MoDaCo Custom r6 discussion archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest rvdgeer
Total newbie here. Apologies for my ignorance. I've just got a Vega come through the door. I turned it on, had a little play, and then decided i needed to 'fix' it with Paul's magic. Now i joined adfree, went to the kitchen, baked my rom, extracted it to a folder. Made sure i'm in USB debugging mode, connected the device to the laptop. I'm getting a message that Nvidia Harmony driver can't install. but i tried to continue anyway, going to cmd and punching in the command to install. Am i missing something in my process, because i don't seem to be getting anywhere with it. I'm running Vista 32 bit OS and the Vega is 1.08.

Help?!? ;)

Apologizing for "your ignorance" is no substitute for reading up a little... ;)

There's about a dozen step by step guides, including some n00b proof video tutorials...

They will tell you what step you missed...u

Total newbie here. Apologies for my ignorance. I've just got a Vega come through the door. I turned it on, had a little play, and then decided i needed to 'fix' it with Paul's magic. Now i joined adfree, went to the kitchen, baked my rom, extracted it to a folder. Made sure i'm in USB debugging mode, connected the device to the laptop. I'm getting a message that Nvidia Harmony driver can't install. but i tried to continue anyway, going to cmd and punching in the command to install. Am i missing something in my process, because i don't seem to be getting anywhere with it. I'm running Vista 32 bit OS and the Vega is 1.08.

Help?!? ;)

Everything you need is here

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...guides-how-tos/

Hey rvdgeer,maybe you could post an actual link instead of the attitude to new people asking a question. This is new for alot of people and may turn people off which would be a shame espeicially after going adfree.

Maybe if Percy25 post was made a sticky you'd have less people to tell to read or search ;)

Guest rvdgeer
Everything you need is here

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...guides-how-tos/

Hey rvdgeer,maybe you could post an actual link instead of the attitude to new people asking a question. This is new for alot of people and may turn people off which would be a shame espeicially after going adfree.

Maybe if Percy25 post was made a sticky you'd have less people to tell to read or search ;)

Attitude?

I guess you've missread my wink.. ;)

And you didn't find the link in my signature... :D

And you missed that I've created a step by step guide myself...

edit: ehr...

Where's my signature?

edit2: is it back now?

Edited by rvdgeer

Guest rvdgeer
Attitude?

I guess you've missread my wink.. ;)

And you didn't find the link in my signature... ;)

And you missed that I've created a step by step guide myself...

edit: ehr...

Where's my signature?

edit2: is it back now?

Sorry, to double post...

Am trying to figure out how I get my sig back in...

Sorry, to double post...

Am trying to figure out how I get my sig back in...

No signature yet.

I've used your guide(actually it was from your signature I clicked on it) and found it helpful but posting to tell new people to read/search takes as long as posting the link! Its just a thought! Its hard to know what your looking for,find stuff here or get stuck in if your new but creating percys post into a sticky might help. This thread is 53 pages long now. Its a fair trawl for info when your not sure what your looking for

Guest rvdgeer
No signature yet.

I've used your guide(actually it was from your signature I clicked on it) and found it helpful but posting to tell new people to read/search takes as long as posting the link! Its just a thought! Its hard to know what your looking for,find stuff here or get stuck in if your new but creating percys post into a sticky might help. This thread is 53 pages long now. Its a fair trawl for info when your not sure what your looking for

I guess you're right, but I'm posting from my Vega (mobii) and looking up the correct thread is a little more work than on a pc...

And I've learned the best way to help people is not by getting them what they're asking for, but by helping them to get what they need themselves...

So by telling people to read before they post and to do a search before they repeat an allready answered question, I'm actually trying to help...

If it's taken the wrong way, maybe I should try a different approach...

Sorry for being off topic here...

Will try to get back on topic from here on...

