ZTE V9 Tablet

Guest J_Martin

Guest serialmonkey
Sorry, I wasn't clear, the 2nd version has more keys added to it, can you select anything? If not we'll have to fond the values for they keys, tho now the shell is working that should not be too hard..

Sorry im traveling today so can't write too mixh

Ah sorry. No, still nothing works as a select key.

M.

Guest Sebastian404

Ok,

I've uploaded a 3rd version...

http://android.podtwo.com/light/

I've swapped VOL UP for Select... can you press the VOL DOWN 7 times to get to the 'Advanced' menu, then again 4 more times to get to 'Key Test', and try pressing all your buttons and give me the values of them?

I've also replaced ADBD with a built copy, so you should be able to get into a recovery shell

Guest Sebastian404
For the keys, I'm trying to compile kouch's bootable recovery from GIT but I'm having trouble getting busybox to compile. Am I on the right track ?

The way to do it........

There a number of tutorials around, and I'm not going to cover it all but this is what you need to do...

download the Android SDK & NDK

using the SDK download the 2.1-update2 & 2.2 SDK, emulator, etc, etc..

then you need to do download and build the standard vanilla Android source, try the boot/system.img you complied on the emulator to prove your enviroment is sane.

next you need to download the WHOLE CyanogenMod repository...

now you need to build a board config and its makefiles for your device...

and THEN.. you can build CyanogenMod and you'll have a (hopefully) working recovery in there....

Guest serialmonkey
I've swapped VOL UP for Select... can you press the VOL DOWN 7 times to get to the 'Advanced' menu, then again 4 more times to get to 'Key Test', and try pressing all your buttons and give me the values of them?

Vol Up = 115

Vol Down = 114

Home = 330

Menu = 330

Back = 330

Power = 142

Considering all three keys on the front report 330 - I say we made select=330 :-)

I've also replaced ADBD with a built copy, so you should be able to get into a recovery shell

Thanks, this is working now.

And thanks for the quick overview - gives me something to play with incase I want to make changes myself.

Guest Sebastian404
Vol Up = 115

Vol Down = 114

Home = 330

Menu = 330

Back = 330

Power = 142

Considering all three keys on the front report 330 - I say we made select=330 :-)

Thanks, this is working now.

And thanks for the quick overview - gives me something to play with incase I want to make changes myself.

Cool, I'll build another (final) version...

These buttons are they physical buttons?

the only reason I ask is that 330 is the same value I get from the Blade when you tap anywhere on the screen....

Guest Sebastian404
They aren't physical no, they are printed just below the LCD screen.

Here is pretty good photo - http://www.greatereader.org/wp-content/plu...8c_zte-v9-1.jpg

They are down the far end.

ARGH! I wish you'd said that before :unsure:

also checking linux/input.h:

#define BTN_TOUCH 0x14a

(thats 330)

Hmm, the 'official' way to support devices without physical buttons in clockwork is to set a define, that will will cause the an extra 'back' option to appear on all menus, and then you get to press the POWER button to select an option

So I've enabled that, but I've also added TOUCH so any of the 'virtual' buttons (or tapping on the screen) should be select.

Let me know how that works

Edited by Sebastian404

Guest serialmonkey

Probably be easier if we were doing this over IRC :-)

Up/down and tapping anywhere for select. The 'back' option is in the menu.

BUT, it appears the USB device ID changed and even after updating my udev config I cannot get adb to recognise the device. Anything change in that area ? It worked fine in b3

Edited by serialmonkey

Guest Sebastian404
Probably be easier if we were doing this over IRC :-)

Up/down and tapping anywhere for select. The 'back' option is in the menu.

BUT, it appears the USB device ID changed and even after updating my udev config I cannot get adb to recognise the device. Anything change in that area ? It worked fine in b3

nope, not touched that part since b1 when I added the ro.product.device id...

sebastian@laverna:~/android/zte_light$ cat clockwork/ramdisk/usb.conf
ro.product.name=V9
ro.product.device=V9
usb.enable_switch=1
usb.linux_switch=1
usb.linux_pid=0x1350
usb.switch_pid=0x1354
usb.default.pid=0x83[/code] vs the orignal:
[code]sebastian@laverna:~/android/zte_light$ cat recovery/ramdisk/usb.conf
ro.product.name=V9
usb.enable_switch=1
usb.linux_switch=1
usb.linux_pid=0x1350
usb.switch_pid=0x1354
usb.default.pid=0x83

can you got back to b3 and double check its not something with your host?

