External Bluetooth GPS

Guest unholyimp

Guest trevor432990
Hopefully the newly released 1.08 ROM from myadventvega.co.uk adds back in the GPS config in location settings. Haven't had a chance myself to reflash, so hopefully someone is able to confirm if this is the case????

Maxip was going to try but if anyone else has been able to in the meantime please advise?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tronads

I'm having the same problem as QLF where Navigator is forcing me onto the screen to enable GPS (except its grayed out) as Navigtor thinks there is no GPS.

I am being found in the correct location on Lattitude etc.

I have tried restarting the application after unticking the wifi option, but no different.

Anyone managed to get round this yet ?

Guest ian webster
I'm having the same problem as QLF where Navigator is forcing me onto the screen to enable GPS (except its grayed out) as Navigtor thinks there is no GPS.

I am being found in the correct location on Lattitude etc.

I have tried restarting the application after unticking the wifi option, but no different.

Anyone managed to get round this yet ?

I would appreciate a solution to this also..

I would appreciate a solution to this also..

All i did to resolve was reinstall 1.6.05. It now works fine, but I haven't yet moved to the latest MCR as there are new issues there. Trevor has a workaround, but until it can be done without having so many extra programs running, I'm staying where I am.

Guest Diveokidoki

The device on Ebay is no longer availeble but from the same manufacture there was an other one availeble for 6.95GBP so have ordered this and will let you know the outcome as soon I have installed it.

Guest rubbery

Just to add my findings to the pot. I've got the £6.95 wayfinder adapter and it works really well with a free app called 'Bluetooth GPS'. The app actually has a map in the settings so you can see if it is working straight away. I do have the same problem when picking navigation but it works fine in normal maps mode.

Guest Diveokidoki

Hi There,

Got the wayfinder installed using bluetooth GPS provider, same issue though the Vega Gps setting are still shaded gray there fore not able to enable it. Navigation is not working as it should will try some other options

Jeff

Just to add my findings to the pot. I've got the £6.95 wayfinder adapter and it works really well with a free app called 'Bluetooth GPS'. The app actually has a map in the settings so you can see if it is working straight away. I do have the same problem when picking navigation but it works fine in normal maps mode.
Edited by Diveokidoki

Guest Diveokidoki

Ok a bit of a update: I have tested Bluetooth GPS and Bluetooth GPS Provider.

Bluetooth GPS Provider

Works well but is a bit more out of the your actual location, down point it it doesn't give you the lat/long posistions.

Bluetooth GPS

Works very well is a bit more aqurate with regards of location and what I like about it it shows you your location on a map as well so a bit more helpfull.

Both are viewing your location on satelite view on maps and Google earth.

For some reason I came accros a screen where it did allow me to change a setting as mentioned by someone else so I set it to MTK .

Getting there

Jeff

I've just remembered that I did make a change to Bluetooth GPS Provider that may have had an effect. Go to Bluetooth GPS Provider -> Preferences -> GPS Type and change the selection from SiRF to MTK (no idea what either of these mean - I just fiddled with settings until it worked). Hope this works for you.

My apologies for not including this in my earlier post. I think I need my bottom spanked. Please? :D

Sirf and MTK (Mediatek) are two types of gps chipset:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SiRF

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...;search=MTK+gps

mine is mtk.

So i don't understand why the google navigator give me an error when i try to use it though even if the gps antenna works well on google maps and copilot...

Edited by boh

Guest trevor432990

Guys if you are having a problem with GPS you might like to look in this topic which offers a cure for the the 'GPS is Disabled' message pop-up if you are still experiencing it. :D

Guest Diveokidoki

Great Trevor,

That is working as well I have Turbo GPS for Android partialy working just trying to figure out what works best in remote areas.

Jeff

Guest trevor432990
Great Trevor,

That is working as well I have Turbo GPS for Android partialy working just trying to figure out what works best in remote areas.

Jeff

So you got Navigation working again right?

Guest Diveokidoki

Navigation took long time this morning to prepare direction but will get some help this evening to tweak things

Cheers,

Jeff

So you got Navigation working again right?

Guys if you are having a problem with GPS you might like to look in this topic which offers a cure for the the 'GPS is Disabled' message pop-up if you are still experiencing it. :D

thanks very much i appreciate your help but link is wrong.

