ZTE V9 Tablet

Guest J_Martin

Guest jimmyjack72
12 downloads... anyone got any feedback ?? yes it's working ? no it didnt work?? yes it worked, but has errors ???

cheers! :lol:

Works for me. Had an early issue with an old image, but after I flashed a fresh rom it works nicely. Thanks!

I also tried Link2SD which worked OK, but links to Market were broken and it was difficult to see exactly what was going on on the SD, even using root explorer or titanium.

Works for me. Had an early issue with an old image, but after I flashed a fresh rom it works nicely. Thanks!

I also tried Link2SD which worked OK, but links to Market were broken and it was difficult to see exactly what was going on on the SD, even using root explorer or titanium.

'

Seems to be the theme with the script. For some reason it works best from a fresh ROM. Thats why i used titanium backup to reinstall everything back. I have found that trying to move all the already installed apps over took forever and would more often then not cause huge problems with force closes... So maybe i should put that in the instructions... I took the moving all the apps over to the new partition" part out of the script for this reason. Just proved unreliable. Titanium backup is a pain, but at least it is way more reliable.

Guest Kot_rus
Ok... here i go. 1st release of App2sd for the ZTE V9 Light.

Let me know how it goes. Worked ok for me off a fresh stock install :lol:

Hi!

The script doesn't work for me. Firmware from a Beeline. At copying of applications there were errors. After reboot there is no GUI.

Hi!

The script doesn't work for me. Firmware from a Beeline. At copying of applications there were errors. After reboot there is no GUI.

That is strange, as the stock launcher should be stored in the system part of the device. No system applications are moved during this. As a matter of fact, no applications are moved. All this does is mount your SD ext2 partition, install busybox, make a directory and sets up a link to the new apps install partition. Think i might re-word the script as well. A lot of people are thinking when it says "copying applications", it means it is moving all their old apps over. It isnt, it is installing the app2sd app/scripts. So to save confusion, i think i will edit that part.

Now, do you remember what the error said ? and was it just before or just after the "copying applications" message ??

Guest synaptic

Hi All,

Just wondering if you could point me in the right direction. I've got one of these tablets (on Optus), but it's not rooted or modded in any way, except that I installed ADW Launcher. However, when I set a theme, the tablet has gone into a FC loop (after reboot, without even loading icons). All I can get is the lock screen.

My understanding from reading here and elsewhere is that the 'FTM' mode should have a 'reset' button to hard reset, but this device doesn't have one (at least not when PWR, - Vol is pressed), and this is unexpected?

Is the device borked or can you point me to a relevant thread/search term? I would hope this is a fairly easy fix?

Edited by synaptic

Guest BlcakFox

Well, if there's still no progress in 2.2 on this device, is there any chance we can get an overclocked kernel assuming that we have the source out? It would be great to have decent something about at least 800 MHz.

Just wondering if you could point me in the right direction. I've got one of these tablets (on Optus), but it's not rooted or modded in any way, except that I installed ADW Launcher. However, when I set a theme, the tablet has gone into a FC loop (after reboot, without even loading icons). All I can get is the lock screen.

Wow, first time i have heard of this happening. FTM mode is easily reset by removing the battery for 10 seconds and replacing it. The Power / -volume combo is only if you have Clockwork Mod recvoery installed. There is no hard reset button that i am aware of. Can you tell me what theme you were trying to install? i will install the same and see if i can clear it somehow. After a force close, of a launcher, it will usually fall back to the default launcher. If the device can get to the lockscreen, all is not dead. I would also google adw launcher issues and see what that turns up as well.

Well, if there's still no progress in 2.2 on this device, is there any chance we can get an overclocked kernel assuming that we have the source out? It would be great to have decent something about at least 800 MHz.

On my todo list... still working on how to do it, will keep you all updated... I got a feeling im the only one left in here... :lol:

On a side note... My app2sd has been updated with a few minor bug fixes... if you already have this installed from v0.1 and it's working, you dont need to install this one. Just some machines required to run the script twice and some got "not mounted" errors... this should cure that...

ZTE_V9_Light___App2SD___v0.2.rar

Guest funguss

Hi,

I have a problem with the V9's bluetooth.

It is able to transfer files to another device but is unable to receive any.

Anyone has experience with this?

Guest synaptic
Can you tell me what theme you were trying to install? i will install the same and see if i can clear it somehow.

The theme I installed was this one here (AppBrain), Gingerbread theme. In Recent changes it says that both MDPI and HDPI are supported, which is the only thing I could think went wrong (unless the install was randomly bad?)

It will open, and if I'm quick I can open an app on the homescreen (unfortunately not the homescreen with task manager :lol: ), but then will FC.

It is quite funny though, that (when it was working), if I used Task Manager to kill ADW Launcher, it would kick me back to the standard launcher, so I have no idea what is going on.

Assuming its not able to be fixed then, any way to wipe personal data with this level of access? I should be able to return it to DSE since I only bought it on Monday.

