[ROM] [eclair] Finnish Fillyjonk RLS5 [2011-01-05]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest oh!dougal
Do you still have the bladewififix installed also? I removed it and while I didn't exactly get the "Failed to connect" it does see one of my saved networks but doesn't reconnect automaticly and I had to manually connect.

No. I pulled that before changing to the HH wifi, because it was kicking in every time (with the FF slow reconnection being mistaken for a wifi problem).

I mean to reinstall (just as auto-connect insurance) but haven't bothered yet.

Currently I only have one saved wifi network.

I'm sure that also helps minimise the reconnection hassles.

Guest heavyduty00

can someone write me a step by step guide on how to do this becuase i dont understand and there are no video guides :)

what do i do with clockwork recovery and fastboot

Guest Arr Too
Using stock FF2 + HH compass file + HH wifi folder, I've had zero reconnection fails in over 24 hours ... and pretty damn quick reconnection.

But that isn't a universal solution since it failed for me (pretty quickly!). It's only with the modified boot.img that I've (so far) had no wifi problems. But I suppose it's possible that we might never find a setup that works well for everyone.

Nice work kallt_kaffe, installed it last night. Seemed to take a while to boot, but I don't think it was actually any longer than stock. Nice boot screen to look at in the meantime. And very nice to have all the Orange crud off the phone!

Stupid noob question- I followed the advice to wipe user data & cache before installing, but this obviously meant fun and games re-entering passwords for network, wi-fi, etc- I seem to have sausage fingers as far as on-screen keyboards are concerned. Are there any (reliable) ways round this?

Guest Arr Too

Turn the screen to landscape for a bigger keyboard? :) If you are installing a ROM with the same apps then you may be able to preserve the data. Otherwise you'll need to wipe it, or risk the consequences. The Google ones are perhaps the most temperamental/security-conscious: I've found they require you to sign in again even if you've only changed the SIM.

Turn the screen to landscape for a bigger keyboard? :) If you are installing a ROM with the same apps then you may be able to preserve the data. Otherwise you'll need to wipe it, or risk the consequences. The Google ones are perhaps the most temperamental/security-conscious: I've found they require you to sign in again even if you've only changed the SIM.

Forgot about rotating until afterwards :) Thought that was the case regarding passwords- better safe than sorry, really. I shouldn't be doing it very often, unless I find annoying glitches I'll wait for a stable Froyo ROM. And at least it was far less bother to set up for O2 with FF (pretty much instant) than it was with the stock ROM, which was handy.

Guest oh!dougal
But that isn't a universal solution since it failed for me (pretty quickly!). It's only with the modified boot.img that I've (so far) had no wifi problems. But I suppose it's possible that we might never find a setup that works well for everyone.

Did you clear data and caches?

It may be mumbo jumbo, but old settings CAN sometimes come back to haunt you!

And I've just had my first non reconnection. Remembered - not in range --- er, no, its less than two metres away, in clear line of sight!

Guest Arr Too
Did you clear data and caches?
Not sure that makes much difference in this specific case, since I went from a working combination to a failed one and back again a couple of times. I did feel that once you got the broken wifi you were stuck with it (which would suggest something significant in data or possibly cache), but if just changing the boot.img fixes the wifi then I'd say that removing the 'bad' bit in the data or cache will only help mask the issue by making it go away for a bit -- so better not to clear it!

And I've just had my first non reconnection. Remembered - not in range --- er, no, its less than two metres away, in clear line of sight!

That's different to what I always get. How have you found the modified boot.img?

Had FF Rls2 installed for some days and never had any probs with wifi nor the compass. But moved to Bladevillain atm because FF, on my device, never used wifi for data. Instead all traffic was pass through the mobile network.

Disabling APN with APNdroid did not changed anything. Disabling mobile networks resulted in a no data connection available.

Even though I like FF the most until now I will wait for RLS3, hoping all these bugs are fixed.

Edited by lo0p

Guest Len Ash
Had FF Rls2 installed for some days and never had any probs with wifi nor the compass. But moved to Bladevillain atm because FF, on my device, never used wifi for data. Instead all traffic was pass through the mobile network.

Disabling APN with APNdroid did not changed anything. Disabling mobile networks resulted in a no data connection available.

Even though I like FF the most until now I will wait for RLS3, hoping all these bugs are fixed.

Been following this with interest. I have found the FF ROM rather "flakey" compared with the RLS4 BladeVillain ROM. Specifically, the WiFi robustness and the general lack of snappiness of the ROM on day to day tasks. I have also had a few random reboots, which is odd. I have now gone back to the BladeVillain ROM and find it works fine on all the above counts, with the occasional loss of WiFi from sleep rather than every time.

OLED version, btw

Edited by Len Ash

Guest super san francisco

I tried making my own version of FF with the said changes like, WiFi from HH, same as Compass from HH.

Works smoothly, but i have to agree with my forespeaker, the snappyness lags a little bit...

besides i get another issue, which maybe someone can explain: from time to time, when in a call, the call suddenly drops.

no voice can be heard, nor can i talk on, but aside from that, the end call button doesn't react to my pressing, basically i have to press home, the kill the task and try again. this happens some 2-3 times in a row sometimes...with no appearant reason.

started some week ago, back then on seb404 rom. now on FF the same issue...

Guest kallt_kaffe
No. I pulled that before changing to the HH wifi, because it was kicking in every time (with the FF slow reconnection being mistaken for a wifi problem).

I mean to reinstall (just as auto-connect insurance) but haven't bothered yet.

