External Bluetooth GPS

Guest unholyimp

Guest princeotter
well i also have a 7 inch motorised dvd install radio so 3 inches wont make a difference, plus i have not got it on the window screen more where the heater controls are, so they not gonna see it, plus also i have never been done for my car pc and that i had built a surround for the dash with a 7 inch touchscreen.

Bought one of the £5 bluetooth GPS receivers as well, Excellent - quick delivery as well 2 days from ordering which at this time of year is brill. Nice find - thanks.

Re Comment about size of screen and legality of using in car - interesting one. What would define a TV - surely the necessary UHF modulator? I would be more concerned about being hit by a 10" screen in a crash rather than its legality :(

Bought one of the £5 bluetooth GPS receivers as well, Excellent - quick delivery as well 2 days from ordering which at this time of year is brill. Nice find - thanks.

Re Comment about size of screen and legality of using in car - interesting one. What would define a TV - surely the necessary UHF modulator? I would be more concerned about being hit by a 10" screen in a crash rather than its legality :(

LMAO, that was a good one, im also making something so it will hang on a headrest for people in the back to watch.

My £5 receiver arrived this morning, ran Bluetooth GPS and it works - no fussing around, just works as it should.

Tested with Goggle maps (including Latitude) and GeOrg (Geocaching program) and both work fine.

Guest massjourney

The £5 wayfinder GPS from ebay worked well today with the Vega and Copilot.

The BT connection said "Paired but not connected", however, it worked fine. My wife gave the test 7/10 and it lost marks mainly on the sound being quiet. At full volume it was sometimes difficult to hear the instructions with road noise. The BT receiver lost connection once on the first of two journeys but this may be human error as she was playing with it at the time. Copilot is not as intuitive as other satnav apps like tomtom but it sufficed. Lastly, you currently need to make sure the Vega is charged sufficiently as I am not aware of any car charger available for the vega.

Positives were the large screen size and information and satalites were picked up quickly by the BT GPS receiver.

Overall a loud speaker connection and a mount would make this a very usable gadget.

Jay

Guest Micronics

Just installed and linked to a Adapt Keychain Bluetooth GPS Receiver. Works Fine in Maps! And CoPilot 8 and MapDroyd too.

Edited by Micronics

Guest culagh

I've been reading this topic with interest. Are you all saying that you have connected to an external GPS receiver and got CoPilot to work ? I ask as I to have managed to connect the Vega to an external GPS but CoPilot doesnt seem to see it at all, it reports "Unable to register for GPS Updates"

Guest ashbash
Try running GPS 2 Bluetooth on the phone. Available in the market. I have succesfully connected my Desire to my Vega :unsure:

Hi,, do u mean i can get the vega to use my desire's gps? ... i would love to be able to do that if u can explain?

Thanks

Ash

Guest ashbash
I am currently using an app from the market called Bluetooth gps provider. It works perfectly and is free.

Sent from my Vega.

Is this app still available i cant find it?

Guest ashbash
Hi,, do u mean i can get the vega to use my desire's gps? ... i would love to be able to do that if u can explain?

Thanks

Ash

Downloaded the apk in this thread, paired vega and desire, gps on desire, started apk on vega and chose desire and started gps, bingo!

Only issue i had was needed mock locations activaated.

Thanks!

Ash

Guest rpmccormick

I thought the people subscribed to this thread would be interested on seeing this new thread I just made:

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...t/#entry1546775

(I guess I should have just posted it here, but it is a slightly different topic, and before I figured it out I wanted to ask the question in a new thread)

Edited by rpmccormick

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so i have the wayfinder £5 bluetooth GPS extrodinaire connected and gettiong results on Google Maps / Earth. Whenever I go to navigation via either Car Home or from Maps, it says "GPS is disabled - SHow location settings?"

Pain in the bum really, as if left long enough the womans voice starts giving directions!!!

Clicking on "OK" takes me to the "Location and security settings" menu on the Vega, which has no GPS settings on it, (only the use wireless networks to improve my location - tried both on and off to no avail).

Can anyone who has this working please advise on their settings etc? I'm using Bluetooth GPS on the Vega, but get same issues with Bluetooth GPS Provider.

Guest Sanddancer75

I picked up one of the cheap £5 ones off eBay after my existing receiver insisted that I was in the middle of the Atlantic. Unfortunately the new one says the same too, I don't live in the Atlantic by the way before anyone asks. I've taken the thing out when I've walked the dog (you can't do that in the sea) in the hope of getting better reception clear of houses, but it says the same. Have people changed any of the settings?

I picked up one of the cheap £5 ones off eBay after my existing receiver insisted that I was in the middle of the Atlantic. Unfortunately the new one says the same too, I don't live in the Atlantic by the way before anyone asks. I've taken the thing out when I've walked the dog (you can't do that in the sea) in the hope of getting better reception clear of houses, but it says the same. Have people changed any of the settings?

Have you got Fake GPS still turned on by any chance??