Also if you are in Australia, do you know whether this is the sort of thing Optus would have to help me with (i.e. if they have the service manual, or can ensure the device is wiped if returned), or whether they would call it an 'unauthorised mod' and kill the warranty?

Edited by synaptic

Guest synaptic

I gave Optus a call (note: if you are in Aus, don't call the clowns at Optus' 'Customer Centre,' call 1300 307 937 which is their actual tech support number, or you'll get bombarded with MMS, upgrade phone, billing and then the dozy moron who says "so this is data card?") since I really had nothing to lose.

The tech support guy on the line said that according to the service manual for the device, it's screwed. He was from the android helpdesk, and his exact words were "you won't believe this but there is no way to hard reset this particular device." The only way to do so is in Privacy in the Settings menu (no good if FC loop, ZTE!) or if Optus sends it back to the factory.

(vent) So i'll be changing all my passwords (the launcher might be dead, but the e-mail program can be launched when a new email is received; although of course you can't delete your account from this menu, it tells you you have to use the settings menu!) and hope that I can return the device. Fantastic. (/vent)

A few days ago, I bought this ZTE V9 tablet, and so far I think its a good relation price / quality.

7" screen

Phone

3G

Wi-FI

Bluetooth

GPS

3400Mah battery

Rear 3MP camera

Android 2.1

I've searched around and apparently there is nothing here ad Modaco about this tablet, tweeks, roms, etc.

If some one gets one of these and want to share experiences, just let me know.

Regards,

J_M

Hi friend, where did you buy this cool tablet? And how much? I found this ZTE V9 Tablet is sold at $420 on modem3g.com, does this price is a good price?

The tech support guy on the line said that according to the service manual for the device, it's screwed. He was from the android helpdesk, and his exact words were "you won't believe this but there is no way to hard reset this particular device." The only way to do so is in Privacy in the Settings menu (no good if FC loop, ZTE!) or if Optus sends it back to the factory.

(vent) So i'll be changing all my passwords (the launcher might be dead, but the e-mail program can be launched when a new email is received; although of course you can't delete your account from this menu, it tells you you have to use the settings menu!) and hope that I can return the device. Fantastic. (/vent)

It is recoverable. You have to remember that the idiots at Optus are reading from a que sheet. Most, if not all of them will have little to no experience with read world devices other then the device they have in front of them, usually their iPhones. Even then, they probably cant tell you how that even works.

The tech guy has one thing right, you cannot hard reset the device from a button press. It is a little more complicated than that. And unless they can prove that you have rooted the device or made any modifications to the external unit or it is obvious it has been accident damaged, then there really isnt a thing they can do about it warranty wise.

Now, you said you have a very short window of time when it boots up to start apps, have you tried to open the settings ? This could help. As the screen unlocks and if you can press something, tap on the middle button on the screen (six small boxes) and that will bring up a menu at the bottom and one will say "settings". If you are quick enough, you should be able to press that. The settings button will be right above the menu button when it opens. This will take you to the system menu hopefully... What you need to do then is go into "Applications" and then "Manage Applications" scroll down the list till you find ADW.Launcher and tap on it to open the settings. In there will be a button that says "Clear Defaults" you need to hit that one to clear ADW as your default launcher, then i would click "Force Stop" to stop it if it is highlighted and then click on uninstall. I have installed the same launcher and same theme and was unable to replicate your issues, so i am sure it is a setting you tweeked wrong or a bad install.

Outside that, you may have to reinstall the optus ROM from here, and unless you are confident with using ADB and/or fastboot, then it isnt he right way for you.

Guest synaptic

I thought about trying to get into the settings, I got the menu to pop up halfway once, but it had FC'd before I had a chance to press anything.

I ended up deciding to change my google account password (since that was the only thing with a stored password) and exchanging it. I'm just not confident enough to go messing about with firmware flashing when it is less than a week old so still exchangeable.

Edited by synaptic

Guest alpha xs

I ppl!

After all that happened, i left the device in he tech support and here´s the fresh result after a reflashing done by them.

(when i sent the device only ftm worked)

boot.img (147.72 MB) http://www.multiupload.com/K2SQNIBBDT

ftm.img (106.01 MB) http://www.multiupload.com/PKK972V2IN

recovery.img (147.72 MB) http://www.multiupload.com/56MTQSZOB8

system.img (147.72 MB) http://www.multiupload.com/Q3CKW0I1I5

the images were generated via mkyaffs2image

This is the VODAFONE-PT version 2.1-upgrade1

Edited by alpha xs

Guest synaptic
I tried link2sd and when i launch it, i get a FC message after ext2 is found.

FYI, The latest version of Link2SD (1.2.1) works without modification (apart from needing to root the ZTE)

Oh, and out of curiosity, i tried installing some of the 2.2 Blade ROMs on my V9 tonight.. just for shits and giggles, not thinking they would work, more like just hoping some freak of nature would make one of them work, even slightly. nope. No dice, not even really badly.

And yes, i know they are not the same device, I was just doing what some other people have been thinking...

