[ROM] [eclair] Finnish Fillyjonk RLS5 [2011-01-05]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Could you please explain how? Thanks!

im a noob but il explain to you exactly what i did, some steps may be useless, but this is what i did:

1.i got gparted live cd from http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

2.burnt the iso to a dvd

3.booted the dvd on my pc using all default options (get to choose alot of stuff, just choose default looking options)

4.connected phone to usb port of pc and mounted sd card

5.in gparted software, i chose my sd card (be sure you choose sd card, dont want to format your pc hard disk lol)

6.formatted sd card, then created Primary FAT32 partition, and then another Primary but EXT3 partition (you may want to choose ext2), now the sd card is ready, or so i thought...i kept getting mounting errors, and boot loops, so i....

7.downloaded the alternative clockwork mod by kalt_kaffe, the one he says lcd and app2sd users should use, its linked in the first post

8.unrard the file downloaded to get .img recovery file

9.downloaded fastboot

10.followed instructions from the stickied thread of installing a clockwork recovery image using fastboot, i.e flashed recovery image from step 7

11.boot into clockwork by holding volume down (i found this version of clockwork slower, but much better of course, just letting you know so you should be patient, dont pull battery)

12.formatted sd card and sd-ext using clockwork

13.created partition using clockwork, with 0mb swap size, takes quite a while

14.installed the zip found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...609#post7021609

15.mounted sd-ext only, i found that mounting sd card AND sd-ext resulted in boot loop

16.reboot phone

17.using terminal emulator, typed 'su' enter, then 'a2sd check' and a loong text appeared which basically said a2sd is working fine etc

18.followed instructions on the earlier xda link to actually move apps to sd using commands

i know its long, but i am very sure it can be shortened, im just a noob trying and trying, finally got it to work, i spent almost 2 hrs on this, kept getting boot loops and unable to mount sd-ext errors

ps. it might be irrelevant but i found this somewhere, if you cant mount sd-ext at all, in terminal, 'mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system/sd-ext'

good luck

Edited by kag8

Guest kallt_kaffe

To be honest I have not tried A2SD in RLS3 but I tried it in RLS2 and I did this:

- (optional) If you allready have apps installed, from an adb shell do this: "# a2sd remove" (This sets a flag to tell it to not have apps on sdcard, not doing this will make you have to reinstall all your apps. On a fresh install with no extra apps installed this is not needed).

- Used this clockwork recovery (ext3 support in kernel): http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1501261

- Created partition with clockwork, but no swap.

- Formatted partition in clockwork.

- Booted into android

- If you did the first step you need to do an "# a2sd reinstall"

Edited by kallt_kaffe

Guest Stryke69

Damn, and I'm back with the android.process.acore force close after rebooting the phone. I will try to sort that out and will inform you, just in case anybody else has this problem. btw, the com.google.prozess.gapps process does a force close from time to time too...

Edited by Stryke69

I have the same problem and see that im not alone. I can get the phone to run 768 mhz in both quadrant and cpu-stress test, from here it was stable for a day until it crashed in the menu. I Clocked it down to 748 and same story there (It crashed when i was typing an sms). Im now running in 729 mhz and have been running so for almost a day without hickups (crossed fingers). It would just be fun to know what it is that make the phone crash (and maybe prevent it :) ). I read that someone had try to not clock the bus without result. Any other ideas?

Thank you for a very good rom kallt_kaffe!

Guest socialworker

One more observation about battery drain:

Left it at 71% yesterday at 7:31pm at work (actually forgot to take it with me).

This morning (well, actually 10:09am) it was down to 9%.

So I'm pretty sure something does drain the battery in standby, it couldn't have been doing much more than lying around.

I'm using oh!dougal's setcpu settings with 122/710 clocks.

I'll be testing the 'no ahb-overclocking' version today.

Guest Movisman

Left it at 71% yesterday at 7:31pm at work (actually forgot to take it with me).

So I'm pretty sure something does drain the battery in standby, it couldn't have been doing much more than lying around.

I'm using oh!dougal's setcpu settings with 122/710 clocks.

I'll be testing the 'no ahb-overclocking' version today.

Hmm, interesting.

Today, I pulled the phone from charge at 9am on 122/672 setting, with no ahb-overclocking at 600mhz or below, so we'll see how that goes. It should only overclock when it hits 672mhz.

Then tomorrow morning i'll bring it down to 600mhz, so there is no ahb-overclocking happening at all. I'll see if there is any major difference between the two.

@kalt_kaffe

could you plz upload your changed version of the touchpal keyboard? killed it cause of adding german lang pack =\

titanium backup wont install it again and any other version just causes problems or is too small in landscape mode

and if its possible, could you add a qwertz layout? got an apk of the actual version if you need it

thx a lot

Guest oh!dougal

Yes, but its either something you have added {I can't even guess, but does your phone wake on pressing the front buttons - that shows its not really asleep}, or something you have set {gps on? MyTracks running? some music? - I can only guess}, or some process that has gone wrong and refused to sit quietly {curable by a power down and reboot}.

Its NOT characteristic of this ROM.

Mine is still showing 100% after 3 and a half hours of standby, since unplugging from its overnight charge.

Guest socialworker

Hm... except the 'syncing' and therefore data connection on everything else was off.

