Re-installing / enabling Flash on the Vega

Guest PaulOBrien

Just to answer my own post, I downloaded flash from here http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...r-for-the-vega/ onto my laptop and copied it into dropbox. Opened Dropbox on the Vega and installed the .apk magic now have Flash again.

Have had a couple of FC and reboots trying to demo a very flash heavy site in normal browser.

I have firefox on now so will try that.

I hope I have the correct version of flash. its libflashplayer_froyo_gles2_20101028_v10.1.95.22_signed.apk ?

will try iplayer and report back if any problems.

Steve

I found that after loading 'R8' the Flash from Android Market worked OK

Guest stimoUK

I haven't got shuttle_priv folder in system/etc so iv'e downladed the flash apk onto my computer but im not sure what the cmd is to push it to the correct file/folder on my vega any help please.

It's already on the device. Open a command window. With USB debugging enabled and connected to the PC, and being in the directory that you have install-windows.bat, do:

adb-windows.exe shell pm install -r /system/etc/shuttle_priv/libflashplayer_froyo_gles2_20101019_v10.1.95.18_signed.apk

That will get flash working again...

Hi, I too don't have the /system/etc/shuttle_priv directory on the device so I tried to re-copy across but I get the message:

F:\V1>adb-windows.exe shell pm install -r /system/etc/shuttle_priv/libflashplayer_froyo_gles2_20101019_v10.1.95.18_signed.apk

pkg: /system/etc/shuttle_priv/libflashplayer_froyo_gles2_20101019_v10.1.

95.18_signed.apk

Failure [iNSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE]

Can someone Help? I reinstalled the latest rom but it made no difference when I tried again.... And I have plenty of space on the device...

Edited by Si J

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jbplacebo

Hi all,

Paul wrote

( Flash for the Vega is a special version optimised for GLES2. The market versions aren't, hence the issue. )

-----------------------

My vega is showing In the About device section

Model Number

MoDaCo Custom ROM for Advent Vega r8

EC version

Kernel version

2.632.9_MCK_r2_slave

Build number

harmony 2.2 FRF91 20110105.180720

So how do we re-activate flash after we've installed paul's r8 rom onto our vega

I too don't have the /system/etc/shuttle_priv directory on the device

My vega had 1.09 newest build flash version preinstalled, i bought it on 26 Feb Saterday , so it was a upto date version .

Has this situation been resolved by anyone ?

Thanks for any solution .............. Ive placed this request about 8 hrs ago , i paid my £9.99 subscriptiuon can you help Paul .

Edited by jbplacebo

Guest alexzhou
Flash support on the Vega seems a little strange. Strange in the way it's installed and strange in itself.

Upgrading or updating seems to occasionally break Flash support in the browser, as does installing an updated version from the Market (the Vega seems to have an accelerated version specifically for the Tegra hardware).

If Flash has stopped working on your machine, the fix is super easy!

Simply browse in iFileManager on the device to /system/etc/shuttle_priv and click on the APK file to install.

DONE! :huh:

P

Hi, Paul. I know the vega's flash player that it's custom for advent vega by adobe. after install R8. the flash video quality is poor than original of advent. how can I get back the flash version? or it's possible backup it before installing R8

Hi all,

Paul wrote

( Flash for the Vega is a special version optimised for GLES2. The market versions aren't, hence the issue. )

-----------------------

My vega is showing In the About device section

Model Number

MoDaCo Custom ROM for Advent Vega r8

EC version

Kernel version

2.632.9_MCK_r2_slave

Build number

harmony 2.2 FRF91 20110105.180720

So how do we re-activate flash after we've installed paul's r8 rom onto our vega

I too don't have the /system/etc/shuttle_priv directory on the device

My vega had 1.09 newest build flash version preinstalled, i bought it on 26 Feb Saterday , so it was a upto date version .

Has this situation been resolved by anyone ?

