USB-host mode enabled boot and system dump

Guest rvdgeer

Don't do it you'll only end up with something called errrr laptop ! :)

Lol. I agree with you on that although I would like to use a mouse for the thinks where touch just doesn't work right.

Edited by T4ylor

Guest JordanT92

3G USB Dongle compatibility list with an android tablet called Rocktab, may be similar?

Network Type: USB Dongle Model: Manufacturer

WCDMA EM770 EM770 HUAWEI

WCDMA MF210 MF210 ZTE

WCDMA MF200 MF200 ZTE

WCDMA W567 ZD6000 禾苗技术

TD-SCDMA MU301 P905M2_LWIN ZTE

TD-SCDMA TD368 TD368 HUAYU

EVDO EM660 EM660 HUAWEI

EVDO EM660C EM660C HUAWEI

EVDO E1916 E1916 Vtion

EVDO ZiTM06 AC200 ZTE

EVDO MC2716 119 ZTE

EVDO MC8630 MC8630 ZTE

EVDO EC122 EC122 HUAWEI

EVDO EC1261 EC1261 HUAWEI

EDIT:

Closest I've found so far is the Three UK 3G dongle, which uses the ZTE MF112 module.

EDIT:

I've heard the Huawei E160 should work, if android is set up to use it. More information tells me that the dongle requires no drivers and should work out of the box? Anyone with the Huawei E160 willing to flash the usb host boot.img?

EDIT:

The Android X86 project supports USB dongles, namely the E160, E170 and E180. May be worth looking into this?

Edited by JordanT92

Guest androiduser101

I have an E160G USB Dongle on 3....

Bit of an android newbie so you'd need to explain the steps that I need to try, more than happy to give it a go. I'm running the latest r5 ROM.

Cheers

Guest ChazW123
Okay, seems the easiest thing to do is to use GScript to swap between slave and host.

Attached are the GScript apk, two scripts and the two boot.img's. Works well for me, on the R5+performance mod.

Mouse, keyboard and external usb storage devices work. Hopefully someone can get a 3G dongle to work.

Download

Confirmed working on a Vega with the Modaco r4 running on Advents 1.04 firmware. 16gb Kingston usb stick and also a usb keyboard :)

Well done to all involved, great work!!!

Guest JordanT92
I have an E160G USB Dongle on 3....

Bit of an android newbie so you'd need to explain the steps that I need to try, more than happy to give it a go. I'm running the latest r5 ROM.

Cheers

Download the file at the top of this page, install ClockworkMod for the Vega, you'll have superuser because of R5, so just install GScript.apk from the zip you just downloaded, add the USB Host and USB Slave scripts while in GScript (hold back until the menu appears and press Add Script, then press Load), run USB Host script and restart. Plug in the E160 and hope? May need to have something added to the android build to get 3G to work.

EDIT:

Reports seem to confirm that the following Huawei 3G USB modems work with a selection of Android devices:

HUAWEI E160

HUAWEI E220

HUAWEI E1550

HUAWEI E226

HUAWEI E180

HUAWEI E1750

HUAWEI E1553

HUAWEI E1756

HUAWEI E169-U

HUAWEI E169

Seems most HUAWEI dongles should work?

Edited by JordanT92

Guest gingercat
install ClockworkMod for the Vega

Just a word of warning that ClockworkMod currently seems to randomly result in the device not being able to boot, and the only cure is to perform a full re-flash of the official firmware. Not sure of any implications should this occur when you've already set the device to USB-Host mode, although I would hope that the official recovery method would still be able to run as USB-Slave to enable you to re-flash.

Guest trevor432990

I'm going to wait until Paul produces an official ROM pack for this together with some instructions even noobs like me can follow easily :) Great work so far though and I can't wait till a stable mod is available to try it out.

Guest JordanT92
Just a word of warning that ClockworkMod currently seems to randomly result in the device not being able to boot, and the only cure is to perform a full re-flash of the official firmware. Not sure of any implications should this occur when you've already set the device to USB-Host mode, although I would hope that the official recovery method would still be able to run as USB-Slave to enable you to re-flash.

Instead of ClockworkMod, you could copy the flash_image file included in the ClockworkMod package to /data/tools/, that would work too. When the USB Host boot.img is flashed, the recovery mode still works as USB Slave.

I'm going to wait until Paul produces an official ROM pack for this together with some instructions even noobs like me can follow easily :) Great work so far though and I can't wait till a stable mod is available to try it out.

+1!

Looking forward to it paul. Thanks for all the great world.

Edited by pdej

Guest removed-14
I'm working on a switcher for r6. :)

P

Great. Does this mean we don't have to use ClockworkMod recovery as from the reports of it causing the need to reflash a few times I'm not keen on it.

Guest jellywobbles
Confirmed working on a Vega with the Modaco r4 running on Advents 1.04 firmware. 16gb Kingston usb stick and also a usb keyboard :)

Well done to all involved, great work!!!

Chaz - can you clarify please? What order did you do the above?

Is it USB Host image first & then MCR / r4? if yes - how come one doesn't over-write the other?

