CyanogenMod 0.40 flashable performance zip

Guest AntonioPT

For those of you who can't use a OC kernel because it bootloops, here's a version of this zip without any OC kernel:

CM0.40-performance-no-oc-signed.zip

Mirror: CM0.40-performance-no-oc-signed.zip

I don't know if this has been covered yet (because I haven't gotten all the way though this thread), but the 710 kernel bootloops for me, but the 691 works just perfectly.

Guest varelasaraiva

Obrigado AntonioPT.

I installed this zip after flashing CM6 0.4 for the first time and I have the following issues:

- wifi bug doesn't seem to be fixed; still gets stuck scanning after sleep.

- don't seem to be using mobile data, 2g or 3g; whenever wifi is off, every app complains with connection error, etc.

- Never got a 3g connection.

Otherwise, great job.

Many thanks

I don't know if this has been covered yet (because I haven't gotten all the way though this thread), but the 710 kernel bootloops for me, but the 691 works just perfectly.

same for me here. 710 bootloops, and I haven't tried 691MHz, coz I did not user .30 rom previusly. However, it will be great if someone makes a 691 performance pack for .40!

thanks!

Edited by zharko

same for me here. 710 bootloops, and I haven't tried 691MHz, coz I did not user .30 rom previusly. However, it will be great if someone makes a 691 performance pack for .40!

thanks!

Actually, it's simple to do that already. Just flash the stand-alone 691 kernel and then flash the no-oc version linked in the first post. It achieves exactly the same result as what you want.

Personally I saw very little boost in performance over what I had already. I had enabled jit and had increased the heap size already (both are doable through settings in the CM rom). So when I added the hardware acceleration and installed libGLES_qcom.so and gralloc.msm7k, I sometimes got a very, very small boost or very, very small decline in performance in Linpack score. YMMV, but I found the OC kernel and jit to be the biggest performance boosters so far for me.

Edited by twrock

Actually, it's simple to do that already. Just flash the stand-alone 691 kernel and then flash the no-oc version linked in the first post. It achieves exactly the same result as what you want.

Personally I saw very little boost in performance over what I had already. I had enabled jit and had increased the heap size already (both are doable through settings in the CM rom). So when I added the hardware acceleration and installed libGLES_qcom.so and gralloc.msm7k, I sometimes got a very, very small boost or very, very small decline in performance in Linpack score. YMMV, but I found the OC kernel and jit to be the biggest performance boosters so far for me.

by stand-alone 691 kernel you mean: CM6_0.3.oc691_signed ? thank you very much for the reply, i will try this as soon as I get confirmation from you.

br.

a.

by stand-alone 691 kernel you mean: CM6_0.3.oc691_signed ? thank you very much for the reply, i will try this as soon as I get confirmation from you.

br.

a.

Yes, that should do it. But of course, always make a nandroid backup first!

Edit: And you will probably want to get SetCPU if that OC kernel will work for you. That way you can make all the adjustments you want to how that kernel runs.

Edited by twrock

Yes, that should do it. But of course, always make a nandroid backup first!

Edit: And you will probably want to get SetCPU if that OC kernel will work for you. That way you can make all the adjustments you want to how that kernel runs.

okay i did it. some of the gusy on this forum helped as well. its ok now, setCPU shows 691MHz, and the phone did not rebooted so far. thought, as you said, you cant feel a difference in the performance. ;)

thanks!

cheers.

a.

okay i did it. some of the gusy on this forum helped as well. its ok now, setCPU shows 691MHz, and the phone did not rebooted so far. thought, as you said, you cant feel a difference in the performance. ;)

thanks!

cheers.

a.

IIRC, the 691 kernel runs at 614 by default. So the percentage increase is not "huge" (over 528). However, it is a boost that you can see in something like Linpack. What I really like about an OC kernel with SetCPU is that I can set up profiles and throttle the CPU way down for certain situations ("profiles"), like having it drop way down while the screen is off or the battery gets low. No point in having the CPU running wild all of the time. :P

Guest AntonioPT
Obrigado AntonioPT.

I installed this zip after flashing CM6 0.4 for the first time and I have the following issues:

- wifi bug doesn't seem to be fixed; still gets stuck scanning after sleep.

- don't seem to be using mobile data, 2g or 3g; whenever wifi is off, every app complains with connection error, etc.

- Never got a 3g connection.

Otherwise, great job.

Many thanks

Try installing "APN Portugal" from the market. Your 3G problem may be an APN problem.

Guest AntonioPT
So enabling hardware acceleration help in specific software (e.g. games) or just improving the phone performance in general?