Edited by rvdgeer

Guest tjz1100

;)

I've noticed this place go from expert to enthusiast in about a wkk. Ever since the Vega came back in bulk in fact. so maybe we all need to take a deep breath, loosen our sphincters and be as understanding as we can to each other. We probably all need to remember that not everyone is capable of understanding technical subjects first time, and especially if they are in an environment we're not familiar with. I know what I'm doing most of the time but I've found some of the replies to me bordering on condescention.

As the Vega userbase grows there will be more people who don't know Android/Linux from a hole in the ground, but still want to get the most from their devices. Patience will be in short supply.

Let's be nice to each other.

Trying to install the MCR addon under 1.08 on a new tablet I get the following under linux

failed to copy 'files/system/etc/shuttle_priv/libflashplayer_froyo_gles2_20101206_v10.1.120.1_signed.apk' to '/system/etc/shuttle_priv/libflashplayer_froyo_gles2_20101206_v10.1.120.1_signed.apk': No space left on device

Setting permissions

chmod: /system/bin/busybox: Read-only file system

chmod: /system/bin/cp: Read-only file system

chmod: /system/bin/cut: Read-only file system

Any ideas?

Cheers

Gavin

I had this issue I wasn't too fussed about the "Read-only file system" messages but the "No space left on device" was more of a concern.

in the end I re-flashed with the stock image off www.myadventvega.co.uk and tried again.

I have had my Vega for about a week now, it came with 1.08 installed after about 10mins of making sure it powered on I promptly added Pauls ROM r6 including the Performance Pack (Excellent work BTW Paul).

Over the last week I have been playing around and generally using the Vega, I have noticed and few issues and I’m not sure if these are normal or due to the r6 ROM or hardware issue?

• Angry Birds Issue - Every so often it gets stuck and hangs, sometimes I can press the “Pause” button at the top left and after a 1 minute is comes back to the menu and I can restart the level?

• Coming out sleep issue – again sometimes when the device is woke up from sleep it hangs and the only way I can use the device is to press and hold the power button for 3 seconds.

• Power off issue – when I press and hold the power button for 3 seconds if pops up a power menu, if I choose “Power Off” the device “sometimes” gets stuck on the “Shutting Down” timer.

All of these issues are intermittent and don’t happen all the time.

Thanks

Guest rvdgeer
Is it possible to replace the shortcuts at the bottom of the screen with our own choices?

You can't change those shortcuts, but if you search for a different launcher you can customize it just the way you like it.

Adw or launcherpro are 2 greatauncher.

Please try to read up a little on these and try one (or both) to see what suits you best.

Edited by rvdgeer

You can't change those shortcuts, but if you search for a different launcher you can customize it just the way you like it.

Adw or launcherpro are 2 greatauncher.

Please try to read up a little on these and try one (or both) to see what suits you best.

Ah, launcherpro is just what I wanted ;) Thanks!

Hi rvdgeer,

In your signature I see that you have 1.08 and Add-On r6 installed. Earlier I read here that there might be some issues with this combination, but since you have everything installed I assume it is save to install the add-ons with 1.08.

I got my PoV last friday and decided to install the latest ROM immediately ;) , without thinking about the consequences for the add-ons.

Guest TylerDurdenK

Bit of a strange one this.

I am updating my Vega with the new 1.08 ROM, CWM and of course this MCR Add-On.

I have tried twice to apply the add-on using CWM, and it all appears to work and certainly my "about phone" info shows that it has been applied, however, even though I have it ticked, the small notification bar is not being applied. My notification bar remains large.

What am I missing?

Guest TylerDurdenK

Just managed to get the small bar by using the other method of applying the add on.

I have a root issue now. Titanium Back-Up will not run, complaining that it is unable to get root access.

Hi,

i have a smartbook surfer360 with integrated 3G, is it safe to use this addon also, or would it somehow make my 3G useless ?

Looking at some info Googled about this device - it does look like a variant of the Vega source hardware (http://www.technoreviewz.com/smartbook-surfer-360-mn10u.htm) but the smartbook website (http://www.smartbook.de/Content/Startseite.aspx) doesn't mention this device?

Anyway - personally I would say that this would break your 3G.

Questions for you though:

Where did you purchase and for how much?

