USB Host mode - Working Devices (a list)

Guest bazzlad

Guest Shadycat

Working - Just about any drive using FAT or FAT32 including GoFlex 250Gb drive (£27 from Dixons :D !) - Create the volume under Linux or something though otherwise Windoze will force its 32Gb limit on you, however the MS flagship will read partitions bigger than this, just can't create them. Android has no problem with FAT32 volumes bigger than 32Gb

Not working - exFAT, ext2, ext3, NTFS....Seemingly anything not FAT or FAT32.

NTFS support will be really handy, using Astro to connect to NTFS drives over Samba seems to be the only way at the moment.

Guest SilentMobius
Still can't get it to work either after a complete re-format or when trying to mount. I suspect the problem isn't helped by the power saving mode of the disk - i.e. if you don't try to access it at *exactly* the right time, it spins down to conserve power.

I'll have some time over the next few evenings whilst sitting in hotels to have another crack at it - thanks for your help to now...much appreciated

Do you have access to a linux box? it should be trivial to remove those junk partitions with fdisk.

Hmm, shouldn't the Vega's busybox have fdisk?

Anyone know what the layout for the usb devices in /dev is like on the vega, I don't have mine with me right now but I should be able to figure it out if I can work out the block device for the whole drive.

MaxiP, any luck with this as I have the same issue on a 1gb drive and it is bugging me.

Regards.

No - still not working but I have made a little progress. Based on advice earlier, I've been playing with with formatting which different results. As above, when I connected my HD, it showed up in /dev/block/vold as 3 devices - I have just formatted again using a different tool (Easeus Partition Manager) and have managed to remove of the attached devices (i.e. /dev/block/vold now only shows 8:0 & 8:1). I had noticed that when I had previously formatted the disk, there was a 7.8Mb Unallocated partitiion at the start of the disk. Using Easeus, I was able to do a formary as Primary FAT32 which removed this unallocated space.

However, still can't see the disk but at least it feels like I'm making some progress.

Hope you have better luck

edit - trying again as primary FAT32 with 32k cluster size (previous was 64k)

Edited by MaxiP

No - still not working but I have made a little progress. Based on advice earlier, I've been playing with with formatting which different results. As above, when I connected my HD, it showed up in /dev/block/vold as 3 devices - I have just formatted again using a different tool (Easeus Partition Manager) and have managed to remove of the attached devices (i.e. /dev/block/vold now only shows 8:0 & 8:1). I had noticed that when I had previously formatted the disk, there was a 7.8Mb Unallocated partitiion at the start of the disk. Using Easeus, I was able to do a formary as Primary FAT32 which removed this unallocated space.

However, still can't see the disk but at least it feels like I'm making some progress.

Hope you have better luck

edit - trying again as primary FAT32 with 32k cluster size (previous was 64k)

I've had a success - using the Easeus tool above, I reformatted as FAT32 but with a 32k cluster size. Nothing else was changed and finally, my external HD connected successfully to the Vega !!

I'm a happy bunny again :D

Guest ChocolateRobot
Lenovo Mini Wireless Keyboard N5901

Lenovo-Mini-Wireless-Keyboard-N5901-2-e1268028668456.jpg

Works perfectly!

Nik, does the mouse / trackball work too? I know works perfectly tends to suggest as such but thought I would check. Cheers.

Edited by ChocolateRobot

Guest andrewdolphin
I thought I would try an "INTEGRAL" SDHC USB Adapter with the original Vega SD card in it - - it works and sees it as USB storage in ifilemanager

;)

If you don't mind me asking - is it this one?

I've had no success directly connecting both a Canon SX200is camera and a Pentax Optio WS80. Also no luck with a generic multi-card reader from 7dayshop.

Standard USB keys of this type work fine

Guest stevesilk51
If you don't mind me asking - is it this one?

I've had no success directly connecting both a Canon SX200is camera and a Pentax Optio WS80. Also no luck with a generic multi-card reader from 7dayshop.

Standard USB keys of this type work fine

Hi Andrew,

Yes that's the one I use.

Regards

Steve

Guest gingercat

What app are people using to view a USB webcam? Plugged mine in (attached to a telescope), but I can't seem to find any way to view it (yes, I'm in USB-Host mode). Thanks in advance.

What app are people using to view a USB webcam? Plugged mine in (attached to a telescope), but I can't seem to find any way to view it (yes, I'm in USB-Host mode). Thanks in advance.

Have you tried settings > USB Camera??

Guest gingercat
Have you tried settings > USB Camera??

Ta - yes, already checked that, but no change, have tried using the camera app, but it just uses the onboard camera. I guess it could just be my camera isn't recognized.

Guest extrememonkey

OK tried two hard drives but both fail to recognise.....

Is there anything special I need to do or should they just be visible if using ifile explorer or root explore???

I'm in idb host mode and both drivers are fat32

Guest thedicemaster

extrememonkey: reboot your tablet, plug in one of the hard drives, and tell me what files you see in the folder /dev/block/vold

the files starting with an 8 are most important.

Guest extrememonkey
extrememonkey: reboot your tablet, plug in one of the hard drives, and tell me what files you see in the folder /dev/block/vold

the files starting with an 8 are most important.

No files what so ever..... Nothing!!!

Guest thedicemaster

extrememonkey, try the solution that worked for MaxiP:

I've had a success - using the Easeus tool above, I reformatted as FAT32 but with a 32k cluster size. Nothing else was changed and finally, my external HD connected successfully to the Vega !!

I'm a happy bunny again ;)

the 8:1 file shows your partitioning is right and the drive is recognized, so it must be a problem with the filesystem(such as a too-big cluster size)

Guest lambrettalad

I have an 80gb hdd in a cheap caddy, the hdd was from an old laptop. Using easus I formatted this as fat32 and then plugged it in, this didn't work.

I then noticed that a small partition had been created in front of the main one. I removed the main partion and increased the small one, formatted this to fat32 with a 32k cluster size, this didnt work.

I then decreased the partition to 30gb, formatted fat32 with a 32gb cluster size plugged it in and it worked.

The following day while out and about I plugged in the hdd and didnt work, i found out later that the vega needs to have the charger plugged in for the caddy to work.

I created a second 30gb partition with the same settings but the vega cant see this.

Is it possible to get the vega to see the two partitions?