What does libGLES_qcom.so and gralloc.msm7k do??

If I am correct, those files are the OpenGL drivers (more recent than those who come with stock CM 0.40).

Guest AntonioPT

libGLES and gralloc are the OpenGL drivers, and Linpack is a CPU-only benchmark. You'll probably see a difference in Quadrant, in games or in actually using the phone :P.

+1, OC and JIT FTW ;)

Guest varelasaraiva
Try installing "APN Portugal" from the market. Your 3G problem may be an APN problem.

Yes, you were right. Actually, I'm on O2 UK which is supported out of the box.

Thanks a lot.

libGLES and gralloc are the OpenGL drivers, and Linpack is a CPU-only benchmark. You'll probably see a difference in Quadrant, in games or in actually using the phone :P.

+1, OC and JIT FTW ;)

That's good to know. Thanks for that explanation.

In your experience (and in whatever benchmark might show it), is the increase "significant" with those additions? Is there any negative, such as increased battery usage?

I never got Richard's mod to work well with my necessary tweaks, so I restored my 0.3 backup and updated to Tom's 0.4 (without a wipe), deleted RomManager out of ROM, reflashed the 691 kernel, DT Apps2SD and Chinese handwriting, and I'm back in business. (I still have to do a bit of file editing, but that got me pretty close to everything I had before.) One funny thing was that even before reflashing DTa2sd, my sd apps were working just fine after the 0.4 update.

But here's what was most interesting to me though. I lost the third-party apps I had installed in ROM when I flashed Tom's latest update, but I didn't seem to lose any of the Gapps (at least none that I can think of). I wonder where that is built into the update system, not to delete Gapps. I'm guessing that is part of the CyanogenMod setup, to make sure none of the Google apps get deleted when people install that rom. But I'd like to hear confirmation on that.

I noticed this in build.prop (here and in Tom's rom), and it seems strange to me:

rild.libargs=-d

/dev/smd0

Is that really right? Granted I don't know much, but in other roms I've looked at, that is all on one line. Maybe it works as-is? Maybe it's inconsequential? I dunno.

Some googling led to an explanation that this is part of initializing the Radio Layer Interface:

RIL Initialization

Android initializes the telephony stack and the Vendor RIL at startup as described in the sequence below:

1. RIL daemon reads rild.lib path and rild.libargs system properties to determine the Vendor RIL library to use and any initialization arguments to provide to the Vendor RIL

2. RIL daemon loads the Vendor RIL library and calls RIL_Init to initialize the RIL and obtain a reference to RIL functions

3. RIL daemon calls RIL_register on the Android telephony stack, providing a reference to the Vendor RIL functions

I have no idea what that means, but I think I'll just correct it anyway, ;)

Guest varelasaraiva
I noticed this in build.prop (here and in Tom's rom), and it seems strange to me:

rild.libargs=-d

/dev/smd0

Is that really right? Granted I don't know much, but in other roms I've looked at, that is all on one line. Maybe it works as-is? Maybe it's inconsequential? I dunno.

Some googling led to an explanation that this is part of initializing the Radio Layer Interface:

I have no idea what that means, but I think I'll just correct it anyway, ;)

Yeah I got the same. Just made a quick google search and the correct form is rild.libargs=-d /dev/smd0

Notice any difference?

Edited by varelasaraiva

Yeah I got the same. Just made a quick google search and the correct form is rild.libargs=-d /dev/smd0

Notice any difference?

Not sure yet. I've been doing a lot of different experimentation over the last 24 hours, so I can't be sure that correction did anything at all.

I was hoping someone who really knows what all that means could come along and tell us what difference it makes.

Edited by twrock

Guest AntonioPT
Don't work in my huawei 8320...restarting all the time...:)

I also have a U8230 (TMN a1) and it works just fine...

Try flashing the no-oc version (see first post), because the 710MHz kernel bootloops for some people.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Neodiamond

Hello everyone!

I have a little concern, the U8220 is my first Android phone, and I dont know how runs the system aswell, my last phone was an iPhone 3G and the system is a litte more fluid and faster than my Pulse.

It comes with 2.1 version of Android and inmediately I installed the CyanogenMod 6 port v0.4, but it feels a little bit slow, when I move in the menus it feels with a little lag, the menu of application feels sluggish, but sincerely I dont know if this is normal or I made something wrong. I made a wipe data before I install the modified rom and the gapps-pulse-20101020-signed.zip, and then this performance zip, it feels a little more faster but i think the phone can do it better.

So the description I made above about how I feel the phone is normal, or i missing something?

Thanks in advance, regards.