What version of software is it using (all details from Settings > About Phone: Model Number ?, Android Version?, Kernel Version ?, Build Number ?)

I suspect a few more Android savvy posters may be asking you to do a dump of the build for analysis.

Cheers

Edited by sipart

Guest Jenne2112

I hadn`t purchased the unit, it is a test unit we had gotten from smartbook directly, i still need to negotiate with them about the price, as they surely won`t get it back from me ;) .

The suggested enduser price here in germany for the unit is 499,- Euro, including 3G and the Docking station, i think the street price will be around 449,- Euro.

For the software version i need to check this evening, as i don`t have the tablet available at the moment.

If anyone can tell me how to do a dump i surely would do, if this helps.

Edited by Jenne2112

I hadn`t purchased the unit, it is a test unit we had gotten from smartbook directly, i still need to negotiate with them about the price, as they surely won`t get it back from me ;) .

The suggested enduser price here in germany for the unit is 499,- Euro, including 3G and the Docking station, i think the street price will be around 449,- Euro.

For the software version i need to check this evening, as i don`t have the tablet available at the moment.

If anyone can tell me how to do a dump i surely would do, if this helps.

I've never done an Android system and boot image - but this might help - but has some pre-requisites (i.e having terminal app and su access or adb):

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1540664

Someone with more knowledge will hopefully comment. It might be worth starting a new thread with general info on the device - lots of people are interested in having 3g on there Vegas and anything that can be found out software and hardware wise would create some interest.

Guest 67Mustang
Bit of a strange one this.

I am updating my Vega with the new 1.08 ROM, CWM and of course this MCR Add-On.

I have tried twice to apply the add-on using CWM, and it all appears to work and certainly my "about phone" info shows that it has been applied, however, even though I have it ticked, the small notification bar is not being applied. My notification bar remains large.

What am I missing?

Having had my Vega for about a week now, during which time I've read just about every post on this forum (which is extremely helpful) and paid my £10 dues, I'm now ready to start playing with the goodies available on here. Although I'm proficient with a PC/ Windows, I'm a complete newbie to Android, so just wanted to check a few things before I dive in with both feet (please be gentle with us newbies - some need more hand holding than others!):

1) I have the stock 1.08 ROM and from what I've read on here, it's best to install the ClockworkMod first and then install MCR r6 (rather than the other way around), as this seems to have less stability/ BSOD issues (I also have an old PC with Windows XP that seems to be easier/ better for updating the drivers for MCR r6 than with Windows 7)

2) I'm aware that there is also a Custom Kernel r2 available, but I'm not entirely clear what it does other than improve the battery life (BTW: a pinned topic with a general glossary of terms on things like 'kernel' would also be great for us newbies). If it makes sense to install the Custom Kernel, presumably I should do this before installing CWM and MCR r6?

3) when installing CWM and after running the command prompts, should the Vega remain connected to the PC/ does it matter while installing the Reboot Utility APK (after it has been copied to the SD card), and after the APK has been installed (presumably causing a reboot) do I need to do anything else before then installing MCR r6?

4) given that the CWM download also has the Reboot Utility APK option, should I untick the 'Recovery Reboot' option when downloading MCR r6 to avoid any potential conflicts?

Apologies for asking questions that are probably obvious to most, but having read lots of posts on these issues, the 'best' approach isn't always 100% clear and can occassionally be slightly contradictory (not a criticism - there's usually more than one way of doing things and it's an essential forum for everything Vega).

Hopefully it'll run like a charm first time (yeah, right!) and I can look forward to using my Vega to its full potential.

