O2 just sent me unlock code for my Dell Streak!

Guest twe

@livingincm: It could take a while, if O2 doesn't have your unlock code in their database. A lot of people here, including myself, had to wait more than a month before we actually got the codes!!

@rubby2: Reply asking why that's the case when a lot of people from different forums on the net have gotten their unlock codes even though they are not in the UK and don't have an O2 SIM. It's ridiculous that they expect you to send the Streak to the UK so that a friend can put in an O2 SIM!

Yeah, you could do that. I used to send one every week! But the fact that Sagar has mailed you saying they are waiting for Dell to send them the code pretty much means that as soon as they receive it, they'll send it across to you!

Guest popetodd

I think he'll be waiting for a long time.

Not to mention that giving the wrong number his request won't match up in O2's database.

I wonder about his request, his excuses for not being able to contact the person he got it from are fishy and I am sure that O2 doesn't just unlock stolen phones when asked.

Guest livingincm

Yay guys i got my unlock code within 8 days :lol: Thank you so much for everything!

@popetodd hmmm, the moment he sent that email, within the next 5 hours he got the code & emailed it back to me. Haha. Yeah.. it's fishy how they run their business. :/ I think this whole emailing them thing is really based on luck.

Edited by livingincm

Guest popetodd

I didn't say the O2 process is fishy, I said the inability of the guy who bought the phone to remember how he got it or who he got it from is fishy.

Please do read.

As for O2 sending unlock codes to people who can't provide the original number of one of the phones locked to their network, that's not fishy: that's seriously lax.

That is so lax that in all likelihood they have unlock a number of stolen phones for the thieves who asked them to.

Guest onliner

Hey guys,

can anybody provide me the email address of sagat? i have written with a o2 uk chat supporter called Donna. Regardless of which arguments i brought forward, she told me that is impossible to unlock the dell streak... a locked streak is very annoying as a german... and rebel sim sucked respective to upgrading to other android versions...

fyi:

You're through to Donna.

Donna: Hi I'm Donna. How can I help?

onliner: hi, my name is onliner

onliner: i have a big problem

onliner: i bought a dell streak

onliner: several month ago

onliner: in an o2 store in london

onliner: without a contract or a sim card

onliner: the proble is

Donna: Okay.

onliner: problem is that

onliner: i'm a german customer

onliner: and the streak is sim looked

onliner: locked

onliner: to o2 uk

onliner: i have read

onliner: that it is possible to get an unlock code

onliner: to unlock the device

onliner: the device is a little bit useless to me

onliner: but i have paid 500 pounds

Donna: I can unlock your Dell Streak for a charge of £15, only if you've used it on our network for 12 months.

onliner: there are many customer in several internet communities

onliner: with an unlock code

onliner: without beeing 12month

onliner: in the uk network

Donna: I'm sorry but I won't be able to unlock it for you before 12 months.

onliner: i had hoped for a better answer

onliner: i had bought the device only because o2 had told in a press release that the devices were sold unlocked

onliner: and the salespersons in your retail shop haven't told me

onliner: that the device is unlocked

Donna: This isn't true. All phones bought from O2 are locked to our network and the customer's are charged £15 for unlocking it.

onliner: sec

onliner: i provide you the link to the press release

onliner: sorry, I have only a screenshot

onliner: of the website

onliner: with the release

Donna: I understand. But I'd still like to inform you that all our phone are locked to our network and you need to use it on our network for 12 months to unlock it except for iPhones

onliner: and a screenshot of the o2 webshop page. and there isn't any info about the sim-lock

onliner: i understand, that this is the usual way

onliner: but this is a unusual situation

onliner: because I live in germany (cologne) and it is impossible for me

onliner: to use the o2 uk network

onliner: and the device is useless in the german o2 network, too

onliner: o2 uk have no advantage

onliner: to lock me in your network

onliner: you got 500 pounds from me and i have a useless device. is there nobody how can deal with this special situation?

