Dell new official rom 8-12-2010

Guest jeffrey2000

Guest vinnie536
Someone please help me with that. Fards tweaks do i have to just copy the files and replace the other ones with root explorer or do i have to do something else?

I asked the very same question a couple of nights ago an got no response, seems that if your a newbie your not worthy. Anyway installed updated firmware ,no problems what so ever 30 hrs on one charge -average use calls,texts emails,browsing etc facebooking on 3g or wifi so feeling like dell have at last made this phone / tablet what it should be :-)

Guest adzman808
I asked the very same question a couple of nights ago an got no response, seems that if your a newbie your not worthy. Anyway installed updated firmware ,no problems what so ever 30 hrs on one charge -average use calls,texts emails,browsing etc facebooking on 3g or wifi so feeling like dell have at last made this phone / tablet what it should be :-)

you can use adb to push the files

(no i dont know how to that either)

if u overwrite the files using root expl then it'll achieve the same thing...

you may have to change the file perms first (using root expl)

you'll need superoneclick to root the device (z4 n androot wont work), you find this on xda

type superoneclick into google & the xda post should be 1st link...

i'm noob too + i'm a droid idiot (a droididiot ?!!)

& i ahven't done ANY of what i've posted above, i was gonna, but i got that "don't spending all day fcukin about wi ya phone" look from my g/f, so it'll have to wait

hth? (its honest at least)

not sure that 'noob not worthy' comment is completely warrented... perhaps someone missed it (threads move on fast, ppl reside in diff time zones) also those clever dev type chaps do have other lives, children, jobs, endless PMs, spend time on irc & it's not like they have to help us, it's not their job.

if you're unsure about something don't do it - you wouldn't service the brakes on your car if you weren't 100% sure of what u were doing, or would you?

Guest Ed Venture
Someone please help me with that. Fards tweaks do i have to just copy the files and replace the other ones with root explorer or do i have to do something else?

There are a couple ways of doing this:

(1) ADB push

(2) Root Explorer copy

ADB push requires you to copy the files to your devices from the command line on your computer (which isn't all that hard, but can be confusing if you've never done it), while Root Explorer copy is fairly straight forward. Regardless of your approach, you need to have root access. The generally accepted tool for this version is Super One Click, which is found here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682

Just be sure to grab the latest version which is 1.5.5. It is pretty straight forward. When I did mine, it gave me a blank screen after reboot (not even a Dell logo) so I pulled the battery and rebooted and I was good to go. I mention this just in case this happens to you - there is no need to worry.

Once rooted, I applied the tweaks with Root Explorer. Before I copied the files over, I made a backup of all the original files in case I wanted to go back or reference the changes. For example I copied the original build.prop and saved it in the same directory as build.prop.ORIGINAL. By the way, don't be alarmed if some of the files don't exist on your device already. The new files are put there by Fards and are called by tweaks in some of the other files.

Anyway - just copy the appropriate files from the same directory path in the zip file to the same path from the root path of you device. Once they are copied over, reboot and you should be good to go.

Ed

Edited by Ed Venture

Guest Ed Venture

I know that some have been asking if you can get to this ROM if you are on a stock, locked US AT&T 1.6 streak. It seems that there hasn't been a straight forward answer thrown out there because most people flashing this ROM are coming from O2 2.1 or Steve's Streakdroid. Well - the short answer is yes you can.

Here's how I did it:

NOTE: There may be a shorter way, but I had success with this method. I tried copying the Update.pkg over to the root of the SD card, flashing Fards 309 recovery.img, and then reboot to recovery and flash. The problem is that recovery never came up - just a blank screen. So, I did a factory reset and tried again and had the same result, so I just went the long way around as described below. I am sure I didn't have to go all the way to O2 2.1, but it was worth the extra 10 minutes to have the piece of mind knowing that others had success from this starting point.

First, familiarize yourself with homies Upgrading and Downgrading guide. You can find it here:

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...ing-the-streak/

Next, you will also need the Android-SDK so you can get the Fastboot tool necessary for flashing the the recovery files for each step. You can find that here:

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

To start, just follow his directions step-by-step to get all the way to O2 2.1. Once you are up to O2 2.1, you are ready to make the jump to 2.2 318. First download the recovery.img file that Fards put up. You can find it here in the first post:

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...recovery-image/

Then Download the 2.2 318 package found here on the first post:

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...-rom-8-12-2010/

Once you have all that downloaded here is the process:

(1) Unzip the recovery.img file you downloaded and put it in the android-sdk-windows\tools sub directory directory (I put mine at the root of C:, but regardless put it in the tools sub directory of the SDK wherever you unzipped it).

