Dell new official rom 8-12-2010

Guest jeffrey2000

Guest adzman808
Did anyone here get this working on an O2 based phone? Getting "FOTA model mismatch." Not 100% sure what to do.

Have you installed the correct recovery image? As i understand it u can't flash the ___.pkg files with clockwork....

Guest rvbarton

I tried this on my Dell Streak after getting the unlock code from AT&T (running 1.6 donut). I borrowed a SIM card from a friend on T-Mobile, unlocked my phone, then tried to install the update.

I renamed it update.pkg and got the FOTA mismatch error.

Sucks. Thought I would be sneaky and get the update quicker than the OTA, whenever it is sent.

Thoughts?

I tried this on my Dell Streak after getting the unlock code from AT&T (running 1.6 donut). I borrowed a SIM card from a friend on T-Mobile, unlocked my phone, then tried to install the update.

I renamed it update.pkg and got the FOTA mismatch error.

Sucks. Thought I would be sneaky and get the update quicker than the OTA, whenever it is sent.

Thoughts?

Here are two options for you.

1. Waiting for AT&T froyo version. It could be released on 2011/1E.

2. Use QDL tool to upgrade to froyo. (The phone will become retail version)

Guest ashdragon
Z4root from market...you can give that a shot

Z4root is no longer available on the Market and the most recent version 1.3.0 doesn't work with this Build anyway.

Guest Oreynid

Has anyone had the issue of the camera app giving the error "can't connect to camera" after applying the tweaks? I applied the build.prop and sysctl tweaks that fards posted earlier. I've tried wiping the dalvik cache, and running fix permissions in the StreakRecovery, to no avail. I'm running 318, and before I applied the tweaks the camera app was usable.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Has anyone had the issue of the camera app giving the error "can't connect to camera" after applying the tweaks? I applied the build.prop and sysctl tweaks that fards posted earlier. I've tried wiping the dalvik cache, and running fix permissions in the StreakRecovery, to no avail. I'm running 318, and before I applied the tweaks the camera app was usable.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Camera works perfectly for me, most likely something else you changed

Guest adzman808

=================

318 + fards tweaks - 2weeks in

==================

on the whole very, very good.

+

robust

all features work as designed

- (ie Minus)

first ever random reboot (never had 1 on Steve's builds, but had a few "battery out*" lock ups)

full of stuff that (eg system/app) doesn't appear to need to be there**

bit laggy & stumbly in operation (kindle page turns, going f-ing fast in ragin thunder etc)

"meh"

dell stage (meh is the kindest thing i believe anyone could say about stage...)

dell sync apps (yes i want to download a 160mb, limited functionality nero product to my pc to help me read the contents of my sd, no really...)

worthless apps unless you're happy to pay (zinio, co pilot etc ~ speaking personally WH Smith & the navigation app makes these additions redundant)

[you can of course sack all this shjt off & if i managed it i know you can]

On the whole?

i actually preffered 1.4.6, but i like everything to be working & that includes usb teth & notification sounds (yes, later Steve builds fix this i know, but i also want the f cam working***)

*well actually a long hold press on pwr button

** based on comparision to same folder location in Steve's builds, NOT my (pathetic) knowledge of 'droid ROMs

*** i'm more likely to take dumb couple type pix of the mrs & me, than have have a video call with her wink:wink, but if i wanted fring i'd be all over 1.5.1 like a bad small over a turd

should we thank dell for this surprisingly good rom?

No.

it's how you'd expect an OEM ROM, working well & full of bloatware - just cos the prev dell efforts were uber t0ss, doesn't mean we need to get dewy eyed cos dell actually hit the target

should we thank Fards for the tweaks?

absolutely.

No Fards tweaks, & you're haemorrhaging 35(ish)% of ur quad score & constantly explaining to ppl that you're not pleased to see them, you just have 4 spare streak batteries in your pocket, in fact you've probably had your c0ck removed to fit all these batts in ur pocket :(

pretty impressed so far...

fards has basically fixed it :(

it's kinda lame w/out his tweaks

i noticed that drm player wasn't worked, but was able to fix it, everything else works fine, so far...

my only tiny gripe (so far) is that the camera has flash off/on & i'm sure (....) that steve's build had on/off/AUTO

which was better...

system/etc/permissions/

Handheld_core_hardware... Camera.flash_auto.xml or camera.auto_flash.xml....

You decide ;) file should be threw just the xml and the file name don't correspond... I'll release a better permissions f folder later if I can, but I'm not on this build at the mo. The o2 one is much much better in every respect...

I'm tempted to release a cleaned deodexed (for skinning) tweaked version of the o2 rom, with optional steves kernel..

Guest synaptic.flaws
system/etc/permissions/

You decide :( file should be threw just the xml and the file name don't correspond... I'll release a better permissions f folder later if I can, but I'm not on this build at the mo. The o2 one is much much better in every respect...

I'm tempted to release a cleaned deodexed (for skinning) tweaked version of the o2 rom, with optional steves kernel..

