MoDaCo Custom r6 discussion archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest mark newton
I came across that and solved it by first going into r2 USB drivers folder and extract the USB zip. Then go to device manager and right click the USB driver your previously installed to update to v1.04 and click update driver. Then click to locate driver manually and browse to the r2 folder. This should then overwrite to the new driver. Then install the window.bat file and that should be it.

Well it worked for me anyway.

Thank-you i have been trying to do this for some time.This worked a treat. cheers

Guest anderchan

hi everyone, im able to install kitchen roms fine, but i cant install the update from the myadventvega.co.uk website

it says USB device not detected or something, i wanted to install that first because it provides a full wipe correct? then i can do the r5 flash over that.

can anyone help?

Guest rvdgeer
hi everyone, im able to install kitchen roms fine, but i cant install the update from the myadventvega.co.uk website

it says USB device not detected or something, i wanted to install that first because it provides a full wipe correct? then i can do the r5 flash over that.

can anyone help?

Did you follow the full update instructions?

Guest mark astill

Solved it

its the way microsft handles usb devices.

Extract Pauls USB driver

Install the usb driver by clicking on the usb connected icon in the system tray with the device connected.

The installation will install more than one android device

Then Run CMD

Cd to directory you downloaded his update to

Run install-windows.bat

Volia.

Any questions ask me.

Have to have tea now!

Hi uncle Bob,

Thanks for your post. I found it very helpful, but unfotunatley I gave not been able to get it working. I have other issues with getting the standard USB drivers update from my advent Vega which won't instal & other dowloads seems to disappear from the downloads menu, but that's another issue !

Anyway If I can detail the issues I'm having, then hopefully you can point me in the right direction, as I think I'm very close. I have managed to locate the files in device manager under USB controllers and when I loaded the Paul's drivers as you suggested, it is now showing as a Nvidia android composite device.

When I try to type the command instructions (due to my serious lack of understanding re synytax etc...) I get these mesages :

C:users\gale\cd advent... I get the message : the system cannot find the path specified.

I then typed in C:users\gale\advent\171210-0546-r5-vega-modacocustomromaddon-signed-MD5-471c403eef031f3fb40eb85b6b9fd7fc

and got the same 'is not a recognised command........

I then typed in instal.windosw.bat ..... got the message ' instal is not a recognised..........

Apologies for my lack of knowledge.

I have paid my subscription and have been trying this for over a week without success. I've been tempted to send back to PC World, as in the current state (triple letter issue, pictures keep crashing, dowloads won't work etc..... I think I'm very close to returning the device (or sell on e-bay for a profit !)

Please Please Please help me :)

Regards

Mark

Guest rvdgeer

Hi uncle Bob,

Thanks for your post. I found it very helpful, but unfotunatley I gave not been able to get it working. I have other issues with getting the standard USB drivers update from my advent Vega which won't instal & other dowloads seems to disappear from the downloads menu, but that's another issue !

Anyway If I can detail the issues I'm having, then hopefully you can point me in the right direction, as I think I'm very close. I have managed to locate the files in device manager under USB controllers and when I loaded the Paul's drivers as you suggested, it is now showing as a Nvidia android composite device.

When I try to type the command instructions (due to my serious lack of understanding re synytax etc...) I get these mesages :

C:users\gale\cd advent... I get the message : the system cannot find the path specified.

I then typed in C:users\gale\advent\171210-0546-r5-vega-modacocustomromaddon-signed-MD5-471c403eef031f3fb40eb85b6b9fd7fc

I then typed in instal.windosw.bat ..... got the message ' instal is not a recognised..........

I have paid my subscription and have been trying this for over a week without success. I've been tempted to send back to PC World, as in the current state (triple letter issue, pictures keep crashing, dowloads won't work etc..... I think I'm very close to returning the device (or sell on e-bay for a profit !)

Regards

Mark

Mark, there's a LOT of typo's and mistakes in your post...

That's no problem, but please make sure you didn't make these typo's and mistakes on the command line...

Edited by rvdgeer

Guest sephwhy

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark

You need to find where you have extracted Paul's files. In windows explorer find the directory that contains Paul's install-windows.bat file. In the address bar at the top you will find its location, i.e. C:\users\gale\advent\171210-0546-r5-vega

Then go to the command prompt by selecting 'Run...' from the Start Menu and typing: CMD

On the command line type: CD\

Then type: CD C:\users\gale\advent\171210-0546-r5-vega

(or whatever the location was you found above - a little tip here is that once you are halfway through typing it out you can press TAB to auto finish)

The command prompt should then say: C:\users\gale\advent\171210-0546-r5-vega>

To which you type: install-windows.bat

And all will be happy in life (or not)

Sorry if this sounds condescending in any way but is it not meant to. I just wanted to explain as simply as i could.

