[OLED+TFT] 09/Feb r12: MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM download + Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

As far as I know, no, you can't really tell if an update is available or if Paul's working on the blade again. I think you can follow this thread can't you? (options at the header) and just check regularly.

I found some strange bugs (a6 with some custom apps):

-I tried out all the live wallpapers, and now the wallpapers are missing (only live wallpapers and gallery). I had this problem earlier (probably a4), but than the live wallpapers disappeard, and I didn't really care about them. I'm using Zeam Launcher (but Launcher Pro doesn't see the wallpapers eighter).

-The menu button unlocks the lock screen! I mean, after I pressed the power button, and see the lock screen, I can unlock it with the menu button. I found this after my wallpapers disappeard, I don't know if it's relevant or not.

Guest hmcguirk
-The menu button unlocks the lock screen! I mean, after I pressed the power button, and see the lock screen, I can unlock it with the menu button. I found this after my wallpapers disappeard, I don't know if it's relevant or not.

I'm on Alpha5, and have just noticed this. Not sure how I missed it up until now. how long has that worked, I wonder?

Ill upgrade to Alpha6 soon enough...

Guest DarkCounter

Had the "issue" with menu-button, too. Someone pointed me to have a look into spare parts, battery history and switch to partial sleep state (or something like that, dunno the proper english term as my phone is on german language. Here u can see, which app is preventing the phone from going properly into sleep mode. What I want to say: If you can wake your phone with the menu-key, you are loosing battery and your device is working because a app is preventing sleep state. I found out, that it was NewsRob, a google reader sync tool, if that may help you.

Guest DarkCounter

ToDo for r7:

One Issue I found: I Use CalWidget for displaying my google calendar on the homescreen. It offers 3 icons (refresh, open calendar and settings) but the "open calendar" icon isn't working. Just crosschecked on kallt_kaffe's jj (latest version) that it is supposed to work so it has something to do with the ROM, I guess.

Another issue I had on all froyo-ROMs: Sometimes chompSMS stops working properly. I only get a blank screen. Even killing via taskmanger doesn't help. Only solution so far: Rebooting device or going to Menu - Settings - Applications - Manage - ChompSMS - Force Close. Would be great if this can be fixed (as my gf is yet angry 'bout it :D)

Circle battery indicator or at least battery indicator with percantage would be great.

Getting Facebook-sync to work.

Option for reboot in poweroff dialogue (like in CM).

Option for switching 2G/3G within Powerwidget (dunno what it's called in english... you know what I mean... OK, seems to be very tricky as I have seen it only on a late CM for my magic. But it is possible...).

Leaving alpha status :P

Think that's it...

Edited by DarkCounter

Thanks for this release, Paul.

Andorko's v0.5 radio works

Backlight on keys works (If I put the top-half of my phone in a dark bag, they light up.

auto-brightness works - but it always chooses too-bright in my opinion, so I have it always set to very-dim.

com.zte.WeatherWidget crashes when I try to set-city.

The bookmark widget does nothing except go to a google search page. I can't add new bookmarks to it.

Guest hmcguirk
Had the "issue" with menu-button, too. Someone pointed me to have a look into spare parts, battery history and switch to partial sleep state (or something like that, dunno the proper english term as my phone is on german language. Here u can see, which app is preventing the phone from going properly into sleep mode. What I want to say: If you can wake your phone with the menu-key, you are loosing battery and your device is working because a app is preventing sleep state. I found out, that it was NewsRob, a google reader sync tool, if that may help you.

No. The phone IS sleeping. I do press the power button to wake it up. The "issue" is that I dont need to swipe the screen to unlock it, the menu button unlocks it too.

Guest PeTiNgA
No. The phone IS sleeping. I do press the power button to wake it up. The "issue" is that I dont need to swipe the screen to unlock it, the menu button unlocks it too.

Same here, press menu when on unlock screen, and it unlocks the phone (Alpha 6).

Don't know if this is an expected behaviour, never tried this on another ROMs.

EDIT: Started writing this post before Paul commented :D ...

Edited by PeTiNgA

Guest juniperz
Get any requests in for r7 now! :D

P

Yes please; here's one.

Here is what I would like to achieve:

- screen locks after a short time interval e.g. 2 minutes (to preserve battery and avoid accidental activation). Unlock using the lock screen slider.

- phone is locked after a longer period e.g. 30 mins. Unlock using lock screen slider then Password. Password is a security requirement of my employer.

Sadly Settings -> Display -> Screen Timeout takes you straight to stage 2.

I understand that the HTC Incredible does what I want by doing:

- Settings -> Security -> Lock phone after, 30 minutes. MCR a5 does not have this setting.