Thanks for any solution .............. Ive placed this request about 8 hrs ago , i paid my £9.99 subscriptiuon can you help Paul .

See reply in thread

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...s/#entry1592612

Guest jbplacebo

Sorry Davo ........

I was'nt meaning to Shout .......... im just not very used to this kind of thing .

Im still finding it hard to get that links website to download for me

and then once ive downloaded it to my pc I dont know the proceedure of getting it onto my vega .

Im very new to this type of thing.

Cheers and thanks

Sorry Davo ........

I was'nt meaning to Shout .......... im just not very used to this kind of thing .

Im still finding it hard to get that links website to download for me

and then once ive downloaded it to my pc I dont know the proceedure of getting it onto my vega .

Im very new to this type of thing.

Cheers and thanks

once you have it downloaded apk file device, find it iplayer, click on it and it will install

Guest Alex foster

Can somebody please help me?

I click system and then etc but do not have shuttle_priv all i have is shuttle.sh and shuttle_ins.sh, also downloaded flash from market but still no luck, any ideas what is wrong. I have checked again and again but still cannot find it, what can I do?

Regards

Alex

Guest wriggs
Can somebody please help me?

I click system and then etc but do not have shuttle_priv all i have is shuttle.sh and shuttle_ins.sh, also downloaded flash from market but still no luck, any ideas what is wrong. I have checked again and again but still cannot find it, what can I do?

Regards

Alex

Had the same problem after buying my Vega last week with Flash already installed and flashing the ROM. Did the following and it now works.

1. Downloaded latest flash APK file to my PC using Dav0's link above (Adobe Flash Player 10.1.120.1)

2. Connected Vega to PC and copied APK file to SD card (need to turn off USB debugging mode to allow PC to see Vega)

3. Uninstalled existing Flash application from Vega via Settings > Manage Applications (not sure if this step is necessary)

4. Used iFileManager to navigate to the APK on SD card and installed it.

Can now watch video on most sites. BBC iPlayer site says my phone is not supported but downloaded the iPlayer application from Market and it works fine.

Thanks

John

Guest Alex foster
Had the same problem after buying my Vega last week with Flash already installed and flashing the ROM. Did the following and it now works.

1. Downloaded latest flash APK file to my PC using Dav0's link above (Adobe Flash Player 10.1.120.1)

2. Connected Vega to PC and copied APK file to SD card (need to turn off USB debugging mode to allow PC to see Vega)

3. Uninstalled existing Flash application from Vega via Settings > Manage Applications (not sure if this step is necessary)

4. Used iFileManager to navigate to the APK on SD card and installed it.

Can now watch video on most sites. BBC iPlayer site says my phone is not supported but downloaded the iPlayer application from Market and it works fine.

Thanks

John

Legend Thanks A Million :(

Guest Sillothian

So I flashed my new Vega to r8 MCR over stock 1.09 and obviously the version of Flash I have (10.1.120.1) will not work.

This is probably a bit of a stupid question, but which of the 3 Flash downloads (http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...guides-how-tos/) is the best to use? I would have thought 10.1.95.22, unless the 10.1.120.1 posted in that thread is different to version supplied with 1.09.

One last question!. I assume which ever .apk file I use I just need to copy it onto the SD card and install it using the file manager? I'm still new to Android having just got the Vega and switching to an Android phone from a Symbian powered Nokia ;-)

Edited by Sillothian

Guest Sillothian
So I flashed my new Vega to r8 MCR over stock 1.09 and obviously the version of Flash I have (10.1.120.1) will not work.

This is probably a bit of a stupid question, but which of the 3 Flash downloads (http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...guides-how-tos/) is the best to use? I would have thought 10.1.95.22, unless the 10.1.120.1 posted in that thread is different to version supplied with 1.09.

