16GB SD cards that definitely work

Guest stanno

Guest insurgente

is there any benefit to getting a Class 4 card, i.e. to watch videos?

however, seeing some posts here, it seems the real benefit of a San Disk class 2 card is that it actually works

Guest cicobuff
Verbatim, labelled as Class 2. Basic testing showed much faster speeds than Class 2. Works fine, no bother at all.

Bought from Amazon (EDIT --- that's Amazon UK) nearly 6 months back.

Same here, working fine in mine.

Guest RussellS
This is looking good! Everyone with a 16gb class 2 SanDisk from play.com seems to have a working card with no problems. That appears to be the safe bet at the moment.

MyMemory have refunded me for the class4 card I returned last week (freepost as well) - good news!

I'm in an awkward position now. I've just received the 16gb Sandisk class 2 card from Play.com but when I look at the card itself (visible through the packaging) it is actually a class 4 card.

SandiskMemoryCard.jpg

So I don't know weather to open it and see if it works or just send it back now unopened. It is still described as class 2 on the Play.com website and I may have more trouble sending it back if it has been opened than if not.

This is, of course, bearing in mind that I have tried another class 4 card (Play.com own branded) that didn't work.

Dilemma, dilemma.

I'm in an awkward position now. I've just received the 16gb Sandisk class 2 card from Play.com but when I look at the card itself (visible through the packaging) it is actually a class 4 card.

Just open it and try.. if it doesnt work send it back for a refund.. I have sent back my 16gb Play labelled card and bought a Sandisk Class 2 also from play which I am awaiting delivery for.. It that too turns out to be a class 4 I will open, try and if it doesnt work return it.. No question about it.

Guest RussellS
Just open it and try.. if it doesnt work send it back for a refund.. I have sent back my 16gb Play labelled card and bought a Sandisk Class 2 also from play which I am awaiting delivery for.. It that too turns out to be a class 4 I will open, try and if it doesnt work return it.. No question about it.

Ok, I've gone for it and IT WORKS ;) I've just transfered 1.5gb of data to it in the phone and there were no problems so fingers crossed this will be ok.

Just to clarify, I've tried a Mymemory.com 16gb class 4 card, a Play.com 16gb class 4 card and an unknown make 8gb class 4 card (supplied with Motorola Milestone) all of which didn't work. I have now got a Sandisk 16gb class 4 card which is working.

So it really is starting to appear as though the Sandisk cards are the best option.

Edited by RussellS

All the cards below have worked without any problems in other devices (other phones, PSP, GPS)

16GB Sandisk Class 2 - unable to mount in ClockworkMod Recovery

16GB Sandisk Class 2 #2 - mounts and allows data to be copied but within 1 or 2 days corrupts data (e.g. MD5 fails on ClockworkModRecovery), after this it wont read in Windows - CRC errors on files. Works again for a while in phone after reformat.

16GB Integral Class 4 - won't mount

16GB DaneElec Class 4 - won't mount

8GB 'generic' class 4 - won't mount

8GB 'generic' class 4 - mounts but then SD card removed message once phone started

2GB Verbatim supplied with phone - no problems!

Maybe time to look for a larger Verbatim card...

Guest twatter
Ok, I've gone for it and IT WORKS ;) I've just transfered 1.5gb of data to it in the phone and there were no problems so fingers crossed this will be ok.

Just to clarify, I've tried a Mymemory.com 16gb class 4 card, a Play.com 16gb class 4 card and an unknown make 8gb class 4 card (supplied with Motorola Milestone) all of which didn't work. I have now got a Sandisk 16gb class 4 card which is working.

So it really is starting to appear as though the Sandisk cards are the best option.

Hi RussellS,

Looking good....I'm actually looking for a fast performing card.....If you have time can you perform a quick speed test using

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDi...rk/index-e.html (safe and open source )

Set Test Data Size to 50Mbytes, Number repetitions to one i.e

post-784238-1295038040_thumb.png

Many thanks

Guest RussellS
Hi RussellS,

Looking good....I'm actually looking for a fast performing card.....If you have time can you perform a quick speed test using

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDi...rk/index-e.html (safe and open source )

Set Test Data Size to 50Mbytes, Number repetitions to one i.e

post-784238-1295038040_thumb.png

Many thanks

Here you go, I hope this is helpful.

CrystalDiskMarkResults.jpg

Had a bit of trouble getting it to work because I run a Linux desktop and couldn't get it to run in Wine. Had to boot up another computer and then couldn't remember my Modaco logon etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, are these figures good or bad or just average. I don't really know what to expect from an SDHC card.

Russell

Guest twatter
Anyway, are these figures good or bad or just average. I don't really know what to expect from an SDHC card.

Russell

Okay.....

