Problems with ADB after official 1.04 update?

Guest 5c00ter

Guest Mattbisme123
Well done mate, works for Windows 7 x64 too!

not working on windows 7 x64 for me, dont get prompted to choose drives and auto installs the windows ones.

help.

Thanks

matt

Guest trevor432990
Right I've managed to fix my problem. I think a generic usb mass storage driver must have installed itself on my system which clearly wasn't right. Not sure if this is the same that other people are experiencing.

Symptom : WinXP SP3 : when vega is connected, even with usb debugging enabled, it is only recognised by XP as a mass storage controller i.e. no Android phone section in device manager.

Fix :

1. Unzip the drivers that are included in Paul's mod pack e.g. in r3 pack there is a zip file called r1-tegrausbdrivers-modaco.zip in the usbdrivers directory. Unzip that file and remember the path to it.

2. Connect the Vega to your machine and enable USB debugging mode on the Vega.

3. On the XP machine go to device manager and uninstall (select, right click, select "Uninstall") the following devices :

- Disk Drives : Nvidia Tegra 2 USB Device

- Universal Serial Bus Controllers : USB Mass Storage Device

4. Then go right to the top of device manager and select the icon that represents your XP machine, this will have the computer name of your machine. Right click on it and select "Scan for hardware changes".

5. This will now redetect the Vega and allow you to install new drivers. When it prompts you to do this ensure you do not let it automatically detect them, instead make sure you point to the directory you have unzipped pauls drivers as in step 1 above.

6. Once the driver is installed you will now have the following in device manager :

- Android Phone : Android Composite ADB Device

- Universal Serial Bus Controllers : USB Composite Device

You can then install Paul's mod.

Cheers

Rob

Forgot to say thanks for this post Rob it helped me resolve my problem too ;)

Guest oldrichie

Hi - just got my (well wifes xmas pressy) Vega today, popped 1.04 on it on my computer, (vista 64) then could not find the drivers etc described in this post to replace, plugged the vega into kids xmas pressy (win 7 pro 64) it auto loaded all the drivers except the 'Harmony' one, so installed that one driver as described here, popped on Pauls ROM and worked just fine - love the Vega, want one for me now....

Guest James Muscat

I've been having the same trouble here (running Linux) - the USB device shows up but adb-linux doesn't see anything...

Bus 001 Device 011: ID 0955:7100 NVidia Corp. 

Device Descriptor:

bLength				18

bDescriptorType		 1

bcdUSB			   2.00

bDeviceClass			0 (Defined at Interface level)

bDeviceSubClass		 0 

bDeviceProtocol		 0 

bMaxPacketSize0		64

idVendor		   0x0955 NVidia Corp.

idProduct		  0x7100 

bcdDevice		   99.99

iManufacturer		   1 NVIDIA

iProduct				2 NVIDIA Harmony

iSerial				 3 1714118743616557

bNumConfigurations	  1

Configuration Descriptor:

bLength				 9

bDescriptorType		 2

wTotalLength		   55

bNumInterfaces		  2

bConfigurationValue	 1

iConfiguration		  0 

bmAttributes		 0xc0

Self Powered

MaxPower			  500mA

Interface Descriptor:

bLength				 9

bDescriptorType		 4

bInterfaceNumber		0

bAlternateSetting	   0

bNumEndpoints		   2

bInterfaceClass		 8 Mass Storage

bInterfaceSubClass	  6 SCSI

bInterfaceProtocol	 80 Bulk (Zip)

iInterface			  0 

Endpoint Descriptor:

bLength				 7

bDescriptorType		 5

bEndpointAddress	 0x81  EP 1 IN

bmAttributes			2

Transfer Type			Bulk

Synch Type			   None

Usage Type			   Data

wMaxPacketSize	 0x0200  1x 512 bytes

bInterval			   0

Endpoint Descriptor:

bLength				 7

bDescriptorType		 5

bEndpointAddress	 0x01  EP 1 OUT

bmAttributes			2

Transfer Type			Bulk

Synch Type			   None

Usage Type			   Data

bInterval			   1

Interface Descriptor:

bLength				 9

bDescriptorType		 4

bInterfaceNumber		1

bAlternateSetting	   0

bNumEndpoints		   2

bInterfaceClass	   255 Vendor Specific Class

bInterfaceSubClass	 66 

bInterfaceProtocol	  1 

iInterface			  0 

Endpoint Descriptor:

bLength				 7

bDescriptorType		 5

bEndpointAddress	 0x82  EP 2 IN

bmAttributes			2

Transfer Type			Bulk

Synch Type			   None

Usage Type			   Data

bInterval			   0

Endpoint Descriptor:

bLength				 7

bDescriptorType		 5

bEndpointAddress	 0x02  EP 2 OUT

bmAttributes			2

Transfer Type			Bulk

Synch Type			   None

Usage Type			   Data

bInterval			   0

Device Qualifier (for other device speed):

bLength				10

bDescriptorType		 6

bcdUSB			   2.00

bDeviceClass			0 (Defined at Interface level)

bDeviceSubClass		 0 

bDeviceProtocol		 0 

bMaxPacketSize0		64

bNumConfigurations	  1

Device Status:	 0x0001

Self Powered
$ sudo ./adb-linux devices

List of devices attached 

????????????	no permissions

Did anyone get this working under Linux?

Edit: Just a thought, could this be a USB modeswitching issue (similar to 3G dongles that double as a mass storage device)?

Edited by James Muscat

Guest princeotter
Right I've managed to fix my problem. I think a generic usb mass storage driver must have installed itself on my system which clearly wasn't right. Not sure if this is the same that other people are experiencing.