Guest mark astill
Hi uncle Bob,

Regards

Mark

Mark, there's a LOT of typo's and mistakes in your post...

That's no problem, but please make sure you didn't make these typo's and mistakes on the command line...

Apologies for the typo's and mistakes, my partner was hassling me for the computer and I forgot to read through & edit.

Mark,

The typos are all on the commands you were typing. You get one character wrong and it won't work. For example instal.windows.bat won't work because it HAS to be install-windows.bat

You also have to be in the correct directory (with install-windows.bat in) for it to work.

Guest mark astill
Hi Mark

You need to find where you have extracted Paul's files. In windows explorer find the directory that contains Paul's install-windows.bat file. In the address bar at the top you will find its location, i.e. C:\users\gale\advent\171210-0546-r5-vega

Then go to the command prompt by selecting 'Run...' from the Start Menu and typing: CMD

On the command line type: CD\

Then type: CD C:\users\gale\advent\171210-0546-r5-vega

(or whatever the location was you found above - a little tip here is that once you are halfway through typing it out you can press TAB to auto finish)

The command prompt should then say: C:\users\gale\advent\171210-0546-r5-vega>

To which you type: install-windows.bat

And all will be happy in life (or not)

Sorry if this sounds condescending in any way but is it not meant to. I just wanted to explain as simply as i could.

Thanks Sephwhy, not condescending at all : I'll try later and let you know how I get on. I have been a little frustrated by some niggling problems with the Vega and lack of official support from dsg, but will no doubt resolve with the kind assistance of this website. Cheers m8 Mark

Guest mark astill
Mark,

The typos are all on the commands you were typing. You get one character wrong and it won't work. For example instal.windows.bat won't work because it HAS to be install-windows.bat

You also have to be in the correct directory (with install-windows.bat in) for it to work.

Thanks arad85, point noted I'll be careful to use the correct terms ps only kidding re e-bay. Love the vega but lkg fwd to 'smooth running' & end to frustrations. Happy days :) help is much appreciated thanks to all

Guest warriorscot

@Mark

If you are new to using the command line there are two easy tips that save a lot of hassle.

1. If you want to get to a specific folder but are struggling to change the directory to get there just go into your C:\Windows\System32 folder in an explorer window then find the cmd.exe program then copy it and place a copy into the folder you want to reach. Then whenever you double-click and open that copy of cmd.exe it will open inside the directory it was placed in so no need to change directories.

2. Make use of the auto-complete option in a lot of instances you can just hit tab and the command line will either auto complete what you were typing or cycle through options till you find the one you want. So for example if you type "install" then hit tab it will auto complete the first file that contains the phrase "install" if you hit tab again it will go to the next one and so on and so forth until you get the one you want. Saves lots of basic typo errors from happening.

Guest ssmithri2

Just found this forum... I have a viewsonic tab running a different Vega rom...

But I thought I would offer up something that I did to get my Windows 7 64 bit machine to recognize the tablet.

I installed this program... http://www.junefabrics.com/android/ ... (have used it for a long time on my Nexus One... and have never had another driver issue.

You can probably uninstall after the driver install, or buy the paid version if you own an android phone :)

Edited by ssmithri2

Guest Toxophilite
For those that offered to help:

I am running Windows XP:

I have downloaded and flashed the 1.06 on each of the 3 vegas without any probs.

I chose my apps boxes on Pauls ROM on page 1 and baked it, then placed that file onto my desktop.

I extracted the USB file from the bake, unzipped it and again placed the file on my desktop.

I turn on the Vegas de-bug, connect the USB cable to the laptop and Vega and in Device Manager, uninstall the mass usb storage device and the Nvidia Harmony devise in disks.

I then go to the top of device manager were the name of my computer is, right click and select check for hardware changes.

I am then asked to install file, which I manually select, pointing to were Pauls unzipped USB file is on my desktop.

This works as the disk then identify as a ADP but immediately windows again asked for another file.

Despite opening the baked file and clicking on windows -jnstall.bot apart from a quick flash, nothing.

So I do the same only this time chose have disk and insert by cut and pace the files link name of Pauls Baked ROM on my desktop, again nothing happens.

I feel I am not far from cracking it but am slowly losing the will to live.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Hi landofhope and glory.

Just come across this post by you.

I think that you were almost there with your procedure.

However

'I am then asked to install file, which I manually select, pointing to were Pauls unzipped USB file is on my desktop.

This works as the disk then identify as a ADP but immediately windows again asked for another file.'

