16GB SD cards that definitely work

Guest stanno

Guest Dalstorp

I bought a 16 GB Sandisk class 2 card from sweburn that does NOT work in my Blade :unsure: link: http://www.sweburn.com/product.php?product...t=71&page=1

It is not mounted and after I take it out it seams to be slightly hot (this is not the case with any of the other cards)

I have tried with two Kingston 8 GB cards Class 4 and 8 and a 8 GB no name card without any success, the class 4 Kingston works some time for a short while ?!

The 2 GB sandisk received with the phone and a old 2 GB sandisk works fine.

All cards work fine in my cameras, computer, phone, ...

So if I would by the Sandisk 16 GB class 2 card from Play.com would it work and what is the difference from the one at Swedburn?

Guest PeterPandroid

This memory card problem is quite staggering. Doesn't the OS read the card profile and therefore know how to deal with its capacity/timings? All this Class N does/doesn't work makes little sense with modern serial memory. Well, what I'm saying is that this part of the Android coding appears to be flaky.

I just Googled "android card error" and one of the first results returned was this software to supposedly cure the problem....

http://aliwaqas.info/fix-damaged-memory-ca...h-sd-formatter/

I haven't a clue whether it will do the job, or even if it is safe, and as I do not suffer from the problem and do not have a card reader capable of reading micro SDHC cards I cannot put it to the test, but still....

Guest Ralph Martin
I haven't a clue whether it will do the job, or even if it is safe, and as I do not suffer from the problem and do not have a card reader capable of reading micro SDHC cards I cannot put it to the test, but still....

Hmm. I'm trying that now. I'm having to use Parallels on my Mac to run the PC based formatter. At current progress, it seems like it will take over 24 hours (!) to full format my 16Gb card. I dunno if that is what it always takes, or if my card is dud, or if this is the result of using Parallels, but I have little faith in a successful outcome on this one...

Edited by Ralph Martin

Guest glemmy

Picked up the 16 GB Kingston MicroSDHC Class 4-card recently that I ordered from mymemory.co.uk like a month ago (it got stuck in the customs as they send from Jersey => I had to pay Swedish VAT+handling charges :unsure: )

After struggling for hours with getting the phone to identify it I'm about to give up.

Formated it in 3 different phones and with 3 different softwares for my computer, tried the stock ROM (Swedish Telia) and a few custom but still nothing.

Shitty phone B)

Guest Stephen_Allen
I just Googled "android card error" and one of the first results returned was this software to supposedly cure the problem....

http://aliwaqas.info/fix-damaged-memory-ca...h-sd-formatter/

tried that with the Kingston 8Gb Class 4 I got and still no joy

Guest glemmy
tried that with the Kingston 8Gb Class 4 I got and still no joy

I would like to add that I tried this on the card I mentioned above as well, without luck :unsure:

I tried my Moto Milestone 8gb card in my SF (TFT version from Dec) and i have had the same problem, its not working, corrupt SD, but works ok in PC

lucky i bought my gf a SF (OLED version) and the card works in her SF !! so i think its a phone problem, and not an SD card issue.

I have ordered a play 8gb card, i will try that, but if that doesnt work, im going to flash back to stock rom and return for a replacement, as im 99% certain its the phone.

Edited by NoxyD

Guest Kuteguy

just for the record my 16gb got really full really quickly cause I have a really big one - it was from play.com. Worked/works perfectly.

I just got a 32gb play.com and that too works perfectly

now to get on eBay and sell my 16gb that I no longer need

Guest cartierv

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting the view that sd cards in android phones are a kind of disposable storage, a luxury that may bork at any time.

Basically the message seems to be: Don't store anything important on the sd card and back up every day.

I've got an 8 gb Kingston coming, but I wish I hadn't bothered now reading what people have written.

Guest Ralph Martin
Hmm. I'm trying that now. I'm having to use Parallels on my Mac to run the PC based formatter. At current progress, it seems like it will take over 24 hours (!) to full format my 16Gb card. I dunno if that is what it always takes, or if my card is dud, or if this is the result of using Parallels, but I have little faith in a successful outcome on this one...

Got a friend with a PC to erase the card following the above suggestion. The card formatted OK but it said it could not erase it (why?).

Then put it back in the phone and formatted it. Then tried to copy files to it, and ... card reported as damaged as before.

Guest tomatoface
just for the record my 16gb got really full really quickly cause I have a really big one - it was from play.com. Worked/works perfectly.

