16GB SD cards that definitely work

Guest stanno

Guest stanno

Just to reply to my own thread - thanks to reports here I got a ScanDisk 16GB Class 2 from Play.com and it's working fine. It seems like this card works for everyone so may be a safe choice if unsure.

Guest Ralph Martin
That's what I thought but it's simply not true. To be sure of having a working one, I bought the Kingston 16GB Class 4 card but it doesn't work in either the OLED or TFT SFs that we have. I paid £22 for it rather than £16 for one from Play so I'm not too pleased about it. It keeps unmounting. The problem I now have is sending a card back that will no doubt test ok in a PC and that's what the vendor will base his test / refund against.

I've got just the same issue with Kingston 16GB Class 4 card. Did you resolve your problem in the end? If so, how?

Guest Ralph Martin
For my own part, my 16GB card threw a bit of a hissy fit the first time it was used, but has been rock solid both for file transfers between laptop and phone and for general purpose use (photos, backups, caching, test file transfers) ever since, and that's been around 10 days of faultless operation. I'm using the stock Orange ROM. If those with problems have modified their Blades then I guess they don't have much cause to complain. Go back to stock and then see what happens.

I'm on the Stock Orange B08 ROM, and am getting issues with a Kingston 16Gb Class 4 SD.

I've recently moved on from the stock B05 ROM to Japanese Jellyfish 3b and now 4. My Play.com Class 4 16GB card is still working perfectly with the new ROMs, and of course I had no problem copying the ROMs over to the phone via USB in the first place. No problem with Nandroid backups either.

The way the reports are coming in for a wide variety of cards I would draw the conclusion that there is some sort of problem with contact reliability between the phone and the card. I find it difficult to believe that so many cards are duff from so many different manufacturers. Also, given that there are few/no complaints about the phone when used with the original card I struggle to see what other cause there might be for these problems. My guess is a badly seated card.

Edited by tdodd

Guest cecanor
I've just got This one from Play.com and the phone will not see it at all.

When inserted it just says "SD card removed. Please insert new one". It cannot be seen in recovery mode either. I've tried formatting the card on the PC and then inserting in the phone but still no good.

However, my wifes HTC Wildfire can see the card fine. I formatted the card again in her phone and then inserted into the SF but still it won't see it.

I will see what it is like when we have the new 2.2 releases after next week and see if that makes any difference. I can't help feeling that this is a software issue rather than a hardware one as other devices that I have had, camera's, phones etc, have been able to see larger SD cards after a software update. As I understand it, as long as the hardware supports the SDHC standard (rather than just SD) then the size limit is governed by the software.

I also think that we should list what firmware we are running to see if there are any combinations that definately work.

I am running "Sebastian404's de-orangeated-rom - r7" ROM

I have the same problem with my OLED Orange UK one Play.com 16gb class 4. And after 16GB Class 4 started not working 2GB Verbatim one has a similar problem now. I replaced the phone twice, replaced Verbatims several times in Orange store. But now I can't use SD Cards. At the longest time I use, I could download something 5 MB and SD Card Unexpectedly Removed, Preparing SD Card after Damaged SD Card warnings appear. Is this a general problem?

Guest stanno
I've recently moved on from the stock B05 ROM to Japanese Jellyfish 3b and now 4. My Play.com Class 4 16GB card is still working perfectly with the new ROMs, and of course I had no problem copying the ROMs over to the phone via USB in the first place. No problem with Nandroid backups either.

The way the reports are coming in for a wide variety of cards I would draw the conclusion that there is some sort of problem with contact reliability between the phone and the card. I find it difficult to believe that so many cards are duff from so many different manufacturers. Also, given that there are few/no complaints about the phone when used with the original card I struggle to see what other cause there might be for these problems. My guess is a badly seated card.

There's no way it's just a badly seated card issue. I wasn't going to throw away £18 lightly so I spent ages fitting and re-fitting the first card I got. It never worked, not once over several days trying. To me that proved it isn't just a seating issue.

The reason I started this thread is that I wanted to find a card which worked for other people. Everyone who posted said the ScanDisk 16GB class 2 from play.com worked, so I got one and.... it works. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Guest Ralph Martin

Interesting. I just took the 16Gb card that didn't work, and put it in an HTC phone. I managed to format it OK in there. I then put it back in my Blade, and formatted it there. It seemed to be working. Then I put it in a PC, and copied files to it. It then stopped working again. I went round the whole cycle, and it's back in my Blade working OK. There's definitely something strange going on here.

