using DATA2SD or DATA2EXT upon MCR?

Guest hongkongtom

Guest hongkongtom
The script is probably working if your internal storage remains at 130. I think that it should be lover if it wasn't working but you can easily check with Root explorer. Your phone will report internal storage as it is because that's one of the differences between the two options you were mentioning. You whole internal storage is transfered to ext with data2ext that's why it's bigger if you check the phone's info.

This will only move the relevant parts so you'll remain at 130mb of internal memory but it won't decrease. Try to install angry birds and check internal memory before you install it and after. It should remain the same.

after restored from Nandroid, I tried again with the script (without doing full wipe before and after applying the script), now my phone is at the "ANDROID" boot screen quite a while (~15-20 min), the animation kept restarting about a second or two, I don't know if it's normal as people've mentioning "it should take a while". I have ~100 apps installed, don't know if it's too long or just about the right time for it to load.

besides, I thought applied DATA2EXT would make my internal storage appeared to be same as the ext3 partition (in my case, ~1gb), isn't it?

Your phone will report internal storage as it is because that's one of the differences between the two options you were mentioning. You whole internal storage is transfered to ext with data2ext that's why it's bigger if you check the phone's info.

This will only move the relevant parts so you'll remain at 130mb of internal memory but it won't decrease. Try to install angry birds and check internal memory before you install it and after. It should remain the same.

As I've said. A2SD will not change the size of internal storage.

DATA2SD will change it.

Guest hongkongtom

tried wipe, then applied the script, reboot, with no success, internal memory shows 80mb left and went down whenever apps installed. In Quick System Info Pro, A2SD Storage shows "NA", does anyone try this with success with MCR r9 with A2SD+?

tried wipe, then applied the script, reboot, with no success, internal memory shows 80mb left and went down whenever apps installed. In Quick System Info Pro, A2SD Storage shows "NA"?

Your EXT partition / SD card probably isn't set correctly if the phone can't evend detect a2sd. And yes the script has been tested by me and a few other people and it does work.

Did you set correct permissions and reboot the phone?

Edited by bpivk

Guest hongkongtom
Your EXT partition / SD card probably isn't set correctly if the phone can't evend detect a2sd. And yes the script has been tested by me and a few other people and it does work.

Did you set correct permissions and reboot the phone?

my A2SD+ is working fine before I tried the script so I think my EXT partition / SD card was set correctly. the only thing it might be different for me than yours might be that my phone isn't S-OFF so I have to do anything in recovery w/ mount /data and mount /system, while I typed

adb push 40a2sd /system/etc/init.d/

adb shell chown 0:2000 /system/etc/init.d/40a2sd

adb shell chmod 755 /system/etc/init.d/40a2sd

and I've checked w/ root explorer that after I wipe and applied the script, /etc/init./40a2sd was already overwrote by the script that you posted. yet, I'm thinking, do the chown and chmod commands need to exactly apply to "/etc/init.d/40a2sd" (not "/system/etc/init.d/40a2sd") ? it's because, while my phone is not S-OFF (actually I don't even know if it matters, I found this site but got no idea what to download and flash), I have no way to access /etc/init.d/40a2sd, while I can't see them in recovery. yet, I have no permission to use chown and chmod even with Terminal emulator (w/ SU). frustrated :(

Edited by hongkongtom

"/etc/init.d/40a2sd" (not "/system/etc/init.d/40a2sd") ?
It depends. I've found that some roms use the /etc and some /system/etc location for scripts. If it's overwritten then just check at which location it is and use the command with that location.

What storage do you have if you navigate to /data and how much under /data/data? It's odd that you're the only one I know off that has this problem and on MCR which I've tested it on.

Edited by bpivk

Guest hongkongtom
It depends. I've found that some roms use the /etc and some /system/etc location for scripts. If it's overwritten then just check at which location it is and use the command with that location.

What storage do you have if you navigate to /data and how much under /data/data? It's odd that you're the only one I know off that has this problem and on MCR which I've tested it on.

I found that the script appears in both /etc and /system/etc, just that I can't access /etc while in recovery and can't make changes in normal state.

Did you try using shell when the OS is running (not in recovery)?

adb shell

chown 0:2000 /etc/init.d/40a2sd

chmod 755 /etc/init.d/40a2sd

Type:

cd /

ls

And give me the output.

Edited by bpivk

Did you try using shell when the OS is running (not in recovery)?

adb shell

chown 0:2000 /etc/init.d/40a2sd

chmod 755 /etc/init.d/40a2sd

Type:

cd /

ls

And give me the output.

as he said he doesn't know what s-off is he probably doesn't have it.

so this commands will not work either, without recovery, as they also need write access to /system

/etc is symlink to /system/etc and the script therein is needless, as it doesnot get executed anyway

so the correct way would be doing it in recovery

adb shell mount /system

adb remount

adb shell mount /data

adb shell

and then

rm /data/dalvik-cache

mkdir -p /data/dalvik-cache

chmod 771 /data/dalvik-cache

chown 1000.1000 /data/dalvik-cache

so dalvik-cache stays on /data (internal memory and isn't symlinked to /system/sd - which is the ext partition)

as the etc symlink isn't available in recovery

the commands would be

adb shell

chown 0:2000 /system/etc/init.d/40a2sd

chmod 755 /system/etc/init.d/40a2sd

You're correct woti17. I've never checked where /etc is pointing. :(

But I've never recreated dalvik directory though and it worked fine.