Guest serialmonkey

Must be something with my setup - I'm having trouble with b3 now. I can see the device in adb, but when I adb shell it doesn't work as expected. I get the prompt, but can't type anything.

I'll keep playing, thanks for all your help.

Guest Sebastian404
Must be something with my setup - I'm having trouble with b3 now. I can see the device in adb, but when I adb shell it doesn't work as expected. I get the prompt, but can't type anything.

I'll keep playing, thanks for all your help.

can you still use ADB when your booted into the regular system?

oh btw, when you get time, can you post your romdump somewhere so I can take a look at it?

Guest serialmonkey

Looks like its something we broke awhile ago - if I go back to your first image and fix up that /system/bin/sh symlink then adb shell works fine.

When testing adb shell on b3/b4 I must have been just seeing if I can access the shell, and not actually trying to use it. Doh !

Guest Sebastian404
Looks like its something we broke awhile ago - if I go back to your first image and fix up that /system/bin/sh symlink then adb shell works fine.

When testing adb shell on b3/b4 I must have been just seeing if I can access the shell, and not actually trying to use it. Doh !

ah, ok... hmm well on b3 I replaced ADBD with one I built from source.... so that sort of figures

Hmm, its easy to 'fix' as you say with the symlink, but the OCD in me would prefer to use the recovery adbd...

I'll check out your dump, maybe it was just an oversight with the ZTE branded one..

Guest serialmonkey
btw, can you give the other features a go, backup and restore are I guess the best ones to try...

Backup and restore work fine. I've tried a few other things and can't find any issues other than the adb shell.

M.

Guest Sebastian404

Cool, I've had a look at the dump from the OPTUS device, and its recovery ADBD is also the standard one...

when your using b3, you can get connected but when you type nothing appears on screen? have you tried typing commands anyway, incase it is the local echo?

I guess we'll have to fall back to the symlink for now.. B)

Check out b5 :unsure:

Guest serialmonkey

Not just local echo no. B5 appears to have the old adbd as expected, but the symlink must be missing (cannot find /system/bin/sh)

In your previous post you mentioned that to compile Cyanogen you need to make device files (I assume what go under /device/zte/blah).

Are the files for the Blade available online ? Or, the ones you have been using for the Light ?

Keen to get my own build on there to remove all the vendor branding/apps. Baby steps :-)

Guest Sebastian404
Not just local echo no. B5 appears to have the old adbd as expected, but the symlink must be missing (cannot find /system/bin/sh)

Grrr, I knew I should of tested that :unsure:

I make a symbolic link this time.... let me know if that works..

b6

Edited by Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404
In your previous post you mentioned that to compile Cyanogen you need to make device files (I assume what go under /device/zte/blah).

Are the files for the Blade available online ? Or, the ones you have been using for the Light ?

Keen to get my own build on there to remove all the vendor branding/apps. Baby steps :-)

for me, I put mine under device/zte/blade (or device/zte/light)..

if you have a look in the device directory there are lots of example ones.. its the BoardConfig.mk you need to fill out.

Bear in mind a lot of the stuff in there is to do with hardware drivers.. wifi/ril/etc/etc...

There was a guy on the blade forum who was looking into porting CyanogenMod to the blade... you might want to see how he got on... it seems to be fairly similar device.

If I get time tomorrow I'll knock up some recovery zips from the two dumps I have, so you can get an idea of how they work and start hacking your own firmware :unsure:

Guest serialmonkey

Still no symlink. In fact, there is no /system folder at all in that ramdisk.

There is a /bin/sh symlink though .....

Edited by serialmonkey

Guest serialmonkey
If I get time tomorrow I'll knock up some recovery zips from the two dumps I have, so you can get an idea of how they work and start hacking your own firmware :unsure:

Thanks !!

Guest serialmonkey

Something different ?

adb doesn't recognise the device at all now. Doesn't appear in 'adb devices' despite showing in lsusb with the correct ID. Want me to reboot fully to make sure ?

Guest serialmonkey

FWIW, I've compiled up my own recovery now based on the latest froyo cryanogen source and I get the same issue withe adb.

Question - how did you manage to get the build system to replace the stock init.rc with your own ? Naming it init.blade.rc gets it into the root image but not the recovery image, and it seems that even if you insert it into the root folder next to usb.conf, etc that it always gets overwritten to the stock during a future step in the build process. In the end I hacked the make files to get mine to work but that obviously isn't optimal.