Cheers

Guest simonta
Having had my Vega for about a week now, during which time I've read just about every post on this forum (which is extremely helpful) and paid my £10 dues, I'm now ready to start playing with the goodies available on here. Although I'm proficient with a PC/ Windows, I'm a complete newbie to Android, so just wanted to check a few things before I dive in with both feet (please be gentle with us newbies - some need more hand holding than others!):

1) I have the stock 1.08 ROM and from what I've read on here, it's best to install the ClockworkMod first and then install MCR r6 (rather than the other way around), as this seems to have less stability/ BSOD issues (I also have an old PC with Windows XP that seems to be easier/ better for updating the drivers for MCR r6 than with Windows 7)

2) I'm aware that there is also a Custom Kernel r2 available, but I'm not entirely clear what it does other than improve the battery life (BTW: a pinned topic with a general glossary of terms on things like 'kernel' would also be great for us newbies). If it makes sense to install the Custom Kernel, presumably I should do this before installing CWM and MCR r6?

3) when installing CWM and after running the command prompts, should the Vega remain connected to the PC/ does it matter while installing the Reboot Utility APK (after it has been copied to the SD card), and after the APK has been installed (presumably causing a reboot) do I need to do anything else before then installing MCR r6?

4) given that the CWM download also has the Reboot Utility APK option, should I untick the 'Recovery Reboot' option when downloading MCR r6 to avoid any potential conflicts?

Apologies for asking questions that are probably obvious to most, but having read lots of posts on these issues, the 'best' approach isn't always 100% clear and can occassionally be slightly contradictory (not a criticism - there's usually more than one way of doing things and it's an essential forum for everything Vega).

Hopefully it'll run like a charm first time (yeah, right!) and I can look forward to using my Vega to its full potential.

Cheers

Hi 67Mustang.

1. Windows 7 is just fine. The problem stories on here are from folks who are not "tech savvy". If you're proficient, it's a doddle. In fact, I've used Windows 7 since day one without a hitch but also use XP for a dev machine, also without a hitch. The key is to understand the difference between "uninstall drivers", "uninstall and delete drivers" and how to identify a device.

In device manager, APX equals Vega recovery without the correct driver loaded (the one from Advent). The APX device is the base NVidia Harmony device. Replace it's drivers with the Advent ones. This is what you need to flash a ROM.

Devices which appear when you plug in the Vega with USB Debugging turned on but appear as anything other than Android Phone->ADB Composite Interface (or similar) should be deleted and replaced with drivers from MCR (or the Android SDK if you use that).

The ADB bridge (Android Debugging Bridge) is a clever little trick. All Android devices report the same manufacturer and device IDs when ADB debugging is turned on. That's why there is an option to turn it on and off and why you can't mount your SDCard when it's on. So with debugging on, your Vega reports only one device with only one ID which is why you should only have one device under "Android Phone" in device manager. Anything else is bad juju.

2. Operating systems are (and this is a very rough and ready description - experts, no flames please ;)) roughly split into 2 chunks. Userland, or userspace, and kernel land. Kernel land is where all of the low level stuff happens. It's main job is to take the machine from boot mode to userland; talk to the hardware; manage running applications and manage the device resources. Userland is where you do all your stuff! In Android, the kernel is stored separately to the rest of the system in it's own partition. Just like a hard disk, the Vegas ROM is partitioned. Grab the Advent stock ROM, unzip it then take a look at flash.cfg and note the *.img files. Boot.img contains the kernel. If you apply a custom kernel, you are simply replacing boot.img with a different one. Note that the USB mode swtich also replaces the kernel.

CWM is the recovery.img. The stock Advent recovery.img implements the "Software tool" for backup and restore in Settings on the Vega. You can also flash new recoveries - and separately to the kernel. To recap, flashing boot.img replaces the kernel, flashing recovery.img replaces, er, recovery! CWM is a recovery, The Vega backup tool is a recovery. To be in recovery, you must boot into it which is why there are tools to do this (Paul's recovery option) or Settings->Software Tool->Backup. It's also possible to boot into recovery with key combos on power up but this needs a custom boot loader for the Vega and no-one so far has figured it out so for now, we're stuck with rebooting from user space.