Currently I only have one saved wifi network.

I'm sure that also helps minimise the reconnection hassles.

Well, I tried the HH2 wifi driver+firmware+modified kernel with 3 saved networks and it's just as bad as it usually is. Usually with just one saved network it works better from my experience but as you add a few more reconnecting goes down the drain... :)

I had 7 known networks saved. Never had any probs with reconnecting (but were unfortunately never used for data connections by the phone). As a side note, my localisation was in german but the wifi-fix msgs after standby popped up only once in german in the beginning, after that they were in french.

Edited by lo0p

Guest Arr Too
Well, I tried the HH2 wifi driver+firmware+modified kernel with 3 saved networks and it's just as bad as it usually is. Usually with just one saved network it works better from my experience but as you add a few more reconnecting goes down the drain... :)

Well, the modified kernel is a step in the right direction for me (with just my home network saved). Do you think there are any clues in that? Maybe different (SLEEP?) modifications would work with more saved networks?

bugs/defects report:

1) bluetooth bug, turn on the bluethooth, match with your headset, ZTE can swith to the earphone automatically when a call coming. The problem is that if you try to swith the voice to the handset by click the bluetooth swith key on the left top screen, then your headset will never work anymore even you reset the ZTE, bluetooth headset will never work anymore :) .

2) WMA formate media is not supported.

Guest kallt_kaffe
Well, the modified kernel is a step in the right direction for me (with just my home network saved). Do you think there are any clues in that? Maybe different (SLEEP?) modifications would work with more saved networks?

I'm currently using this setup: modfied sleep settings in kernel, wpa_supplicant binary and athwlan.bin.z77 from my Huawei U8100 and hexedited a trailing "space" in libhardware_legacy into 0x00. Works well so far but it's to early to tell for sure.

EDIT: I've attached the files I'm currently using... You'll figure out where to place them. Be aware that this is a kernel with the new overclocking and with the rather "aggressive" AHB bus overclocking so even at 600MHz (which it will use unless you change it with SetCPU) the AHB bus is oveclocked by 50%. (see the overclocking thread for details). You could use the erlier modified boot.img that you are allready using unless you also want to try out the new overclocking.

wifi_test_files.zip

Edited by kallt_kaffe

Ok I have a problem.

I have installed this ROM on a White SanFran with TFT Screen.

All seems to work ok until you try and make a call.

When you make a call the screen goes blank like the proximity sensor has kicked in. BUT the screen stays blank. The call still connects but the only way back to the phone is to pull the battery . .

anyone else have this?

Did you find reason/fix for this. I'm having now same problem occasionally. Sometimes screen works but usually it goes blank and I cannot end call. Screen wakes up after the other part finishes the call.

Guest oh!dougal
Did you find reason/fix for this. I'm having now same problem occasionally. Sometimes screen works but usually it goes blank and I cannot end call. Screen wakes up after the other part finishes the call.

Sounds like something to do with the proximity sensor.

Did you make certain that you cleared cache and data before installing the rom?

ADDED -- when reporting odd problems, its important to be specific about what your phone version is. (The Finnish one seems to be somewhat different in some quirky details... )

Edited by oh!dougal

Sounds like something to do with the proximity sensor.

Did you make certain that you cleared cache and data before installing the rom?

ADDED -- when reporting odd problems, its important to be specific about what your phone version is. (The Finnish one seems to be somewhat different in some quirky details... )

Crap... I didn't clear cache, but data was cleared before installing rom. I'll try again with clearing both cache and data.

>its important to be specific about what your phone version is.

What kind of information is good to tell and how to get that?

Guest oh!dougal
>its important to be specific about what your phone version is.

What kind of information is good to tell and how to get that?

At minimum, where it was sourced from. (So kk has some idea of who/what is seeing the problem, or not.)

You can do a nandroid backup of your existing setup (from Clockwork), then you could restore it completely and easily.

Then clear and reflash to test the problem.

If its no different, restore your nandroid backup and you are back exactly where you were before.

Guest PeterDreher

Awesome ROM but the Splash Screen is so ugly.

Found out how to change the Boot-Animation but how can i change the first Splash screen?

Another one:

if i make a backup with Clockwork...will that save everything besides the SD-Card or do i still have to install the apps from the market again after using the Backup?

Thanks a lot!

Guest ReflexReaction

Love your rom, but when the screen is locked, the only way to wake up the phone is to press the power on button on the top. I would rather be able to press the home / menu buttons to wake the phone up and present the lock screen. How can I enable this again?

Furthermore, and i'm starting to think this is a bug - when placing a call, as soon as the call connects, the screen goes black. However, I cannot wake it up from the black screen - and it just stays black. Pressing any of the buttons, including the power button, does nothing to wake it... :/

PS. Using the lite version, with the HW accelleration addon.

Edited by ReflexReaction

Guest oh!dougal
Love your rom, but when the screen is locked, the only way to wake up the phone is to press the power on button on the top. I would rather be able to press the home / menu buttons to wake the phone up and present the lock screen.

How can I enable this again?

PS. Using the lite version!!

You can't.

You never could from sleep. On ANY rom.

Only from screen-save (as when on usb/charge, or when a program prevents proper sleep). And you can (of course) do that just fine with this rom.

Its an FAQ - just search for sleep and buttons, for example.

Welcome to the Forum.

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest kallt_kaffe
Can someone do me a favour and upload a flashble zip with the original build.prop for this rom, I've err kinda screwed it up lol.

Just flash the original RLS2 file without wipe:ing and you're good to go again.