did you do when "windows again asked for another file"? You should be able to keep pointing windows to where you downloaded pauls usb drivers until it works.

You don't want to "open the baked file and click on the install file" but open the command prompt (start, run, them type in cmd and a black command prompt will appear). It will almost certainly be in the wrong directory so type cd \ to get it back to the root directory and then cd advent (where "advent" equals whatever directory you have downloaded the baked rom to)

You are quite close but it is difficult to give 100% step by step instructions if you don't really understand what the instructions mean and are doing

I have the same problem as 'warriorscot' had with R5 prebaked smallbar rom - the bar does not appear to be any smaller.

You are still in the "Posters" group so you haven't paid your £9.99 to go ad free. Unless you got the pack from someone else :) you won't have the small toolbar in your ROM. You won't have the performance pack either....

[Edit2]

Setting permissions

Done, rebooting

Thanks to all who helped

You have everything but flash won't be working. As you are in the "Posters" group, you won't have the performance pack/small toolbar pack. I think those move more files out of the way to create more space on /system to push the flash player...

Guest NDroidB
You are still in the "Posters" group so you haven't paid your £9.99 to go ad free. Unless you got the pack from someone else :) you won't have the small toolbar in your ROM. You won't have the performance pack either....

?????? Why include a prebake rom in the first post with 'smallbar' in there then ????? I would check your facts before giving everyone the 'your not part of our club' treatment.

Remember there are a lot of new people joining in this party as a result of their Vega purchase and some just want to dip there toes a little before jumping in!

Guest removed-14
?????? Why include a prebake rom in the first post with 'smallbar' in there then ????? I would check your facts before giving everyone the 'your not part of our club' treatment.

Remember there are a lot of new people joining in this party as a result of their Vega purchase and some just want to dip there toes a little before jumping in!

Whilst this is true you will notice that the majority of Vega owners have paid for the Ad-Free subscription, not just for access to the kitchen but as a thanks to Paul for his hard work.

In all fairness I did not read arad85's post as anything other than an explanation for why the small notification bar was not working and certainly do not believe that it was said in a way which might be suggesting.

This site and the development of the Vega constantly relies on new people joining and people need to be able to ask anything which they are unsure on no matter how silly people may think and without being scared of being shot down in flames but the truth of the matter is that yes there is different groups and each one as access to slightly different options which is depending on which one you have paid and signed upto.

Let's not forget that Paul does offer his basic roms free of charge which he certainly does not have too, which is aimed at the new people who just want to try it out not to mention the fact that the Vega is now a proper tablet as a result so I am certainly not going to critise him for a thread title.

Guest NDroidB
In all fairness I did not read arad85's post as anything other than an explanation for why the small notification bar was not working and certainly do not believe that it was said in a way which might be suggesting.

This site and the development of the Vega constantly relies on new people joining and people need to be able to ask anything which they are unsure on no matter how silly people may think and without being scared of being shot down in flames but the truth of the matter is that yes there is different groups and each one as access to slightly different options which is depending on which one you have paid and signed upto.

Let's not forget that Paul does offer his basic roms free of charge which he certainly does not have too, which is aimed at the new people who just want to try it out not to mention the fact that the Vega is now a proper tablet as a result so I am certainly not going to critise him for a thread title.

T4ylor - you are a true pragmatist.

I am VERY, VERY new to all this stuff and braved to ask a question - I have no idea what I am getting into, but I am sure I will make up my own mind to subscribe to 'ad-free' at a point when I have the benefit of experience that everyone else seems to have (certainly Paul seems to deserve every penny!).

However, it is quite intimidating when a genuine first post question is met with (what feels like) such houndings.

Edited by NDroidB

Teehee.. I'd check your facts before accusing me of anything. The prebake you can download does NOT contain the small toolbar (in fact, the option is greyed out as you can't select it in the build). The download that does include it is only available to the paid up members.

Well.. if you'd read a couple of other posts before jumping in, you'd have seen this post from me from 2:15 yesterday: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1517244 which explains exactly what is and isn't available from the kitchen :)