24/Jan 2.5.1.8: ClockworkMod for the Advent Vega

Guest PaulOBrien

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sir Gash
Just updated the recovery image 2.5.1.8. Successfully tested many times here, and using the latest 1.08 Vega kernel.

P

Nice! Any chance this will help with the BSOD problem found in previous versions?

Guest Sk1mble

Hi Paul,

Apologies if this is a noobish question, but:

I installed the December update with Performance Pack (r6).

I later installed Clockworkmod and found I got the android-next-to-box screen on using the Recovery app, so I manually installed the 2.5.1.3 Recovery ROM that you linked. That's working fine.

I later installed the Ad-Hoc wifi pack from the SD card in Recovery Mode with no trouble at all.

Is it in your opinion now safe to download Clockwork Mod from the market and, using the ROM manager, to install the latest ROM with this setup?

The other question is, will I obtain any significant benefits by upgrading from 2.5.1.3 to 2.5.1.8?

Thanks,

Richard

UPDATE: Right, so I installed the mod from the first page of this thread instead and it boots fine into ClockWork Mod 2.5.1.8. Is the ROM Manager safe to use with this version? It reports my ROM version as being 2.5.1.4, but I just did a backup via the ROM manager and it seems to have worked perfectly.

Edited by Sk1mble

Guest professordes
Nice! Any chance this will help with the BSOD problem found in previous versions?

2.5.1.8 BSOD'ed immediately with me on the first reboot.... though I did get an error on flashing the recovery image (which I also saw previously with 2.5.1.3, though this allowed a few reboots before dying)

---

./adb shell /data/local/flash_image recovery /data/local/recovery.img

flashing recovery from /data/local/recovery.img

mtd: not writing bad block at 0x003a0000

----

Back to scratch, maybe I'll wait for r7

2.5.1.8 BSOD'ed immediately with me on the first reboot.... though I did get an error on flashing the recovery image (which I also saw previously with 2.5.1.3, though this allowed a few reboots before dying)

---

./adb shell /data/local/flash_image recovery /data/local/recovery.img

flashing recovery from /data/local/recovery.img

mtd: not writing bad block at 0x003a0000

----

Back to scratch, maybe I'll wait for r7

I don't get this at all, i've not had a BSOD. When you're in 'BSOD' mode, does 'adb devices' show anything?

P

Guest professordes
I don't get this at all, i've not had a BSOD. When you're in 'BSOD' mode, does 'adb devices' show anything?

P

Not a peep (from a Ubuntu 10.10 machine). It was a similar story when it flatlined the last time I tried clockworkmod 2.5.1.3. The backlight is coming on,

but there are no other signs of life.

I wonder have any of the other folks who have had problems had a flash error similar to mine:

mtd: not writing bad block at 0x003a0000..?

I'm just about to try a full flash with the 1.08 firmware to see if that resuscitates it.

Edited by professordes

Guest professordes
At which point does it happen? When you first boot to recovery or when leaving it?

That mtd: error shouldn't cause a problem.

P

This time with 2.5.1.8 it was the first reboot to recovery, using the recovery.apk immediately after installing. When I last tried clockworkmod 2.5.1.3 it rebooted with the recovery.apk OK a few times and then died at (if I remember correctly) the first cold boot.

I've just installed the 1.08 firmware and clockworkmod and several reboots to both recovery and the full system have been fine, just about to try a cold boot. More in a mo...

Guest professordes
This time with 2.5.1.8 it was the first reboot to recovery, using the recovery.apk immediately after installing. When I last tried clockworkmod 2.5.1.3 it rebooted with the recovery.apk OK a few times and then died at (if I remember correctly) the first cold boot.

I've just installed the 1.08 firmware and clockworkmod and several reboots to both recovery and the full system have been fine, just about to try a cold boot. More in a mo...

Yaay - a cold boot worked this time (twice). I'll report back if the beastie dies.

Looking forward to r7.. :lol:

Guest professordes
I've just updated the recovery to r4 with a test change that should prevent BSODs when *leaving* recovery...

P

I've burnt that one (since the Vega is in its native state now anyway)

It gets in and out of recovery OK and has cold booted a couple of times.

Guest zzleezz

I had a few problems with cwm recovery before. Anytime I used the recovery app it would just hang the system and not reach cwm. Gave up on it as could get by without it.