Don't know if you realised that within the unzipped USB there is another zipped file containing drivers, which ALSO has to be unzipped into the same folder

I think that this is why you were being asked for another (driver) file, and it couldn't be found.

Hope this helps and that you do get Paul's mod installed OK. You won't regret it - it turns the Vega into a really special and useful tablet.

Guest I106402

Hi,

complete newbie in Android... subscribed & followed the instruction (I am on Mac OSX 10.5.8 for what it matters) but when trying to run the installer, I get the following:

sh-3.2# ls

AdbWinApi.dll META-INF files performance

AdbWinUsbApi.dll adb-linux install-linux.sh

Applications- adb-mac install-mac.sh

Development adb-windows.exe install-windows.bat

sh-3.2# ./install-mac.sh

dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022

./install-mac.sh: line 3: 632 Trace/BPT trap ./adb-mac wait-for-device

Remounting system partition

./install-mac.sh: line 5: 634 Trace/BPT trap ./adb-mac remount

./install-mac.sh: line 6: 635 Trace/BPT trap ./adb-mac install -r files/system/etc/shuttle_priv/libflashplayer_froyo_gles2_20101019_v10.1.95.18_signed.apk

./install-mac.sh: line 7: 636 Trace/BPT trap ./adb-mac shell stop

Making room for new files

./install-mac.sh: line 9: 637 Trace/BPT trap ./adb-mac shell rm -r /system/lib/hw/wlan_ar6002

./install-mac.sh: line 10: 638 Trace/BPT trap ./adb-mac shell rm -r /system/etc/Dix

./install-mac.sh: line 11: 639 Trace/BPT trap ./adb-mac shell rm /system/lib/nvddk_2d_test_sanity.so

Copying new files

./install-mac.sh: line 13: 640 Trace/BPT trap ./adb-mac push files /

Installing performance pack

./install-mac.sh: line 15: 641 Trace/BPT trap ./adb-mac shell cp /system/app/Maps.apk /data/app

./install-mac.sh: line 16: 642 Trace/BPT trap ./adb-mac shell rm /system/app/Maps.apk

./install-mac.sh: line 17: 643 Trace/BPT trap ./adb-mac push performance /

Setting permissions

./install-mac.sh: line 19: 644 Trace/BPT trap ./adb-mac shell chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su

./install-mac.sh: line 20: 645 Trace/BPT trap ./adb-mac shell busybox --install -s /system/xbin

Done, rebooting

./install-mac.sh: line 22: 646 Trace/BPT trap ./adb-mac reboot

sh-3.2#

any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

J

Guest tech_fox

Oh what fun!!!!

USB drivers- grrrrrrrrr!!!

I am trying to install the prebake MODACO custom ROM (to evaluate before deciding to keep Vega and go for full r5 ROM).

I have Windows 7 32 bit Professional. I have fully unzipped (double unzip) the USB drivers and tried to install them. Initially I got the message that the installed drivers were up to date. I have now moved past that and using the "have disk" option but I now get the message " The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for 32 bit systems."

I am pretty sure it is unpacked properly and I have unpacked it to two different locations with the same effect. I am sure I am pointing at it correctly as when you open the USB folder it identifies the filename as "android_winusb.inf". The device I am trying to install the driver for, appears under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" as "Unknown Device".

I have tried all the suggestions in this forum but still stuck. And I thought I was very experienced with computers!

What am I doing wrong. Suggestions please.

Guest deadite66
I have tried all the suggestions in this forum but still stuck. And I thought I was very experienced with computers!

same here with Win x64, gave up and went the linux way.

Guest Toxophilite
Oh what fun!!!!

USB drivers- grrrrrrrrr!!!

I am trying to install the prebake MODACO custom ROM (to evaluate before deciding to keep Vega and go for full r5 ROM).

I have Windows 7 32 bit Professional. I have fully unzipped (double unzip) the USB drivers and tried to install them. Initially I got the message that the installed drivers were up to date. I have now moved past that and using the "have disk" option but I now get the message " The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for 32 bit systems."

I am pretty sure it is unpacked properly and I have unpacked it to two different locations with the same effect. I am sure I am pointing at it correctly as when you open the USB folder it identifies the filename as "android_winusb.inf". The device I am trying to install the driver for, appears under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" as "Unknown Device".

Hi tech_fox

I have installed the Modaco ROM on a Vista machine and also on a Windows 7 32 bit machine.

First of all I performed the (double unzip) of the main zip file which I downloaded from Modaco.

All the unzipped files were put into a folder (called 'extractedfiles') on my desktop.