One source of confusion. The recovery mode for CWM (or the Vega software tool) is NOT the same recovery as the one you use when you are flashing ROMs. The recovery you get to with the back-power-back button pressing thing is a low level device which is permanently flashed (and what a good thing it is, makes the Vega unbrickable). You can replace CWM any time you want. You can't replace the NVidia APX (Harmony Recovery Device) nor should you go looking for ways to do it (I suspect you would need a hardware flash to do so) as it will save your patooty on at least one occassion!

So back to your question, I hope that it's clear now that you can replace kernels and CWM independently of each other. There are also different ways of doing so. I recommend starting off by replacing the images in the stock Vega ROM. Simply unzip it, drop in your recovery or boot image of choice and flash away! When you gain confidence and experience, move to ADB or clockworkmod to scratch your flashing itches.

3. Hopefully, answered above. The app simply causes a reboot into recovery. You can see this by installing CWM then running the Vega back tool. It will boot to clockwork.

4. As 3. No conflicts. The APK simply causes a reboot.

Please remember, the Vega is unbrickable. If something goes wrong, your worst case scenario is to get into recovery (the NVidia one ;)) and flash a new stock ROM. If you cannot get into recovery, you are NOT bricked so please don't start a new thread like "Please help, my Vega is bricked". Best tip I have is that when trying to get to recovery if you see the backlight come on, it's too late. You will see precisely nothing on the Vega, including no backlight, when in recovery.

Finally, I used to have BSODs then by chance found that stock->cwm->mcr rather than stock->mcr->cwm works fine. Been happily clockworking for some time now.

Hope this all helps rather than hinders.

Cheers

Edited by simonta

Guest 67Mustang
Hi 67Mustang.

1. Windows 7 is just fine. The problem stories on here are from folks who are not "tech savvy". If you're proficient, it's a doddle. In fact, I've used Windows 7 since day one without a hitch but also use XP for a dev machine, also without a hitch. The key is to understand the difference between "uninstall drivers", "uninstall and delete drivers" and how to identify a device.

In device manager, APX equals Vega recovery without the correct driver loaded (the one from Advent). The APX device is the base NVidia Harmony device. Replace it's drivers with the Advent ones. This is what you need to flash a ROM.

Devices which appear when you plug in the Vega with USB Debugging turned on but appear as anything other than Android Phone->ADB Composite Interface (or similar) should be deleted and replaced with drivers from MCR (or the Android SDK if you use that).

The ADB bridge (Android Debugging Bridge) is a clever little trick. All Android devices report the same manufacturer and device IDs when ADB debugging is turned on. That's why there is an option to turn it on and off and why you can't mount your SDCard when it's on. So with debugging on, your Vega reports only one device with only one ID which is why you should only have one device under "Android Phone" in device manager. Anything else is bad juju.

2. Operating systems are (and this is a very rough and ready description - experts, no flames please ;)) roughly split into 2 chunks. Userland, or userspace, and kernel land. Kernel land is where all of the low level stuff happens. It's main job is to take the machine from boot mode to userland; talk to the hardware; manage running applications and manage the device resources. Userland is where you do all your stuff! In Android, the kernel is stored separately to the rest of the system in it's own partition. Just like a hard disk, the Vegas ROM is partitioned. Grab the Advent stock ROM, unzip it then take a look at flash.cfg and note the *.img files. Boot.img contains the kernel. If you apply a custom kernel, you are simply replacing boot.img with a different one. Note that the USB mode swtich also replaces the kernel.

CWM is the recovery.img. The stock Advent recovery.img implements the "Software tool" for backup and restore in Settings on the Vega. You can also flash new recoveries - and separately to the kernel. To recap, flashing boot.img replaces the kernel, flashing recovery.img replaces, er, recovery! CWM is a recovery, The Vega backup tool is a recovery. To be in recovery, you must boot into it which is why there are tools to do this (Paul's recovery option) or Settings->Software Tool->Backup. It's also possible to boot into recovery with key combos on power up but this needs a custom boot loader for the Vega and no-one so far has figured it out so for now, we're stuck with rebooting from user space.

