24/Jan 2.5.1.8: ClockworkMod for the Advent Vega

Guest PaulOBrien

To all those people installing the ClockworkMod.... As mentioned by Paul in his original post, this is beta code. A number of us have had problems of black-screen boots at some point after installing ClockworkMod. You may want to leave this a while before finding you have to reinstall everything (including all your apps and settings) from scratch as reflashing stock 1.04 is the only way we know how to recover from this. Please see: http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...vega-wont-boot/

Guest worto03

thanks to TylerDurdenK & lnux9898 for the info I was going to give it another try today (my girlfriend wouldn't let me use the laptop and the tablet last night! something to do with Christmas shopping) but after what arad85 said I'm reconsidering anyway - whats the best alternative for people that don't want to beta test this?

I'd just like to backup the device but I don't think I'd be able to add anything constructive to the beta testing as I'm new to android and also don't want to risk the black-screen boots issue. Is there a market app that will pretty much image the device like you would with ghost and a windows desktop?

Thanks.

Guest MonkeyBoy451

I've just downloaded the latest clockwork rom manager from the Market - v2.5.1.2 - and decided to flash the ClockworkRecovery Mod from within it.

It recognised the tablet as Advent Vega and now shows that ClockworkMod 2.5.14 is now flashed.

Does this mean that ClockworkMod is now compatible with the Vega?

I did a reboot into recovery mode - but all I got on the screen is a box with an arrow coming out of it and wee android man!

Guest redmongoose
I've just downloaded the latest clockwork rom manager from the Market - v2.5.1.2 - and decided to flash the ClockworkRecovery Mod from within it.

It recognised the tablet as Advent Vega and now shows that ClockworkMod 2.5.14 is now flashed.

Does this mean that ClockworkMod is now compatible with the Vega?

I did a reboot into recovery mode - but all I got on the screen is a box with an arrow coming out of it and wee android man!

Thats what I did too, with the same result.

I can't get adb to recognise the vega even though all other Android devices show up

Guest rvdgeer
It's here! This is currently in TEST, use with caution etc. etc. :) This recovery is built by me and in no way endorsed or supported by Koush.

When I look here (clockworkmod recovery downloads) I find recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.4-vega.img amongst many others...

Does this mean version 2.5.1.4 is 'officially' supported by Koush and the status on the Opening Post in this topic is outdated?

[EDIT]

I went ahead and asked @clockworkmod on twitter about the clockworkmod recovery 2.5.1.4 for the Advent Vega.

Here's my question and the answer:

RobvdGeer:

@clockworkmod Can you confirm the 2.5.1.4 recovery for Advent Vega is working correctly? Or is it still a WIP? And how about ROM mgr? Thanx!

9:27am, Dec 21 from HootSuite

clockworkmod:

@RobvdGeer I actually dont know who contributed advent, but I think I did a build for it. It should be working.

9:38am, Dec 21 from Tweetie for Mac

So it looks like the latest recovery is more or less an official clockworkmod recovery for the Vega!

[/EDIT]

Edited by rvdgeer

Guest MonkeyBoy451
When I look here (clockworkmod recovery downloads) I find recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.4-vega.img amongst many others...

Does this mean version 2.5.1.4 is 'officially' supported by Koush and the status on the Opening Post in this topic is outdated?

[EDIT]

I went ahead and asked @clockworkmod on twitter about the clockworkmod recovery 2.5.1.4 for the Advent Vega.

Here's my question and the answer:

So it looks like the latest recovery is more or less an official clockworkmod recovery for the Vega!

[/EDIT]

I've tried the latest rom manager from the market and tried flashing this recovery, but it still doesnt seem to work for me - just get the "android next to box" screen.

Is there a specific order to do this or not? i.e. Flash 1.06.5 formware and then clockwork and then r5 MCR+PP??

Currently I've done it as 1.06.5, then r5 MCR+PP, then clockwork.

Guest rvdgeer
I've tried the latest rom manager from the market and tried flashing this recovery, but it still doesnt seem to work for me - just get the "android next to box" screen.

Is there a specific order to do this or not? i.e. Flash 1.06.5 formware and then clockwork and then r5 MCR+PP??

I believe you need to do it with adb...

Aren't the instructions in the opening post on this topic?

Something with pushing and chmodding flash_image if I remember correctly...

ROMmanager seems to have trouble booting to recovey on the device...