Next up is to try to copy the files from my old card using USB cable with the new card in the phone, rather than putting the new card in a PC to do the copy...

Anyone got a good explanation for this behaviour?

Guest samjam
Interesting. I just took the 16Gb card that didn't work, and put it in an HTC phone. I managed to format it OK in there. I then put it back in my Blade, and formatted it there. It seemed to be working. Then I put it in a PC, and copied files to it. It then stopped working again. I went round the whole cycle, and it's back in my Blade working OK. There's definitely something strange going on here.

Next up is to try to copy the files from my old card using USB cable with the new card in the phone, rather than putting the new card in a PC to do the copy...

I note that my 2G card isn't recognized as having valid partitions when plugged directly into my PC, but is when connected via the phone.

I had put this down to strange block-device wrapping of Android in that it doesn't really expose the full raw device, but the symptoms match what you describe.

I would say this is similar to the old LBA/CHS problem of the victorian age but it doesn't make sense for linearly addressed storage.

But... if keeping the device in the phone works - then do that!

There's a post over on the Vega sub-forum where someone complains of problems with a Sandisk 16GB Class 2 card. He also asserts that the error/failure rate with micro SDHC cards is quite high. I have no idea how true that is but it might explain the random nature of problems and successes being reported here.

There is another card thread on the Blade sub-forum where there is the suggestion that the mechanism of resting the card into place on the Blade, rather than sliding it into position as with most devices, is a possible reason for poor contact and thus unreliable connection. This is because debris and oxides are not scraped off as the card is positioned. I have no idea how probable that is as a cause of problems, but it does not seem unreasonable to me.

I think the reality is that we still do not have statistically meaningful results achieved under controlled conditions - different phones, different ROMS, different cards, different USB ports, different people, different climatic conditions - just too many variables and nowhere near enough samples.

Guest Ralph Martin
He also asserts that the error/failure rate with micro SDHC cards is quite high.

That does not explain why the same card always works in the PC, always stops working in the Blade if formatted on the PC, and so far, works fine on the Blade if formatted in the Blade.

This includes multiple insertions and removals and re-seatings (the card has now been in and out of my phone perhaps 20 times), so I'd be pretty sure it is not a contacts issue, as the effects are consistent with the state of the card. If it were contacts, it would not show this "history" effect. This seems more consistent with some kind of software issue (depending on the state of the card), not a hardware issue.

Guest Ralph Martin

Bang goes another theory. Card worked fine, until I started copy some files to it from my Mac over the USB cable. I then got an "SD Card unexpectedly removed" message.

Guest stanno
Bang goes another theory. Card worked fine, until I started copy some files to it from my Mac over the USB cable. I then got an "SD Card unexpectedly removed" message.

That's the exact problem many people had - including me.

Guest netdudeuk
I've got just the same issue with Kingston 16GB Class 4 card. Did you resolve your problem in the end? If so, how?

No but I've been dealing with Kingston directly who have sent me an RMA.

Guest netdudeuk
That does not explain why the same card always works in the PC, always stops working in the Blade if formatted on the PC, and so far, works fine on the Blade if formatted in the Blade.

Ah yes, same for me as well but do try this please. I expect miserable failure :unsure: On the phone, simply copy a file on the card and then paste it elsewhere on the card. I used the built-in Filer on the stock B05 ROM. I'd expect that any similar app will give the same result though. My test does at least show that the issue has got nothing to do with the PC OS or drivers. It's a local phone / SD card issue.

Guest netdudeuk
For what it's worth, I even went to the Kingston "verify" site where you could check you had a genuine Kingston card. Mine checked out fine. But it does not work fine.

Kingston wanted to verify mine, which is fair enough. Authentic of course :unsure:

Guest netdudeuk

Yes, that's because the phone was probably not writing anything to the card until you used the Mac.

Guest Ralph Martin
Yes, that's because the phone was probably not writing anything to the card until you used the Mac.

No, I moved quite a few files around on the card first. It was only when I tried a sustained long write operation it fell over.

Guest netdudeuk
No, I moved quite a few files around on the card first. It was only when I tried a sustained long write operation it fell over.

That's more or less like me as well. My copies from the PC gave me more than a zero percent progress bar before the card eventually unmounted. Data volumes seem relevant.