(2) Rename the PKG file to Update.pkg (just like homies guide) and put it in the root of your SD card.

(3) Reboot your Streak into Fastboot mode (again, just like homies guide).

(4) Fastboot load the recovery.img by opening a command prompt and running the following commands (this assumes that your Android SDK is in the root of C: like I did)

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>fastboot -i 0x413c flash recovery recovery.img

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>fastboot -i 0x413c reboot

(5) Reboot your phone into recovery mode like you did in the homies guide (hold down both volume keys on boot) and select upgrade from package.

That should be it!

Good luck!

Ed

Guest Sotiris Lekkas

I've done everything with root explorer but now i can't connect to my wifi. I get obtaining address but it wont connect.

Any ideas? This is the second time a post about this but no one seems to care answering me.

Edit: both my wifi and 3G can connect(not simultaneously) but no websites open. i cannot even complete the quadrant test because it cant get online to get the results.

PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE ANSWER ME SOMEONE.

Tell me to go fck my self but please have the courtesy to show that at least you are reading my posts and I'm not writing to my self.

Edited by Sotiris Lekkas

Guest Ed Venture
I've done everything with root explorer but now i can't connect to my wifi. I get obtaining address but it wont connect.

Any ideas? This is the second time a post about this but no one seems to care answering me.

Edit: both my wifi and 3G can connect(not simultaneously) but no websites open. i cannot even complete the quadrant test because it cant get online to get the results.

PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE ANSWER ME SOMEONE.

Tell me to go fck my self but please have the courtesy to show that at least you are reading my posts and I'm not writing to my self.

I have not experienced that problem. Did you backup the files before copying over? Can you revert back to see if the tweaks are the problem?

Guest Sotiris Lekkas
I have not experienced that problem. Did you backup the files before copying over? Can you revert back to see if the tweaks are the problem?

Yes, i placed back the original files and it works fine but i want to use the modified ones.

Guest MrGPhantome
I've not seen anyone mention it yet except you, which is why I suspected a mis flash, have you installed any 3rd party apps that could do it, or restored a titanium backup that may have over written some libs our settings?

I have not used any back up software, and I followed the instructions to a T.

It wouldn't bother me so much if I could lock to device into portrait though. Does anyone know how I can do that?

Thanks to Ed Venture I got my ATT 1.6 fresh out of box to this latest build. Not a single issue. I did have a few stupid fastboot issues looking for some .dll files but found the answer on the forum quickly. I went from ATT 1.6 to O2 1.6 to O2 2.1 to this build.

The only issue I have is when configured with an Exchange account, the lock screen is hard to use in landscape and buttons are super small. Sadly the pattern option is not available to me, seems to disabled with exchange. Hopefully someone is able to fix the the keyboard.

Thanks again Ed!!

Guest toyfreak

I have been running a clean installation of the 318_00 build since it was released (on a locked AT&T US Streak unlocked with an AT&T-supplied unlock code). Here are my bugs:

1. Orientation gets stuck upside-down seemingly when coming out of a call where phone was reoriented during call like maybe switched from one hand to the other but I have nit verified this

2. Image is reversed when taking photos with front cam

3. Front cam does not work in Fring

I can't think of any others at the moment; I'll update if I do.

Guest Sotiris Lekkas

Thanks a lot for not helping me Fards. I was removing all the files one by one and i realized that only one file was causing the no internet problem. I removed it and left all the others in place and now it works. Does someone know what this file does and why it will cause my internet to stop working?

Guest ashdragon
Thanks a lot for not helping me Fards.

With that attitude you are lucky you get any sort of response from anyone, or at least anything polite in any case.

I was removing all the files one by one and i realized that only one file was causing the no internet problem. I removed it and left all the others in place and now it works. Does someone know what this file does and why it will cause my internet to stop working?

Now..it will help if you actually mention WHICH file is causing you the issues.... please note I am offering some help so any sort of smart#rse response will see the end of that as well.