Guest xathras
I am using a very cheap bluetooth gps receiver from Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT It costs £4.99 post paid. It has a mains charger for the battery and a car charger. I use it with the Bluetooth gps provider app and it works with Google Maps. It is a Wayfinder brand. It seems they are owned by Vodaphone but are now defunct.

Yet another confirmation that this cheap receiver works with the Vega. I installed the Bluetooth GPS Provider mentioned in the quoted post and Google Maps shows my location and says this is accurate to 5 metres. The receiver is inside (on my living room windowsill) and the Google location icon jiggles about; hovering over my house or the pavement on the opposite side of the road. I've never used GPS or Bluetooth before so I'm not the user to ask questions of. ;)

Guest AndyCielecki

I can see the Wayfinder from my Vega, when I try to pair them I enter the pin '0000' which it accepts but then comes back instantly saying paired but not connected.

I tested using maps and no location is being picked up and the gps's bluetooth led is blinking.

I have tried other random pins as a test and they are rejected so the pin seems to be valid, I have also managed to connect via my win7 laptop and seen the NMEA data come over into hyperterm so I know the gps is working, I also noticed once connected to the pc the gps's bluetooth led is light steadily.

I'm running the v6 rom and the performance pack any ideas?.

Edited by AndyCielecki

Guest xathras
I can see the Wayfinder from my Vega, when I try to pair them I enter the pin '0000' which it accepts but then comes back instantly saying paired but not connected.

I tested using maps and no location is being picked up and the gps's bluetooth led is blinking.

I have tried other random pins as a test and they are rejected so the pin seems to be valid, I have also managed to connect via my win7 laptop and seen the NMEA data come over into hyperterm so I know the gps is working, I also noticed once connected to the pc the gps's bluetooth led is light steadily.

I'm running the v6 rom and the performance pack any ideas?.

I've just remembered that I did make a change to Bluetooth GPS Provider that may have had an effect. Go to Bluetooth GPS Provider -> Preferences -> GPS Type and change the selection from SiRF to MTK (no idea what either of these mean - I just fiddled with settings until it worked). Hope this works for you.

My apologies for not including this in my earlier post. I think I need my bottom spanked. Please? :lol:

I've just remembered that I did make a change to Bluetooth GPS Provider that may have had an effect. Go to Bluetooth GPS Provider -> Preferences -> GPS Type and change the selection from SiRF to MTK (no idea what either of these mean - I just fiddled with settings until it worked). Hope this works for you.

My apologies for not including this in my earlier post. I think I need my bottom spanked. Please? :lol:

Any chance you could outline all settings in each of the programmes required to get this working? Mine connects etc, but Navigation doesn't work on Google Maps. It finds me, shows the route etc, but navigation advised GPS isn't turned on, and offers me to go to settings to turn it back on, (no setting there obviously to do this!).

Really annoying, especially since the womans voice even reads out the first instruction - Everything on screen is blocked by the message taking me to Settings / exiting the prog.

Thanks in advance.

This works and works well.

But the GPS tickbox option is missing from the Locations menu :lol: which means Google Nav doesn't work despite Google maps getting a location and updating. *sigh*

This works and works well.

But the GPS tickbox option is missing from the Locations menu :lol: which means Google Nav doesn't work despite Google maps getting a location and updating. *sigh*

lol - I feel the woman inside my vega is mocking me by giving the first direction, but not displaying anything!! So close, but i'm sure there were peeps earlier stating they had this working.

Hopefully one of them can comment, and give their full settings list etc...

Or poss Paul can add the GPS settings back in once he gets time to roll out R7.

Edited by QLF

Or poss Paul can add the GPS settings back in once he gets time to roll out R7.

Hopefully the newly released 1.08 ROM from myadventvega.co.uk adds back in the GPS config in location settings. Haven't had a chance myself to reflash, so hopefully someone is able to confirm if this is the case????

• 2 weeks later...
Guest expat2000

Got the cheap bluetooth GPS gadget and it is way too cool!

Thought I'd try it out under extreme circustances...

2011-02-02085937.jpg

2011-02-02085528.jpg

Google earth even picks up the GPS location...

2011-02-02094426.jpg

My location is the blue dot centre of screen just off the west coast of Denmark.

Excellent!

Guest trevor432990
Got the cheap bluetooth GPS gadget and it is way too cool!

Thought I'd try it out under extreme circustances...

Excellent!

Very cool indeed thanks for the pics :P

Guest elephantsoup
Any chance you could outline all settings in each of the programmes required to get this working? Mine connects etc, but Navigation doesn't work on Google Maps. It finds me, shows the route etc, but navigation advised GPS isn't turned on, and offers me to go to settings to turn it back on, (no setting there obviously to do this!).

Really annoying, especially since the womans voice even reads out the first instruction - Everything on screen is blocked by the message taking me to Settings / exiting the prog.

Thanks in advance.

Was having same problem. I turned off the use wifi option and restarted and it worked.