One last question!. I assume which ever .apk file I use I just need to copy it onto the SD card and install it using the file manager? I'm still new to Android having just got the Vega and switching to an Android phone from a Symbian powered Nokia ;-)

To answer my own question the 10.1.120.1 from the other thread worked fine. I just copied the file via usb to the SD card and installed it using ifilemanager :(

Guest NoEyedDear

Hi, totally new to android.

I have been following the Vega threads on Modaco for some time and jumped in and purchased a Vega last week.

I loaded the latest pre-baked Modaco ROM with no problems thanks to great instructions here.

I loaded flash from the Market and all seemed OK.

However, when I accessed certain BBC web pages, especially the football match reports with the embedded video clips of Arsene Venger moaning about the ref, the browser crashed and return to the homescreen.

So, after little research, I installed the modified .apk found by following links in certain threads. (v10.1.120)

Still no joy, certain pages still crash, iPlayer OK, flash games OK, just certain BBC sites. I have to turn off plugins and load the flash content by clicking the down arrow. This arrow does not appear for the small embedded videos causing the error, but the page does load.

I have even tried Dolphin HD browser and it still crashes.

Am I missing a trick? I have searched all the threads and it seems the modified .apk solves the problem, but not for me.

I loaded the Modaco ROM to get the market and some performance increase. I have now found an addon which adds Market to the original ROM. So, I am in two minds, whether to go back to the original standard ROM with the addon or stick to the Modaco ROM, I do not have enough knowledge to make an informed decision. All I use the Vega for is as living room gadget to access the internet, play games and answer email.

Your thoughts are appreciated

Guest Nemes1s
However, when I accessed certain BBC web pages, especially the football match reports with the embedded video clips of Arsene Venger moaning about the ref, the browser crashed and return to the homescreen.

So, after little research, I installed the modified .apk found by following links in certain threads. (v10.1.120)

Still no joy, certain pages still crash, iPlayer OK, flash games OK, just certain BBC sites. I have to turn off plugins and load the flash content by clicking the down arrow. This arrow does not appear for the small embedded videos causing the error, but the page does load.

Am I missing a trick? I have searched all the threads and it seems the modified .apk solves the problem, but not for me.

I loaded the Modaco ROM to get the market and some performance increase. I have now found an addon which adds Market to the original ROM. So, I am in two minds, whether to go back to the original standard ROM with the addon or stick to the Modaco ROM, I do not have enough knowledge to make an informed decision. All I use the Vega for is as living room gadget to access the internet, play games and answer email.

Your thoughts are appreciated

Did you uninstall the Market version of Flash first? Also, several have reported that a reboot of the Vega was required to get either version to function correctly so may be worth trying. I would say that reverting to the stock ROM with just the market app is unlikely to fix the problem for you and I think you would be much better off remaining with Pauls MCR as it provides a host of functionality and performance tweaks that are certainly worth having.

Guest NoEyedDear
Did you uninstall the Market version of Flash first? Also, several have reported that a reboot of the Vega was required to get either version to function correctly so may be worth trying. I would say that reverting to the stock ROM with just the market app is unlikely to fix the problem for you and I think you would be much better off remaining with Pauls MCR as it provides a host of functionality and performance tweaks that are certainly worth having.

Thanks for the reply.

I did install the Market version first, then uninstalled and install the modded version. Am I right in thinking holding the power button down for 6 seconds then turning it back on is a reboot? Or is there a more technical routine I am missing? Is there a cache I need to clear? I am lost when it comes to Android.

Guest Nemes1s
Thanks for the reply.

I did install the Market version first, then uninstalled and install the modded version. Am I right in thinking holding the power button down for 6 seconds then turning it back on is a reboot? Or is there a more technical routine I am missing? Is there a cache I need to clear? I am lost when it comes to Android.

Holding the button down for 6 seconds will do a forced shutdown - only really do that when you have to. Holding the power button down for about two or so seconds should pop up a menu with several options including shutdown. This does a controlled shutdown which is preferable. Remember this is all Linux underneath!