2.3 for San Fran

Guest olionair

I think once we get a proper dump of the Nexus S rom with symlinks etc we might be able to get some useful stuff from that.

A dump from a real device should help to progress things further. The Nexus S rom will be useful, but as other have pointed out it is very different hardware so parts of it won't work. I am hopeful that audio will be possible with it, but probably not.

As for the kernel issues, the 2.6.29 kernel should work perfectly well in both froyo and gingerbread. A newer kernel would be nice and I have been playing with kernels recently (its an area I've never had much success in), so hopefully we can move to newer source soon.

I will put my 2.6.29 source up on github, but all changes I have made are already posted in this thread (there is only a few changes, and most are from kallt_kaffe).

Someone asked about the RIL problems I have had and how I fixed them in other roms. The problem is that the phone will not connect to networks, the radio works enough to find the networks but it fails to connect (I suspect a SIM related problem). I have not been able to fix the problem in any of my roms, which is why I haven't made a CM6 rom available.

Once the gingerbread source is available I expect is should only take a few hours to build a mostly working rom, but until a solution is found for the RIL problem it will not be very usable.

Guest fonix232
A dump from a real device should help to progress things further. The Nexus S rom will be useful, but as other have pointed out it is very different hardware so parts of it won't work. I am hopeful that audio will be possible with it, but probably not.

As for the kernel issues, the 2.6.29 kernel should work perfectly well in both froyo and gingerbread. A newer kernel would be nice and I have been playing with kernels recently (its an area I've never had much success in), so hopefully we can move to newer source soon.

I will put my 2.6.29 source up on github, but all changes I have made are already posted in this thread (there is only a few changes, and most are from kallt_kaffe).

Someone asked about the RIL problems I have had and how I fixed them in other roms. The problem is that the phone will not connect to networks, the radio works enough to find the networks but it fails to connect (I suspect a SIM related problem). I have not been able to fix the problem in any of my roms, which is why I haven't made a CM6 rom available.

Once the gingerbread source is available I expect is should only take a few hours to build a mostly working rom, but until a solution is found for the RIL problem it will not be very usable.

Then it's great, let's create a main branch for the ZTE kernel, where we will gather all dev's branch (like, a main branch, what COMPILES, but does not have any addition like touch-pressure-sensitivity, etc, and the sub-branches for all devs, where they can make their own modifications for it, and when people need it, they simply change to their branch), or even better, not just the kernel, but the whole AOSP tree-diff (so all the Blade-related stuff, recovery, build target device info, etc).

I agree, we need to run a git diff, but first we have to determine which commit was used by ZTE.

Tom G, would you be so kind to do a bit of work, and create a new beta ROM from the Nexus S dump? I may help if you need!

Guest HCDR.Jacob
We do not have to ask Cyanogen team, there are many other great kernel porters (like pershoot) to help us. But maybe making a diff to the mainstream 2.6.29 branch of the original android source code (somewhere must be a revision info, what contains which one is the one used for the ZTE kernel), and applying the patches manually would make something barely usable.

Pershoot is in the Cyanogen team. Just sayin'

Anyway, nobody will be insterested in porting a kernel for a device they don't have, it's hard enough when you have the device (I'm trying to port the gingerbread kernel to Wildfire with no success so far).

Gingerbread will run fine on the kernel you have atm anyway :)

Guest heavyduty00

sorry what is CyanogenMod? :/

since it is going ot be on android open source, does that mean it makes it easier to get gingerbread on san francisco??!?

Guest Frankish

CyanogenMod is only the biggest custom rom for about a hundred devices. It's stock Froyo only better. Total brightness control, menu to unlock, long press volume buttons to skip music track, display music controls on lockscreen...and tons more i can't list the improvements.

And yes it should be possible for someone clever like Tom G to build at least a decent partially working build.

CyanogenMod is only the biggest custom rom for about a hundred devices. It's stock Froyo only better. Total brightness control, menu to unlock, long press volume buttons to skip music track, display music controls on lockscreen...and tons more i can't list the improvements.