One source of confusion. The recovery mode for CWM (or the Vega software tool) is NOT the same recovery as the one you use when you are flashing ROMs. The recovery you get to with the back-power-back button pressing thing is a low level device which is permanently flashed (and what a good thing it is, makes the Vega unbrickable). You can replace CWM any time you want. You can't replace the NVidia APX (Harmony Recovery Device) nor should you go looking for ways to do it (I suspect you would need a hardware flash to do so) as it will save your patooty on at least one occassion!

So back to your question, I hope that it's clear now that you can replace kernels and CWM independently of each other. There are also different ways of doing so. I recommend starting off by replacing the images in the stock Vega ROM. Simply unzip it, drop in your recovery or boot image of choice and flash away! When you gain confidence and experience, move to ADB or clockworkmod to scratch your flashing itches.

3. Hopefully, answered above. The app simply causes a reboot into recovery. You can see this by installing CWM then running the Vega back tool. It will boot to clockwork.

4. As 3. No conflicts. The APK simply causes a reboot.

Please remember, the Vega is unbrickable. If something goes wrong, your worst case scenario is to get into recovery (the NVidia one ;)) and flash a new stock ROM. If you cannot get into recovery, you are NOT bricked so please don't start a new thread like "Please help, my Vega is bricked". Best tip I have is that when trying to get to recovery if you see the backlight come on, it's too late. You will see precisely nothing on the Vega, including no backlight, when in recovery.

Finally, I used to have BSODs then by chance found that stock->cwm->mcr rather than stock->mcr->cwm works fine. Been happily clockworking for some time now.

Hope this all helps rather than hinders.

Cheers

Thanks simonta - that does make things a lot clearer and the more I read on this forum, the more I learn (I really do read the posts and use the search function, but that doesn't always find the answers!).

Now that MCR r7 has been released and can be installed with CWM, I obviously need to get CWM on my Vega first. This is where I get confused again (easily done!) - given that I need to have abd on my PC to allow me to install CWM, how do I do this without having MCR r7 installed in the first place. Do I install the MCR r7 zip files first on my PC, then make sure that the USB drivers/ adb is working properly and then install CWM using the command prompts?

Presumably I would then copy the entire MCR r7 zip file to the SD card, reboot to recovery and then install it with CWM, as per Paul's instructions?

I assume you only need to reboot to recovery/ CWM (presumably booting the Vega as normal and then using the reboot APK to boot to CWM) if you want to either install a new ROM or create a nandroid back up, otherwise you just boot the Vega as normal (i.e. just switch it on).

Apologies again for the dumb newbie questions, but I'd prefer to try and do this right first time rather than go through the hassles/ multiple reinstalling that a lot of other people appear to have experienced (no guarantee that this won't happen to me too, but hopefully I'll at least minimise the risks by doing things properly and in the correct order).

I'm determined to have a go at doing this later today, so thanks again in advance for your help.

Guest simonta
I need to have abd on my PC to allow me to install CWM, how do I do this without having MCR r7 installed in the first place

You don't ;)

ADB will work with whatever build you have on the Vega just by going to Settings->Applications->Development and select "USB Debugging". This flips the Vega into the "universal generic debug bridge" mode where all Android devices report themselves as being an Android Phone->ADB Composite Debug Interface (this last bit might differ in the name slightly according to where you got the ADB drivers from). So just flip the Vega into USB debugging, make sure that the drivers are loaded (use the ones from mcr6, I've not played with mcr7 yet, not sure if it contains the ADB drivers) and flash away.

In other words, the only pre-requisite for loaded clockworkmod is to have ADB up and running.

To test if ADB is OK, use adb-windows.exe, again from mcr6, and run "adb-windows devices" from a command prompt. You should see the Vega device listed.

Good luck.

PS. adb-windows.exe is just a renamed adb.exe from the Android SDK. If you have the SDK, use the drivers it provides and adb.exe in the Tools directory.

Edited by simonta

Thats a cool Add-On.

My PoV Mobii was running much smoother with it.

Till i tried to switch to USB-Host mode. Now im stuck at "starting fastboot usb download protocol".

Seems like i lost all my data. ;)