Now got 1.08 and this latest cwm it works with no issues at all, perfect now. Look forward to seeing r7 as cwm flash only with no reservations on my part now :lol:

Guest olionair

any chance of a change log? and i am currently running 2.5.1.3 will i be able to flash r7 with that when it comes out? and also any way of regularly booting clockwork e.g. power and up?

thanks in advance

Edited by olionair

Guest MonkeyBoy451

Have installed 2.5.1.8 just now over 2.5.1.3 and everything seems to be working just fine for the moment.

Will try the 1.08 update using CWM shorty.

Thanks Paul. :lol:

Guest olionair

i have followed the instructions word by word and when i booted into clockwork mod still says i am on 2.5.1.3 not 2.5.1.8

any ideas?

Fixed it was a typo on my part

Edited by olionair

Thank you very much Paul, now I have also installed the ClockworkMod 2.5.1.8 and rebooted into Recovery-Mode successful and backuped my system 1.06.5... works!!!

For the Beginners like me:

1. Change the USB-Connection to USB Slave Mode! Reboot and connect Vega -> PC (USB cable)

2. If you don't see in Device Manager "ADB Bridge" then you need first install the drivers from Pauls i.e. R6

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...nline-kitchen/#

3. Copy the Zip with the Flash+Image to the R6 directory

4. with Admin rights start a dos box in the dir of the R6 and just follow Pauls ADB commands, but obbey that the command is different i.e. for Windows-users "adb-windows.exe" instead of simply ADB

5. if anything works fine, then you can try the program "recovery mode"... Vega should directly boot into the Flash Progam :lol:

Edited by TerryH

Guest warriorscot

Finally decided to bite the bullet with clockwork and install in preparation for the r7. So far so good no BSOD and currently backing up my data with no issues. Will report back if I have any problems.

Can't think of a reason for BSODs happening so randomly other than some kind of user error during installation.

Thank you very much Paul, now I have also installed the ClockworkMod 2.5.1.8 and rebooted into Recovery-Mode successful and backuped my system 1.06.5... works!!!

For the Beginners like me:

1. Change the USB-Connection to USB Slave Mode! Reboot and connect Vega -> PC (USB cable)

2. If you don't see in Device Manager "ADB Bridge" then you need first install the drivers from Pauls i.e. R6

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...nline-kitchen/#

3. Copy the Zip with the Flash+Image to the R6 directory

4. with Admin rights start a dos box in the dir of the R6 and just follow Pauls ADB commands, but obbey that the command is different i.e. for Windows-users "adb-windows.exe" instead of simply ADB

5. if anything works fine, then you can try the program "recovery mode"... Vega should directly boot into the Flash Progam :lol:

I was holding out on the CWM but with r7 coming I thought I'd bite the bullet....wish I hadn't. Everything adb went fine. Installed the Vega Recovery App and said bye bye to my Vega :-( - instant BSOD on first attempt

I'm now trying to perfect the 'hold back button for 2 seconds etc etc' lark - but not getting anywhere...I shall keep trying. I'm sure I'll get there.....and I did :-) No matter how many times (20 or so) I tried no joy - what worked for me was to switch the Vega off - pull the power lead out and then back in - then try and whole button pressing process and hit it first time.

After doing a couple recovery installs on a Samsung Android phone and my San Fran, the Vega seems to be a temperamental beast for some of us.

Guest Lennyuk
I was holding out on the CWM but with r7 coming I thought I'd bite the bullet....wish I hadn't. Everything adb went fine. Installed the Vega Recovery App and said bye bye to my Vega :-( - instant BSOD on first attempt

I'm now trying to perfect the 'hold back button for 2 seconds etc etc' lark - but not getting anywhere...I shall keep trying. I'm sure I'll get there.....and I did :-) No matter how many times (20 or so) I tried no joy - what worked for me was to switch the Vega off - pull the power lead out and then back in - then try and whole button pressing process and hit it first time.

After doing a couple recovery installs on a Samsung Android phone and my San Fran, the Vega seems to be a temperamental beast for some of us.

did you leave it long enough? it can take a while to boot into recovery when you press the recovery apk and likewise it can take a while to start to boot when rebooting from recovery.

did you leave it long enough? it can take a while to boot into recovery when you press the recovery apk and likewise it can take a while to start to boot when rebooting from recovery.

I left it a few minutes (how longs a while - 1 min, 2 mins, 5 mins?) - and never got into recovery to wait for it to reboot from recovery. Now the systems flat with v1.08 - I'm going to try again - nothing to lose now :-/