[ROM] [eclair] Finnish Fillyjonk RLS5 [2011-01-05]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest kallt_kaffe
d) "does this increase or decrease the performance of games?"

There was something like this in the last release, overclocking messed with the hardware acceleration. I believe it is fixed now (can't find anything on first page, it is not mentioned anymore, but it's not mentioned as fixed).

Here's the deal... The different clocks of the CPU derives from 3 different PLLs that uses different speeds. On our phones they run at 245, 960 and 1200MHz. From these speeds it uses a clock divider to make the different speeds. So 600MHz is PLL2/2. So basicly using these PLLs the only overclockin we could do is 960MHz which will of course not work...

So how is it done? Well, it turns out that these PLLs can be reprogrammed and they use a 7-bit multiplier so the maximum is 63*19200kHz = 1209.6MHz. (On the Blade PLL2 runs at 62*19200kHz so stock 600MHz is actually 62*19.2/2=595.2MHz). The overclocking, before RLS3, changed the multiplier of PLL2 so for example 710.4MHz would be 37*19.2=710.4MHz. All good? No, it wasn't as 3D performance went down the drain. It seems the GPU (Graphical Processing Unit) uses PLL2 as it's clock source so what happend is we (in the 710.4MHz example) decreased the GPU clock to 60% of it's original speed. Another effect that I believe noone noticed is that PLL2 was never restored so the stock 600MHz speed also went down the drain if you overclocked and then went back to 600MHz (without rebooting)...

RLS3 does not change PLL2 (well actually it does as I boost it up to the maximum of 1209.6MHz giving a 9.6MHz boost to stock speed and likely a small boost to the GPU) but rather change PLL1 instead. It also restores PLL1 at speeds below 600MHz.

So this is why 3D performance is no longer going down the drain with overclocking. Now I suppose there is a clock divider somewhere that controls how the GPU derives it's clock from PLL2 and well if could find that and how to change it we might be able to overclock the GPU. :)

Guest LordKickapoo

It was somekind of clitch in setcpu with the battery temps last night. now after 30min of youtube without oc 35-40c and with oc 729mhz 35-40. So everthing seems solid :)

Guest Stryke69

Hey guys, I have a problem with my contacts. I was on MoDaCo r4, did a full Titanium backup, installed this ROM and restored all my Apps and data. Everything worked great, SMS, MMS, settings except my contacts. When I open "contacts" no contacts are shown. Any suggestions?

Hey guys, I have a problem with my contacts. I was on MoDaCo r4, did a full Titanium backup, installed this ROM and restored all my Apps and data. Everything worked great, SMS, MMS, settings except my contacts. When I open "contacts" no contacts are shown. Any suggestions?

if you synced your contacts with an email address you could always import them back by going to the accounts settings

if you synced your contacts with an email address you could always import them back by going to the accounts settings

And if you didn't sync them you can go back to Modaco r4 with the nandroid backup you made (at least I hope so for you :)), safe them to your google-account or, what I'd prefer, to you PC/laptop with the app MyPhoneExplorer from the Market. You also need a client for the PC, but it works quite good. Then you can go back to FF and sync them back.

I had the same problem with 2.1 and 2.2 on my HTC Hero.

Guest oh!dougal
Yes when the screen is on, something is constantly nagging and wanting high speed.

The thing seems to be to tweak the Advanced Settings for the Scaling choices ...

"On Demand" seems overly keen on kicking the speed to maximum, and "Conservative" seemed very keen on keeping the speed down -- despite my initial efforts at fiddling with the numbers!

Has anyone else been trying to play with this to get a snappy user interface, but 'resting' while the user is reading the screen and pondering what to do next?

I've had to get quite aggressive with the 'conservative' settings to get near what I am looking for!

In Advanced:

Sampling Rate 250 000 {therefore consider speed change as often as possible}

Up threshold 35% {so increasing performance at a fairly low load}

Down threshold 12% {slowing when its very idle}

Freq Step 30% {so it changes clockspeed quite a lot, quite quickly - for responsiveness - maybe even higher would be better?}

This seems to work pretty well for web browsing - swift page loading and rendering, with the clock falling back to idle while the page is being read, and scrolling requests seem not too unresponsive.

My understanding is that the Orange stock kernel runs at 600 almost all the time that the screen is on (like stock FF, 'on demand'). It barely used the 245 speed when active - presumably that was used for sleep? (Info deduced from observing Android System Info, under cpu. And the intervening speeds were almost completely unused ... time to try bigger Freq Stepping?

Guest LordKickapoo

Phone idle clocked at 729mhz battery temp history shows that temps went high as 70c and the same time battery is cold as turkey on winter morning :).....

Im not trusting my phones sensor anymore

Edited by LordKickapoo

The thing seems to be to tweak the Advanced Settings for the Scaling choices ...

SNIP!

Just tried these settings myself and it seems to downclock quite well. I'm very interested to see how battery life fares with it set like this.

hi, have i done a setting in setcpu wrong? because all i did was set it to 672max and 320min, on demand setting, left the phone idle the whole night and ive lost almost 35percent battery life? i had switched off wifi 3g, stopped unimportant tasks etc, i thought when it is idle it should use only 320speed so as to save battery life? or do i have to do some special profile setting so when screen is off, please advise

definitely loving the speed boost in angry birds though, wish my phone could handle more than just 672 :)

That's due to the On Demand Governor seeming to like running full bore more often than clocking down. You're better off with the Conservative Governer and using the settings that oh!dougal gave above.

That's due to the On Demand Governor seeming to like running full bore more often than clocking down. You're better off with the Conservative Governer and using the settings that oh!dougal gave above.

thanks, trying his settings now, at least now i can see the clock speed fluctuating up and down, before it was stuck at maximum :) honestly think this is the best rom, if kalt_kaffe manages to overclock the gpu that would be taking things to another level!