Donna: Right, I understand this. But we still won't be able to unlock your Dell Streak without completing 12 months on O2 network.

onliner: this is only a rule

onliner: which is usefull for your business in your own country

onliner: but in this situation this rule is useless

onliner: and should be broken

onliner: is it possible to provide me a contact to yout supervisor? because i can understand that you are not able to break this rule, but maybe your supervisor

onliner: in this forum http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...my-dell-streak/ there are many customer which get their unlock code

onliner: and it is impossible for them to be 12 month in your network

Donna: I asked my supervisor and she said the same thing. If you want You can use your Dell Streak on roaming for 12 months and then we'll unlock it for you.

onliner: because the streak is available since 6 months

onliner: roaming is far too expensive

onliner: who has provided the code to the customers from the forum?

onliner: there MUST be a way to unlock the device

Donna: Well I'm very sorry, we can't unlock the phone before 12 months and this rule can't be broken.

onliner: because there are MANY people with the code

onliner: but the rule is broken

onliner: because there is a proof

onliner: that somebody at o2 uk has provided several codes

onliner: so why you told me that this is impossible?

onliner: i'm a customer who spent 429 pounds for a useless device and there is a solution for this but you told me that this is not true even though is a proof

onliner: here are some posts: Good news guys. I hassled O2 last week and this week and they sent me by email an unlock code for my O2 UK locked Dell Streak! Am using my Vodafone sim card without a rebel sim so it worked. I used the online request service on their website, and they sent it free of charge! Not sure if you get lucky but I quoted the fact that companies out there are giving an unlock solution and the fact that the phone is not exclusive to O2 anymore. Now I can look into moving to 2.2 biggrin.gif

Donna: onliner, I'm very sorry. I won't be able to unlock your Dell Streak before 12 months.

Guest stoney1973
Hey guys,

can anybody provide me the email address of sagat? i have written with a o2 uk chat supporter called Donna. Regardless of which arguments i brought forward, she told me that is impossible to unlock the dell streak... a locked streak is very annoying as a german... and rebel sim sucked respective to upgrading to other android versions...

fyi:

All the elevant email addresses are in this thread, probably be quicker just to have a read through, as there are a cpl of different ones that people have had success with.

I rang O2 today regarding a tariff query and the help line asked if there was anything else to which I said yes I would like to unlock my Dell Streak.

She knew all about the Streak and explained that she would if she could but on her information sheet there are two phones that O2 can’t unlock, the Palm Pre and the Streak.

I mentioned that several people on the forums have reported success with O2's unlocking procedure but she was not impressed by that.

She stressed that this is not due to any reluctance on O2’s part - she even said that it was unfair not to be able to unlock - but that Dell does not provide O2 with the unlocking codes.

So tomorrow I shall ring Dell and see how far I get.

Why are you ringing anyone at all?

Use the web form and get your unlock code.

If you were as careful to read my post as you are quick to preen yourself you would see that I wrote "I rang O2 today regarding a tariff query " My request for unlock followed that in response to "Is there anything else I can help you with".

FYI the form you link to and which I had already found doesn't download. The O2 website is being a pain for me for many weeks now.

So, in the meantime and until I have the form, I shall contact Dell and repeat what O2 have told me and see what they have to say. If Dell’s response is worthwhile I shall post it here.

This Streak unlocking business is unnecessarily fraught and random and nobody yet appears to have got to the bottom of it as to why.

Guest popetodd

I just checked the link, takes me straight to the unlock your phone forms.

It's not a download, it's an online 3 part form. You fill it out and they send you the unlock code a couple of hours later.

What are you getting when you go to the page?

I just checked the link, takes me straight to the unlock your phone forms.

It's not a download, it's an online 3 part form. You fill it out and they send you the unlock code a couple of hours later.

What are you getting when you go to the page?

Since I can’t access it I have no idea what it is, download or online form.

This is what I get

“The connection has timed out

The server at www.o2.co.uk is taking too long to respond.”

As I said, the www.o2.co.uk site has been giving me constant problems for weeks now. The help line today told me that, while there wasn’t a problem as such with the site, nonetheless it is running very slowly. Even their own internal system is sluggish.

I have tried different browsers on my Windows 7 computer and it is also reluctant to load on my Streak.

All I can do is to keep trying. I might get through when traffic to the site is quiet.

Guest stoney1973
Since I can’t access it I have no idea what it is, download or online form.

This is what I get

“The connection has timed out

The server at www.o2.co.uk is taking too long to respond.”

As I said, the www.o2.co.uk site has been giving me constant problems for weeks now. The help line today told me that, while there wasn’t a problem as such with the site, nonetheless it is running very slowly. Even their own internal system is sluggish.

I have tried different browsers on my Windows 7 computer and it is also reluctant to load on my Streak.

All I can do is to keep trying. I might get through when traffic to the site is quiet.

Have you tried flushing your DNS? go to Command prompt, type ipconfig/flushdns .

Or accessing it through a proxy? for example:http://hidemyass.com/ which may sidestep any issues.

Have you tried flushing your DNS? go to Command prompt, type ipconfig/flushdns .

Great information, thank you. It reported ‘successfully flushed the DNS Resolver cache’ but the O2 form still didn’t load

Or accessing it through a proxy? for example:http://hidemyass.com/ which may sidestep any issues.