I had the black screen of death, so I reinstalled 1.06.5, then r5 MCR+PP, then clockwork, and tried to restore a backup made with clockwork earlier. Now all I get is "booting......." and that's it. I installed everything again, clearing cache etc etc, still no joy. Anyone any ideas why the restore won't work?

Cheers

Guest MonkeyBoy451
has anyone tried 2.5.1.4 yet?

is it still broken with the latest vega update?

I only tried it through Rom manager the other week and it didn't flash properly. I see there is a new v3 rom manager in the market, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I have to say this is VERY VERY easy to mess up, even for someone who has experience of flashing, android and adb. :(

I followed everything up to booting up to install the .apk

I did it successfully.

Then for some stupid reason I thought I should be out of adb debugging mode (I know NOW!!!) LOL so I unchecked it.

Was really just wanting to insytall clockwork ready for r6 and r7 so didn't want to do anything today

BUT

I wanted to check if the apk programme was installed... I pressed it. (YES I KNOW!!!)

Instead of asking if I wanted recovery, it just did it (reckon that should be changed if poss) rebooted, and of course it hung.

I now have a VEGA that just boots to a backlit black screen and does nothing else.

Its a real real stressy mess, and FAR too easy to do. ;) So I'm currently charging my Vega, have already tried half a dozen times to get into the button Recovery without any luck.

And this was with me being very alert and KNOWING some folks have had probs. So yes, the bootloader on the vega IS still dodgy.

Dayz xx

I'm back, but what a pain in the ass!!

I had to

- turn off completely and leave charging

- Uninstall all of my USB Devices and restart my PC

- take out the SDCard

- wait until the charge was at least above 50% I think (I had no way of knowing how charged it was whilst it was messed up, but previous attempts at the same thing didn't work so I left it ten mins between each try - when it did work, battery was at 58%)

- plugged in the USB lead for vega

- Try the RECOVERY FLASH mode key press order again

This time it showed installing the NVidia Recovery USB Driver, but nothing else, screen stayed off! Also no USB recognised noise, but since I saw it install the right driver where it had done nothing before, I took a chance...

- Run the exe file for 1.04 Vega ROM - it worked :( Booted up all OK with Stock 1.04 ROM

- rechecked adb debugging ;)

- Reinstall MCR r5

- Restore as much as I could from my one Titanium Backup (and thankful I had done at least one!!)

And youre back in the room.

seriously, could the .apk not have a stall in it where when you press the .apk it asks if you are ready to reboot to recovery? woulda saved me anyway...

Dayz

Guest Sk1mble

I'm having exactly the same issue. Did you find a solution? Or a way to flash back to the default recovery ROM?

Thanks,

Skimble

Guest MonkeyBoy451
I'm having exactly the same issue. Did you find a solution? Or a way to flash back to the default recovery ROM?

Thanks,

Skimble

No I didnt find a solution unfortunately - the only way back right now to stock was just to reflash v1.6.05 then MCR+Addons+PP etc.

Hopefully Paul gets it sorted with Koush to consistently work for r7 and onwards. :(

Guest professordes

When I flash the recovery image I get:

mtd: not writing bad block at 0x003a0000

which is presumably bad news :unsure:

It won't let me reflash, even with a re-downloaded image, saying:

header is the same, not flashing recovery

so I'm a bit wary about both rebooting and (definitely) about trying recovery.....

Any suggestions?

Edit - I threw caution to the winds and tried the recovery via the apk, and it seems to be working (as is the standard boot)

Edit2 - Oh no it isn't - BSOD now.....

I haven't had this problem before the clockworkmod installation. Have any of the other folk reporting problems had a similar installation error to the one I saw?

Edited by professordes

Guest TeaTimeSoon

This is now the second BSOD I have had after installing Clockwork and am about to re-flash with the stock ROM and go through the whole thing of re-installing the latest updates and performance pack as well as all my apps etc.

I really really wanted to have Clockwork installed so I could flash the Ad-Hoc wifi update so I can wifi tether to my HTC Hero, but now feel this is not a viable solution as I think it now inevitable I will get a BSOD again.

On the Hero the recovery images work really well and it is easy to boot into the enhanced recovery mode whenever I like, but on the Vega this just seems like a dream at the moment. Full credit to those working on these issues for what has been achieved so far, but I will wait until a reliable option is available.