And yes it should be possible for someone clever like Tom G to build at least a decent partially working build.

What is very important, Cyanogen has its own kernel. Cyanogen can run on different kernels however.

Since our device is based on a CPU supported by AOSP, it might not be impossible to port the kernel (also the Cyanogen kernel) to Blade, but let's see Gingerbread source first.

Guest fonix232
What is very important, Cyanogen has its own kernel. Cyanogen can run on different kernels however.

Since our device is based on a CPU supported by AOSP, it might not be impossible to port the kernel (also the Cyanogen kernel) to Blade, but let's see Gingerbread source first.

It was never impossible, we just simply need the changes ZTE did to their repo, and apply them to an AOSP kernel. After it, we can even have USB hosting, etc!

Downloading now which will take hours. Hopefully I will have something working by tonight (its morning here), but don't expect everything working anytime soon. As I said before RIL will still be a problem.

The CodeAurora code will generally work with less modification (it has qualcomm's modifications included) but they don't have a 2.3 branch yet.

Guest markusj
Downloading now which will take hours. Hopefully I will have something working by tonight (its morning here), but don't expect everything working anytime soon. As I said before RIL will still be a problem.

The CodeAurora code will generally work with less modification (it has qualcomm's modifications included) but they don't have a 2.3 branch yet.

You are the man :)

Do you got any more details on the issue with ril?

Iam going to look at porting cyanogenmod to zte blade when i have time. When i compiled cm6 for samsung i5700 i solved a rild issue by using a binary rild from a 2.1 rom. I dont know if thats the issue here, but thought it was worth a note.

Guest PsychoChimp

Surely if there isn't even an AOSP build of 2.2 (unless I've missed one!), then how can we expect to see a working AOSP 2.3?

Am I right in thinking this is because ZTE haven't released the kernel source?

Chimp

Surely if there isn't even an AOSP build of 2.2 (unless I've missed one!), then how can we expect to see a working AOSP 2.3?

Am I right in thinking this is because ZTE haven't released the kernel source?

Chimp

Magic/Fairies.

Guest fonix232

I may help you, if you will be so kind to share the changes you make to the main branch (to an own git repo maybe, definitely not a set of patches!).

Also I am sure that tomorrow (in 12 hours, or so) there will be a CodeAurora branch too :)

Magic/Fairies.

Or simply the fact we have to wait at least 6 months to get our hands on the beta. After seeing the incompetence of ZTE in such things as releasing kernel source, etc, I am sure we won't even get the main priority in getting Froyo.

EDIT(02:16 GMT):

Gingerbread source is now finally available through their Repo system. Jean-Baptiste just confirmed it!

Edited by fonix232

Here is my first attempt. blade-gingerbread-aosp-0.1.zip

Sound is still not working. I suspect it is partially working (see pulse 2.3 thread, both use the same libaudio code), but since RIL doesn't work I can't test it.

The screen is inverted at boot. It has actually been flipped in the code, but still comes up inverted at boot. If you run an app that changes orientation (eg. Camera), it will flip the correct way. I will find a better solution.

This is very early and has a lot of problems, so don't expect it to work and don't expect all the bugs fixed any time soon.

It is now running on the 2.6.32 kernel from the leaked chinese roms.

As for the comment about no AOSP 2.2 rom, there have been several but none have been released. As far as I know none had working RIL which is the main reason I havent released any of my blade roms. The problem with releasing roms that don't fully work is that people try to use them and then complain.

Guest hecatae
As for the comment about no AOSP 2.2 rom, there have been several but none have been released. As far as I know none had working RIL which is the main reason I havent released any of my blade roms. The problem with releasing roms that don't fully work is that people try to use them and then complain.

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-san-francisco/

V0.2 Release notes

-------------------

- A cleaner build from 2.2.1 AOSP sources (kernel & some lib dependencies are retained from the Chinese 2.2 leak)

somehow Stackrish managed it, :) thank you for the 2.3 test build, I'll play with it later