16GB SD cards that definitely work

Guest stanno

Guest Ralph Martin
I really think its the fit of the card in the socket.

The socket design does NOT make a "wiping contact" (most card readers do) and therefore its bound to be very sensitive to any tarnish, finger grease, or whatever getting in the way of plural perfect electrical contacts with the card.

There will be a variation in thickness of individual cards, and the sockets in different phones, quite apart from variable micro contamination on card and socket contacts --- all of which will contribute to success or failure, and the variability of results demonstrated in this thread.

I don't buy this as the cause of the problem, I am afraid

- I get failures with brand new cards never out of their packets, with no tarnish and contacts never touched

- I even tried a small slip of paper behind the card to ensure it was making a tight contact

- I've tried reseating the cards within the play the socket allows

- ALL 3rd party cards I have tried have fallen over while in use

- the supplied card works perfectly and has never fallen over

Edited by Ralph Martin

Guest nedmundo1

I've got the Play 16gb cards for both my handsets. On both occasions, it showed a damaged SD card error message. Taking the cards out and reinserting fixed the issue on both occasions.

Guest nedmundo1
does all this mean that class 4 cards don't work?

ive seen quite a few negative comments on them...

They work fine, but in my case only after reinserting them.

Guest mouseman99

I really need a 16GB card but all this uncertainty is very frustrating. The last thing you need is to buy a card and be stuck with it because it doesnt work. Is it possible to buy a 16GB card by the same manufacturer of the 2GB card that came with it and if so does that work?

I really need a 16GB card but all this uncertainty is very frustrating. The last thing you need is to buy a card and be stuck with it because it doesnt work. Is it possible to buy a 16GB card by the same manufacturer of the 2GB card that came with it and if so does that work?

The original brand is Verbatim, at least in my phone. I think you'll pay dearly for the privilege of sticking with the brand though. I also would not assume any certainty that it will be more (or less) successful then any other brand because to date I don't think there is any consistent pattern whatsoever regarding success or failure. Various brands succeed and fail. Various capacities succeed and fail. Various classes succeed and fail. It seems to be a lottery.

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pl/61-2574849...-Compare-Prices

Guest charliemike
The original brand is Verbatim, at least in my phone. I think you'll pay dearly for the privilege of sticking with the brand though. I also would not assume any certainty that it will be more (or less) successful then any other brand because to date I don't think there is any consistent pattern whatsoever regarding success or failure. Various brands succeed and fail. Various capacities succeed and fail. Various classes succeed and fail. It seems to be a lottery.

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pl/61-2574849...-Compare-Prices

I got a 8GB Kingston Class 4 Card that got me the disconnect error every time i copied some file to it, after reformating it under Ubuntu (Live Cd 10.10) it works without errors even under heavy use...

Guest frequence

This SD Card issue is giving me a headache. i would like to buy a 16GB Card but i am not in the mood of returning one card after the other until i find a card that works.

The more i read about it the less i know what i should buy. Any suggestions?

Guest RussellS

Has anyone bought one 16gb card that didn't work and then replaced it with another one that did work. What I'm getting at is whether some phones just will not work with 16gb cards and some will or if all the phones will work with a 16gb card but are just very fussy about which card.

So basically, has anyone got two 16gb cards, one that works and one that doesn't in the same phone.

Edited by RussellS

Guest Junior Bear

Ordered a sandisk. 16gb sdhc. Is it just plug and play? Will my phone create all the necessary folders that it has with the old one. Just a case of copying stuff over after it's done this?

Guest Matthew Ferguson
Ordered a sandisk. 16gb sdhc. Is it just plug and play? Will my phone create all the necessary folders that it has with the old one. Just a case of copying stuff over after it's done this?

Ordered a 16gb SDHC Class 2 card by Sandisk off play.com for £16 when I got the phone, it works perfectly with no issues. I'd go for that if I were you.

