External Bluetooth GPS

Guest unholyimp

[...]

At this point the screen should blank and pop-up a message saying gathering GPS data (or words to that effect) and you may notice two icons appear on the Vega notification bar 1) a blue arrow showing Navigator is loaded 2) a blue radio signal showing BT GPS is running. After that a dimmed display will appear with the following options NAVIGATE, PHONE, VOICE SEARCH, CONTACTS, MUSIC, EXIT CAR MODE.

Select NAVIGATE and test it by typing a destination postcode some distance from your own and a pop-up saying 'Getting navigation instructions' will appear and shortly after the screen will display a map or satellite image of your current location with indicators showing which direction to travel.

Copilot works well, i test it with many ways and it works fine. In my opinion there's a bug in google software otherwise i could not use correctly Copilot app. My bluetooth gps antenna communicates fine with vega (in my case pov mobii tegra with vega original 1.09 firmware and r8 but maybe is this the problem? i don't believe) and in bluetooth gps provider it show correctly the signal power of each satellite hooked. I try to use many other navigator software like igo my way, navigon ecc... and work all fine. The problem is inside the google maps/navigator.

Edited by boh

Guest trevor432990
Copilot works well, i test it with many ways and it works fine. In my opinion there's a bug in google software otherwise i could not use correctly Copilot app. My bluetooth gps antenna communicates fine with vega (in my case pov mobii tegra with vega original 1.09 firmware and r8 but maybe is this the problem? i don't believe) and in bluetooth gps provider it show correctly the signal power of each satellite hooked. I try to use many other navigator software like igo my way, navigon ecc... and work all fine. The problem is inside the google maps/navigator.

I believe your Copilot would work without the 'Bluetooth GPS Provider' app running is this correct? If so then the likely problem area is with the settings in BT GPS Provider app and how it passes data to Google Maps so if you play around with the MTK settings that I mentioned you may well get it going. There are other Modaco members who also have Copilot running and have it working and Maps as well so it is possible.

If you want me to help further then let me know?

I believe your Copilot would work without the 'Bluetooth GPS Provider' app running is this correct?[...]

No, i don't believe

If so then the likely problem area is with the settings in BT GPS Provider app and how it passes data to Google Maps so if you play around with the MTK settings that I mentioned you may well get it going. There are other Modaco members who also have Copilot running and have it working and Maps as well so it is possible.

If you want me to help further then let me know?

ok, so i try to work on that settings. thanks trevor, i don't want to beset anymore for this problem.

Edited by boh

Guest trevor432990

No problems happy to help but difficult as you are using a newer GPS device than I have. The member who is also using Copilot is 'MaxIP' so maybe if you private message him to see if he got Google Maps going as well and how. Good luck and let us know how you get on :D

No problems happy to help but difficult as you are using a newer GPS device than I have. The member who is also using Copilot is 'MaxIP' so maybe if you private message him to see if he got Google Maps going as well and how. Good luck and let us know how you get on :D

ok, always if I succeed to work it.

Guest trevor432990

Did a bit more research and I believe the correct settings for BT GPS Provider app for your device are as follows:-

GPS Type set to MTK

Then under MTK section

Update Rate = 5Hz

DGPS Mode = WAAS

SBAS = Enable

Set those and start the BT GPS Provider app searching and it should pickup satellites for you this time .... then when it does do the other actions as per my list.

Did a bit more research and I believe the correct settings for BT GPS Provider app for your device are as follows:-

GPS Type set to MTK

Then under MTK section

Update Rate = 5Hz

DGPS Mode = WAAS

SBAS = Enable

Set those and start the BT GPS Provider app searching and it should pickup satellites for you this time .... then when it does do the other actions as per my list.

many many thanks for your help. i try this settings and give you a feedback.

edit: nothing, same error. So the google maps give me the voces indication but i can't access to map (this happens when i click on blue arrow). if i click on ok, it show me the network and positions setting sector in menu.

anyway with this settings now the blue arrow appears near bluetooth gps icon in status bar, but i give the same error.

Edited by boh

Guest trevor432990

So now at least you are getting the blue arrow appearing on the notification bar which it was not before is that correct? Can you confirm that the GPS ON/OFF app has got the switch set to the on position? If it is in the ON position and you still get the 'GPS is Disabled' message can I ask you to 'reboot' your Vega and retry the actions in the checklist in the correct sequence please? It sometimes takes a reboot after you have changed something for it to be activated fully.

So now at least you are getting the blue arrow appearing on the notification bar which it was not before is that correct? Can you confirm that the GPS ON/OFF app has got the switch set to the on position? If it is in the ON position and you still get the 'GPS is Disabled' message can I ask you to 'reboot' your Vega and retry the actions in the checklist in the correct sequence please? It sometimes takes a reboot after you have changed something for it to be activated fully.

yes, before this the blue arrow didn't appeares. yes, the gps on/off turned on. yes i reboot many times after i change settings but the result is the same. maybe we are near to solve this problem, at least it is a more step.

Guest trevor432990
yes, before this the blue arrow didn't appeares. yes, the gps on/off turned on. yes i reboot many times after i change settings but the result is the same. maybe we are near to solve this problem, at least it is a more step.

Yes I think we may be closer to solving it. I am pretty sure that when you see the blue arrow in the notification bar it means that Navigator has started so did you enter a destination before or after the arrow appeared?

In BT GPS Provider is it showing it's picked up satellites OK?

This will sound like a silly question but when you reboot your Vega do you get the 'Booting' message appear on the screen? Only reason I ask is some people think just pressing the power button for 2 seconds will force a reboot that's all.