Guest adzman808
Thanks a lot for not helping me Fards. I was removing all the files one by one and i realized that only one file was causing the no internet problem. I removed it and left all the others in place and now it works. Does someone know what this file does and why it will cause my internet to stop working?

which file was the culprit?

Guest adzman808
I have been running a clean installation of the 318_00 build since it was released (on a locked AT&T US Streak unlocked with an AT&T-supplied unlock code). Here are my bugs:

1. Orientation gets stuck upside-down seemingly when coming out of a call where phone was reoriented during call like maybe switched from one hand to the other but I have nit verified this

2. Image is reversed when taking photos with front cam

3. Front cam does not work in Fring

I can't think of any others at the moment; I'll update if I do.

1 - that's a new one, i think... not had this on any of dj_steve's builds

2 - yeah they all do that (the f cam works like a mirror) pic say from market has a flip option

3 - yeah this is fring's issue, not dell's / dj_steve's 1.1.1 & 1.5 roms work with fring, but not the f cam - so its a case of chosing one function or the other

Guest Sotiris Lekkas
With that attitude you are lucky you get any sort of response from anyone, or at least anything polite in any case.

Now..it will help if you actually mention WHICH file is causing you the issues.... please note I am offering some help so any sort of smart#rse response will see the end of that as well.

Dude you are being too hard on me for no reason. If you looked further back you would see that i have posted many times without getting a response. Don't you think this is not polite? Me wasting my time typing with no one even answering me?

I guess manners only apply to us simple users. Fards or someone else could have just answered that they are too busy at the moment to help me and of-course i would had waited and appreciated the fact that they even bothered answering me.

Do you still think i am not polite?

Anyways i thank all of you for the help and in return everything i learn here i share it in Greek forums and spend hours in translating so we can spread the word and make android phones more popular.

I was so upset that i had posted 5 times and got no response that i forgot to mention the file name:-). The file that i removed is local.prop. With the rest of the files i saw a quadrant raise to 1300 from 750 but my battery still sucks.

Guest toyfreak
Dude you are being too hard on me for no reason. If you looked further back you would see that i have posted many times without getting a response. Don't you think this is not polite? Me wasting my time typing with no one even answering me?

I guess manners only apply to us simple users. Fards or someone else could have just answered that they are too busy at the moment to help me and of-course i would had waited and appreciated the fact that they even bothered answering me.

Do you still think i am not polite?

Anyways i thank all of you for the help and in return everything i learn here i share it in Greek forums and spend hours in translating so we can spread the word and make android phones more popular.

I was so upset that i had posted 5 times and got no response that i forgot to mention the file name:-). The file that i removed is local.prop. With the rest of the files i saw a quadrant raise to 1300 from 750 but my battery still sucks.

I have been following your writings in this thread and I can see why others have been hesitant to offer help. I suggest a little patience on your part because nobody is obligated to help you here. Do not modify your ROM if you cannot be without your phone if things go wrong.

That having been said, let me offer what help I can... If you navigate bach to the forum topics section you can at least see how how many times your messages are being read so stop baiting beople to reply by complaining nobody is reading your posts. Sorry I can't help you with the rest. Those who get the best help here and places like this earn it by being good community members and you are not off to a good start.

Edited by toyfreak

Tbh with that kind of attitude you can f off! You won't get any help from me in future.

Ive been away for a day or so, spending some time with my kids, which was really needed, in a place with minimal network coverage.

But obviously I forgot im a free always on Demand 24-7 bloody call centre for ungreatful wretches who I've never met who expect me to be at their beck and call no matter what!

I don't do that for friends never mind people who ive never met who have never spoken to me, or tried to be friendly at all.

And if you think I'm being harsh, tbh I am! Next time dont be so rude towards me!

Edited by fards

Guest Sotiris Lekkas
Tbh with that kind of attitude you can f off! You won't get any help from me in future.

Ive been away for a day or so, spending some time with my kids, which was really needed, in a place with minimal network coverage.

But obviously I forgot im a free always on Demand 24-7 bloody call centre for ungreatful wretches who I've never met who expect me to be at their beck and call no matter what!

I don't do that for friends never mind people who ive never met who have never spoken to me, or tried to be friendly at all.

And if you think I'm being harsh, tbh I am! Next time dont be so rude towards me!

