Linux on Vega (Ubuntu, meeGo)

Guest vgrade

Guest warriorscot

Looks good guys, hoping I can get a chance to mess around with this a little in April when I get back from the med and some of my deadlines ease up.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vgrade

I've ported the new MeeGo Tablet Ux

Vega-tegra-tablet1.jpg

Vega-tegra-teblet2.jpg

Performance is shocking at the moment but work is in progress to address this.

vgrade

Edited by vgrade

Guest quazar666

So the major issues right now are speed and lack of nvidia drivers?

I'm impressed about you're progress, especially since this seems to be a solo project!

Hopefully you'll get some support from nvidia, as Tegra running Meego should also be of interest to them.

Guest OwenRW
I've ported the new MeeGo Tablet Ux

Performance is shocking at the moment but work is in progress to address this.

vgrade

That looks pretty awesome! Excellent work! :D

Guest peter a
That looks pretty awesome! Excellent work! :D

Keep up the good work !!!

It`s nice to see an alternative, with the delay to honeycomb we all could be using it soon.

Guest vgrade

Thanks Guys,

'Just standing on the shoulders of giants'

A couple more videos for you of the new MeeGo tablet ux.

I'm beginning to think we don'r need the accelerated driver for basic operation!

vgrade

Guest Panayioti

So I got three questions:

1. Not to be impatient but when will you post how to get meego on the advent vega?

2. How hard is it to install meego?

3. And what software is out for meego? (I don't know much about meego) :D

Thanks

Guest vgrade

Hi ,

Thanks for the interest.

See inline but the summary is that this is not ready for prime time but I post here to keep people in the loop as to where we are.

But I will endevour to update the instructions and point people to the images at bug10738.openaos.org

vgrade

So I got three questions:

1. Not to be impatient but when will you post how to get meego on the advent vega?

I've been keeping a log at http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/TEGRA2 but this does not include the latest instructions. See part 2.

2. How hard is it to install meego?

This is bleeding edge dev at the moment and for a full user experence we need to get accelerated graphics drivers from nVidia for the latest Xorg and built for arm hardfp. Yes it runs but its not usable really until we get these drivers. See 3

3. And what software is out for meego? (I don't know much about meego) :D

www.meego.com, wiki.meego.com

There a a set of apps built for MeeGo mail, IM, browser, calculator etc which come with MeeGo but any Linux package can be packaged and someone has provided details of hw to install the 20000 packages avaiable to Fedora Core. See http://wiki.meego.com/MeeGo-Lem

Thanks

• 2 months later...
Guest vgrade

Hi Guys,

I have been working with this new linux 4 tegra release as I had access to it before release from the guys at trimslice.

I have been working with trimslice at the moment.

Will need to check on the progress of the vega kernel to see if this nvidia release can be used with the vega,

Here's the first page of the release notes.

post-797214-1309526468_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest blcollier

Has there been any progress with this at all? I can see that there was much work going on for trimslice. I just gave the Ubuntu sample a shot (from the "other" Linux thread :)), but I think I'd much prefer to try and run MeeGo.

Guest vgrade

Yes I've been busy on the Trimslice as this had a recent kernel but now we have a stable 2.6.36 kernel on the Vega it will get some MeeGo love soon. :)

BTW great work by all the kernel devs who have done a remarkable job in getting us up to .36

vgrade

Has there been any progress with this at all? I can see that there was much work going on for trimslice. I just gave the Ubuntu sample a shot (from the "other" Linux thread :)), but I think I'd much prefer to try and run MeeGo.

• 2 weeks later...