I shall leave that till last, if you don’t mind. However from time to time I would like to have the need for an APN type facility and this is very useful to have bookmarked.

@popetodd

Bet it's your DNS, try a free. DNS device and see if that helps.

The O2 site is fast from my systems.

My experience of ISP’s, both BeThere and O2, is that their own DNS servers tend to be less than reliable when ‘Get DNS Automatically from ISP’ is selected. It is my preference to use Google DNS, in the past this has resolved ISP DNS connection issues so I used it as a permanent default setting as:-

Google Primary: 8.8.8.8

Google Secondary: 8.8.4.4

My broadband is also with O2 and on your suggestion I have changed this to

Open DNS Primary: 208.67.222.222

Open DNS Primary: 208.67.220.220

The Open DNS works fine so I shall leave it at that. Just to satisfy my curiosity I reverted back to Google DNS to double check and still have issues, that the Google setting fails is disappointing to say the least.

Thank you for the good advice, I shall leave the Open DNS configuration as permanent now.

The O2 Unlocking form is available at long last and I shall complete it today.

Glad to see you've managed it.

Thank to the help here, yes. But I still have issues with certain web pages not loading completely, ah well, that would be a problem for another day

I have completed and submitted the form so let's see. I shall still contact Dell though.

Update

I have just spoken to the Dell Mobility Help Line in Texas which confirms that Dell does not issue unlock codes for the Streak.

What is the UK law on phone unlocking? Despite what it says here

http://www.celtnet.org.uk/mobile-phone/mob...ne-locking.html

“ In the UK service providers are required to unlock a mobile phone if requested to do so. “

But I am not sure that information in correct.

In Belgium and Hong Kong it is prohibited by law to sell locked handsets.

In France “ the subscriber has the right to request that the lock be removed at any time.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_lock#France

Typically I expect the UK to be woolly on the issue e.g. the regulator only wants "consumer awareness"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_lock#United_Kingdom

Lets see how O2 responds to my request form but I have a sinking feeling that we are stuck. Never again will I buy a carrier locked device, that's for sure.

Edited by rebski

Guest stoney1973
Thank to the help here, yes. But I still have issues with certain web pages not loading completely, ah well, that would be a problem for another day

I have completed and submitted the form so let's see. I shall still contact Dell though.

Update

I have just spoken to the Dell Mobility Help Line in Texas which confirms that Dell does not issue unlock codes for the Streak.

What is the UK law on phone unlocking? Despite what it says here

http://www.celtnet.org.uk/mobile-phone/mob...ne-locking.html

“ In the UK service providers are required to unlock a mobile phone if requested to do so. “

But I am not sure that information in correct.

In Belgium and Hong Kong it is prohibited by law to sell locked handsets.

In France “ the subscriber has the right to request that the lock be removed at any time.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_lock#France

Typically I expect the UK to be woolly on the issue e.g. the regulator only wants "consumer awareness"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_lock#United_Kingdom

Lets see how O2 responds to my request form but I have a sinking feeling that we are stuck. Never again will I buy a carrier locked device, that's for sure.

what is your isp? I'm on bethere, and always had huge problems when trying to access some sites, hence the hidemyass proxy thingy.

what is your isp? I'm on bethere, and always had huge problems when trying to access some sites

It was BeThere but now O2 (effectively the same service - O2 took over BeThere) and the same issues of difficulty with certain sites apply. It got so bad at one point that I accused BeThere of censorship blocking. Changing DNS helped a lot.

, hence the hidemyass proxy thingy.

lol ok, I shall give it go this evening.

Edit

Just checked it out but at $16.45 a month it is a bit rich for me, though the special offer of $78.66 for 12 months could be tempting if I had much need for BT'g. It is good to have your personal recommendation though so I am thinking it over.

2nd Edit

I have been researching the subject and my conclusion is, as a rule of thumb, not to entrust my security to VPNs based in US, UK or Sweden. This list is sure to grow.

However good they might be as VPNs they are no match for the legally coerced demands placed on them by a fascist state to provide subscriber information.

Edited by rebski

Why are you ringing anyone at all?

Use the web form and get your unlock code.

My aplogies. I did as you said and the code was emailed to me by O2 this afternoon.

Many thanks.

Guest popetodd

Not a problem, glad I could help. ;)

I think it's like this:

UK law says they have to give you an unlock code if you request it, but that request has to be in writing.

If you call they can give you the run around for as long as they want to keep you chained to their network but as soon as you submit the form it is in writing and they have to comply.

So for all of you wasting your time talking to support people who don't know anything at all: just use the web form already! ;)