Back to the drawing board ;)

Edit: Thinking out loud

Quick question here... Just pulling the Blade firmware down and trying to work out if there is a way to port the drivers from 2.1 V9 and basically rebuild the Blade kernel with V9 drivers ? How hard can it really be. Dont care if it is unstable, as that can be worked on. I mean if they can build a semi working 2.2 to work on an iPhone and a HD2, how hard should this be with porting from 2 similar devices. There has to be some how-to write ups out there that show how to port 2.2 from one device to another or using 2.2 to update 2.1 from leaks, etc. Most of the threads on XDA ask this question and get idiots replying with stupid comments.

Edited by Pegaxs

Guest Sebastian404
I ppl!

After all that happened, i left the device in he tech support and here´s the fresh result after a reflashing done by them.

(when i sent the device only ftm worked)

boot.img (147.72 MB) http://www.multiupload.com/K2SQNIBBDT

ftm.img (106.01 MB) http://www.multiupload.com/PKK972V2IN

recovery.img (147.72 MB) http://www.multiupload.com/56MTQSZOB8

system.img (147.72 MB) http://www.multiupload.com/Q3CKW0I1I5

the images were generated via mkyaffs2image

This is the VODAFONE-PT version 2.1-upgrade1

I'm not sure your dump is going to work, boot and recovery are not yaffs2 format, and they are not normaly that big.

I'll download it and have a look tho, thanks ;)

I'm not sure your dump is going to work, boot and recovery are not yaffs2 format, and they are not normaly that big.

I'll download it and have a look tho, thanks ;)

I noticed that his boot, recovery and system img files are all the identical size. i know standard recovery is 5.x mb.

Guest Sebastian404
I noticed that his boot, recovery and system img files are all the identical size. i know standard recovery is 5.x mb.

I've downloaded all the files and they are all different, but yes a lot larger than they should be

Guest adijay08

Hey guys! I was wondering if someone could give me a little hand since I'm starting on android. I also have ZTE V9 and when testing apps2s from pegasx it didn't really worked for me very well, but since I read that it would work better with a fresh reset i decided to do so but when I do it on setting it just reboots and does nothing everything still the same. Also with Titanium I removed the docs to go software from my system as it came from default but was an annoying demo version. so in a moment of anger i decided to uninstall it.

Now, besides this loop it does everytime I try to reset, I have my ZTE rooted with Universal Androot, but on adb it doesn't appear anymore after 1000 trys.

Can you give me a little hand on reflashing it to the original stock ROM at least.

My ZTE V9 is from Vodafone Portugal. Thanks!!

If you followed my how-to, you should have installed clockwork recovery mod. If you did, then it is a pretty easy case of downloading the correct firmware for your unit and re-flashing it back. If you made a backup in Clockwork recovery, you can install the backup from there...

As for my app, what version did you use ? did you get any error messages ? did you follow the readme file to the letter ?

Your device loops ? how do you mean ? what is it doing ?

As for the ADB issue, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers ?

I can help you re-flash the device, only problem is that i dont know where there is a vodafone portugal stock ROM. If we can find that, or get one made, we should be able to bring your device back to stock...

Guest serialmonkey

I haven't made much progress either, mostly due to lack of time. I've built both the stock android froyo branch and the cryanogen froyo branches from source, working off the device config that Sebastian created for clockwork. Build is successful, but nothing boots.

Blade people can probably answer this, am I right that to boot a froyo image you need a 'froyo kernel', which I presume is just a kernel built with specific options that froyo needs that eclair didn't. OR, should we be able to expect to boot a froyo image using the stock kernel we have extracted from our stock boot image ?

I'm taking a step back and trying to build cryanogen eclair, but it appears that GIT branch isn't complete and I may need to merge it overtop of the stock android eclair source. Haven't had time to get back to that yet.

Guest alpha xs
I've downloaded all the files and they are all different, but yes a lot larger than they should be

Yes, that's one of the reasons why i posted, o found the size of the files awckard...

While i was doing it, i decide to give a go to ftm as an image... and it builded one indeed, and there it is!

I'm just wondering how they get to flash it again, i tryed but i got no response...

Guest Sebastian404
I haven't made much progress either, mostly due to lack of time. I've built both the stock android froyo branch and the cryanogen froyo branches from source, working off the device config that Sebastian created for clockwork. Build is successful, but nothing boots.

Blade people can probably answer this, am I right that to boot a froyo image you need a 'froyo kernel', which I presume is just a kernel built with specific options that froyo needs that eclair didn't. OR, should we be able to expect to boot a froyo image using the stock kernel we have extracted from our stock boot image ?

I'm taking a step back and trying to build cryanogen eclair, but it appears that GIT branch isn't complete and I may need to merge it overtop of the stock android eclair source. Haven't had time to get back to that yet.

When I last tried it it was possible to boot 2.2 using a stock 2.6.29 kernel but the touch screen did not work, so I never really got any further with that little experiment.

I assume your going to have problems with the libs..

Im still trying to track down one of these devices, but it proving hard to find.