+1 for the fardsilicious ROM

Guest adzman808
system/etc/permissions/

You decide :( file should be threw just the xml and the file name don't correspond...

i don't really understand this (there's a surprise)

i open the handheld..xml & see the entry

<feature name = android.hardware.camera.flash />

(& the same for auto focus...)

do i change this to .auto_flash.xml

?????

is the file suffix important? the rest of the entries don't have .xml

is this file mod basically caqlling up a different xml from the perms folder, thus enabling auto flash?

The o2 one is much much better in every respect...

can you expend upon this a little please? when o2 (319??) first arrived, general consensus seemed to be "same as 318 but with some o2 stuff"

is there a lot more to it than this?

& finally (for now muhahahahaha)

if i want to install Steve's overclockable kernel, what my best bet?

run the CWM zip update for the 318 tweaks (i think you had a hand in this)

or can i just adb push the files i need to overwrite?

(if i do this do i need the diff busybox?)

cheers, was gonna pm u this, but figured others might benefit from the answer..

Guest adzman808

changing camera.flash to camera.auto-flash did nothing

[copying over steve's camera.apk did restore the flash on all the time feature tho]

?????

is this file mod basically caqlling up a different xml from the perms folder, thus enabling auto flash?

can you expend upon this a little please? when o2 (319??) first arrived, general consensus seemed to be "same as 318 but with some o2 stuff"

?????

Lol you mis understood...

the handheld_core file contains a list of the features that the device has, it links to other xml files in the permissions folder. There is a line in mine that alows autoflash, but points to the xml file wrongly, there should be an xml file in there.

Heres my permissions folder for comparison... If you do use these then make sure you note the existing "file permissions" first (using root explorer) as it may not boot properly, and several things will break if you don't set them right.

http://db.tt/iTPPihW

smokus performance fix? Don't think it works on 319, certainly the 319 version he built didn't work

the drivers in the 319 build seem better to me, benchmarks are slightly quicker 3d performance is a lot better, some of the niggly bugs in 318 aren't there, but others are...

Edited by fards

Guest adzman808
Lol you mis understood...

the handheld_core file contains a list of the features that the device has, it links to other xml files in the permissions folder. There is a line in mine that alows autoflash, but points to the xml file wrongly, there should be an xml file in there.

Heres my permissions folder for comparison... If you do use these then make sure you note the existing "file permissions" first (using root explorer) as it may not boot properly, and several things will break if you don't set them right.

http://db.tt/iTPPihW

smokus performance fix? Don't think it works on 319, certainly the 319 version he built didn't work

the drivers in the 319 build seem better to me, benchmarks are slightly quicker 3d performance is a lot better, some of the niggly bugs in 318 aren't there, but others are...

cheers

the only diff my quick look told me was that your _core file has the additional line re autoflash, but the rest of the xmls look the same

adding the line that your _core has (& mine doesn't) to my streak doesn't do anything..

(like you say) is seems that thre's an additional xml missing to make autoflash work...

does the recovery file u posted to flash 318 update.pkg work with 319?

if you make the fards rom, any idea when that may be...?

cheers bud

Guest Oreynid
Camera works perfectly for me, most likely something else you changed

Perhaps. The steps I followed are:

Use QDLTool to update from AT&T 1.6

Download 318 and renamed to Update.pkg to apply.

Used superoneclick to root.

Installed busybox

purchased and installed rootexplorer

used root explorer to copy sysctl and build.prop to respective folders

rebooted.

After that the camera gave me the error.

And I tested the camera at each step and it worked right until I applied the tweaks. Any suggestions?

Edit:

Nevermind. For whatever odd reason the build.prop from 318 has the additional build properties entries repeated multiple times. So I manually made the edits to the original file and the camera works now.

Edited by Oreynid

Guest Wonsanim
here's the changes to the prop files..

seperated into the folders they go in. you obviously need root to use them, and use adb push...

the files to remove are most of apks without odexes in system/app/ leave in those you find a use for

feel free to look at the files to check the changes.. I set the location to GB which may effect the swype but I'm not sure yet

EDIT

the local.prop is causing the swype (and settings) issues, delete all the media section out of that before pushing it if you want to use it otherwise ignore it, the other tweaks in local.prop increase network speed (FOR SOME NETWORKS, NOT ALL ) so its' not essential.

Guys First Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all,and sorry I'm late for the party but is flu season here because of the weather and My office is pack to many common cold,but now to the fun and this is the situation I try to fix Fards 318 tweaks,I try to push or copy the files using ddms(build.prop & sysctl.conf) but I think I do wrong because I don't see nothing happens or Change,second I don't know were to push init.streak.post_boot.sh(like for example the the build.prop goes in system or if using root explorer you open system you can see the build.prop)I is possible can some one point me(the new guy)to the correct steps to do this.Thanks Guys and again Happy Hollidays.

Guest ashdragon

Interesting.....

So if i am running the 318 Version i should be able to just download the 319 O2 version, stick it on SD and apply it?

You mention your tweaks will just work as is, so thats good.

Any chance you can elaborate on what bugs you do and don't have with his build? Overall i have been pretty happy with 318 but if 319 is superior as you mentioned then i'm willing to give it a go.