It doesn't wake up by anything but the power button.

I was using BladeVillain before and am pretty sure that it performed better in standby, i.e. a nights sleep (6-8h) was only ~5% battery drain.

Nothing scientific, just my observation. Testing non-ahb-oc version now.

Guest oh!dougal
Hm... except the 'syncing' and therefore data connection on everything else was off.

I do have Mobile Data ("Network") set to 'off' today.

Phone still showing 100% (almost 4 hours after coming off charge).

Been in standby apart from a couple of quick checks.

To be honest I have not tried A2SD in RLS3 but I tried it in RLS2 and I did this:

- (optional) If you allready have apps installed, from an adb shell do this: "# a2sd remove" (This sets a flag to tell it to not have apps on sdcard, not doing this will make you have to reinstall all your apps. On a fresh install with no extra apps installed this is not needed).

- Used this clockwork recovery (ext3 support in kernel): http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1501261

- Created partition with clockwork, but no swap.

- Formatted partition in clockwork.

- Booted into android

- If you did the first step you need to do an "# a2sd reinstall"

im sure your steps will work, i had a feeling using gpartd to format then format within clockwork was a waste, but i was following like 3 different tutorials lol, just a question though, after a2sd is intalled, any apps that i install later, will they automatically be installed to sd or do i have to move them using the command in terminal?

@social worker, i have flashed the no-ahb overclocking file, in set cpu i have 672-245 on conservative, and under advanced iv used the settings oh!dougal provided in this thread, at 4am this morning i had 50% battery life, i switched off wifi 3g, closed all apps still running in background, then went to sleep, woke up at 1pm, and it had dropped by only 2% to 48%....so maybe you do actually have an app preventing your phone from sleeping, maybe its flash notify or something like that?

also i need some help, kalt_kaffe says disabling the automatic screen orientation setting and automatic brightness should help, i have disabled automatic brightness, but i need the orientation setting, if i disable it, how can i flip the screen manually? i dont see any button, thanks

Guest oh!dougal

also i need some help, kalt_kaffe says disabling the automatic screen orientation setting and automatic brightness should help, i have disabled automatic brightness, but i need the orientation setting, if i disable it, how can i flip the screen manually? i dont see any button, thanks

Dunno!

BUT I think that disabling the constant checking of those sensors isn't going to add greatly to the energy consumption. But every little helps...!

In SetCPU I've put in a couple of 'Profiles'

If the Battery level is less than (my choice of) 31%

Then set max speed to 600 (so no bus overclock either), min 122 as usual, and scaling to 'Powersave'

--- if the battery is low, lets stay standard or even more battery-concious, speed isn't so important.

If the screen is off

Then adopt those same energy saving settings.

--- standard performance should be fine for music-playing and making calls, during both of which the screen could be off. I don't need any more performance than standard when the screen is off.

I'm delighted with the speed, battery-efficiency AND control that kk's rom gives me.

Fantastic!

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest PeterDreher

Still have RLS2

Sometimes automatic brightness is working sometimes it don't.

Same is with the proximity sensor.

Both not working at the same time. And both are working, if they are working.

Guest kallt_kaffe
Still have RLS2

RLS3 uses a different sensor lib than RLS2. There is a chance that going to RLS3 will fix those issues.

Guest oh!dougal
Still have RLS2

Did you change the sensor library as suggested a few pages ago?

R3 has it changed in the distribution.

thanks for the information about the profiles, i will put them into my phone right away! just a question though, is it safe to put the minimum to 122? is there such a thing as underclocking too much? i ask cause i read somewhere zte default was 245 and while they may not know what they are doing lol maybe there is a reason? my phone is quite crap to be honest, can overclock only to 672, so maybe i shouldnt play around with it too much, or what do you think? should i just use 122 as minimum?

@peter, maybe you should upgrade to RLS3, its amazing, i left pauls 2.2 for this rom, :)

Edited by kag8

Guest PeterDreher
Did you change the sensor library as suggested a few pages ago?

R3 has it changed in the distribution.

So this is normal with RLS2? Alot of people have these issues?

I will go and check a few pages back if this is really true. EDIT: Can't find it!

I would love to use RSL3 but read the power cosumtion is really bad. Was all fine in RSL2. Not so happy that i would have to install ever APP again just for RSL3.

Thanks a lot oh!dougal and kallt_kaffe

Edited by PeterDreher

@kalt_kaffe

could you plz upload your changed version of the touchpal keyboard? killed it cause of adding german lang pack =\

titanium backup wont install it again and any other version just causes problems or is too small in landscape mode

and if its possible, could you add a qwertz layout? got an apk of the actual version if you need it

thx a lot

can anyone help me with this?

got the new one with the chinese name, but i liked the roms keyboard way more than that (bigger keys)

Guest Movisman
If the Battery level is less than (my choice of) 31%

Then set max speed to 600 (so no bus overclock either), min 122 as usual, and scaling to 'Powersave'

--- if the battery is low, lets stay standard or even more battery-concious, speed isn't so important.

If the screen is off

Then adopt those same energy saving settings.

Hi,

From here:

http://www.pokedev.com/setcpu/#7

It says the 'powersave' option will keep the CPU running at the "min" set value at all times?

Cheers