I installed RLS3 last night, after using the Modaco v4 ROM since it was released.

Initial impressions were good, it seemed smoother than the Modaco ROM, I have however had a strange problem whereby Angry Birds froze in the middle of a game, so I took the battery out and rebooted the phone. When it came back up it had "lost" all of the text message which Id received since installing the ROM ! Not a deal breaker but a bit strange.

The only real issue I have with the ROM is that it seems to be very battery-hungry compared to the Modaco ROM. I was down to 46% battery by lunchtime today with it locked to 2g, no voice calls, about 15 SMS sent and about 20 mins of music played on the train on the way into work. On the Modaco ROM, "Android System" used by far the highest proportion of battery (Settings > About Phone > Battery Use) whereas with this ROM "Cell Standby" and "Display" have used the most, with "Android System" only using 7%.

Guest naamankaa
I must say that this is a really good rom so thank you kallt_kaffe, keep up with your good work :)

By the way, is it possible to get scandinavian keyboard layout in HTC_mod. Would be perfect with ä and ö letters ;)

And another thing. How can I turn the hw acceleration off? I have it installed now, but I would like to try overclocking without it.

Any guidance to these questions?

Guest kallt_kaffe
Yes when the screen is on, something is constantly nagging and wanting high speed.

The rom (without bus overclock at least) is absolutely great for only sipping on standby. But when the screen is on, it doesn't want to relax at all ...

I disabled automatic brightness and screen rotation and now it sits steadily on 245MHz when idle.

Guest oh!dougal

BTW, the 122 speed seems to work - but I haven't tested it extensively -- yet!

I wonder why ZTE chose not to use that setting? Shouldn't it give the longest standby battery runtime?

Guest kallt_kaffe
BTW, the 122 speed seems to work - but I haven't tested it extensively -- yet!

I wonder why ZTE chose not to use that setting? Shouldn't it give the longest standby battery runtime?

Dunno really. It was the same on my Huawei U8100 but I've ran it with 122 as lowest speed for some time without noticing any negitive sideeffects. Didn't do any real tests to see how/if it affected battere life though.

Guest Movisman

oh!dougal, which overclocking kernel are you using at the moment?

My battery life was so bad I flashed the Finnish_Fillyjonk_RLS3_no_ahb_overclocking_at_600MHz.zip from page 18, and have used the settings you've posted for SetCPU on this page. My max speed is 710mhz and minimum is 122mhz.

I will keep an eye on the battery and see if it improves. I have also disabled automatic brightness to see if helps to calm the idle speed...

Guest Stryke69

Just wanted to let you guys know that I finally got the Fillyjonk to work (after I got my all contacts 4 times and I got a strange problem with the android.acore thing).

I have to say, I like this ROM a lot, it's really fast and smooth and I don't use hw acceleration or the overclocking mode so far.

does anyone have a2sd working on this rom? iv flashed the alternate clockwork kernel from first post, followed tutorial to the letter, installed succesfully, moved apps, but now phone is stuck on boot. it boots normally without the sd card, and if i pop the sd card after booting and run 'a2sd check' command in terminal, it says ext partition found but can not be mounted, contact author of rom, or format to ext2 or ext3. i have repeated the process using ext3, but still same problem.

basically can someone give me a step by step tutorial on how to get it working on this rom

Edited by kag8

Guest oh!dougal
oh!dougal, which overclocking kernel are you using at the moment?

My battery life was so bad I flashed the Finnish_Fillyjonk_RLS3_no_ahb_overclocking_at_600MHz.zip from page 18, and have used the settings you've posted for SetCPU on this page. My max speed is 710mhz and minimum is 122mhz.

The battery is bound to drop very quickly if you are playing games at maximum processor speed.

I'm not a games-player.

I'm running FF3 no bus overclock bus overclock only above 600 and no hardware graphic acceleration added. And currently 710/122

I'm still playing with the SetCPU settings, but for web-browsing it seems less hard than standard on the battery, and pretty damn quick.

FF3 with no bus overclock 600/245 seemed exceptionally frugal with its standby consumption -- it was still showing 100% after over 3 hours idle (in a poor-reception area as well).

Guest Movisman
The battery is bound to drop very quickly if you are playing games at maximum processor speed.

I'm not a games-player.

I'm running FF3 no bus overclock bus overclock only above 600 and no hardware graphic acceleration added. And currently 710/122

I'm still playing with the SetCPU settings, but for web-browsing it seems less hard than standard on the battery, and pretty damn quick.

FF3 with no bus overclock 600/245 seemed exceptionally frugal with its standby consumption -- it was still showing 100% after over 3 hours idle (in a poor-reception area as well).

Hi,

Cheers for the info, looks like our settings are pretty much identical - i'm not a massive games player either, maybe a quick blast every now and then but not every day.

I may try dropping the max clock speed from 710 back to 600 and see if the battery fares a lot better, then perhaps overclock manually when playing a game which demands the extra speed.

Let me know if you find any more improved SetCPU settings when using overclocking. The ones you posted earlier do seem pretty good, much better than the default for scaling!

finally managed to get a2sd working, but my sd-ext is ext3, should i change it to ext2 and repeat the installation procedure? i ask cause i read somewhere the micro sd tha came with the blade (im using it) is crap, so im assuming it will handle ext2 better than ext3 (not sure why, but ext2 sounds older, better for crap sd cards lol), just worried il mess up, so should i leave on ext3 as its working fine as far as i can tell, sorry for the seemingly silly question, but m a noob and il do whatever an experienced person tells me :) cheers