Can you try the Car Home app and click on navigate there.

Edited by trevor432990

Yes I think we may be closer to solving it. I am pretty sure that when you see the blue arrow in the notification bar it means that Navigator has started so did you enter a destination before or after the arrow appeared?

[...]

after

[...]

In BT GPS Provider is it showing it's picked up satellites OK?

[...]

the signal showed all of times in all of setting, this is the strange thing

[...]

This will sound like a silly question but when you reboot your Vega do you get the 'Booting' message appear on the screen? Only reason I ask is some people think just pressing the power button for 2 seconds will force a reboot that's all.

Can you try the Car Home app and click on navigate there.

no, to speed up the boot process i use usb mode switch that guaratees reboot.

the copilot works fine the same, that's the strange thing.

Edited by boh

Guest trevor432990
after

Sorry but can you use the normal reboot process for me this time i.e. press power > 6 secs then power on > 2 secs and let's see if it will make any difference

Thanks

Edited by trevor432990

Close Maps & Car Home if open then open the Maps app again then click on menu and press Directions button and enter a postcode for a destination or address then press go and once it has got the driving directions THEN only press Blue Arrow.

it is exactly what i always done. to close the apps i used task manager too.

Edited by boh

OK have a drink and try again later mate. You are very close now to getting it going. Promise ! :D

the fact is that with copilot functions. is there a way to uninstall completely the google navigation and maps?

Guest trevor432990
the fact is that with copilot functions. is there a way to uninstall completely the google navigation and maps?

Copilot uses its own built-in maps whereas Google has to download them and it may even have its own way of talking to the GPS device so they are not really similar. Think if you stick with it you can get Maps & Navigator going but if you must get rid of them you can uninstall them using ADB link via the PC or next time you get a ROM from Modaco just uncheck the option boxes to install/bake them. Cheers

Copilot uses its own built-in maps whereas Google has to download them and it may even have its own way of talking to the GPS device so they are not really similar. Think if you stick with it you can get Maps & Navigator going but if you must get rid of them you can uninstall them using ADB link via the PC or next time you get a ROM from Modaco just uncheck the option boxes to install/bake them. Cheers

ok, tomorrow i'll try.

Guest trevor432990
ok, tomorrow i'll try.

OK some more things to check 'one at a time' tomorrow ......

In BT GPS Provider app set the following settings (if not already) :-

Choose GPS receiver check that it is showing your GPS in the list of paired devices? If not click on 'scan' to find it

Autostop = tick

Raw HDOP = unticked try with this see if anything changes

SBAS = Disable

Edited by trevor432990

ok trevor, I found this page on web that reports all specifications on qstarz bt-q818:

General

GPS Chip MTK GPS Module

GPS Protocol NMEA-0183 (V3.01) - GGA, GSA,GSV, RMC(default),GLL, ZDA, VTG (optional),

Band rate 115200 bps

Data bit : 8, stop bit : 1(Default)

Frequency L1, 1575.42MHz

C/A Code 1.023MHz chip rate

Channels 32 CH all in view tracking

Antenna (Internal) Built-in patch antenna with LNA

Sensitivity Tracking -158 dBm

Certification CE/FCC/BQB/RoHS

Acquisition Rate

Cold Start 39 sec, average

Warm Start 36 sec, average

Hot Start 1 sec, average

Reacquisition < 1 sec

Power

Battery Built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery

Consumption Acquisition:55.1mA(only baseband +RF IC)

Tracking:30.3mA Typical(only baseband +RF IC)

Operation Time 32hrs, after fully charged, in continuous

Charging time 3hrs. (Typical)

Environmental

Operating Temperature -10°C ~ +60°C

Storage Temperature -20°C ~ +60°C

Charging 0°C ~ +45°C

Accuracy (none DGPS)

Position Without aid: 3.0m 2D-RMS

<3m CEP(50%) without SA(horizontal)

DGPS (WAAS, EGNOS, MSAS, RTCM): 2.5m

Velocity Without aid: 0.1m/s, DGPS(WAAS, EGNOS, MSAS): 0.05m/s

Time 50 ns RMS

Dynamic Conditions

Altitude < 18,000 M

Velocity < 515 m/sec

Acceleration < 4G

Update 1Hz as default (Up to 5Hz - optional)

Interface

Bluetooth V1.2 compliant (SPP profile)

Class 2 (15 meters in open space)

Frequency: 2.4~2.4835 GHz

Power On/Off Slide switch

Power Charge Mini USB

LED function Bluetooth connection, Navigation Status, and Battery/charger status

Device Size 72.2 (L) X 46.5 (W) X 20 (H) mm

Accessories

Power adaptor, Car Charger, Rechargeable Battery

link: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/qstarz-btq818-gps-review.php

I take a look to this datas and i applied the correct settings on bluetooth gps provider but the music don't change (same problem). I test your settings counseled to me but nothing is changed.

Now the next step is uninstall maps and install latest version directly by market.

Edited by boh

Guest trevor432990

In BT GPS Provider app can you try setting DGPS mode to 'No DGPS source' and see what happens please? Just that I see a line in the above spec which says

'Accuracy (none DGPS)'

Out of interest when you first load Google Maps does your 'My Location' show up OK on the map as a blue flashing dot and are you in 'car' mode?

Edited by trevor432990

In BT GPS Provider app can you try setting DGPS mode to 'No DGPS source' and see what happens please? Just that I see a line in the above spec which says

'Accuracy (none DGPS)'

Out of interest when you first load Google Maps does your 'My Location' show up OK on the map as a blue flashing dot and are you in 'car' mode?

yes, in all of case

Edited by boh