Home networking, video over network

Guest Drizz

Guest burden010
no, it doesn't

if browsing my network shares, it won't open the videos

i can't remember the exact error right now, i'm just going from memory (at work atm.), but it definitely wouldn't just simply stream and play.

Yep, you're right. Sorry for the confusion it's been a while since I tried it. It tries to play with ES's own video player which doesn't recognise many files.

Guest trebor63

Hi,

I have tried to run Estongs file explorer however it seems as though the notification bar is hiding the top part of the programme so I cant access some of the functions, can the app be made to run full screen or the ntification bar made to disapear?

Guest warriorscot

After some looking around I tried gmote after noticing it being recommended on lifehacker. Initially I got it for the ability to act as a mouse and a keyboard for my pc as at the moment I use a wireless controller to do it but this is way more functional. And I noticed it has the option of streaming video and I pretty much figured it wouldn't work but it does and it works really well so far. Only trouble at first was it wasn't retrieving the whole of my folder lists but that was fixed by simply directing it to the root( eg D:/ ) and navigating from there.

Guest debs626
After some looking around I tried gmote after noticing it being recommended on lifehacker. Initially I got it for the ability to act as a mouse and a keyboard for my pc as at the moment I use a wireless controller to do it but this is way more functional. And I noticed it has the option of streaming video and I pretty much figured it wouldn't work but it does and it works really well so far. Only trouble at first was it wasn't retrieving the whole of my folder lists but that was fixed by simply directing it to the root( eg D:/ ) and navigating from there.

This app does seem to be the best for streaming video's across your network atm, I have tried messing with a few others and non function as good as the Gmote :P and its pretty straight forward to setup too.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dazzawright
I can't test it right now as I'm at work but I think so yes. I'm sure it offers you options based on the file extension.

Do you happen to know how to set this up ? I have ESFileExplorer running and it connects to my NAS just fine. I can start playing a movie but after 10 seconds or so of playback it decides it doesn't support streaming. All my file are .avi so i dont think they will ever stream. If I can set them as being seen as local then that would fix my problem.

Guest trebor63

Hi all,

I stream very well from my iomega nas both MKV and avi not sure about wmv at the moment. I use the free UPnPlay who,s menus leave a little bit to be desired but on selecting the file over the network it then gives me the choice of player, tried most of the free ones available but Rockplayer seems the most stable and able to handle differeny formats It doesnt like the Hardware option though but the software option plays very nicely.

My nas obviously has UPNP capability and so far has been bulletproof on the network and for a little over £50 is a bargain down side you supply the USB drives up side is wired ethernet and b/g/n wireless.

Guest travisb

Installed gmote server on my mac and got it to link to my NAS (Western Digital My World Book). With video (M4V) it refuses to see files via the Vega. With Audio (MP3), it comes back with an error when selecting a song. Guess I'll have to stick to watching/listening via PS3 :)

Guest ChazW123

Done a lot of testing and best method I have found is using a pc app called Tversity to stream video, music and pics all via flash! Basically you set the Tversity up and set which folders to share, then on the Vega point the browser to the pc name or IP address on port 41952, i.e. http://server:41952/flashlib

The normal flash player plugin then pops up and away you go. Tested and even plays full 1080p MKVs fine! (as they get transcoded to flv on the fly). You can even stream over to 3g connection too, I use Barnacle Wifi on my X10 phone to shared my 3g to my Vega, too slow for 1080p then though :)

Edited by ChazW123

Guest Sanddancer75

I'd love to see something like XBMC ported to Android. It's nice to see Twonky server software on the platform, but client software might have made a little more sense. I have Twonky Server running on my Linksys NSLU2 & it's great.

Guest BiggerH
Done a lot of testing and best method I have found is using a pc app called Tversity to stream video, music and pics all via flash! Basically you set the Tversity up and set which folders to share, then on the Vega point the browser to the pc name or IP address on port 41952, i.e. http://server:41952/flashlib

The normal flash player plugin then pops up and away you go. Tested and even plays full 1080p MKVs fine! (as they get transcoded to flv on the fly). You can even stream over to 3g connection too, I use Barnacle Wifi on my X10 phone to shared my 3g to my Vega, too slow for 1080p then though :)

i can sream avi files fine, but with 720p mkv files it doesn't play . it just hangs- tried a few files but none work

any specific settings i needbto use with Tvsersity?

Guest ChazW123
i can sream avi files fine, but with 720p mkv files it doesn't play . it just hangs- tried a few files but none work

any specific settings i needbto use with Tvsersity?

Will be down to the codecs on the pc. Do the mkv files play ok in wmp?

I'd love to see something like XBMC ported to Android. It's nice to see Twonky server software on the platform, but client software might have made a little more sense. I have Twonky Server running on my Linksys NSLU2 & it's great.

Seconded for XBMC port ... shouldnt be too difficult as there is a live CD / Linux port anyway

Guest ChazW123
yep - plays fine in wmp

I had issues with them (mkv's) streaming but no sound on one pc but tried another and it was fine, looking on the forums for Tversity it is down to the codec pack installed.

I ended up uninstalling Tversity and any codec packs or installs (CCCP, K codec, Sharky007 and Xvid/Divx and the Tversity codecs too). Then rebooted and reinstalled Tversity (which includes the codecs for xvid & divx and some others), then installed the Matroska codec and ffdshow to encode the MKVs and it now works perfectly.

• 2 months later...
Guest jamsiel

I've been trying to use upnplay to stream .avi from my media sharing pc. file will stream ok for about 5 mins or so, then it just locks up or the app crashes. Tied rockplayer too, same thing. Not sure where the problem stems from.

Any suggestions?

Guest barnston

I'm now using vega with twonky app to beam music to our sony media player from wd my book world (twonky installed) nas. Can also beam music, vid & photos to win vista and 7 pc/ laptops on the network. All music/photos/vid streams flawlessly to stock player on vega (not that i really understand the all the format business but i think our films are ripped as mpeg2 avi)

Guest Pombolo
I've been trying to use upnplay to stream .avi from my media sharing pc. file will stream ok for about 5 mins or so, then it just locks up or the app crashes. Tied rockplayer too, same thing. Not sure where the problem stems from.

Any suggestions?

'PlugPlay' work +/- well, the only problem is that video is not always centered, but the streaming is good (from a Nas)