Dude I'm sorry but i didn't say or demand anything. I have two kids as well and i know how precious your time is. Maybe my English is not good enough to express my self but i didn't want anyone to help me asap. I did post many times and never got an answer.

It's OK if you don't want to help me. There's nothing i can do about it. I really appreciate all your hard work because if you look here http://www.myphone.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=278244 you will realize that i spent hours helping others that don't know good English. I even get in skype with total strangers because they are too newbies and they need my help. Read my previous posts and you will see that i protest politely. When i post a fix or a tutorial even if it's not mine i feel obliged to help someone that read my post. It is my post and my recommendation so they feel that I'm supposed to help even if it is not supposed to be like that. So if i leave for the weekend i do mention it so people don't expect an answer from me.

Again no one is obliging anybody to do anything so what ever you have to offer is really appreciated. The reason i wanted to get over with this fix is that after i knew exactly how it works i would make a nice translated step by step tutorial so other would use your fix.

Again i apologize .

Guest Texaspledge

I have to say that this release with Fards tweaks is pure bliss! I don't know what to do with myself now that the phone is working without problems. It was god even without the performance tweak even but that's just icing on the cake.

I'm on an Att locked streak by the way.

Guest zAm1987

Have to thank fards, too :)

Just copied the files over to my streak (except the local.prop) and now i have quadrant scores at ~1400.

I'm not sure whether to copy the local.prop too, because somebody here in this thread seemed to have problems with it.

Can somebody explain me, what the local.pro tweaks actually do?

Although I'm not an expert, i'm always interested in the technical side of stuff and how it works :)

Guest ashdragon
Read my previous posts and you will see that i protest politely.

Other than the bit about the "Thanks for NOT helping me" I don't think anyone has too much to complain about with your posts. That bit came across as very sarcastic and rude to me, possibly unintentionally.

Anyway that's enough of that, moving on.

The local.prop file probably really isn't needed for most people. It just seems to be the cause of a few problems. Fards mentions as much in his post on page 4.

From what Fards mentions here it has some media tweaks and some tweaks that may help people on certain types of data networks with a speed increase ( that bit won't help the speed of the phone though so this file isn't essential)

The other files though are needed , and without the local.prop seem to result in a nice stable phone that benchmarks pretty decently when compared to the stock build, at least for me anyway.

The Battery improvements are in the sysctl.conf file however you also must replace the init.streak.post_boot.sh file as without this file the sysctl.conf file will not get called (activated) and therefore have no effect.

Personally i think the battery tweaks are working fairly well. It's been 24 hours since i last charged mine and I'm at 80% battery with wifi and bluetooth enabled, only light phone use though.

Guest All3gro97
I have to say that this release with Fards tweaks is pure bliss! I don't know what to do with myself now that the phone is working without problems. It was god even without the performance tweak even but that's just icing on the cake.

I'm on an Att locked streak by the way.

Totally 100% agree with this fards you are bloody genius for evey critic read 100 people so grateful you even bother to help people learn about how to customise their streaks and droid. If i got this level of service from my utility providers i would not be swithcing evey six months......and you do this without expecting anything in return.

Guest Sotiris Lekkas
Other than the bit about the "Thanks for NOT helping me" I don't think anyone has too much to complain about with your posts. That bit came across as very sarcastic and rude to me, possibly unintentionally.

Anyway that's enough of that, moving on.

The local.prop file probably really isn't needed for most people. It just seems to be the cause of a few problems. Fards mentions as much in his post on page 4.

From what Fards mentions here it has some media tweaks and some tweaks that may help people on certain types of data networks with a speed increase ( that bit won't help the speed of the phone though so this file isn't essential)

The other files though are needed , and without the local.prop seem to result in a nice stable phone that benchmarks pretty decently when compared to the stock build, at least for me anyway.

The Battery improvements are in the sysctl.conf file however you also must replace the init.streak.post_boot.sh file as without this file the sysctl.conf file will not get called (activated) and therefore have no effect.

Personally i think the battery tweaks are working fairly well. It's been 24 hours since i last charged mine and I'm at 80% battery with wifi and bluetooth enabled, only light phone use though.

Thanks man. Thats all i needed to know. For battery saving how do you have your setup? Do you use any software to help you with this? How about GPS and 3G? do you have those two disabled?