Ordered a 16gb SDHC Class 2 card by Sandisk off play.com for £16 when I got the phone, it works perfectly with no issues. I'd go for that if I were you.

That's the one that works for me, and if you trawl through this thread I think you'll find this is the only card which has worked for everyone that's bought it.

Guest Ricey155

MEMORY2GO CLASS 4 16GB MICRO-SD MEMORY CARD HIGH SPEED

anyone had success with this jobbie from ebay ??

£20 all in cheap but is cheap any good suppose it is if it works ok

Guest redbaron51
MEMORY2GO CLASS 4 16GB MICRO-SD MEMORY CARD HIGH SPEED

anyone had success with this jobbie from ebay ??

£20 all in cheap but is cheap any good suppose it is if it works ok

Just ordered a sandisk 16Gb class2 from play.com @ £15.49.....Handset to be delivered tomorrow

Guest RussellS

As stated earlier in this thread I have the play.com 16gb class 4 SDHC card and I cannot get the phone to even acknowledge that it has been inserted. I have tried formatting it with different utilities, I tried formatting it to ext2, I even partitioned it down and formatted as FAT (not FAT32) and still it will not see the card. I then tried the 16gb class 4 card from my wifes HTC Wildfire which was a MyMemory.com branded one and this was not recognised either. So I then tried the 8gb card from my son's Motorola Milestone which is the one supplied in the phone as new. In this instance the phone would recognise that the card was inserted by displaying in the notification bar "Preparing SD card". However, it would then say "SD card removed, please insert a new one" after a few seconds.

So, I think I am now going to bite the bullet and get the Sandisk class 2 16gb card from Play.com that has been recommended here and see what happens.

I will report my findings when it arrives.

Guest plasticniki

I can confirm the Sandisk class 2 16gb card from Play.com works in my handset. I've not filled it up yet, but I've done a few mp3 file transfers and it's been absolutely fine so far.

My class4 16GB from play.com finally arrived!

Unformatted, it was recognised as "damaged" by Android (Paul's alpha 5) and it failed to be able to format it, so following tips here I booted into clockwork and formatted SD card from there, and that did the trick nicely.

I'm currently copying from my old 2G card (in USB reader) to the new 16G card (mounted in the phone via USB) and getting 2.3MB/s - 3MB/s. (I'm surprised that myold card is reading when plugged directly, as historically it has not done that since it was used in Android - but hey!)

I've copied a lot so far with no obvious problems. (I wonder if titanium backup will work better with this card)

When we swap the card, does the phone create any necessary folders/files? Or do we copy the structure from the old card? (asked before, but no answer as far as I can see). I am awaiting my 16gb class 2 sandisk from play.

Edited by Scope

When we swap the card, does the phone create any necessary folders/files? Or do we copy the structure from the old card? (asked before, but no answer as far as I can see). I am awaiting my 16gb class 2 sandisk from play.

The phone should create folders as it needs them. Certainly when I upgraded my card I did not copy anything over. I simply formatted and carried on using the phone with no ill effects. Of course, if you don't copy stuff over then you will lose things such as Titanium Backup data, music and videos or cached files such as photos.

Guest Junior Bear

Can anybody else confirm this. Mine arived today. If I copy everything will the phone still read the card as if its the old one but bigger. Just don't want anything to mess up

Guest Junior Bear

i can confirm that this guide from the common problems page works fine

nice and simple

If your just using FAT32 (no app2sd) this will be easy

Right Simple - mount the current one over USB on your Computer (you can do this in Android - or in Clockwork)

Copy everything off onto your computer.

Unmount

Swap new card into phone

Remount over USB

Copy everything back on

i bought the sandisk 16gb sdhc and it works perfectly :D

This is looking good! Everyone with a 16gb class 2 SanDisk from play.com seems to have a working card with no problems. That appears to be the safe bet at the moment.

MyMemory have refunded me for the class4 card I returned last week (freepost as well) - good news!

Edited by stanno