Not too bad for a class 4 card. Some may have 1 Mbyte higher sequential write, however

the 512k and 4K random reads and writes looks good (this is what your phone will generally use)

My card is just rubbish in the 4K random read / write area

From what I've seen, there's quite a bit of difference between micoSDHC card manufactures

Thanks

Edited by twatter

. I have now got a Sandisk 16gb class 4 card which is working.

All the cards below have worked without any problems in other devices (other phones, PSP, GPS)

16GB Sandisk Class 2 - unable to mount in ClockworkMod Recovery

16GB Sandisk Class 2 #2 - mounts and allows data to be copied but within 1 or 2 days corrupts data (e.g. MD5 fails on ClockworkModRecovery), after this it wont read in Windows - CRC errors on files. Works again for a while in phone after reformat.

crap :|

this is just random.

Guest netdudeuk

this is just random.

(Don't) Tell me about it. I bought a Sandisk 16GB earlier today on the strength of the 'all Sandisks work' comment . That's after trying TWO Kingston 16GBs in TWO SFs and having issues with all combinations.

this is just random.

Not quite. wadgel did not say where the 2 16GB Sandisk Class 2 came from. Everyone who has bought them from Play.com has got them working.

Good point - can't remember where mine came from, but one is 12 months old, and the other about 6.

That said, it is a bit hopeful to expect the ones from Play to all be the same 'batch'.

I wouldn't mind paying more for a card that def. worked (like paying for Verbatim DVDR-DL).

If I buy many more cards it would have been cheaper to get a phone without these problems, although I do now have spares for all my other devices!

Guest RussellS
Good point - can't remember where mine came from, but one is 12 months old, and the other about 6.

That said, it is a bit hopeful to expect the ones from Play to all be the same 'batch'.

I wouldn't mind paying more for a card that def. worked (like paying for Verbatim DVDR-DL).

If I buy many more cards it would have been cheaper to get a phone without these problems, although I do now have spares for all my other devices!

I don't think it is a batch issue but the fact that it is coming from a reputable seller. There are a lot of fake Sandisk cards about that come in very authentic looking packaging and the cards look genuine. So, if it is bought from Play.com, Mymemory.com etc or purchased from a good high street shop like PCworld or Currys (if you want to pay twice as much) then you can be pretty sure that it is a genuine Sandisk card. On the other hand, if it came from eBay or the local market then it is quite possible that it is a fake card.

Here is the packaging for the European 16gb Micro SDHC card.

Packaging3.jpgPackaging4.jpg

This is a photo of the packaging on a fake card from China

microSD_Fake01-1.jpg

Guest Ralph Martin
I don't think it is a batch issue but the fact that it is coming from a reputable seller. There are a lot of fake Sandisk cards about that come in very authentic looking packaging and the cards look genuine.

I tried two different kinds of Kingston cards, ordinary, and class 4, and both of which were verified as genuine on Kingston's site, and neither of which worked. So, it's not just fakes which don't work...

Guest RussellS
I tried two different kinds of Kingston cards, ordinary, and class 4, and both of which were verified as genuine on Kingston's site, and neither of which worked. So, it's not just fakes which don't work...

No, I realise that. What we were trying to get at though is that, so far, everyone who has bought the Sandisk card from Play.com has worked without issue. There were one or two who reported that their Sandisk card didn't work but they couldn't say where they bought them from which makes it difficult to verify whether they are genuine or not.

There have been quite a few who, like you, have bought a genuine Kingston card and found that they don't work.

So it still looks like the Sandisk card, from a reputable seller, is the most reliable option at present.

as many of u guys, i got the unmount problem with my sd card... i got 2 transcend 8GB class6 cards, one is made in korea and the other is made in taiwan...

the korean card is not working. when i try to transfer big files from the PC it unmounts, or even when i try to copy them from one folder to another using the android filer... i tried formating with different sector sizes, formating from the blade, formating using my sd reader, applying pressure on the card... i tried a lot of things, and nothing worked.

The second card (made in taiwan) has absolutely no problem. I bought both of them on the same day from another shop...

I only got the phone for 4 days now... returning it might change anything or i shouldn't bother with DOA???

Guest Borderland
That's what I thought but it's simply not true. To be sure of having a working one, I bought the Kingston 16GB Class 4 card but it doesn't work in either the OLED or TFT SFs that we have. I paid £22 for it rather than £16 for one from Play so I'm not too pleased about it. It keeps unmounting. The problem I now have is sending a card back that will no doubt test ok in a PC and that's what the vendor will base his test / refund against.

I use a lot of microSD cards and I've always used Sandisk (I have a 16GB in my SF) without any issues. I just bout a couple of Kingston cards for a friends M3i and they really suck (so slow that they almost don't work). I was in your situation where I couldn't really send them back as they would work with some devices. I will always stick to what I know works in future.