Symptom : WinXP SP3 : when vega is connected, even with usb debugging enabled, it is only recognised by XP as a mass storage controller i.e. no Android phone section in device manager.

Fix :

1. Unzip the drivers that are included in Paul's mod pack e.g. in r3 pack there is a zip file called r1-tegrausbdrivers-modaco.zip in the usbdrivers directory. Unzip that file and remember the path to it.

3. On the XP machine go to device manager and uninstall (select, right click, select "Uninstall") the following devices :

4. Then go right to the top of device manager and select the icon that represents your XP machine, this will have the computer name of your machine. Right click on it and select "Scan for hardware changes".

5. This will now redetect the Vega and allow you to install new drivers. When it prompts you to do this ensure you do not let it automatically detect them, instead make sure you point to the directory you have unzipped pauls drivers as in step 1 above.

6. Once the driver is installed you will now have the following in device manager :

Cheers

Rob

This should be a sticky somewhere obvious as it seems the best solution - having wasted a couple of hours trying various machines etc etc. Thanks you are a saviour

Guest James Muscat

OK, so I tried again on a different computer when I got home... 32-bit Fedora 10 at work didn't let me use adb at all but 64-but Ubuntu worked just fine. *shrug*

Paul - awesome work and well worth getting a paid account for the performance pack!

Guest Ras.mobiel

Fix :

Cheers

Rob

Man you are my HERO :-)

Edited by Ras.mobiel

Guest tdeadvent

Thanks,

just found this. I was only uninstalling the disk drives driver and it kept reinstalling by itself.

:)

I give up - I've been trying to install rom update all night (I am new to tablets, but not to pc's) and I just can't get it to work - when doing this it re-detects the drivers with the expection of the ADSB one

HELP.....

[/quote

Guest welshblob
Man you are my HERO :-)

Just checked back into this thread and glad my fix has helped people, maybe it should be a sticky somewhere.

Btw cwmdu86, my brother lives in cwmdu, small world eh!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest philweb

I'm having the same problem my Sony vaio will not let me tern off auto driver installs and just keeps adding it back on as mass storage i have been fight ing with it for the last 4 hours and I'm just at a loss

Guest gitf@ce
I'm having the same problem my Sony vaio will not let me tern off auto driver installs and just keeps adding it back on as mass storage i have been fight ing with it for the last 4 hours and I'm just at a loss

Forget looking at the USB controllers and concentrate on the two entries you should have relating to Tegra/Nvidia somewhere in device manager (I can't check what they are called because they are not there anymore). The one closest to the top change the driver for the one in the baked rom, and it will change to Android phone something or other... that should then work ok (did for me).

Guest simonta

Something else for y'all to try:

One problem with scanning for changes, as some have seen, is that if Windows has installed a driver, you uninstall it and then rescan, Windows will helpfully reload the driver for you - "oh, I know where the driver is for this device - let me put it back for you". Cool when you just want a peripheral to work, not so cool when you're trying to ADB.

This is for Windows 7, sorry, don't have access to an XP machine at the moment but you should be able to figure out the same trick or perhaps some kind soul will verify on XP and post any different or additional steps?

1. Open device manager.

2. MAKE SURE THAT USB DEBUGGING IS SELECTED ON YOUR VEGA. (Settings->Applications->Development). Attach the Vega to your PC.

3. Watch for which devices load up - the tree will refresh

4. If you have a class of devices called "Android Phone" appear (the class of devices is the list of names you see at the highest level of the tree) with something like "Android Composite ADB interface" or "Android Debugging Interface" then you're done. Grab a beer and another slice of Xmas cake (sheesh, I put half a stone on last few weeks) and enjoy installing Paul's pack. PS. Beer is very important when dabbling with the dark forces. I find Theakstons Old Peculiar works best.

5. If you DON'T get a device call "Nvidia Harmony" under "Other Devices" with a yellow exclamation mark then go to step 8.

6. Right click NVidia Harmony and select "Update driver software".

7. Select "Browse my computer for driver software". Goto step 19.

8. If you get another device appear, like "USB Composite Interface" or a device with a yellow exclamation mark meaning something ain't working then...

9. Right click the driver and select the Details tab. In the drop down list, select Hardware IDs. Confirm that they start with USB\VID_0955&PID_7100

10. If this is the correct ID, you've found the device for the Vega. If not, then please post back which device Windows thinks it is.

11. Click the Driver tab then click Uninstall. Select the "Delete the driver software for this device" checkbox. This will uninstall the driver and cause Windows to forget that it ever existed.

12. Do NOT reboot or scan for changes.

13. Right click your computer, the very first node in the tree, and select "Add legacy hardware".

14. Click Next, select "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list". Click Next.

15. Make sure that "Show all devices" is highlighted and click Next.

16. Click "Have Disk". Browse to the folder with the USB driver in Pauls' pack.

17. Select the INF and click OK.

18. Select "Android Composite ADB Interface" from the list and click Next. Click Next.

19. Ignore the warning and select "Install the driver software for this hardware anyway". Click Finish.

You're finished. Disconnect your Vega and reboot your PC. Reconnect your Vega with USB Debugging turned on and confirm that the ADB interface driver loads and does not have a yellow exclamation mark.

What you've done is effectively make Windows forget that it knows how to install a driver for the Vega and tell it to use a driver of your choosing. This driver should now load everytime unless you uninstall it or try to update it. Just leave it alone once it's working.

This procedure is only required once. Unless the install instructions tell you otherwise, never touch this driver again. It will load everytime you select USB Debugging. You do NOT need to do this for each mcr update.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Edited by simonta