Edited by bpivk

Guest hongkongtom
as he said he doesn't know what s-off is he probably doesn't have it.

so this commands will not work either, without recovery, as they also need write access to /system

/etc is symlink to /system/etc and the script therein is needless, as it doesnot get executed anyway

so the correct way would be doing it in recovery

adb shell mount /system

adb remount

adb shell mount /data

adb shell

and then

rm /data/dalvik-cache

mkdir -p /data/dalvik-cache

chmod 771 /data/dalvik-cache

chown 1000.1000 /data/dalvik-cache

so dalvik-cache stays on /data (internal memory and isn't symlinked to /system/sd - which is the ext partition)

as the etc symlink isn't available in recovery

the commands would be

adb shell

chown 0:2000 /system/etc/init.d/40a2sd

chmod 755 /system/etc/init.d/40a2sd

thx for your help woti17. sorry that I need to beg your pardon, if I am understanding it correctly, I need to push the modified script into /system/etc/init.d/ before doing any above commands right?

besides, I used unRevoked to root and got clockworkmod 2.5.0.7, in the recovery, I have options to mount /data and /system, are they same as

adb shell mount /system

adb remount

adb shell mount /data

adb shell

?

Edited by hongkongtom

thx for your help woti17. sorry that I need to beg your pardon, if I am understanding it correctly, I need to push the modified script into /system/etc/init.d/ before doing any above commands right?

besides, I used unRevoked to root and got clockworkmod 2.5.0.7, in the recovery, I have options to mount /data and /system, are they same as

adb shell mount /system

adb remount

adb shell mount /data

adb shell

?

adb shell mount /system

mounts system as it would be in normal operation, not the minimal system from recovery (this is when you see only /system/bin and /system/lib and nothing else in system), but the symlink etc -> /system/etc is not available, as it is created from kernel initdisk and at recovery time you have another kernel and initdisk

adb remount

remounts the earlier above mounted correct /system in read/write mode, i don't know what the menu options in clockwork do, as i just connect a usb cable and use adb is much more easy just to copy & paste commands

if its mounted correctly, then you push the modified script into /system/etc/init.d/ and modify the permissions yes

depending on what the script does, you maybe don t have to create dalvik-cache yourself, some scripts do it for you, but its often the reason for a bootloop when symlinks from older scripts still exist

btw you dont have to care about the content of dalvik-cache, as it always is created from the apk files, it only needs the directory to do it, or iz bootloops

hint: if you're are done and reboot, connect the usb cable, and do a

adb shell logcat

maybe you must try more times to get connected as the phone boots up. you have a good chance to see if something goes wrong (eg cannot create/write to dalvik-cache ....)

Guest hongkongtom
adb shell mount /system

mounts system as it would be in normal operation, not the minimal system from recovery (this is when you see only /system/bin and /system/lib and nothing else in system), but the symlink etc -> /system/etc is not available, as it is created from kernel initdisk and at recovery time you have another kernel and initdisk

adb remount

remounts the earlier above mounted correct /system in read/write mode, i don't know what the menu options in clockwork do, as i just connect a usb cable and use adb is much more easy just to copy & paste commands

if its mounted correctly, then you push the modified script into /system/etc/init.d/ and modify the permissions yes

depending on what the script does, you maybe don t have to create dalvik-cache yourself, some scripts do it for you, but its often the reason for a bootloop when symlinks from older scripts still exist

btw you dont have to care about the content of dalvik-cache, as it always is created from the apk files, it only needs the directory to do it, or iz bootloops

hint: if you're are done and reboot, connect the usb cable, and do a

adb shell logcat

maybe you must try more times to get connected as the phone boots up. you have a good chance to see if something goes wrong (eg cannot create/write to dalvik-cache ....)

wow, thx for the tips woti17, I'll go and try it and report back. hope it works :(

UPDATE: I've tried the commands that woti17 and it didn't work, endless bootloop (the ANDROID logo keeps refreshing after a few seconds). besides, while I used adb logcat, it gives me this while rebooting

ADB server didn't ACK

* failed to start daemon *

- waiting for device -

* daemon not running. starting it now *

ADB server didn't ACK

error: cannot connect to daemon

ADB server didn't ACK

- waiting for device -

ADB server didn't ACK

error: cannot connect to daemon

ADB server didn't ACK

- waiting for device -

just nothing useful I believe... should I just go S-OFF and do it with Root Explorer? but, will I be able to unroot (for warranty) in the future if I S-OFFed?

Edited by hongkongtom

• 1 month later...
Guest hongkongtom
You're correct woti17. I've never checked where /etc is pointing. ;)

But I've never recreated dalvik directory though and it worked fine.

after a long trail, I've finally back to this post and tried your script bpivk and it worked!!! I've used 40a2sd-dalvik for 2 weeks now,the phone is stable and smooth, yet, I wanna see if it runs even a bit faster with the non-dalvik-cache verson, but it keeps giving me boot loop, I did exactly same procedures with the 40a2sd-dalvik

1)phone with apps and data

2) boot into recovery

3) rm and replace the 40a2sd-dalvik script (renamed to 40a2sd) to /system/etc/init.d

4) use adb to do the following

adb shell chown 0:2000 /system/etc/init.d/40a2sd

adb shell chmod 755 /system/etc/init.d/40a2sd

5) didn't wipe and reboot

6) it worked for the non-dalvik-cache script

7) it didn't work for the dalvik-cache script and gives me bootloops

any clue?

the logcat can't sync to the phone while bootloops