Question: is it possible to update the Vega system with a zip image in some other way rather than using Clockwork? The wpa_adhoc-signed.zip can be opened and the contents are visible - can I simply use adb to push the system/bin/wpa_supplicant file onto the Vega? Is that going to work? Hope somebody can advise on this question - it may be naive and obvious to everyone - so apologies in advance!

Now... back to the re-installation of everything...

Guest simonta

Folks, please don't take this the wrong way but this forum has a very usable search facility.

The information on applying updates without clockworkmod is in several existing threads. Please do a little reading then come back here if you need more help.

The intent is not to appear unhelpful but rather to try to keep this forum focussed. It's beginning to get quite untidy with the same questions asked and answered multiple times and new threads opened for topics already covered.

As I say, if you can't find or don't know how to use the info, please do come back and I'll helo you through it.

Cheers

Guest rpmccormick

Can we trust this recovery? Is it a known issue that if you use it to install with R6 you have no root?

History:

Flashed advent vega update, installed R5 small bar pre-cook via .bat: had big bar and no root.

Installed R5 small bar pre-cook fix on top via .bat: had big bar and no root.

Installed recovery, installed R6 small bar pre-cook on top via Recovery: had small bar and no root.

Re-Flashed advent vega update, installed recovery, installed R6 via recovery: had small bar and no root.

Re-Flashed advent vega update, installed R6 via .bat: had small bar and root! Yay!

Now I am reluctant to install the recovery on my 1st working system with root, and possibly break it, and possibly not being able to get root back. I guess I will see if it works as advertized when R7 is released.

PS: What I mean by 'root' is that AdFree, TitaniumBackup, ADBWireless, etc work... they all had root over adb.

Guest rvdgeer
has anyone tried 2.5.1.4 yet?

is it still broken with the latest vega update?

+1

Did anyone try to flash clockworkmod 2.5.1.4 using adb?

Anyone using 2.5.1.4 and having problems?

(I believe it's not possible to flash it using ROM manager...)

As far as I know 2.5.1.3 is the first cwm version, done by Paul...

2.5.1.4 is the second version, done by Koush, the cwm Master :unsure:

I asked Koush a little while ago if 2.5.1.4 was safe to use...

He said he wasn't aware of any bugs or problems...

So I'm wondering if all problems mentioned are related to 2.5.1.3 exclusively or to 2.5.1.4 too?

Guest fudgeboy
+1

Did anyone try to flash clockworkmod 2.5.1.4 using adb?

Anyone using 2.5.1.4 and having problems?

(I believe it's not possible to flash it using ROM manager...)

As far as I know 2.5.1.3 is the first cwm version, done by Paul...

2.5.1.4 is the second version, done by Koush, the cwm Master :unsure:

I asked Koush a little while ago if 2.5.1.4 was safe to use...

He said he wasn't aware of any bugs or problems...

So I'm wondering if all problems mentioned are related to 2.5.1.3 exclusively or to 2.5.1.4 too?

Flashing using ROM Manager still doesn't work. I've just tried it. It claims to have installed 2.5.1.4, but when I boot into it, using either ROM Manager or Paul's Recovery Boot thing, I get the Android-out-of-the-box recovery.

I presume Koush is aware of this--the fact that it recognizes the model as Advent Vega and then offers to flash recovery for it suggests that it's supposed to work.

Guest rimoth
Flashing using ROM Manager still doesn't work. I've just tried it. It claims to have installed 2.5.1.4, but when I boot into it, using either ROM Manager or Paul's Recovery Boot thing, I get the Android-out-of-the-box recovery.

I presume Koush is aware of this--the fact that it recognizes the model as Advent Vega and then offers to flash recovery for it suggests that it's supposed to work.

I just installed 2.5.1.4 successfully. I think! However when I go to recovery it says 2.5.1.3! Also just noticed 2.5.1.3 & 4 have the same file size 4188KB.

I guess at least it installed OK! Any ideas?

Guest rvdgeer
I just installed 2.5.1.4 successfully. I think! However when I go to recovery it says 2.5.1.3! Also just noticed 2.5.1.3 & 4 have the same file size 4188KB.

I guess at least it installed OK! Any ideas?

I just flashed 2.5.1.4 myself using adb and it does say it's version 2.5.1.3

Will try to ask Koush if this is correct...

Guest rimoth
I just flashed 2.5.1.4 myself using adb and it does say it's version 2.5.1.3

Will try to ask Koush if this is correct...

Phew wasn't sure if I was going mad. Just didn't have time to double check. Let's hope it is a new version, albeit with the same byte count