I then copied this folder into the root folder of the C: drive (for easy access from the Command Prompt - see later)

The contents of this folder are shown below.

post-802797-1292708765_thumb.jpg

I first set the VEGA to USB debugging mode.

Then when the Vega USB connection was made to the PC, the following new items appeared in the Windows Device Manager:

Under Disk Drives:

NVIDIA Tegra2 USB Device

Under Other Devices:

NVIDIA Harmony

Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers:

USB Composite Device

USB Composite Device

USB Mass Storage Device

The NVIDIA Harmony device was flagged with a ! showing that it did not have the right driver.

Right-clicking on this device gave the option to update the driver.

Then browse to the extractedfiles folder on the desktop, and the driver should be found.

The 'Windows can't verify the publisher' screen can be ignored, and the driver installed anyway.

After the driver is installed, the Device Manager screen can be refreshed if required.

( Done by right-clicking on the top level 'Computer' entry in Device Manager, then clicking 'Scan for hardware changes')

The NVIDIA Harmony device should disappear, and 2 new entries should appear:

Android Phone

Android Composite ADB Interface

Then in Windows 7 go into Accessories - Command Prompt.

Type in:

cd c:\extractedfiles then press ENTER (this gets you pointed to the correct folder) - Note there is a space between the cd and c

install-windows.bat then press ENTER

to copy all relevant Modaco ROM modifications to the Vega.

Hopefully all will go well.

BTW before doing all this, you perhaps should uninstall the 'Unknown Device' in Device Manager ( By right-clicking and selecting 'Uninstall')

Hope this helps.

Edited by Toxophilite

Guest robg8805

Hi everyone, complete newbie just spent hours and hours trying to get Paul's bake to work and yes it is awesome so thank you!

I have a problem though - on my laptop running vista home basic i couldn't remove the original (myadventvega.co.uk) usb driver in device driver which meant i couldn't add the bake. I had to use my wifes little netbook running windows 7 in order to install the proper driver and then transfer the bake. I'm sure that makes sense to someone! If/when there's an update and i need to connect again I would like to do it on my laptop so does anyone know how to completely remove the existing driver - i have tried everything i can think of but every time it re finds the driver and doesn't let me change it. I'm probably being a complete tool but if anyone can help i'd appreciate it - Thank you! :)

Guest griff_dai
Hi tech_fox

I have installed the Modaco ROM on a Vista machine and also on a Windows 7 32 bit machine.

First of all I performed the (double unzip) of the main zip file which I downloaded from Modaco.

All the unzipped files were put into a folder (called 'extractedfiles') on my desktop.

I then copied this folder into the root folder of the C: drive (for easy access from the Command Prompt - see later)

The contents of this folder are shown below.

post-802797-1292708765_thumb.jpg

When the Vega USB connection was made (having set the Vega to USB debugging mode first),

the following new items appeared in the Windows Device Manager:

Under Disk Drives:

NVIDIA Tegra2 USB Device

Under Other Devices:

NVIDIA Harmony

Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers:

USB Composite Device

USB Composite Device

USB Mass Storage Device

The NVIDIA Harmony device was flagged with a ! showing that it did not have the right driver.

Right-clicking on this device gave the option to update the driver.

Then browse to the extractedfiles folder on the desktop, and the driver should be found.

The 'Windows can't verify the publisher' screen can be ignored, and the driver installed anyway.

After the driver is installed, the Device Manager screen can be refreshed if required.

( Done by right-clicking on the top level 'Computer' entry in Device Manager, then clicking 'Scan for hardware changes')

The NVIDIA Harmony device should disappear, and 2 new entries should appear:

Android Phone

Android Composite ADB Interface

Then in Windows 7 go into Accessories - Command Prompt.

Enter the command

C:\extractedfiles\install-windows.bat

to copy all relevant Modaco ROM modifications to the Vega.

Hopefully all will go well.

BTW before doing all this, you perhaps should uninstall the 'Unknown Device' in Device Manager ( By right-clicking and selecting 'Uninstall')

Hope this helps.

Ok, is this the same process for win 7 64 bit??

Guest Toxophilite
Ok, is this the same process for win 7 64 bit??

Yes, should be.

Also - see correction to Command Prompt entry for Windows 7:

Type in:

cd c:\extractedfiles then press ENTER (this gets you pointed to the correct folder) - Note there is a space between cd and c

install-windows.bat then press ENTER

Edited by Toxophilite

Guest jasonic8

Just a quick note for windows 7 (and Vista) users - you can hold down the shift key and right click on the directory to get an option to "Open Command Window Here" - so it then doesn't matter where you have the files. (Also available as the cmdhere.exe 'Power Toy' for earlier windows versions)

Edited by jasonic8