Edited by boh

Guest Diveokidoki

Boh,

It did work for me maybe set your USB setting in host it did help me

Guest trevor432990

No idea why that link has gone wrong because I tested it after posting and it was fine :D Anyway hopeully this one will work and if you go to the bottom of the page my post with 'Eureka' in the title will explain what to do :(

No idea why that link has gone wrong because I tested it after posting and it was fine :D Anyway hopeully this one will work and if you go to the bottom of the page my post with 'Eureka' in the title will explain what to do :(

thanks but even then it doesn't seems to work. I follow step by step guide but result is the same. I installed vega official 1.09 rom + modaco r8

Edited by boh

Guest trevor432990
thanks but even then it doesn't seems to work. I follow step by step guide but result is the same. I installed vega official 1.09 rom + modaco r8

Can you please remind me exactly what your setup is and what you are trying to do and any error messages you are getting? I think we can get you running but I need to know all the facts first :D

Can you please remind me exactly what your setup is and what you are trying to do and any error messages you are getting? I think we can get you running but I need to know all the facts first :D

The error is the same of all, "gps is disabled, show the settings"? I translate it in english from italian. The setting about gps is grey and is unselectionable. My rom is original 1.09 vega + r8. I simply follow step by step guide that you indicate me.

Guest trevor432990
The error is the same of all, "gps is disabled, show the settings"? I translate it in english from italian. The setting about gps is grey and is unselectionable. My rom is original 1.09 vega + r8. I simply follow step by step guide that you indicate me.

By setup I meant what GPS device are you using? What PC OS are you using? What apps are you trying i.e. Google Maps, Car Home, etc.? It is difficult trying to diagnose a problem remotely so as much info you can give me will help. Even with my solution working you will NOT see the GPS setting become selectable that's not how it works. Once you have followed the sequence of actions you should just click on the blue arrow in Maps and Navigator should start that's all.

By setup I meant what GPS device are you using? What PC OS are you using? What apps are you trying i.e. Google Maps, Car Home, etc.? It is difficult trying to diagnose a problem remotely so as much info you can give me will help. Even with my solution working you will NOT see the GPS setting become selectable that's not how it works. Once you have followed the sequence of actions you should just click on the blue arrow in Maps and Navigator should start that's all.

what GPS device are you using? Qstarz bt-q818 (chipset mediatek)

What PC OS are you using? Windows 7 x64 ultimate edition but what is the difference? I installed original vega rom 1.09 witouth problem, then r8 with adb usb mode. on my pc there's a dual boot windows 7 and windows xp 32 bit but the result is the same.

What apps are you trying i.e. Google Maps, Car Home, etc.? I use copilot that works well. When I try to use Google Maps it works and shows my position but when I try to set any way it shows me the gps error ("gps is disabled, show the settings"?) and in navigator google too.

It is difficult trying to diagnose a problem remotely so as much info you can give me will help. Even with my solution working you will NOT see the GPS setting become selectable that's not how it works. Once you have followed the sequence of actions you should just click on the blue arrow in Maps and Navigator should start that's all.

I follow the sequence but when i try to click on the blue arrow in top of righr it show me the gps error ("gps is disabled, show the settings"?), so it doesn't work for me but with copilot works all fine. I try also to update google maps but the result is the same.

Edited by boh

OK thanks for the information. Are you using the 'Bluetooth GPS Provider' application on the Vega or if not which one?

yes, I use bluetooth gps provider lstest version downloaded from google market.

One clarification: In copilot it shows the same error but if you ignore and click on "ok" it works the same well

Edited by boh

Guest trevor432990
yes, I use bluetooth gps provider lstest version downloaded from google market.

One clarification: In copilot it shows the same error but if you ignore and click on "ok" it works the same well

OK can you run through the following checklist and se what happens:-

1. Ignore

2. In Vega settings go to SETTINGS > APPLICATIONS > DEVELOPMENT > ALLOW MOCK LOCATIONS and tick it

3. Go to SETTINGS > WIRELESS NETWORKS > BLUETOOTH and switch it on by ticking

Go to SETTINGS > LOCATION & SECURITY > USE WIRELESS NETWORKS and switch on by ticking

4. Click on Bluetooth GPS Provider icon in app tray to launch it

5. In BT GPS click on menu and select preferences then set these

6. Force tick

7. Switch Bluetooth tick

8. Raw HDOP tick

9. GPS Type set to MTK There are several MTK settings Update Rate/DGPS Mode/SBAS available but I don't know what they should be set to so you'd need to refer to the GPS hardware manual

10. SIRF settings should be set to SWITCH TO NMEA

11. Turn on GPS hardware and position until the satellites acquired indicator shows (It should show as 'BT GPS V10 Paired but not connected' on BT device list)

12. Go to BT GPS app initial screen and select START

13. Make sure GPS ON/OFF is set to ON

At this point the screen should blank and pop-up a message saying gathering GPS data (or words to that effect) and you may notice two icons appear on the Vega notification bar 1) a blue arrow showing Navigator is loaded 2) a blue radio signal showing BT GPS is running. After that a dimmed display will appear with the following options NAVIGATE, PHONE, VOICE SEARCH, CONTACTS, MUSIC, EXIT CAR MODE.

Select NAVIGATE and test it by typing a destination postcode some distance from your own and a pop-up saying 'Getting navigation instructions' will appear and shortly after the screen will display a map or satellite image of your current location with indicators showing which direction to travel.

Edited by trevor432990