16GB SD cards that definitely work

Guest stanno

Guest jimwormold
I have a TFT screen. I can't remember if it was "Lead" or "Truly" and that code doesn't seem to work anymore. Mine is only a few weeks old so it's probably not the old chipset.

Thanks Chewi, sounds the same as mine (recently purchased originally with GEN1 and a TFT screen).

The reason I was suspicious is because of the order that the blades have been released. GEN1 (OLED), GEN2(TFT) and now more recently GEN1(TFT) (which I presume ours is one of). Oh well I'll order an 16GB Innov8 Class 10 and find out I guess!

**EDIT** It's out of stock!

Edited by jimwormold

Guest Roph
Thanks Chewi, sounds the same as mine (recently purchased originally with GEN1 and a TFT screen).

The reason I was suspicious is because of the order that the blades have been released. GEN1 (OLED), GEN2(TFT) and now more recently GEN1(TFT) (which I presume ours is one of). Oh well I'll order an 16GB Innov8 Class 10 and find out I guess!

**EDIT** It's out of stock!

GEN (in the context of blades) refers to the memory layout, not hardware revisions or screen types. You can change a GEN1 OLED (the fact that GEN1 OLED blades exist disproves your point) to GEN2 and even back again.

If I'm not mistaken, all blades sold by orange in the UK are Gen1, even brand new ones.

Edited by Roph

Guest Airazz
If I'm not mistaken, all blades sold by orange in the UK are Gen1, even brand new ones.

I can confirm this, I've just bought one and it's Gen1.

Is it possible to change it into Gen2? Is it any better than Gen1?

Guest Mushroom_Lord

Right Ho.

Ive had a working 8gb class 4 kingston in my blade. Workin' fine.

So now I'm going 16gb with a play's own class 4 card.

Hoping it works as lots of people have trouble with the kingston's and not the others, so if mine can handle the kingston, i'll hope it can take a play's own one.

And we REALLY need to sort out what is going on here: So.

1) What cards do and do not work on your phone. (So far, the stock and a Kingston 8gb Class 4)

2) What is your build number (if you can remember) (B08, I believe)

3) Where did you buy your blade. (Via the Orange website)

Hopefully, if everyone can answer these questions, we might be able to piece something together.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jimwormold
GEN (in the context of blades) refers to the memory layout, not hardware revisions or screen types. You can change a GEN1 OLED (the fact that GEN1 OLED blades exist disproves your point) to GEN2 and even back again.

@Roph - I'm not sure if that disproves my point or not. I am aware that Gen1 and Gen2 are different memory layouts and have nothing to do with screens - I have changed mine to memory layout to Gen2 so that I could run CM7.0.3. I was trying to see whether or not there was a discernible difference in terms of the chipset between the @chewi's and @SteliosGR's blades which is alluded to by @pelliot that I mentioned in my first post. As it happens @Stelios did not reply, but @chewi kindly did and it seems we have the same blade build - I recklessly went ahead and ordered.

In any case I can report that the PNY 16GB Class1 from play.com works a treat, although I haven't benchmarked it officially it was happily writing at over 10MB/s as reported by the notoriously accurate Windows copy dialog.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest SteliosGR

I have a TFT screen. I can't remember if it was "Lead" or "Truly" and that code doesn't seem to work anymore. Mine is only a few weeks old so it's probably not the old chipset.

I apologize for delaying to response.

How could I recognize my screen type and chip type?

I think that I have TFT screen type but I am not sure.

I am searching to buy a 16 or 8 GB class8 or class 10 (in order to move dalvik cache to the sd).

Do you propose me any card that definitely works with blade???

Guest airs pl

I use the card A-Data 16GB Class6 (very cheap) for more than a month and works perfectly :)

Results in SDTools 8.3MB read and 22MB write.

Partitions: FAT32 15,5GB and ext3 550MB (A2SD, and dalvik)

My OSF has a TFT screen and was originally a Gen1.

(ROMs used: Swedish Spring GEN1 and GSF GEN2)

Edited by airs pl

Guest SteliosGR

I use the card A-Data 16GB Class6 (very cheap) for more than a month and works perfectly :)

Results in SDTools 8.3MB read and 22MB write.

Partitions: FAT32 15,5GB and ext3 550MB (A2SD, and dalvik)

My OSF has a TFT screen and was originally a Gen1.

(ROMs used: Swedish Spring GEN1 and GSF GEN2)

can you give us a link of the card in a shop?

I am searching to buy a 16 or 8 GB class8 or class 10 (in order to move dalvik cache to the sd).

Do you propose me any card that definitely works with blade???

Edited by SteliosGR

Guest josh bartsch

i have the same problem, whenever im downloading large files or transfering large files to my sd card it gets REALLY hot...

Guest SteliosGR

i have the same problem, whenever im downloading large files or transfering large files to my sd card it gets REALLY hot...

Which card do you have?

Guest drsingh

Just to add to the thread,I didn't know there was an SD card issue before I came upon this thread.I have a dell branded gen2 device.my phone originally came with a transcend 2.gig micro SD card.made in Korea.I then put in my 1 and half year old sandisk 8 gig class.2 from my Nokia 5800.I then purchased a 16 gig transcend.made in china.mainly because it comes.with a lifetime warranty.all cards worked just fine.I think Gen 2 devices have no issues now. I am running stock froyo.

Guest targetbsp

Samsung have a new range of fast SD cards coming out that make a mockery of my understanding of the class ratings!:

16gb Class 6 with a read speed of 24mb/sec and a write of 13mb/sec for £15.99

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/21373670/Samsung-16GB-Essential-Micro-SD-Memory-Card-Class-6/Product.html

16gb Class 10 with a read of 24mb/sec and write of 21mb/sec for £22.49

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/21373672/Samsung-16GB-Plus-Micro-SD-Card-Class-10/Product.html

No idea as to their compatibility with the Blade but I'm gonna find out with the cheaper of the 2. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest m_w_clarke

Samsung have a new range of fast SD cards coming out that make a mockery of my understanding of the class ratings!:

16gb Class 6 with a read speed of 24mb/sec and a write of 13mb/sec for £15.99

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/21373670/Samsung-16GB-Essential-Micro-SD-Memory-Card-Class-6/Product.html

16gb Class 10 with a read of 24mb/sec and write of 21mb/sec for £22.49

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/21373672/Samsung-16GB-Plus-Micro-SD-Card-Class-10/Product.html

No idea as to their compatibility with the Blade but I'm gonna find out with the cheaper of the 2. :D

I am *that* close to ordering the 16GB version. What are your experiences with it?

Edited by m_w_clarke

Guest gr3yar3a

I ordered one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002NTP06K/ref=oss_product

What I got was a Sandisk 16GB Class 4, which works perfeclty up to it's maximum capacity in my Orange San Franciso (TFT), which is running a Froyo 2.2 build (unfortunately I've forgotten which one, but it was the build recommended on http://chrislowthian.co.uk before he updated the guide to a 2.3 build.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest targetbsp

I am *that* close to ordering the 16GB version. What are your experiences with it?

Sorry! I forgot to return to this thread.

Benchmark here:

It's fast but not as fast as the box says! Whether the box lies or the phone is at it's limit, I don't know.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest unrandomsam

I have today recieved my 16GB Sandisk microSDHC Card from Play.Com

Transfered all my data etc. from the original 2 Gb card & all is working okay on my OSF :)

Best cards available atm

both at play.com

lexar class4

8GB £5.99

16GB £11.99

(Seem to perform at least (Possibly faster even read speed) as well as the PNY class 10 I have).