- Settings -> Display -> Screen time-out, 2 minutes

I have also been told that Cyanogen Mod adds similar controls.

Any chance you could include something like this please? Thanks.

Edited by juniperz

Guest targetbsp

I also would like to see the circle battery or other percentage based indicator.

And also the auto brightness issue. It seems to work fine - it's just it's minimum value seems wrong. It goes up and down depending on light conditions - it just never seems to drop down to lowest in the dark.

Paul What's your opinion on removing CKPD-daemon from /system/bin ?

I saw this on another thread a few weeks ago, removed it 2 days ago and although it may be unrelated my battery life went from being fully charged at 8am to 24% at 16:30 to lasting 49 hours and still having 11% left

Admitedly I did stop using the launcher pro facebook app at the same time so I cannot say for certain that removing that file caused the increased battery time or if it was just coincidence.

I haven't downloaded/installed A6 yet still on A5

Edit: not sure if I like the idea of pressing the menu button to unlock while on the lock screen

Reason being, I read it as pressing the menu button twice while the phone is locked will unlock it?

I like others I would imagine carry my phone in my pocket and I would be terrified it could get unlocked accidentally, as has happened with a differnt phone in the past

My vote is menu button to bring up the unlock screen but keep it as a physical action to unlock or not, or how about menu or power button to bring up the lock screen, then either finger swipe (as standard) OR Power button press to unlock?

Guest PeTiNgA
Paul What's your opinion on removing CKPD-daemon from /system/bin ?

I saw this on another thread a few weeks ago, removed it 2 days ago and although it may be unrelated my battery life went from being fully charged at 8am to 24% at 16:30 to lasting 49 hours and still having 11% left

Admitedly I did stop using the launcher pro facebook app at the same time so I cannot say for certain that removing that file caused the increased battery time or if it was just coincidence.

I haven't downloaded/installed A6 yet still on A5

I found out CKPD-daemon using >50% CPU on Alpha 5.

I think I've read somewhere here on modaco this is for bluetooth controls, and decided to remove it, didn't find any issue yet, and battery life went up.

I searched many times trying to find that post and couldn't find it

Thanks I'm glad I wasn't imagining seeing it somewhere

Bluetooth still works with that file deleted, I just tried it

Guest Mr_Odwin

On the other side of the metaphorical coin I like having menu to unlock (you still need to press the power button to bring up the lock screen - two menu presses does not unlock). The fact that it has taken people so long to even notice this (I'm on a pre-Christmas alpha4 with it activated) shows that it's not that much of an issue for them, whereas I think of it as a real convenience.

This (menu unlock) is a framework option, if people don't like it I can disable it in the next release.

P

NOOOOOOOOOOO, it is a good option, please leave it in the other relese! :D

Thanks!

OK, my 1st question for this, flash went OK for r6 etc. but how do you disable the phone but keep the Wifi going like some other releases (or enable Wifi in Airplane mode) ??

Thanks !

Guest targetbsp
OK, my 1st question for this, flash went OK for r6 etc. but how do you disable the phone but keep the Wifi going like some other releases (or enable Wifi in Airplane mode) ??

Thanks !

Switchpro can optionally leave wifi on in airplane mode. You wouldn't want the phones default airplane mode to do that surely? That would somewhat defeat the purpose. Unless you never fly I spose.

Edited by targetbsp

this unlock thing - before I flash the phone to save me having to do it if it's the wrong way round

TO unlock with the menu button

Do you HAVE to 1st press the power button to bring up the unlock screen?

or

does the unlock screen come up by pressing the menu button? and then a 2nd press of that button unlocks it?

Guest DarkCounter

Oops. Big sorry, obviously I did not read your first post entirely. :D But perhaps my hint may help someone else with his device eating battery and not knowing why (if that fictional person uses the serch, which is quite unlikely :P ).

Guest DarkCounter
this unlock thing - before I flash the phone to save me having to do it if it's the wrong way round

TO unlock with the menu button

Do you HAVE to 1st press the power button to bring up the unlock screen?

or

does the unlock screen come up by pressing the menu button? and then a 2nd press of that button unlocks it?

Nope, first press the power button then the menu button. Pressing menu twice will result in, erm, nothing :D.

Am I the only one not concerned if my phone somehow manages to turn the screen on in my pocket? I can understand that it used to be a problem (what with buttons), but I'm not going to be able to ring anyone, the screen wont register things it touches unless their capacitive?

I use a screen pattern, or pin normally, so this makes no difference to me. Perhaps a way to turn the option on or off in the menu would be the best compromise, if it's possible?