I just got a 32gb play.com and that too works perfectly

now to get on eBay and sell my 16gb that I no longer need

Hi - it would be really useful if people could state the exact make and model of MicroSDHC card that is working and also the type of phone (i.e OLED or TFT). This is the first post that I've read with a working 32GB card. :unsure:

Hi - it would be really useful if people could state the exact make and model of MicroSDHC card that is working and also the type of phone (i.e OLED or TFT). This is the first post that I've read with a working 32GB card. :D

Play.com own branded 16GB Class 4 works flawlessly in my OLED San Fran running stock B05 ROM and also Japanese Jellyfish 3b, 4 and 5.

Guest samjam

I ordered from play and got notice that it was shipped on 28th December, but I still don't have delivery of it! I have to wait 21 days before I can "complain" and get a refund or re-shipment.

Guest oh!dougal
I tried my Moto Milestone 8gb card in my SF (TFT version from Dec) and i have had the same problem, its not working, corrupt SD, but works ok in PC

lucky i bought my gf a SF (OLED version) and the card works in her SF !! so i think its a phone problem, and not an SD card issue.

I have ordered a play 8gb card, i will try that, but if that doesnt work, im going to flash back to stock rom and return for a replacement, as im 99% certain its the phone.

I really think its the fit of the card in the socket.

The socket design does NOT make a "wiping contact" (most card readers do) and therefore its bound to be very sensitive to any tarnish, finger grease, or whatever getting in the way of plural perfect electrical contacts with the card.

There will be a variation in thickness of individual cards, and the sockets in different phones, quite apart from variable micro contamination on card and socket contacts --- all of which will contribute to success or failure, and the variability of results demonstrated in this thread.

I would be astonished if there was any significant difference (between different roms) in the sdcard interface software.

Edited by oh!dougal

I have not used a card reader (dont have one yet, will get one with my new 8b card), i used an old phone + usb cable.

I have tried to fit the SD card 15-20 times, cleaning it, fitting, refitting, reformatting etc and until i get my new SD card, i cannot rule out its a phone problem until i get my new SD card.

I dont think its a ROM issue either.

Got my Card reader and 8GB Play.com card. Put card in, and it detected it fine, but as soon as i copied anything to it, it doesnt work.

Now i cannot get it to report anything at all with either 8GB card, 2 gb one that came with phone fine.

Both 8GB cards work fine in the other SF. i think its a phone problem.

I get the following notifications when putting in my 8gb cards

Preparing SD Card....

then

Removed SD Card

other times i get "Sim Card removed, insert a new one" (when the card is there)

After any of the above, if i put in my 2gb one, it works fine.

Got my Card reader and 8GB Play.com card. Put card in, and it detected it fine, but as soon as i copied anything to it, it doesnt work.

Now i cannot get it to report anything at all with either 8GB card, 2 gb one that came with phone fine.

Both 8GB cards work fine in the other SF. i think its a phone problem.

I get the following notifications when putting in my 8gb cards

Preparing SD Card....

then

Removed SD Card

other times i get "Sim Card removed, insert a new one" (when the card is there)

After any of the above, if i put in my 2gb one, it works fine.

I had the same problem with my 8gb card from play.. Worked fine in the PC, not in the phone.. I returned it for a refund. Now looking for another card that actually works..

Guest SportyBen

did anyone check if this problem got somehow better with the newly released 2.2 kernel from zte?

i still believe/hoep this is some kind of software problem which could be fixed by a software update.

my experience is with the 2gb sd card which is with the phone.

i wrote/ereased a lot of stuff during the day, (un)mounting the sd many times. everything went smooth, until i copied some pictures (wallpapers) to the sd. i got an sd card error. from then on, i couldn't get the sd card read again. i tried to press it, to move it, to clean it, nothing.

so i tried another sd card on phone and it worked. i tried the "damaged" sd card on another phone and it worked. i ereased the wallpapers and tried to put again the sd card in the zte blade. this time it worked. i hope i won't have this problem again.

and i'd really like a 16gb card :D but it seems this phone has problems reading sd cards..

Guest Ralph Martin

Just tried a second 16Gb Kingston card in my phone, this time one without a class rating. Put the card in and it said it was damaged. Formatted it - it then looked OK. I then started a Titanium Backup to it. On about the 4th file to be copied it said the card had been unexpectedly removed. This is the second card I have tried.

Seems like there is at least a fault on my phone, if not a design fault on these phones in general, given that I am not the only one to have this issue.

Here's the $64000 question: how come the 2Gb card which came with the phone works flawlessly, but other cards I have tried always fall over?