08 Aug GRJ22 colour revert: Superboot - rooting the Nexus S

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest badtant

Hmm, need to get some things clear for me.

I have 2.3.3 with Pauls Superboot. I got 2.3.4 with OTA and tried to install it but got error Status 7. Something about patch_check on boot. I thought I would be able to update without problems (apart from loosing root). Was I wrong? What do I need to do to be able to install the update?

Guest arunshen

I have 2.3.3 with Pauls Superboot. I got 2.3.4 with OTA and tried to install it but got error Status 7. Something about patch_check on boot. I thought I would be able to update without problems (apart from loosing root). Was I wrong? What do I need to do to be able to install the update?

As I understand it, if you have Paul's 2.3.3 MCR, you can't do OTAs. You will need to wait (join the crowd!) for Paul to update his MCR to 2.3.4

Guest Graham19

What version of the Nexus S are you using?

I was running a 2.3.3 Nexus S that had Superboot applied. I ran the update manually (using the full ROM) then flashed CWM recovery and ran the su patch to regain root.

More steps to follow than Superboot but I was feeling a bit braver this time :unsure:

Please see this thread for download details: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1056062

Guest badtant

I'm not using Paul's 2.3.3 MCR, only Superboot on i9020T.

Graham19: What do you mean by "I ran the update manually (using the full ROM)"?

Guest Graham19
I'm not using Paul's 2.3.3 MCR, only Superboot on i9020T.

Graham19: What do you mean by "I ran the update manually (using the full ROM)"?

I downloaded the full ROM from the google servers, copied to phone storage then ran the update through recovery. You'll need an unlocked bootloader, but you should have done that prior to running Superboot.

Instructions can be found here: http://androidforums.com/nexus-s/327991-gu...-2-2-3-1-a.html

Make sure you are using the correct ROM for your phone and your battery is fully charged before you start. The instructions are quite straightforward. Read them through a couple of times before you start and don't miss out any steps!

Edit: Before I started I was on stock 2.3.3 with Superboot to give me root.

Edited by Graham19

Guest Graham19
Ah, I didn't know there were full roms to update with.

So this is full 2.3.4 that I apply the same way as other updates?:

http://android.clients.google.com/packages...41.da820629.zip

That seems to be the right one. It's the one I applied (but I have a i9023).

I'm a noob so I'd hate you to brick your phone on my say-so!

What I did was look round the forums and see if I could find multiple threads that linked to the same download. That let me know I was updating with the correct file. Maybe you could do something similar?

Guest ectole

all right, i screwed up. i´ve got the 2.3.4 update ota and tried to use one of those superboots for 2.3.3 and now my ns won´t boot anymore.

Please, what should i do now? i´m kinda worried now, what should i do to get thiings straight?

Guest ectole

Well, my problem is that i applyed superboot 2.3.3 in a nexus s which had received the 2.3.4 ota update. Now, it won´t boot anymore. I have Clockworkmod installed but i just can´t upload anything to my phone cause i just can´t activate the usb debug mode since it won´t boot. My question is if there´s anything i can do to fix this or if i have to wait to 2.3.4 superboot and if that might solve this problem. Thank you all gays!

Guest Mr.Clark

If you can boot into Clockwork, you should be able to mount the SD card so that it can be seen by a computer. You can drop files onto that, then unmount it and the phone can see them again, so you can flash from them.

I can't remember the exact options as my phone has picked up a nasty habit of replacing CWM with the default recovery every chance it gets.

Guest ectole
If you can boot into Clockwork, you should be able to mount the SD card so that it can be seen by a computer. You can drop files onto that, then unmount it and the phone can see them again, so you can flash from them.

I can't remember the exact options as my phone has picked up a nasty habit of replacing CWM with the default recovery every chance it gets.

thanks for answering!

On clockwork i can see Mounts and Storage Menu, from which it goes:

mount/sdcard as you said

When i hit it, the pc sounds like a new drive is coming but explorer won´t show it.

Am I doing something wrong?

by the way, my ns is GT-i9020T

Guest ectole
How long did you wait? Mine takes ages... try dismounting, then remounting too.

It worked! I just hit the option "mount usb drive" on clockwork mode and the computer was able to see the device, then i copied a backup image to clockwork/backup/ folder (i guess this is the right path) and restored it.

Thanks for your help, i really appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest J.F.Gratton

Well, it seems that I've screwed up as well...

I'm coming from the iPhone world where jailbreaking a phone is quite easy. Android rooting seems to be, as well, but I guess I missed a few things.

Basically I'm on 2.3.4 and used superboot on it. The phone is now bricked and don't know how to factory reset it on 2.3.3 or 2.3.4. I don't care about losing data (well, it's already done with the fastboot oem unlock, anyway). I just need a working phone :-)

I read you people talking about GRJ22 and such. Where does that ID come from ?

Any help would be appreciated. It is said that one should learn from his errors. Boy, will I learn from this one ! :o

<EDIT:

I must correct myself: the phone is not bricked as I can get on fastboot/recovery. It just won't boot.

The phone was vanilla (gingerbread, unrooted, etc). From the fastboot, how can I revert it to either 2.3.3 or 2.3.4 ?

/EDIT>

<RE-EDIT:

Most if not all solutions offered required some custom recovery as CWM, which 1- should have been installed beforehand and 2- required root access, and since my problem started when I tried to root my NS, I figured I was stuck.

I went to my retailer, and managed with some fancy arguments to get a new phone free of charge :D

Case closed for now; I'll await the next update from Paul.

Well, I've learned something: the bootloader is quite important on NS. On iPhone I could use BL 3.6 or 4.9 without bothering. Here, each BL seems to be version-specific. I've learned that, so I'm not *the* ultimate newbie anymore :D

/EDIT>

Edited by J.F.Gratton

Guest Provolino

The problem was you user Superboot for 2.3.3 on a device with 2.3.4 (we need an update from Paul about that).

Anyway, if you can power the phone in bootloader, you can still flash recovery using fastboot commands so don't worry next time ;)

Guest J.F.Gratton
The problem was you user Superboot for 2.3.3 on a device with 2.3.4 (we need an update from Paul about that).

Anyway, if you can power the phone in bootloader, you can still flash recovery using fastboot commands so don't worry next time ;)

Ho... see how new I'm to Android. I wasn't aware that I could use fastboot commands to recover from a borked bootloader. I figured it was because Superboot wasn't written for GRJ22 that I got into that predicament. Anyway, I got a new phone now, I for sure won't make the same -dumb- mistake twice :-)

-- Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest gulao

Hi Paul;

Nice work.

Any chance this GR140 version may work on my new nexus S

Gingerbread version 2.3.3

baseband version I9023XXKB3

Kernel version 2.6.35.7-g1d030a7

android-build@apa28#1

build number gr154

Thanks

Guest Chamb'

Hi Paul;

Nice work.

Any chance this GR140 version may work on my new nexus S

Gingerbread version 2.3.3

baseband version I9023XXKB3

Kernel version 2.6.35.7-g1d030a7

android-build@apa28#1

build number gr154

Thanks

No, It will not work, I also made the GRI54 superboot, all versions of one click root are here: http://www.megaupload.com/?f=Z5BQXS41

• 2 weeks later...