If that's a dumb question, I apologise now! Have to say I am not sure how to put the Vega in recovery mode :(

Thanks in advance :)

Guest JordanT92
Chaz - can you clarify please? What order did you do the above?

Is it USB Host image first & then MCR / r4? if yes - how come one doesn't over-write the other?

If that's a dumb question, I apologise now! Have to say I am not sure how to put the Vega in recovery mode :)

Thanks in advance :)

Install MCR / R4 first, which will give you superuser, then install GScript.apk and load the scripts, run USB Host script and restart your vega. You won't be able to do it the other way around because you wouldn't have superuser and even if it did work, you can't install MCR / R4 without ADB via USB Slave.

Guest jellywobbles
Install MCR / R4 first, which will give you superuser, then install GScript.apk and load the scripts, run USB Host script and restart your vega. You won't be able to do it the other way around because you wouldn't have superuser and even if it did work, you can't install MCR / R4 without ADB via USB Slave.

Cheers Jordan - in fact I am already running MCR /R4 :)

Just so I fully understand - once the USB host mod has been run, if the Gscript mod isnt run, the Vega will be stuck in Host mode all the time??

What part of your instructions above runs the usbvega.rar ? Sorry if this is a dumb question - at work having a tough day! :)

Thanks

Guest JordanT92
Cheers Jordan - in fact I am already running MCR /R4 :)

Just so I fully understand - once the USB host mod has been run, if the Gscript mod isnt run, the Vega will be stuck in Host mode all the time??

What part of your instructions above runs the usbvega.rar ? Sorry if this is a dumb question - at work having a tough day! ;)

Thanks

Unless the slave script is run, you are permenantly in Host mode, as it is the kernel which enables this on boot, you can't just swap back and forth in android unless we get the kernel source and implement it. Ignore the first download I hosted, the 70MB+ one, just get the one at the top of page 4, ensure you have Unless Paul has some tricks up his sleeve?

Guest JordanT92
You know what's weird?

The POV and Advent kernel configs are *IDENTICAL*, as are all the scripts in the boot image. Odd!

P

So why is the POV's boot.img twice the size as the Vega one? weird.

Guest JordanT92
Paul didn't say the boot images are the same, so it's something else in there...

Ah misread, but still.. why :L extracted, the 8MB boot.img is 4MB combined, unless I did it wrong.

Guest xathras

Instead of ClockworkMod, you could copy the flash_image file included in the ClockworkMod package to /data/tools/, that would work too. When the USB Host boot.img is flashed, the recovery mode still works as USB Slave.

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou! I now have a functioning USB host port, tested with a 16GB Kingston and a 4GB Fuji thumb drive.

I started the evening with a 1.04 firmware/custom r4+pp rig. The first thing I tried was installing ClockworkMod. This worked for 2 reboots and then f****d up leaving me unable to boot (see quote from gingercat, above). I took the opportunity to reflash with the 1.06.5 firmware and a custom r5+pp. Next I copied the flash-image file to /data/tools/ (see quote from JordanT92, above) with the commands:-

adb push flash_image /data/local/

adb shell chmod 4755 /data/local/flash_image

After installing Gscript I ran the USB Host script and rebooted. It worked first time! I hope Paul can convey to the people at DSG what a big deal this is. I was looking for a vanilla high-spec Android 2.2/Tegra 2 tablet to play with and now I finally have one at a great price, although DSG will miss out 'cos I won't need to buy a dock.

Edited by xathras

Guest emergant
You know what's weird?

The POV and Advent kernel configs are *IDENTICAL*, as are all the scripts in the boot image. Odd!

P

Possibly its a difference in the drivers? If only theyd bilt a more modular kernel

Guest MarkoUK
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou! I now have a functioning USB host port, tested with a 16GB Kingston and a 4GB Fuji thumb drive.

I started the evening with a 1.04 firmware/custom r4+pp rig. The first thing I tried was installing ClockworkMod. This worked for 2 reboots and then f****d up leaving me unable to boot (see quote from gingercat, above). I took the opportunity to reflash with the 1.06.5 firmware and a custom r5+pp. Next I copied the flash-image file to /data/tools/ (see quote from JordanT92, above) with the commands:-

adb push flash_image /data/local/

adb shell chmod 4755 /data/local/flash_image

After installing Gscript I ran the USB Host script and rebooted. It worked first time! I hope Paul can convey to the people at DSG what a big deal this is. I was looking for a vanilla high-spec Android 2.2/Tegra 2 tablet to play with and now I finally have one at a great price, although DSG will miss out 'cos I won't need to buy a dock.

where is the flash_image file?

Guest xathras
where is the flash_image file?

It's part of the "Recovery image and flash utility - DOWNLOAD - MD5: e61b18479197a52926046dca48d41438" which you will find on page 1 of the "29/Nov 2.5.1.3: ClockworkMod for the Advent Vega" pinned topic. Download and unzip it, you won't need the recovery.img.

Here's a picture of my Vega with a Kingston DataTraveler poking out of the top, and the .flac files that andLess (find it in the Market) is playing are on the Kingston.

post-797214-1292542905_thumb.jpg

Edited by xathras